• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

USA [Dec 13, 2014] Rebel Up (Walnut, California)

Shin ATproof

I BRZ I Shin ATproof
Reaction score
Steam
Shin_ATproof
PSN
Shin_ATproof
XBL
Shin ATproof
Valentine
****REBEL UP IS ON HIATUS UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE****

In recent news, Super Arcade is being forced to move venues. I will notify the Skullgirls community of itd continuance as soon as something comes up.

Background
Rebel Up is a bi-weekly tournament featuring different anime fighters such as Blazblue Chronophantasma, Under Night In-Birth EXE: Late, Persona 4 Arena Ultimax, Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax and now Guilty Gear Xrd!

Skullgirls: Encore is now a part of that tournament series!

We'll run the Beta version unless @Mike_Z shows up late as usual :^)

So here's how it'll break down!
  • $5 Venue fee at the door to play all day
  • Tournament starts at 4PM
  • Double Elimination Tournament
  • Bring your own controllers, sticks, hitbox, etc
  • Skullgirls Encore - $3
  • BlazBlue Chrono Phantasma - $1
  • Vampire Savior - Free
  • Under Night In-Birth Exe: Late -$3
  • Guilty Gear Xrd - $3
  • Persona 4 Arena Ultimax - $3
  • Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax - $1
Stream
http://www.twitch.tv/superdojo

Contacts
http://twitter.com/WeeabooNinja
http://twitter.com/FKUDelta
http://twitter.com/numakie
http://twitter.come/rotanibor

**NOTICE**
1) If you are running late and trying to enter the tournament, please contact one or more of the following people listed above in "Contacts"
2) If you step out to have lunch/dinner/etc please tell one of the TOs so we know where you are and we can make adjustments while running the tournament.

Game Times
Super Arcade 12PM - 1AM

Time
Skullgirls Encore - 4:00PM
BlazBlue Chrono Phantasma - 5:00PM
Vampire Savior - 6:30PM
Under Night In-Birth Exe: Late - 6:00PM
Guilty Gear Xrd - 7:00PM
Persona 4 Arena Ultimax - 8:00PM
Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax - 9:00PM

System
All games (with the exception of Vampire Savior) will be run on PS3

Brackets
http://challonge.com/users/superdojo

Current Schedule
11/29/14
12/13/14

BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE!

"The PovertStation!!!!!"
In addition to the main games for Rebel Up there will be side tournaments and streams! The games that are there played will be Vampire Savior, Melty Blood, Aquapazza and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure! Many other games have been added in the past. Contact Numakie below and in person to discuss more games.

Game Time
Anything goes / PuyoTetris - 4:30p
Vampire Savior - 6:30PM
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - 8:00PM
Melty Blood Actress Again Current Code - 9:30PM

(Note: Times are Tentative & are subject to change)

System
Aquapazza - PS3
Vampire Savior - UD-CPS2
Melty Blood Actress Again Current Code - Laptop
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - PS3

Entry Fee
All events are free!

Sister Thread to this one on Dustloop can be found HERE

Last edited:
That'd be cool but there's a very limited space at the venue for a PC setup. Much appreciated though!

Reactions: Compa
Haha, it's all I can offer because I don't own PS3 SG...

Yeeeeeeaaaah we in there! Come on out folks, even if you have to miss a salty that weekend. We'll always have Salty, but we won't always have Super Arcade. Show up and support both SG and Super!

Anyone from around San Diego goin? I'd love to make this.

Aw man, no way I can make it for the tournament (fuck being employed).

But casuals will give me an excuse to learn how to play the game. Ho long will that be going on?

Hell yeah! Skullgirls back in Walnut? That's luckily not that too far. I'll be there, and I may see about taking a friend or two along.

Anyone from around San Diego goin? I'd love to make this.

There are some players from San Diego area that attend Rebel Up. I'll get back to you later and maybe you can hitch a ride with them if you can't find someone on your own.

Aw man, no way I can make it for the tournament (fuck being employed).

