• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Digital Art Compendium Discussion

Zidiane

Doing my best
Reaction score
Steam
Zidiane
PSN
zidiane5
XBL
Zidiane
Cerebella
This is probably more efficient. Any discussion about the Compendium? Bring it here.

I already have a few things I wanted to talk about.

1. Anyone notice that some moves have missing frames? Cerecopter goes "Frame 1, frame 4, frame 6, frame 8" then continues counting up like normal (9, 10, 11, 12, etc). Were there frames that never made it into the game but for some reason they still move over those numbers, or were they frames that were removed after creation for the sake of gameplay? Either way, were there frames withheld from the Compendium?

2. Anyone find it weird that the death animations are kept in "hitstun" rather than "poses"? Poses keeps the win, lose, time out, and intro animations, but the death animations are separate.

3. Why is Cerebella's "Tag-in" frames Filia frames? I found Bella's tag in frames in Doubles folder, but she was Double color.

4. Was Hornet Bomber originally a super for Cerebella? "Peach" is in her super folder.

That's all for now. Discuss!

Last edited:
Reactions: Broseidon Rex
Only went through Bella so far
1. There's a hell lot more Bella panty shots than I thought there was
2. During Ultimate Showstopper, Vice Versa actually breaks the Giant Sword
3. Glitter effects on some K attacks
4. In one frame of Battle-butt, Vice Versa has Pupils
5. Level of arm detail as Vice Versa punches the diamond.

Now I wish I donated enough to get this.

I got two questions:
1. Are all the frames just the default colors?
2. Any interesting scrapped moves in there? I heard about Filia's unused poses but what about the other characters?

@Broseidon Rex
I actually was composing a list of all my favorite Bella frames.
http://imgur.com/a/S7NfH/embed#0

Now I wish I donated enough to get this.

I got two questions:
1. Are all the frames just the default colors?
2. Any interesting scrapped moves in there? I heard about Filia's unused poses but what about the other characters?
Everything's in default color, that I seen at least.

Actually yeah. Fortune has a cartwheel special, and Peacock has this train super (she paints a train tunnel on the wall and a train comes through). Double also may have at one point been planned to have additional specials, and Fortune looks like she had a dash+hp and a back+mp move (they were just the headbutt from the rekka super and the head spin from the headless rekka super). Double also may have had different tag ins, stealing them from the other characters instead of having the ball one.

I would go and make gifs of all the moves that I seen, but I don't know how.

Last edited:
Nice @Zidiane , quick question though, is it cool to release these frames to the public as shown in the link? Just want to make sure no bad crap happens to anyone who wants to share.

Nice @Zidiane , quick question though, is it cool to release these frames to the public as shown in the link? Just want to make sure no bad crap happens to anyone who wants to share.
Oh... uhhhhhhhhh.... I'm not sure... I thought it was cool since other dude made the gif of Filia's animations. And I'm not uploading the whole thing, just snippits, and that should be not bad. I think Cerebella's Cerecopter has 40 frames, more than all the ones in that album. Buuuuuut... I have no clue. Who do we @ to find out?

Sent email, will get response and not share response

4. Was Hornet Bomber originally a super for Cerebella? "Peach" is in her super folder."

That's all for now. Discuss!

I believe that's the case for all of Double's specials (aside from the Item Drop one). Aside from the very obviously Double specific stuff, I remember hearing all of her special moves are things they cut from other characters in the design phase, and gave to Double instead. So it was probably a Cerebella move at one point, lol.

I am surprised they had a half-finished taunt and a fully animated unused animation for Filia though.

Reactions: Broseidon Rex
I believe that's the case for all of Double's specials (aside from the Item Drop one). Aside from the very obviously Double specific stuff, I remember hearing all of her special moves are things they cut from other characters in the design phase, and gave to Double instead. So it was probably a Cerebella move at one point, lol.

I am surprised they had a half-finished taunt and a fully animated unused animation for Filia though.
No, I mean, I knew it was from Bella, but I thought it would have been a bella special. It really doesn't look awesome enough to be a super.

I actually was composing a list of all my favorite frames.
http://imgur.com/a/S7NfH/embed#0
Ooooooooh! Pwetty. Many thanks for sharing.

It's amazing the amount of little details that go inconspicuous amidst the action. And this is but a sample of one character (albeit one among those with the highest frame count).
Speaking of which, the diamond beauty mark is swapped in that s.MP frame. SOMEONE DUN GOOFED. :3

I assume the c.MP .png is the "default resolution", right? Seems like it given how crisp the image looks.

