• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Beginner Questions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
How to chase Peacock down when she's got assists pushing me away? Cerecopter and Brass Knuckles to be exact. There's just this particular guy I face doing it (and he's a jerk) and one word fills my mind: revenge.

I know there's no magic words for this or anything, but there's got to be at least some way to bypass her defenses.
Dude is your team really Fukua/Big Band.

In that case its actually not that bad when you know what you are doing (they are both bad matchups for Peacock).

HP BRASS KNNUCKLE ASSIST: Use it, it is the anti cock, call it anytime you have a gap at about half screen. If the Peacock supers, you can BFF in the middle.

Fukua can use fireball super when peacock is being predictable to get an in from ANYWHERE on screen and a sliding knockdown oki situation.
Fukua can get above Peacock's stuff pretty easy, in this matchup it will most likely be the assists that give you trouble, so try and got a jab on them to lock them out then rush cock down.
Jump back j.236HP is as effective in this matchup as others. Just be careful of teleports.
If you can react to or predict an assist teleport, you can use 236HK and then delay and try to nab Peacock with BFF. Make note of CAN, don't do this all the time haha its obviously a very risky option but it is an effective callout, especially for brass knuckle + teleport in.
When you are in, pressure with j.HK xx 236LP, she doesn't like it, trust me. She has no reversal to hit you in that spot.

Big Band vs Peacock is a really scary matchup on both sides, don't get me wrong, its just that Big Band gets more reward for risk so it tends to be in his favour.

You can super jump forward, watch projectiles and parry, it doesn't cancel your momentum so it is better than blocking them.
5MK xx HP brass knuckle is pretty ridiculous in this matchup. It is also ridiculously risky because Peacock can punish with Argus when it is blocked any range OR even from full screen before it hits, but you are going to land this a fair bit in this matchup anyway, then you get a sliding knockdown and oki, whee.
If your opponent is intelligent they aren't going to be throwing out specials much, just 5HP as it is cancellable into telport, this allows you to approach.
214HK clears ground projectiles, just realise that 214HK is risky at any time, really I hardly use it at all any more it is too reactable.

Dude is your team really Fukua/Big Band.

In that case its actually not that bad when you know what you are doing (they are both bad matchups for Peacock).

HP BRASS KNNUCKLE ASSIST: Use it, it is the anti cock, call it anytime you have a gap at about half screen. If the Peacock supers, you can BFF in the middle.

Fukua can use fireball super when peacock is being predictable to get an in from ANYWHERE on screen and a sliding knockdown oki situation.
Fukua can get above Peacock's stuff pretty easy, in this matchup it will most likely be the assists that give you trouble, so try and got a jab on them to lock them out then rush cock down.
Jump back j.236HP is as effective in this matchup as others. Just be careful of teleports.
If you can react to or predict an assist teleport, you can use 236HK and then delay and try to nab Peacock with BFF. Make note of CAN, don't do this all the time haha its obviously a very risky option but it is an effective callout, especially for brass knuckle + teleport in.
When you are in, pressure with j.HK xx 236LP, she doesn't like it, trust me. She has no reversal to hit you in that spot.

Big Band vs Peacock is a really scary matchup on both sides, don't get me wrong, its just that Big Band gets more reward for risk so it tends to be in his favour.

You can super jump forward, watch projectiles and parry, it doesn't cancel your momentum so it is better than blocking them.
5MK xx HP brass knuckle is pretty ridiculous in this matchup. It is also ridiculously risky because Peacock can punish with Argus when it is blocked any range OR even from full screen before it hits, but you are going to land this a fair bit in this matchup anyway, then you get a sliding knockdown and oki, whee.
If your opponent is intelligent they aren't going to be throwing out specials much, just 5HP as it is cancellable into telport, this allows you to approach.
214HK clears ground projectiles, just realise that 214HK is risky at any time, really I hardly use it at all any more it is too reactable.

Upside down Fukua = Filia, Tomo.

Yeah what Clarence said, I'm using Filia not Fukua. I'm not really good enough with Fukua to incorporate her into my team right now and I should play with her in the lab in a little more before entering the heat of battle.

Filia doesn't have BFF, Fireball Super, or a Double Jump like Fukua (does have LK Airball, but I almost never use it). She does have a Ringlet Spear and Tricobezoar both of which are situation, but those are both too situation and extremely unsafe to use. Can Filia just get over every obstacle Peacock has like Fukua can? I could be wrong, but from my experience Filia has no double jump and probably can't move as high as her counterpart, and if she can I don't really know how to except maybe with an LK Airball. So I just try to Instant Air Dash and MK Airball like I would against most other people, which if I remember correctly seems to work for a while against most other peacocks (Although I am prone to getting Air Thrown by one other guy, but I don't worry about that one). It doesn't seem to work well against against this particular guy I face because I either get punched by a Brass Knuckle assist, or shredded with a Cerecopter assist; even if I do j.mp or airball it gets stuffed and I really don't know what about them. I do try to wait for Argus Agonys so I can Gregor through the darts, but I usually end up letting my guard down somehow and get hit by the whole move and die.