But casuals will give me an excuse to learn how to play the game. Ho long will that be going on?

Yeah I imagine we'll still have space for casuals after the tournament. That'll run until the guys at Super Arcade kick us out which is usually like at 1am or so. Sorry you won't be able to make it for tourney but glad you'll be able to make it out for some games still!

Thanks Shin that'd be wicked.

Yeah I imagine we'll still have space for casuals after the tournament. That'll run until the guys at Super Arcade kick us out which is usually like at 1am or so. Sorry you won't be able to make it for tourney but glad you'll be able to make it out for some games still!
Me going to this thing isn't a done deal. If I work that Sunday, I'll be staying home to get some extra Z's. Work is exhausting, so I need the energy.

Also, from the sounds of it, since this is an alternating thing, we will not have Salty! the same week as Rebel Up. This will make it easier on peoples wallets, and keep us going strong in two venues! So no more worrying about not attending one thing to go the other thing.

As Weatherbee mentions and to reiterate, Skullgirls at Rebel Up will essentially be another Salty but at another venue every other week (in place of Salty) and in a tournament setting. All the stuff we have come to expect of Salty like the updates to the beta could be shown there too if there is time which should be doable since SG tournaments run fairly quick. Also, hey a regular local tournaments for SG for the community to enjoy! What a concept!

Actually, I'd keep the normal stuff like beta news Salty-only. This way it gives Mike the potential to take the night off if he wants, and will probably actually make Salty itself a little more anticipated, while Rebel Up can focus more on the competitive gameplay.

Well talking to Mike, this didn't seem to be a problem. Also, please, let's not clutter this thread up with this talk. You can PM me if you want to talk more about this.

MOD EDIT: @Shin ATproof I moved those other posts here. Sorry for the diversion.

Last edited by a moderator:
so wait, is this gunna be beta or old version?

I think for right now we'll go with the retail version for tournaments. That's what we have provided at the venue and by players electing to bring their systems as back up just in case. Also I'd like it so players at Rebel Up interested in trying the game can play on the current available version for retail. HOWEVER, there should be a station for Beta too as there will be time for announcements for the updates to the game. So Big Band players shouldn't feel left out at Rebel Up.

Last edited:
So do we have to participate in the tournament (still pretty noobish at this game)? also, do you guys still need PS3's because im willing to bring mine.

You don't have to, but entering SG is free (plus venue fee) so why not?

well, i need a ride, so i cant really get there. plus i dont know anybody in SFV except Midiman, but he gets picked up by shin ATproof. but i dont even know if midiman is going.

I heard once that there are adapters to hook up a xbox 360 controller to ps3, will those be at the event?

And does a pc setup really take up that much space? cant imagine anything more than an HDMI and a power cable being the only things you need. steam can be controlled with a controller.

I'm local to the area and at a 50% chance i could go (just saw this event today) but i would definitely attend future events at super arcade.

I'm trying to get my ride arranged with WingZero. I should be able to appear with all my p's and q's in order!

I heard once that there are adapters to hook up a xbox 360 controller to ps3, will those be at the event?

IIRC these cause input lag, so I doubt they'd be used.

So do we have to participate in the tournament (still pretty noobish at this game)? also, do you guys still need PS3's because im willing to bring mine.

Like Kiyobi said, the Skullgirls tournament is free. You just pay the $5 venue fee to play all day. So you may as well enter the tournament while you're there! lol Also, please enter the tournament! Don't be shy! Don't worry about winning/losing, we all gotta start somewhere. If you wanna "git gud" then the best way is to get past your fears, compete, ask players questions for feedback and then practice and repeat it all over again until you GIT GUD! Oh yeah...and have fun!

As for spare systems, we should be good right now but should that change, I'll definitely let you know. Thanks for asking!

And does a pc setup really take up that much space? cant imagine anything more than an HDMI and a power cable being the only things you need. steam can be controlled with a controller.

I'm local to the area and at a 50% chance i could go (just saw this event today) but i would definitely attend future events at super arcade.