No, I mean, I knew it was from Bella, but I thought it would have been a bella special. It really doesn't look awesome enough to be a super.

Ahh, I see. Same, actually, it seemed like a gap closer for her before she got the command run.

Ooooooooh! Pwetty. Many thanks for sharing.

It's amazing the amount of little details that go inconspicuous amidst the action. And this is but a sample of one character (albeit one among those with the highest frame count).
Speaking of which, the diamond beauty mark is swapped in that s.MP frame. SOMEONE DUN GOOFED. :3

I assume the c.MP .png is the "default resolution", right? Seems like it given how crisp the image looks.
Things seemed to be of varying sizes. Don't know if that's resolution or picture size. But a lot of them are as crisp as c.mp.

Reactions: Balder
That I believe I just happened to stumblr upon.

tumblr_my87jzFIag1qiowa4o1_1280.gif

I can see why it wasn't finished, though. Did we really need to have school girls getting spanked in this game?

Did we really need to have school girls getting spanked in this game?
Is that a trick question?

Imagine the shitstorm if Filia had both this and Samson pulling her shirt off...but that one is pretty clever, since it's basically Samson pulling HIS hair. This one though, just seems gratuitous. In all seriousness, I agree it's absence is for the best.

Are there Marie sprites included?

Heh I will say that filia animations a surprise, but anything Filia related I like X3

Are there Marie sprites included?
Not outside of the story stuff.

Also, looks like one of Doubles specials would have been her turning into Peacock and flinging off one of the arm eyes for either a projectile or a drone type deal.

Not outside of the story stuff.
Aww. I wanted to see a high-res skullheart sprite.

And maybe a "2SPOOKY MARIE" to show up on Mugen one day.

Marie getting spanked by her skeletons.gif
Actually wanna see that now.

Kinda wish I had another $50 to spare to get the tier with the art compendium. Some of this stuff is cool.

Man, this thing's awesome! Even playing in slow-mo doesn't compare to seeing all of the art up close and organized like this.

Having said that, omg Painwheel. So much detail I never noticed before. I caught myself mumbling a prayer for the poor girl as I was flipping through her frames.

Man, this thing's awesome! Even playing in slow-mo doesn't compare to seeing all of the art up close and organized like this.
After seeing a few sprites posted online, I'd like to ask Lab Zero if they could put in a graphics menu option to turn off the blurred shading effects & stage lighting.

Then it would look like that in-game.

After seeing a few sprites posted online, I'd like to ask Lab Zero if they could put in a graphics menu option to turn off the blurred shading effects & stage lighting.

Then it would look like that in-game.
That might be a good option to help shit-tier computers actually play the game, too.

Hope to see Filia winning me some saltybucks in the near future

Hope to see Filia winning me some saltybucks in the near future
It would make my day if someone makes a Marie that summons Spinal from KI and MvC2 Jill's Resident Evil Zombies.

Reactions: erkicman
Ok, I asked Brian about this and the emails are as follow
Hey. Wanted to ask a quick question about the Digital Art Compendium's you guys just sent out (SO MANY PANTY SHOTS I CAN'T IGNORE NOW). Is it okay to display the pictures online either in part (1-2 frames), in bits (all frames of a particular animation), in whole (MEGAUPLOAD LOL) or use our discretion (For instance, want to point out how the giant sword actually gets broken during Ultimate Showstopper)? The original email didn't say anything about that and I just want to clarify for others who may be share happy. Thank you.
Sorry that I didn't get back to this e-mail sooner. I don't think there would be any problem in uploading singular frames; it's not like we can already stop the masses who have already done so!
Just practice discretion, and of course, the frames are not allowed for commerical re-use.

Thanks!
So there

Reactions: Balder
1. Anyone notice that some moves have missing frames? Cerecopter goes "Frame 1, frame 4, frame 6, frame 8" then continues counting up like normal (9, 10, 11, 12, etc). Were there frames that never made it into the game but for some reason they still move over those numbers, or were they frames that were removed after creation for the sake of gameplay? Either way, were there frames withheld from the Compendium?
As far as frame numbering goes, when I get roughs the frames are 123456789 etc. If the rough is overanimated, as was the case for Copter, then some of those frames don't get used in the game, don't get cleaned up, and are thus dropped so the final animation could be 1-12-100 for all you know.