One thing I seem to have going for me against him is that he does not appear to be particularly good with his assist characters Bella and Band, since when I do end up killing Peacock or he switches out and he doesn't do nearly as well with them against me than with cock, although I still lose and die because my health was heavily lowered when cock was alive and I don't have enough to continue fighting.

Upside down Fukua = Filia, Tomo.
gg, I'm out, cooked.

WELL

With Fillia, you want to tow the line between ground projectiles and where plane can hit you quickly. This means doing low to the ground but above TK height hairballs... this is risky, but it is an annoying angle for Peacock.
You want to airdash on reaction to item drops when in the air.
LK hairball air dash forward can be effective, just be careful of teleports or her running under you to the other side of the screen.
If she does Argus, you can roll the dice and try to gregor through. Peacock laser lottery, who will win?

You still wanna tag assists because it will give you time to rush down.

It is tough to get in in this matchup, but when you do, make sure you stick onto her and make her die.
When pressuring, be aware of:
MP Bang
Fake teleport
HK teleport
LK bomb

This matchup is significantly more difficult than the Fukua one, yeah.
So are you running Filia/Brass or Filia/Beat Extend?

If you aren't already, I suggest counterpicking cock with HP brass still, it just helps against cock a lot.

gg, I'm out, cooked.

WELL

With Fillia, you want to tow the line between ground projectiles and where plane can hit you quickly. This means doing low to the ground but above TK height hairballs... this is risky, but it is an annoying angle for Peacock.

But what if he uses Brass Knuckles or Cerecopter assists to hit me back? That's what I fear most and why I can't reach him, I tried doing that and still can't get to him, Cerecopter especially. I tried using j.mp to cut open the super armor, but I still get beat out for whatever reason. And if he uses Cerecopter, he always hit-confirms Argus right after it so I can't block and use Gregor.

And the assist I use is Brass now, thanks. I normally run Beat Extend against other people though.

But what if he uses Brass Knuckles or Cerecopter assists to hit me back? That's what I fear most and why I can't reach him, I tried doing that and still can't get to him, Cerecopter especially. I tried using j.mp to cut open the super armor, but I still get beat out for whatever reason. And if he uses Cerecopter, he always hit-confirms Argus right after it so I can't block and use Gregor.

And the assist I use is Brass now, thanks. I normally run Beat Extend against other people though.
Like I said, the assists are your biggest enemy in this matchup, lock them out, THEN rush cock down.
You are gonna have to be pretty careful while Peacock has Brass assist, make sure your jab band after blocking him.

If cerecopter, well you can hit it meaty or do the same, jab at it. If Peacock is using it well, you are gonna have a bad time trying to get in.

wait for him to call his assist then punish with your own, you will get a counter hit and do a lot of damage. watch out for happy birthdays while you do this, though. and be ready to punish him for punishing your assist.

That doesn't work with cerecopter unfortunately. You need to call HP Brass before or at the same time, else copter will break the armour and win.

wait for him to call his assist then punish with your own, you will get a counter hit and do a lot of damage. watch out for happy birthdays while you do this, though. and be ready to punish him for punishing your assist.

Ok, I understood everything but that. What's a "happy birthday" in this game? Are you referrng to cock's Item Drop?

Ok, I understood everything but that. What's a "happy birthday" in this game? Are you referrng to cock's Item Drop?
Happy Birthday is catching 2 characters at once in a combo. ie. You get 2 for 1 so it is like a birthday present. (3 is called Merry Christmas)

Chat works on my computer. Thanks. Maybe not my brother's for some reason. I'll try to use it to get matches this weekend & maybe PSN Skullbats... Maybe I need to install something on his computer (he has the PS3).

Here's a broad set of questions: How much time do you spend practicing combos in training? Then which lobby do you choose? Do you always stick w/your mains or try others for fun?

That doesn't work with cerecopter unfortunately. You need to call HP Brass before or at the same time, else copter will break the armour and win.

you can still punish it, you just need to wait till the crecopter is almost over then call your assist.

basically, make sure the peacock can just super and hit both your point character and assist at the same time. (or worse get a full combo on both)

So recently I have been in the training mode practicing my DHC combos and something weird has been gonna on with my assists,after I switch back to my point character after the DHC combo to practice it again......my assists swtich on me(Assist 1 become Assist 2 and vice versa )

Also both assists says A1 whenever I call them out.Shouldn't only 1 of them say A1 and the other say A2.......I'm so confuse lol

Also, in a happy birthday situation in the corner, you can double snap and get 100%.

Something like this:

So recently I have been in the training mode practicing my DHC combos and something weird has been gonna on with my assists,after I switch back to my point character after the DHC combo to practice it again......my assists swtich on me(Assist 1 become Assist 2 and vice versa )

Also both assists says A1 whenever I call them out.Shouldn't only 1 of them say A1 and the other say A2.......I'm so confuse lol
A1 is player 1 assist and A2 is player 2 assist

When you DHC with a team of 3, the character you switch out goes to the 'back of the line' so that if you use a third meter for a second DHC, your third character will come out.

If you want to practice a specific combo without having to mess around with your character order, use the savestate function. In training options you can set the select button to save/load state, hit it once and it will save everything going on at the frame you hit it. Hit it once more to revert everything to that point. Hold it to clear the save state.

Reactions: Israel and Hilary
How much time do you spend practicing combos in training? Then which lobby do you choose? Do you always stick w/your mains or try others for fun?

Not sure what you seek to gain out of this since the answers vary from person to person but:

-The amount of time I spent in training mode > the time me actually playing against people. I normally try to grind out a bnb until I have it down to muscle memory or try to find ways to tweak my bnbs for higher damage. Also try to find reset points in my combos
-Lobbies... intermediate or expert. Which ever has someone I can lose to.
-I usually stick with my mains (Val/Bella). Though I'm trying to learn Big Band so I'm starting off playing him solo and then will add him to the team.

Though I'm trying to learn Big Band so I'm starting off playing him solo and then will add him to the team.

Not sure of the general consensus on this but I agree that playing a new addition to your team solo before playing with her on a team helps a great deal.

I don't think there's anything more important in this game than understanding how all of your characters work with the others in terms of assists, DHCs, and other team mechanics.

If I'm learning a new character for my team, I will play the team with them on it, but put the new character on point to be sure they have the most time with the other assists possible. It also helps you be ready for the times when your team order is jumbled due to a DHC, happy birthday, or snap, or otherwise playing your team out of order.

If I'm having trouble grasping one assist or feel one assist is more necessary/intricate than the others (i.e., Val + Bomber) I'll run a duo to get the most time to practice it.

Reactions: mcpeanuts
you can still punish it, you just need to wait till the crecopter is almost over then call your assist.

basically, make sure the peacock can just super and hit both your point character and assist at the same time. (or worse get a full combo on both)
Samson1.jpg
lol You tryin' to get me killed?

Last edited:
A1 is player 1 assist and A2 is player 2 assist

When you DHC with a team of 3, the character you switch out goes to the 'back of the line' so that if you use a third meter for a second DHC, your third character will come out.

If you want to practice a specific combo without having to mess around with your character order, use the savestate function. In training options you can set the select button to save/load state, hit it once and it will save everything going on at the frame you hit it. Hit it once more to revert everything to that point. Hold it to clear the save state.

Oh god! tell me this is just a training mode feature and doesn't happen in a real match.

Yea I'll definitely use the save state function...that I'll save me a lot of trouble.

Not sure what you seek to gain out of this since the answers vary from person to person but:

-The amount of time I spent in training mode > the time me actually playing against people. I normally try to grind out a bnb until I have it down to muscle memory or try to find ways to tweak my bnbs for higher damage. Also try to find reset points in my combos
-Lobbies... intermediate or expert. Which ever has someone I can lose to.
-I usually stick with my mains (Val/Bella). Though I'm trying to learn Big Band so I'm starting off playing him solo and then will add him to the team.

What I seek to gain is slight, broad understanding, understanding that everyone is different. Nothing too important in my life overall.
Thanks for the reply! I've never spent too much time in Training for many fighting games, but am considering doing it in this game since it's set up quite well. I've tried Beginner, Casual & Practice lobbies since I've had the game for a bit over a month, and only can do weekends.

Oh god! tell me this is just a training mode feature and doesn't happen in a real match.

sorry to say it happens in a real match. it was that way in MvC2 so mike made it that way in SG. it sounds like a pain but you will get used to it pretty quickly.

Reactions: Israel
Yea I'll get over it soon enough,its just a little annoying that have to remember that my assists switches after a DHC combo and won't be able to use the same DHC after I switch back to my point character.

What I seek to gain is slight, broad understanding, understanding that everyone is different. Nothing too important in my life overall.
Thanks for the reply! I've never spent too much time in Training for many fighting games, but am considering doing it in this game since it's set up quite well. I've tried Beginner, Casual & Practice lobbies since I've had the game for a bit over a month, and only can do weekends.

