• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Don't BS me, how HARD is this game?

When I came into Skullgirls, I had never really played fighting games seriously before. Sure, I had played a bit of Mortal Kombat and Soul Calibur at a friend's house, but I wasn't playing very seriously, and I wasn't very good. Claiming no experience and no skill, I was prepared to get utterly stomped as I went into Story Mode. Admittedly, after choosing Painwheel and getting stomped by Peacock, I thought my fears were confirmed.

But I persisted and tried someone else. And I learned how to play. I'm probably not doing it the "right" way, but I don't care!

Skullgirls is a bit of a unique experience for me, because unlike a normal demotivating loss, a loss here just makes me want to try again more. Even a loser like me can pry a win away from the online players sometimes.

Skullgirls' base has its fair share of players, good and bad (I've played people who are even worse than me). Learning to play Skullgirls is easy, however—can't use relatively, though; no other experience here. More important than being easy, though, is that Skullgirls is fun.
So go get it. 'Cause a fun game is a good game.

For YOU, but I'm looking at the why do experts taunt new players thread, and the OP begs to differ.
Everything is a different difficulty for everyone. Some people are able to pick up games easier than others. Skullgirls may or may not be "your game", but at least give it a chance rather than lurking on SkullHeart and going off of other people's opinions.
Go in with an open mind to the game and just let the mechanics flow. Don't go looking for optimal combos because that's not what this game is about. Learn a little about the combo system and make up your own stuff, which might just be a 4 hit ground combo into Super, but that's fine, truly. SkullGirls is an extremely easy game to have FUN with, compared to other fighters.

this game is some what difficult to get into but when you actually get into it and find characters that are right for you, the game really opens up and there is a lot of stuff you can do with it

I don't think this is a question of how hard this game is rather than a question of how much of a shit you need to give in order to play it competitively. Just quit lol

Reactions: WayForger and Icky
this game is some what difficult to get into but when you actually get into it and find characters that are right for you, the game really opens up and there is a lot of stuff you can do with it

Some are saying its easy, some are saying it isn't. Always assume the worst so maybe everyone is overstating it because of personal skill level?

Some are saying its easy, some are saying it isn't. Always assume the worst so maybe everyone is overstating it because of personal skill level?

The best advice anybody can offer is play it for yourself and make your own decision. If you don't want to do that, then this is pretty pointless.

im gonna be blunt here, it is hard, but just as hard as learning to drive and ride a bike, yah it is hard at first, but when you get into it, the game appears to get easier.

When you compare it to other fighting games. Executionally it is by far the easiest I've played, haven't played every fighting game but I've played a lot. There are a few system things to learn when beginning and they will take some learning, yeah, but they are also fun and the possibilities of the game will open up to you as you explore them.

This isn't to say that difficult execution isn't needed for more advanced things, but at a base level, Skullgirls demands a very small amount of technical prowess to play.

When you compare it to the entirety of gaming, well, yeah its difficult. When you compare it to just competitive games, its probably about average.

You don't seem to have the attitude to improve though, you are dismissing it before even getting your hands on it and you seem to already be stuck in the beginner trap looking at EVO finals (of an outdated version of the game after which combos have shortened significantly) and seeing the combos, but not the actual game being played there.

Reactions: ClarenceMage
To be honest TC, I don't think the problem here is whether SG is easy or hard to learn but that you are getting frustrated too easily. You need to relax more. Try making friends with the people you play or better yet, try making friends here and playing them. It'll help you to not take your losses as seriously and it gives you people to get critiques and advice from.

That said, SG is pretty easy to get into. A lot of people have already mentioned the execution and the tutorials but one thing I think that makes SG even easier to get into than most FGs is that for the most part, our community is very nice. If you politely ask someone to go easy on you a bit or give you advice, most people would be happy to do just that. Hell, I do both of those without anyone asking me to, lol.

Shouldn't the question here be "Is it enjoyable and fun to get into?"

As with any video game, you learn the rules and mechanics, and mash buttons until you learn what buttons do what and find the most efficient pattern of button mashing (i.e. combos).
If you haven't noticed, there's a forum dedicated to helping each grow as players and as a community. Hell this thread is already 2 pages long hoping to welcome you into this community.
Also, if you play on PC, feel free to add those you face to your friends list. Most will accept and take time to be training buddies.

Whether or not Skullgirls is hard is up to you, but whether or not you find it fun is how you approach the game.

You don't seem to have the attitude to improve though.