If it was in the folder it got dumped and put into the compendium, which is why there are unused things everywhere. If we HAD withheld things, I certainly would have removed that Filia time-out. >.>

2. Anyone find it weird that the death animations are kept in "hitstun" rather than "poses"? Poses keeps the win, lose, time out, and intro animations, but the death animations are separate.
Blame Filia for a lot of this stuff. We don't really have a "death" animation, knee-fall is a hitstun. The death anim is simply the same thing but invincible, so it makes sense to keep it in hitstuns.

3. Why is Cerebella's "Tag-in" frames Filia frames? I found Bella's tag in frames in Doubles folder, but she was Double color.
Her tag in is D+MP, the frames are re-used from the j.D+MP folder (frames aren't duplicated in SG when possible, because memory). Everyone started off as a copy of someone else - Filia->Cerebella->Peacock, then Peacock turned into a template sprite which is what everyone else starts as now. So she has Filia frames in her folder because I didn't delete them - frames don't get included in the game if they aren't used, so sprites can have all kinds of garbage in there.

4. Was Hornet Bomber originally a super for Cerebella? "Peach" is in her super folder.
Stabbing Peach (a pun on Mika's buttslam) was originally for Cerebella, yes, but I couldn't get it to have any use that made it distinct from moves she already had. All of Double's stuff is re-use or as close to re-use as we could get - Item Crash is Peacock's items, gunshot I think we drew the bullet for, cat heads already had an unused drill anim, etc.

Filia was pretty much the only character we straight-up wasted animations for, because she was mostly done before we got signed so we had no organization yet. She's also the reason everyone's knee fall is SOO LOOOONG and the down-hitstuns are all weirdly organized.

Fortune's CSF endings -> you got that backward. They were originally designed as normals, and ended up being used as the CSF endings instead.

[edit] Re: non-blurred shading and no lighting...er, there's no way to do the non-blurred shading, the images are half-sized ingame and that's all baked in. :^P And removing the lighting wouldn't help bad computers run the game, the thing that takes the most time is a shader that interpolates a palettized texture, the lighting is way cheap compared to that.

Reactions: BallotBoxer
[edit] Re: non-blurred shading and no lighting...er, there's no way to do the non-blurred shading, the images are half-sized ingame and that's all baked in. :^P And removing the lighting wouldn't help bad computers run the game, the thing that takes the most time is a shader that interpolates a palettized texture, the lighting is way cheap compared to that.
That is quite interesting.

Is it at all possible to get a specific stage without any lighting on it anyway? Sorta surprised this isn't the case with Class Notes.

I'd just like to see the sprites without anything obscuring on them.

Knowing Ms.Fourtune's Barrage followups were originally normals sucks, The drill would have limited use except as an anti crossup but having at least one character with a dash attack would have been cool. Well, she already got a new (and useful) normal so it's all good.

These are probably the last frames I'm uploading, but there were some more Bella ones I wanted to share.

The first ones are one of Cerebella's Tongue. She has 22 frames where her tongue is out. I find it funny. http://imgur.com/a/wBc4O/embed

The second ones are Errors I've found. Not many, but there were some. During the super jump startup it looks like some of the fingers aren't shadowed in, and the incorrect diamond and skull coloring on one of those thrown frames. The last one is on Diamond Drop, but I'm not sure if it's an error in the frame or if the picture I got is messed up. http://imgur.com/a/qr5Rm/embed

The third ones are motions that I never noticed before. Like, the sparkles and sword (in the first few kicks at least, I hadn't noticed those) on air grab, how Cerebella's hair actually looks like it's getting twirled up during Cerecopter, how she uses Vice Versa's fingers to double jump, or how Vice Versa does a one-finger push-up type thing on a tech roll forward, or how Vice Versa holds up (or tries to, lol) Cerebella's skirt when being hit by Excellebella. http://imgur.com/a/kF41O/embed

The fourth and final ones are frames that make me want Evil Bella more than ever. In my mind, Evil Bella wouldn't be too different from now, she'd just be more Evil. I don't need her to be like Evil Ryu from SF (SFA3 E.Ryu I mean, though I definitely don't want her like SSF4 E.Ryu), but just a voice pack and a story mode would make me happy (though I guess that's still a lot, heh). http://imgur.com/a/7lQRG/embed

Graahhhhhhh! I can't stop thinking about this...I need it nooowwwww!

I always wonder if Bella is aware that she might bite her tongue while blocking strong moves.
Well, Vice Versa's hella strong. So maybe he absorbs all of the force so she doesn't move much? Or, y'know. Nano-Machines son.