I'd spend a tiny bit in training to get a decent bnb (not optimized). Then I'd go QM to get some match up experience (prepare to lose... a lot). Then I'd hit training again to start to refine things (resets/optimized combos/ etc). After a certain point, QM will probably not do you many favors as it rewards some pretty sloppy play (see every mashing BB ever), but in some cases it might be the only feasible option, but do try and make friends and join the community and set up games.

Cool, thanks. Yeah, I had around 25 sets w/Israel in this topic last Sun
(pretty evenly matched)
I like hosting Beginner & Practice lobbies so I can choose Pac/W.Coat US region & my fav stages.
Sometimes an expert pops up, but I try to learn a bit.

Last edited:
Cool, thanks. Yeah, I had around 25 sets w/Israel in this topic last Sun
(pretty evenly matched)
I like hosting Beginner & Practice lobbies so I can choose Pac/W.Coat US region & my fav stages.
Sometimes an expert pops up, but I try to learn a bit.
If an expert does show up in your beginner lobby don't be too hesitant to kick him if he's ruining your experience.

I always get mad at people who play in beginner lobbies that aren't beginners.
If you can handle playing against him and want to learn though that's a really good way to improve.

Can someone explain the use of the select button in training room. It appears to be a reset button but how do you control the damn thing? Everytime I use it, it either brings me to a corner or like at the end of a combo. I'm trying to practice a combo not in the corner of the screen so how do I set it like at the beginning of the match? Thanks for your help!

Start (in Training Mode) > Training Options > Select Button: Save State / Record / Both
- allows you to set what the Select Button does. Put this to "Load/Save State".

After that, pressing Select once will save the current state of the game (You comboing the opponent, you in the corner, you at fullscreen, whatever it is)
Pressing Select again with load said Savestate, whatever it was. Any subsequent Select Press will keep loading Savestate.

To put a new Savestate, either hold Select for a while or press Select+LK+HK to delete the current one first.

Reactions: Ravage Dingo
Can anyone help me with down-up charge motions? I really want to learn Parasoul but I can't down-up charge motions. :(
I can do it sometimes though. About 1 in 120

what are you getting instead? jumping?
they key is it press the button at the exact same time you transition to up.
please reply to the above question so i can get a bit more detail on your particular issue.

Can anyone help me with down-up charge motions? I really want to learn Parasoul but I can't down-up charge motions. :(
I can do it sometimes though. About 1 in 120

If you're getting standing attacks, delay your button press.
If you're getting jumping attacks, press the button earlier.
What exactly is the problem?

Also, you can down-back (to block) instead of just down and similarly, any of the up directions instead of straight up.

Execution-wise, push the attack button at the same time you hit your up input.

OK. ...another scrub question. .when I'm going through combo videos I notice that most of the good stuff has a assist from a character I don't use. So.... am I just assed out or....are they more universal than I think?

OK. ...another scrub question. .when I'm going through combo videos I notice that most of the good stuff has a assist from a character I don't use. So.... am I just assed out or....are they more universal than I think?
No, you don't need assists to extend combos in this game, generally (with a few exceptions like when starting a combo with Fortune's ground grab or whatever). A lot of people use assists at the very beginning or very end of combos to add damage, but again you don't HAVE to dot hat.

What are the ideal situations to throw out assists? Specifically dps and platonic drillationship. My assist calls keep whiffing and get punished 80% of the time.

If you are asking a question in this thread, the LAST thing you should worry about are assist backed combos.
Well there isnt a "intermediate questions thread"..and this isnt really character specific

No, you don't need assists to extend combos in this game, generally (with a few exceptions like when starting a combo with Fortune's ground grab or whatever). A lot of people use assists at the very beginning or very end of combos to add damage, but again you don't HAVE to dot hat.
So are you saying that if I see an assist in the middle of a combo its optional? I was looking thru the double thread for new stuff to do besides barrel loops and for example one of the combos has Val assist in the middle...I havent tried, but that assist can be anything? Or just can be omitted altogether? ...or like for Parasoul if something has updo assist. ..sorry to ask this is the inappropriate spot, but it seems like a beginner question to me cause its based around me not 100% knowing how assists work...

This is the right thread to ask
And the answer is as noted, forget about them.

There are some very specific things where assists allow you to combo where nothing else would (eg combo after Bella's midscreen Dynamo), there are some things where assists save you meter (eg Fortune combo after midscreen throw), there are a lot of combos where assist extensions either increase the damage by a lot or give you stronger reset points (or both).

But none of this matters. One can beat 99% of people in this game with 5 button combos that deal 2000 damage, there is no need for assist extensions in any way, shape, or form (unless you're at a high enough level to not ask questions on this forum at all).

It's possible that whatever combo you're seeing doesn't work without the assist they use, but you generally can change the combo to work without the assist extension, and if you can't it still doesn't matter.

Reactions: Spencer and D.R.E.
Status
Not open for further replies.