• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Don't BS me, how HARD is this game?

for me its air combos.... OTL it always goes back to air combos...
Air combo's have always been a struggle for me too, but for whatever reason I seem better at them in this game (that is to say, I can actually execute them occasionally as opposed to never) compared to most fighting games where air combos are involved, which is part of why I feel SkullGirls is more accessible, its hard to put into words as a casual player (I'm sure the more hard core could give the exact reason combos are easier) but things just feel more forgiving. Again I'm only talking at the basic every man ground and air combos, I'm sure the really good stuff still seperates the men from the skullgirls, but I, for example, invested probably close to 100 hours in the training room in SF4 trying to get down FADCing and Cammy's supposedly easiest non-optimal damage scrub combo (required a 2 frame link in the middle prior to where the majority of the damage came out of), and I never got to a point beyond being able to do either better then about once out of every 10 trys. I've never felt that behind the eight ball with any of the core beginner stuff in skull girls.

So you want to go from shit to top tier without practicing? Fighting games aren't for you then.
I admit this user hasn't exactly given me a strong feeling with his most recent posts that he genuinely wants to give skull girls a chance, and there is some truth to your statement, but in my personal opinion that statement really didn't need to be expressed, the OP already stated as much, either let him leave or help convince him to stay, no reason to put your foot on his butt and push him out the door.

Its hard to say from the OPs comments, but its possible he just wants to be able to feel like he's competing online, which he obviously didn't with SF4. Its tricky business to be sure, with any pvp game, in order for some one to win, some one has to lose, and a combination of natural skill and time invested will always directly effect the results. One thing skull girls is not is a button mashers paradise, you can not just button mash you're way to victory over good players, 99 times out of 100 the better player is probably going to win in a skull girl match. That said, while this game doesn't do a great job at it by any stretch, there are beginner and casual rooms a player can join and be scrubby and still win some games and enjoy themselves. This is an area I think really should be improved for this game for it to survive, better beginner match making, so we can start cultivating all types of new talent rather then only letting in those who decided before they ever even had any fun in a match that they were going to dedicate their life to being good at a relatively obscure small community indie game no matter how unfun the first few months of playing it were. You want to grow your community, then you need to find ways to make the game fun for most people from when they're first starting out, till when they actually do become good enough to compete with the big skull girls. Skull Girls FANTASIC tutorials were a great start, but then players are immediately thrown to the wolves right after.

Not saying we have a ton of control over that, since most of us aren't working on programming skull girls, but I feel a better response to a player like this OP was Vadsamoht's:

But perhaps with more explanation about how, if you start by playing with beginners, 1 touch deaths (which as mentioned are something that have been reduced since the video the OP linked) aren't something you'll commonly run into for a good long while. Yes long powerful combos and resets are still a part of the highest level of play, but you don't HAVE to play with those people, and if you do end up loving the game, maybe some day you'll be good enough to do the combos right back. Again, yes its a little annoying that you have to use lobbies and threads like that to find similar skilled opponents and work your way up rather then having a build in match making system, but SF4 is a great example of a game that does have match making but will often having you getting face stomped 9 times out of 10 anyway cause there just aren't many beginners left in that game.

Anyway, my lunch break is almost over, but just wanted to chime in again. Maybe we can petition mikeZ to put "What to do now? In addition to practicing in the training rooms and against AI, we suggest using beginner lobbies or finding fellow beginners on forums online before using quick match" at the end of their tutorial section so beginner players who do go through the tutorial realize this should be their next step if they're a true beginner or just a casual player.

I admit I haven't frequented Shoryuken in some time, but I used to be an active member of their forums, and was one of the most active and vocal members of the Cammy boards for a while. I was never really active in, but I did also use to frequent both Dust Loop and HomingCancel. Despite being just as "nooby" in those games as I am in this one (probably much worse as I found the entry barrier much higher there do to links and difficult cancels being so vital to intermediate game-play) I never had anywhere close to the negative experience I've had on here. When people attacked me or other members of the community of their opinions, other members of the community stepped in and stomped out the negative behavior. Here, the negative posts received likes and supporting posts.

Who exactly has been so mean to you in this community? Maybe would help if you had some names or something?

If it's so bad I would just make a list of everyone who's been acting badly and is "a member of the community". Wouldn't count random faceless stream/quick match monsters though, since they never post on forums and are hardly members of any community.

Its beginner friendly with its learning curve, the problem stems from PvP matches with advanced leveled players.

You also have to remember beginner lobbies have a wide range of skill. When I go into beginner lobbies I find everyone to people I can beat (keep that in mind from a self proclaimed scrub) to people I can barely beat. Go to tutorial first though, if there is any newcomers reading this and actually are trying to at least be intermediate.

If ya ever need a new player to play with, OP, then don't hesitate to get in touch with me. I still have a lot to learn and maybe we could practice together sometime?

I made an account just to share my experience.

First of all, to answer the question straight out: Yes and No. It's all very, very relative. In comparison to the majority of games in general, sure, it's hard, but the whole fighting game genre is hard. When I want to relax, I play some Civ V on easy difficulties, or hell, even harder ones because I'm just really good at it now, but when I want something that's pretty engaging and difficult, I'll play a fighting game. Now in fighting game comparison, I'd say it's one of the easiest, but not because of balance or combos or any of that mombo jumbo, but just because it FEELS nice. Mechanically, in the engine, this game is rock solid and smooth. I would say it's difficult, but not frustrating, which are two very different things. It's understandable to be frustrated from being locked in a half bar destroying combo or for your character model's hand to connect to the face but not register a hit. A lot of things that make the game difficult are within your control, which I feel is the important part.

Anyways, as far as my experience, I bought the game only recently during the Steam Winter Sale, so, a few weeks ago, and let me tell you, it's ultra fun even if you're not playing online, and, I don't. I've NEVER connected to an online game, because, well, the game is fun just by itself. Are there some faults with it? Sure, I personally think the story would just be better not existing at all, but, it's worth a purchase regardless. You listen to that music and look at that character design as you play with good feeling controls and fun atmosphere, and even when playing offline, you can still keep yourself entertained. It's kinda hard to say that about a lot of fighting games, even non traditional ones like the SSB series. The game was built with a lot more love than just the idea of having a "fighting game". I've only played one match with another person, where we did local, and this guy plays non-stop Injustice, so he picks it up and beats me up ultra quickly, even though I had been playing for weeks. Oh well, that's that. But I'll just keep playing, and maybe I might even play online.

So, if anyone else is reading this, asking if the game is hard and not sure if they want to buy it, just consider this. The game is difficult (for me at least, being new to fighters) but it's far from frustrating. It's all justifiable difficulty. The game is worth a purchase even if you don't want to get owned by veterans. It's a great experience offline and as you play offline you'll get a base skill to not feel frustrated against veterans, at the very least.

This game has a lot of love in it, it's not just a hub for competition. And as you embrace those other parts, you'll make your way to a competitive basis.

Reactions: Broseidon Rex
Well, if your COMPLETELY new to traditional fighting games (2D that is) your first place to spend your time is in the training lobby. