• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Blood for the Blood Goddess! Eliza BETA Gameplay Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
He specifically said that rule doesn't apply to DDB.

So DDB needs to work on making a good sock puppet.

But what would happen if I did both at the same time?

There would be an iperdimensional crash, and cause Annie to never exist. Alex Ahad never tought to create Annie, and never put anything related to her. Not in Skullgirls, not in Skullgirls Encore, not in Skullgirls 2.
No Annie.
No Annie, no DDB.
No DDB, more oxygen for us.

Personally Mike is on a hair trigger right now, all most anything could set him off, (even a bad pun). I think it's best that we eat what has been given to us for right now, and we can bug him about Beowulf later on in the year. Overall I think Mike did a great job trying to give everyone everything they wanted with Eliza, we have the servants and part Sehkmet, sure blood mechanics aren't there but that's more of a problem of just too much information being stuffed onto her. So my hat's off to Mike he and the rest of LabZero did their best at making Eliza.

Hahaha, I won't do anything to jeopardize the game for real, I just am surprised at how entitled the community can act. I suppose that's the balance of being an open developer - people complain at other companies constantly, the company just isn't reading them.
I wanted to be a cheeky bastard and say "Does that mean we can get Sunlight Spear instead?" but I will not dare mess with Mike.
No, because of the gameplay difference, no matter what. Lady of Laughter (yes on purpose) is not safe at range.

Does this version of the super agree with you...people...better?

No, because of the gameplay difference, no matter what. Lady of Laughter (yes on purpose) is not safe at range.
It was just a facetious musing. I wouldn't seriously ask for such a thing to even be considered since it would require all new frames and whatnot. As was well demonstrated, you folks work on a very tight budget with no room for error or whim.
I think it's just a natural consequence of being treated with a ocean of amazing concept art, there's always one thing or another we'd love to see in the game that didn't make it but c'est la vie. On that note, as someone who appreciates the game for its aesthetic value, I'm genuinely grateful that you guys are being so generous and transparent in that regard.

Incidentally, if I may ask - what happened to the ground erupting blood hippos mentioned in the PS Blog entry for Big Band's release?
Was it something that was scrapped in favor of another? A mix up with something else (a lot of folks, myself included, confused the serpopards in s.MP with those fabled hippos)?

Reactions: GNR
Yeah, the nerve of people having "opinions" and telling a supposedly "open" developer those opinions... Its like those people actually expect a developer that considers itself open... To be open.

Also rather crazy to think that any open dialogue is going to be all daisies and roses. Different people think differently and therefor there will always be complaints from those that are having their opinions and hopes ignored and not met.

I find mikes defensiveness on this entire process EXCEPTIONALLY weird. But since I'm different from other people i realize it could just be me. Still freaking weird though.

And on topic... I hate playing against Eliza's j.hp and j.hk..
I feel like they are way to high priority, i cant contest them at all.

Sometimes they even hold hour long conferences at UFGT talking about stuff that other developers do wrong.
If anyone showed up with logical, factual explanations of how Eliza not having blood or Sekhmet's super being frame re-use was objectively backward from a gameplay perspective, complete with examples from other games, I'd be waaaay less mad at them. :^P
(And yes, IsaVulpes did that for a thing in the bug forum that I can't reproduce...)

I really like how Sekhmet deals similar amounts of damage with Lady of Slaughter and using a single bar attacking normally. The super seems to scale better, though.
Also did you decide against letting Sekhmet use the super by herself or is it just not implemented yet? I was curious about what happens if you fail to do the two punches in one frame.

And Eliza's lines so far are pretty good. Can't wait to listen to the rest.

If anyone showed up with logical, factual explanations of how Eliza not having blood or Sekhmet's super being frame re-use was objectively backward from a gameplay perspective, complete with examples from other games, I'd be waaaay less mad at them. :^P
(And yes, IsaVulpes did that for a thing in the bug forum that I can't reproduce...)

I don't think anybody was complaining about the reused frames. Not in this thread anyway.

The blood thing... well I guess some people just don't understand that not everything that's done as a concept makes it to the final product.

so what are the two other supers called?
I have a feeling the sekmet super is called "lady of slaughter'' but i'm not sure

'snip'

I'm just gonna point out that there is a whole series of other communication avenues to Mike that you're not seeing where people might be giving these 'opinions' you talk about.

Also 'open development' does not automatically mean that somebody is accepting all things people say. 'Open' means that they are more willing to talk *to* you.

Tbh, it looks fine both ways. I like this version tho because it gives the final hit some emphasis and looks really cool.

I think the red was a lot better, gave it more ommph this just looks like a player is inputting the commands

I prefer the way it is now. It's nice being able to see stuff and the emphasis on the final hit is pretty cool.

