• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

USA [Dec 13, 2014] Rebel Up (Walnut, California)

3/22/14 Tournament
http://www.twitch.tv/jyosua/b/513434019

Tournament Results
http://challonge.com/3_22_RU_SG

2:08:40 for Beta Updates
http://www.twitch.tv/jyosua/b/513526980

32 Entrants, and a hell of a lot of fun. Once again, $5 venue fee, and practically all the tournies are free to enter. Great atmosphere, great games, casuals after! $5 for about 9 hours worth of gaming? It's a no brainer folks, if ya are in driving range of Super, get on out here next time!

INDEED!

Excellent turnout everyone! We had over 30 entrants yesterday! That's so unreal! Let's keep it up!
More hype is being given to you! Check out the OP for more details! See everyone on 4/5!

We had so many players for SG, many of whom entered other games, (hooray, expanding player bases!) we had to push Beta announcements to later because of it. So we'll have to just keep everyone posted on when the updates on stream will be announced!

Last edited:
Reactions: Cellsai
30+ entrants for a WC local? LOL HOLD DAT EC! Also this was too fun. If you missed out yesterday I strongly encourage you to show up and participate. Video games, pizza, and nothing but good times all around. Hoping I won't do so bad in GG next time.

This is bi-weekly correct? 'Cause if it is I can afford to come here instead ($15) of salty ($30).

30+ entrants for a WC local? LOL HOLD DAT EC! Also this was too fun. If you missed out yesterday I strongly encourage you to show up and participate. Video games, pizza, and nothing but good times all around. Hoping I won't do so bad in GG next time.
I ended up not going because fuck my job is exhausting, but pizza is making me regret my decision.

This is bi-weekly correct? 'Cause if it is I can afford to come here instead ($15) of salty ($30).
Salty and Rebel Up now alternate with each other weekly (Salty/RU/Salty/RU).

If Salty dies though, it ain't comin' back. It's too much work for that.

I ended up not going because fuck my job is exhausting, but pizza is making me regret my decision.

The pizza place a few doors down, right next to the Lollicup, is pretty legit. Just thought I'd put that out there in case you guys get hungry next time. =w=

30+ entrants for a WC local? LOL HOLD DAT EC!
We'll beat your numbers for the next one :)

Trying to weigh my options here, is rebel up always gonna be console version with non-beta fortune? (It's confusing when one character is different in two versions.) Salty always has the beta with my favorite version of fortune (I can actually do a combo in the beta).

I mostly play for fun so I'd rather play the version I think is more fun.

It wasn't Beta at the last Rebel Up, but it will be Beta for the next one in April.

Trying to weigh my options here, is rebel up always gonna be console version with non-beta fortune? (It's confusing when one character is different in two versions.) Salty always has the beta with my favorite version of fortune (I can actually do a combo in the beta).

I mostly play for fun so I'd rather play the version I think is more fun.

From this point on it'll be the beta version. It's what the community wanted so that's what we'll be running.

Hey everyone attending for Skullgirls (and other games) at Rebel Up. Delta and I need your input!

For this upcoming event (4/5), the plan is to hold a $1 entry fee (per person) for each game. However, instead of a payout the money will be donated to the Super Arcade Kickstarter.

Please make your vote here!
http://strawpoll.me/1392198

Also if you're feeling generous, please donate the the Kickstater for Super Arcade found HERE and help keep this awesome game center alive! This will also be posted on the OP as well.

ya making it 5$ will lessen the appeal of the non headliners. I want good numbers in VSav every rebel up and making it 5$ will make people bitch out.

I think 1$ is fine tho

A dollar per tourney is reasonable. I know I won't be deterred from signing up for other games! Reach deep into those couch cushions and fish out the spare change, folks!

My one concern would be that if a *new* player should turn up and hasn't brought money that they shouldn't be prevented from playing. Other than that, I think it's a great idea.