While it would be awesome if we could provide all the equipment for players to use, unfortunately you will be responsible for bringing your own controller (gamepad, joystick, hitbox, Rockband Guitar, etc) to play. None will be provided by either me or any of the organizers.

As for space for setting up a PC, Super Arcade right now has pretty limited space between all the monitor & console setups, the arcade cabinets and the corner used for the PovertStation. You can contact Numakie (listed in the OP) and ask if there is room for another computer but from what I seen, I have my doubts. Perhaps when Super Arcade reaches its Kickstater goal and gets renovated, that may change but for right now that's all we got to work with.

If you can't make it to this event this weekend (still hope you can! we'd love to have ya!) we'll definitely be here for the next Rebel Up and every two weeks after that is the plan. Lots of great games are played at Rebel Up and now, Skullgirls is one of them!

well, i need a ride, so i cant really get there. plus i dont know anybody in SFV except Midiman, but he gets picked up by shin ATproof. but i dont even know if midiman is going.

I've spoken with you about this privately but if you can Midiman can workout something as well, then great! I still technically have to leave the SFV to get to Super. I just have work from morning until Noon every Saturday but may be available to carpool if asked.

Last edited:
Now I can feel less guilty about going to one Salty a month :). I also have more incentive to make it out to walnut for super arcade. I won't make it out this weekend since I am busy but I will convince my carpool group to make it out soon.

Reactions: punchy1234
Now I can feel less guilty about going to one Salty a month :). I also have more incentive to make it out to walnut for super arcade. I won't make it out this weekend since I am busy but I will convince my carpool group to make it out soon.

Sounds good! We hope to see you April 5th then!

If I want to play the tournament, can I play Skullgirls on my laptop, or do I need to play on PS3? Like Kiyobi, I don't own PS3 Skullgirls.

Unfortunately the tournament will be run on PS3 because of tournament setups, including the streamed station. Perhaps in casuals we may have room to hook up a laptop but I can't guarantee anything since there are a lot of games and attendees but limited space. There is planned to be at least two stations of the latest Beta build from Lab Zero to play in casuals (also played on PS3s). If we can get the room to add more setups like your laptop then absolutely feel free to hook up your laptop!

I'm curious, what controller do you use to play Skullgirls?

I'm curious, what controller do you use to play Skullgirls?

Sadly, I only use the keyboard. I play Skullgirls on PC all the time. I do have my Sega Saturn-esque USB controller though, but I'm not used to it yet. I have my USB keyboard if that can work on PS3.

You'd have to mod your keyboard to work as a PS3 controller on PS3.

Best alternative to keyboard is using hitbox if you don't want to mod a keyboard.

This is like 30 minutes from me....so all I have to do is show up, pay the venue fee, and I can play Skullgirls?

You'd have to mod your keyboard to work as a PS3 controller on PS3.

Best alternative to keyboard is using hitbox if you don't want to mod a keyboard.

I think I should buy Hitbox someday if I want to play Skullgirls on PS3. Otherwise, I would have to mod my keyboard to play Skullgirls on PS3 with that kind of controller. I guess I won't be participating the tournament unless I can play PS3 with a keyboard. I might play on casuals though.

Last edited:
So am i out of luck on playing on a 360 pad? I found about this really late so i dont know where i could get an adapter at all, in time.

Im playing SGE (PC) with a Arcade Stick PCB PS360+ works like a champ, highly recomended.

Based on what I saw and the commentators' opinions, very hype and positively received. Very likely to be welcomed back to Rebel Up and picked up by other players there.

Yesterday was pretty nuts! I'm pretty optimistic that Skullgirls is going to stay at Rebel Up. I think one of the BBCP players wants to try getting into it too.

...as solo Squigly. RIP

So how was the event?
32 Entrants, and a hell of a lot of fun. Once again, $5 venue fee, and practically all the tournies are free to enter. Great atmosphere, great games, casuals after! $5 for about 9 hours worth of gaming? It's a no brainer folks, if ya are in driving range of Super, get on out here next time!