Yeah, the nerve of people having "opinions" and telling a supposedly "open" developer those opinions... Its like those people actually expect a developer that considers itself open... To be open.

Also rather crazy to think that any open dialogue is going to be all daisies and roses. Different people think differently and therefor there will always be complaints from those that are having their opinions and hopes ignored and not met.

I find mikes defensiveness on this entire process EXCEPTIONALLY weird. But since I'm different from other people i realize it could just be me. Still freaking weird though.

And on topic... I hate playing against Eliza's j.hp and j.hk..
I feel like they are way to high priority, i cant contest them at all.
I think it's the other people than shouldn't expect Mike to be all daisies and roses toward their feedback. It's him having an opinion or being candid that rubs some the wrong way.

I personally think the colors should invert for the Sekhmet super. Make the background entirely black and Sekhmet red.

And throw more axes in there! Haha

Apparently the solid red backdrop looked really horrible after a few games when it was used at Salty. Everyone thought it was great when it was first shown, but got sick of it really quick. It looks to be something that Eliza will be using a lot, so if it was already getting annoying on her first demo with it, it was likely only going to get worse.

I personally think the colors should invert for the Sekhmet super. Make the background entirely black and Sekhmet red.
Can't do it, you'd see the lineart. Which I guess could be explored since colors are just whatever colors.

I personally hated it when it was entirely red after using it like twice in matches. So deal. :^)

I don't like the idea of having the whole screen turn red for the entire duration of the super. At this rate it'll probably be her most commonly used super, as well as the super she'll be most likely to dhc into and out of. This means we'll probably see it a lot. Having such a jarring and blatant visual change several times during a match would not only completely take away from the impact of the move itself, but it could also potentially begin to fatigue the viewer.

I think it looks better in its current state, where only the last hit flashes red.

I don't like how you can't really do much after her air Blockbuster (other than DHC), but yo I'll deal with it.

Ummm...I dunno how hard this would be to do or if someone said this already but what if each hit from her super made the screen more red? Like each slash or swing got more blood on the screen? I feel like the screen should be completely covered, or at least a good deal of the screen, by the time the axe hits start or soon after :/ Maybe that would help strike some sort of balance between too much and too little red?

Just my two cents, I have nothing to offer in here for gameplay since I'm terrible but I do have eyes so I guess that's nice? :P

Last edited:
I actually like her air super, dat oki game is gonna be fun

Also can osiris twirl work as a reversal or no?

Ummm...I dunno how hard this would be to do or if someone said this already but what if each hit from her super made the screen more red? Like each slash or swing got more blood on the screen?
Not possible for rendering reasons. Even PW's half-covered background for the level 3 is hard on the GPU.

hard knockdown isn't honestly that great. both squig and parasoul players have the option of ending any combo with it, yet you'll almost never see it because the reward isn't that great compared to a regular ol' reset

hard knockdown isn't honestly that great. both squig and parasoul players have the option of ending any combo with it, yet you'll almost never see it because the reward isn't that great compared to a regular ol' reset
Hmm really?

I did think that but recently I've been finding some situations with some characters where the extra damage and corner carry has been very desirable.

Assuming you've explored Parasoul a ton, have you found her safe jump setups not worth it over resets?

I've been opting for oki a fair bit with Big Band and Squigly and I'm starting to work it into my Fukua and Eliza now too.

Unless I am gravely mistaken, Parasoul can't get a hard knockdown without spending meter, so the investment/reward isn't there for Parasoul with hard knockdowns. It's more reasonable with other characters that can do it without spending meter.

Unless I am gravely mistaken, Parasoul can't get a hard knockdown without spending meter, so the investment/reward isn't there for Parasoul with hard knockdowns. It's more reasonable with other characters that can do it without spending meter.

b. hk can but then again as severine said not worth it

Its good depending on how much advantage the knocked down character gets along with whether or not they have really good solid 50/50 left right mixups. Parasoul sniper shot doesnt give a huge enough advantage on hit to the point where she can mixup both her spacing and her actual move followups(that i know of), and she doesnt have the best left/right in the game unless you REALLY grind out her j.mk float left/rights which are hard as hell to make ambiguous with them having completely manual timing.

Compare this to peacocks throw which gives full knockdown and allows peacock to do easy left/rights of many types as well as having very ambiguous spacing. And even bigband gets to do easy run into mixups which allows him a bit of flexibility on where he ends his run and what the timing of his high/low will be.

Tldr:

Not all knockdown mixups were created equal.

-edit

B+hk gives untechable? I didnt know this and will check it out... But if its true... Then that would almost definitely be worth it.

-edit 2

B+hk is techable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back