False, I put in a good six months into marvel before I couldn't play it anymore, the incoming and mixups were so strong 90% of my matches were just watching my opponents beating the shit out of me, I do not want to waste money on he same experience, so when I saw extremely long combos and resets there was an instant red flag.

I can just give you the damn game if you don't want to risk $15. Oh no $15? instead of 30 or 60? Gee what a risk.

EDIT: Just slap on your steam name (because the one on your profile doesn't work)

Edit 2: Actually I dunno what version you want but I got a steam one with no purpose and gathering dust

Last edited:
The combos are really short so you don't need to learn hard ones now.

Just make up resets and have fun its a video game.

This is probably one of if not the most "make up as you go along" fighting games out right now so just do whatever you like, if it works, keep doing it, if it doesn't stop doing it. Have fun!

I can just give you the damn game if you don't want to risk $15. Oh no $15? instead of 30 or 60? Gee what a risk.

EDIT: Just slap on your steam name (because the one on your profile doesn't work)

Edit 2: Actually I dunno what version you want but I got a steam one with no purpose and gathering dust

MB I was playing rust and temporarily changed my name to alphabasedgod.

A lot of words coming at ya. Hope they help.

When I started playing Skullgirls, I was garbage in general at FGs. I'd never practiced any fighter in depth, and I thought that beating the computer on hard mode made me big pimpin. My best game before I started Skullgirls was SF4, only cause I played it for nearly 4 years. After 4 years, I was basically barely intermediate level. The game didn't feel like... well, like you could learn anything about it without outside help. A lot of games felt like that, there were a lot I tried to get into that I loved the look of, but it just felt like everything had 10 years of people who collectively brought it to where it is today. I tried MVC3, and was utter garbage. I literally could not get a combo (I was laughed out of forums, people told me that if I couldn't get a combo in this game that I should quit fighting games altogether), though it didn't help my team was Hsien-Ko/Spiderman/X-23 and no one cared about those characters at first.

Anyway, when I started playing Skullgirls, I was really bad, and there was a point I almost quit (I have other issues that make it difficult for me to play fast paced games). But before I did, I realized that the game naturally made it obvious to advance. This game wants you to get better. I have no idea how, but it allows you to learn and discover better than any other game. Other games you have to already know how it works, this one you can sit in your room by yourself in training mode and get a lot of important insight.

So... is the game hard? Yes. Anything that requires mastery is hard. It wouldn't be worth mastering if it wasn't. But this game provides you with everything you need in the easiest way available to master it, moreso than any other Fighting Game I've ever played, at least. And I can honestly say that SG has been the most rewarding game I've ever played. Definitely worth 15 bucks, and I'd suggest a month of playing with it before you decide you really don't think you can be good. A month of playing a little here and there gives you enough to know how everything works in general, and be comfortable enough with your character to start discovering.

As far as experts in beginner rooms go, I really, really hate when people do that. But remember, it's not about winning or losing, you gotta have fun. If not, theres no point. Also, before thinking about winning, you have to learn the game first. If you make a beginner room or join one and it isn't a beginner, just leave after the match is over and look again. Find another beginner and add him to your friends list and play him often. Stuff like that.

So @Stuff is the real Santa celebrating Christmas all day erryday.
...Did I ever mention that I love you guys?

I think the game is easy to learn with some dedication.

The real problem is when beginners start to get the hang of it real quick then refuse to make intermediate level rooms.

Reactions: Dime
Pretty sure that every single last person here agrees that it's the easiest fighting game of the current gen though.

Pretty sure that every single last person here agrees that it's the easiest fighting game of the current gen though.
There's easier ones, in my opinion, but they sacrifice a lot in exchange for accessibility. MK9, Injustice, DOA5, and (obviously) Divekick all come to mind.

I would say that Skullgirls is more lenient than easy. It gives you all the tools you could ask for, shows you how to use them, and lets you go to town without requiring endless practice just to get the timing of a link down, but it doesn't necessarily hold your hand every step of the way a NRS game might, for instance. Skullgirls is a game that trusts you.

Exactly, I'm pretty much don with FG's as a whole, you just get stomped every single time, I just got off of AE and it wa nothing, but ass beatings. I never stood a fighting chance.
Learn to block.

how hard a fighter is depends on how you approach it.

I think virtua fighter is easy to get into yet one of the most complex things ever. yet I got into guilty gear and think its kinda easy to get into, but everyone would tell me otherwise. just go about it at your own pace, and dont go into online ranked unless you've played with friends.