NEW AND FINAL PLAN FOR DONATIONS!

Minimum $1 entry for all games. If you feel like giving more, by all means do so. The proceeds will be then added to the Super Arcade Kickstarter.

ya, usually with like 15 entrants

Or you could buy/ make a Hitbox.
Dont has the money.

But i really enjoy the 360 controller, something about it just feels comfortable with me despite never owning an xbox before.

So how many entrants this time?

Didn't get a chance to watch it yesterday.

Next tournament will be on 4/19! $3 entry fee!
Oh yeah! We gonna have a prize pot!
COME HUNGRY!

Single player & Double Elimination tournament!
This change is reflected also in the opening post found HERE

Hope to see everyone there!

Also an added note to everyone:

For those of you that are wanting to "GIT GUD!" at games like Blazblue or Guilty Gear, visit the site Dustloop (think Skullheart but for anime fighters). Hit the link to learn basically everything you need to know to learn how to play and step up your game! Also, don't be afraid to ask for help while at Super Arcade. There are a lot of great players more than willing to spar and give feedback!

Likewise, there are some BB and GG players interested in SG but feel equally intimidated, we know our game well and should offer our input as well to help grow our player bases!

Reactions: Vadsamoht
Also an added note to everyone:

For those of you that are wanting to "GIT GUD!" at games like Blazblue or Guilty Gear, visit the site Dustloop (think Skullheart but for anime fighters). Hit the link to learn basically everything you need to know to learn how to play and step up your game! Also, don't be afraid to ask for help while at Super Arcade. There are a lot of great players more than willing to spar and give feedback!

Likewise, there are some BB and GG players interested in SG but feel equally intimidated, we know our game well and should offer our input as well to help grow our player bases!

BB and GG players intimidated by sg...whoa. Ive heard that others think sg is a hard game.. Weird to see it come true though.

The same could be said in reverse.
It's a natural thing for people new to any game when they see the game played beyond their current level, especially if there is an entrance fee for a tournament. The only way for people to improve is to play, practice, research and discuss with others. There are plenty of good players in both communities to essentially double the entrance to all games. So this should be a thing both sides should help with especially if we're all playing under the same roof every couple of weeks.

Reactions: Vadsamoht
Well good luck :) id love to see more cali peeps pick up the game seriously. I'm trying to pick up BB and hopefully i can eventually convince some of the players out here to try out sg again... Maybe. But BB is an intimidating game for me... Crouch confirms and having to do completely different combos for different starters... Sg seems more simple to me but of course thats probably just an outside in perspective...i can imagine bb and gg folks seeing our resets and mixups and thinking oh my god...

The same could be said in reverse.
It's a natural thing for people new to any game when they see the game played beyond their current level, especially if there is an entrance fee for a tournament. The only way for people to improve is to play, practice, research and discuss with others. There are plenty of good players in both communities to essentially double the entrance to all games. So this should be a thing both sides should help with especially if we're all playing under the same roof every couple of weeks.

I agree, I am picking up VSav super late just because Shin and others basically said "If you can block in VSav, Skullgirls is in slow motion."

Also, is every tourney 3 bucks?

Only Skullgirls and Blazblue have an entry fee. Everything else is free to play.

BB and GG players intimidated by sg...whoa. Ive heard that others think sg is a hard game.. Weird to see it come true though.
I can imagine why SG would be intimidating for an Arcsys player. SG may have bursts, but you don't have freedom to take those bursts because a lot of these burst triggers are baits. Burst baits do happen in Arcsys fighters, but nowhere near as often as SG. Then there's also the reset-heavy nature of the game and dealing with assists...

SG is my first fighter so I can see why playing with/against assists would be intimidating. Calling in assists (responsibly) is an intimidating concept to grasp.

Only Skullgirls and Blazblue have an entry fee. Everything else is free to play.

Oh, nice. Well I'm gonna make sure to not miss out on Gundam this time as well lol.