Learn to block.
you. not helping. at all.

try going for the harder difficulties of arcade mode and eventually you'll learn how to do combos with characters you are comfortable with.

I think part of the problem here is that there's some equivocation over the meaning of 'hard'. As an example imagine the parallel question 'Is chess hard?'. Most people who have learned the game but not really studied it usually reply 'not really, once you learn how all the pieces move'. By contrast, ask a GM and they'l tell you that chess is indeed very difficult.

Similarly, understanding all of the basic systems in SG is easy and that is more than enough to get you to a level of basic competence, which should be more than enough to enjoy playing the game. But if you want to be competitive, and aim for a level where you're good enough to be a threat on a high level, then the whole equation changes.

I know I'm late but how hard is Skullgirls? Well, I've been playing the game for 2-3 months so take what I say with a grain of salt but I don't know if it's really "hard". You just got to put time in it. I have no FG experience prior to this and I feel I am progressing along pretty well. Not ready for my EVO title yet but getter there lol. I would say, and this is someone who hasn't been playing long, that it just depends on how persistent you are. You have to be ready to lose, a lot. I feel that I actually feel I get a lot more out of losing than winning cause that's where I can think what I did wrong and how to improve. For example, I think this one guy kept beating me though using level 1 360 bella super. I didn't beat him, but I was able to look at how he beat me and incorporate in my gameplay a bit. Now I don't know how much this answers the question the OP has 3 pages in. Hell, all I read was the OP and like one post dekillsage made before I started writing this though. So excuse me if this has nothing to do what is going on right now.

All fighting games are hard. They're some of the most difficult games to learn of any genre. Its going to take you weeks before you're half-way competent and the skill ceiling is basically infinite which means if you don't keep playing you'll fall behind. To make things worse a lot of the complexity of fighting games is hidden in the system mechanics and not explained to the player.

Skull Girls makes things a little easier with low execution barriers and tutorials but ultimately its still a fighting game, its still hard.

For YOU, but I'm looking at the why do experts taunt new players thread, and the OP begs to differ.

As the OP you were referring to... no I don't beg to differ. This game actually is one of the easiest combo fighters I've ever played. Its got a great tutorial and combo's are soooo much easier to master do to a very forgiving combo system with a focus more on memorization then 1 frame timings. There's some skill needed to get the max damage combos, sure, but the gap between the every man's combo and the best combo isn't nearly as severe as in most fighting games.

It's funny cause so many people read that first post, ignore the rest of the thread (not unforgivable considering how long and bloated it became), and then talk crap about me being a whiner who doesn't try all over this forum even though I actually have a stupid training journal in the beginner section chronically the hours I've been putting into training...

Honestly, I'd say the hardest thing about skull girls is dealing with the community. There's some nice people here, to be sure, but good grief are there are lot of people who will make you want to quit (and out right tell you to quit). I've had some jerks be rude to me in fighting game communities before, but never as badly as in skull girls. It happens both in game and on the forums, though shockingly the forums have been worse. I was getting really into the game when a combination of computer issues that sidelined me for about a month, with an absurdly mean spirited post on these forums (a culmination of many I've been receiving since I posted the aforementioned thread), pretty much killed my enthusiasm. I mean, I was not only verbally attacked with the usual "you're a fucktard" stuff I'm not really used to getting but see all the time told to other people, but flat out told to quit because the game would be better with out me in it... and the post received multiple likes!? This in the same thread where several other individuals who came to my defense or expressed similar opinions, mostly other beginners, yet were given similar treatment.

Just too much immaturity and desire to see the community remain as small as possible in a genre where you REALLY should want the opposite. Baffling and enthusiasm diminishing to the extreme, I play games to have fun and outside of a few kind souls much of the community has sucked out the fun and instead made me feel like crap all because I admitted to not mashing buttons so they could feel like they were finishing off and already beaten opponent who was still fighting back...

But again, outside of all the forum drama, the actual game is one of the most accessible on the market. Yes it holds the same entry wall of any combo fighter, and thus you either need to find other casual players (which I also admit the games lack of skill based match making makes more difficult then it should be) or you need to love grinding away in the training room because you have to learn at least the core BnB combos to not be at an overwhelmingly large disadvantage, but again, that's true for all combo fighters, and compared to most, Skull Girls is THE best, bar none, at letting you pick combos up quick and get into actually playing the game. Its combos aren't short by any means, but they are very forgiving compared to so many other games out there, even for some one with as lack luster of hand eye coordination as myself.

The community may have made me scared to play online (seriously, death threats if I stop fighting back? Its just a game...), but if you've got thicker skin then me, the actual game's game play is beginner friendly (again, compared to most combo fighters). Just know up front that there is no skill based match making so the game does send us back to the late 90s when it was up to players themselves, in an already small community to try to find other players around their skill level, but in theory if you can find them, you can enjoy the game even at a beginner level.

Honestly, I'd say the hardest thing about skull girls is dealing with the community.
To be fair, the community is a LOT better to deal with than others in the FGC. If you ever experienced rejection here and thought it was bad, you haven't been to many forums. Forums are forums, and you'll always find people who are internet tough guys. After having met everyone at EVO I can assure you that any negativity you may have experienced is in no way representative of the community.

This game is hard? People troll beginners? Have I just been living under a rock, when did all this happen?

Reactions: scrubbyscum999
It's been happening the whole time you living under that rock. I'm even sure how you found that comfortable.

(besides this happens in EVERY game)

That happens all over the internet. If that makes you quit then you are better off not playing online games. That's just a fact of online life.

If you want to play you can add me (steam: lampserver). I am intermediate player at best. I don't mind playing beginners if they are trying to learn. Against really bad players I will play my team without calling assists.

I personally have never seen anyone "trolling beginners" on Steam. I mean I'm sure it happens every now and than, and I've heard one or two people complain, but it doesn't look like it's any worse than any other game.

Honestly, I'd say the hardest thing about skull girls is dealing with the community.

I'm guessing you've never seen any other community (for any competitive game, let alone fighting games) if you thinks this one is so awful. My experience of this community has been pretty damn nice. Not perfect, but no LARGE GROUP OF PEOPLE ever is.

Reactions: DawnHibiki
Go on any popular Street Fighter IV board and see all their "lively" discussions about "vortex, footsies, 1-frame links, nerf cammy, P-linking, -1 frame advantage on Ryu c.MK" BS and then come back and talk about bad community in Skullgirls. :P

I admit I haven't frequented Shoryuken in some time, but I used to be an active member of their forums, and was one of the most active and vocal members of the Cammy boards for a while. I was never really active in, but I did also use to frequent both Dust Loop and HomingCancel. Despite being just as "nooby" in those games as I am in this one (probably much worse as I found the entry barrier much higher there do to links and difficult cancels being so vital to intermediate game-play) I never had anywhere close to the negative experience I've had on here. When people attacked me or other members of the community of their opinions, other members of the community stepped in and stomped out the negative behavior. Here, the negative posts received likes and supporting posts.

I don't mean to make a mountain out of a mole hill here, I'm sure things could be worse and are worse else where on the internet, its a very large, very crazy place. I'm also certain part of my problem stems from a lack of a thick skin, thinned out by years of being bullied when I was a kid. All I'm stating was my opinion based on my experiences, and if I've had that experience, other players can too, so I feel its a fair warning to anyone who would try to join this community. Just in the aforementioned thread alone there were I believe a couple of potential new players who shared opinions similar to mine who were pushed out of the community by those posting within it, and who knows how many more are lost who never even take the time to post but simply see how others are treated on these forums. You can't control your neighbors, but you certainly don't have to encourage their bad behavior by liking their posts.

Anyway I have to leave for work so I'll have to leave my thoughts at that...

I was writing a long response to this but deleted it. Ultimately, if people on here are making it difficult for newer players (or any subset of the playerbase, for that matter) than that's a problem for which the responsibility comes back to me. Perhaps this is a discussion that we as a community need to have, but this isn't the thread for it. For now, I'll just say that I'm genuinely more than happy to assist anyone who has a problem with other users or really anything around here.

However, this is straying from the thread topic, so can we return to the discussion at hand?

Exactly, I'm pretty much don with FG's as a whole, you just get stomped every single time, I just got off of AE and it wa nothing, but ass beatings. I never stood a fighting chance.
So you want to go from shit to top tier without practicing? Fighting games aren't for you then.

The characters are very easy to learn compared to other games, and the combo system is pretty easy to learn as well. The only really hard thing in this game is blocking lmao

So you want to go from shit to top tier without practicing? Fighting games aren't for you then.

Thank you.

I am a shit player, but I want to be better. I practice (well, when I have my fight stick I can practice better but you get the point). It's like, of someone beats your ass you get up and try again. Don't be a sore loser.

Reactions: Vladislav_Paizis
The characters are very easy to learn compared to other games, and the combo system is pretty easy to learn as well. The only really hard thing in this game is blocking lmao
for me its air combos.... OTL it always goes back to air combos...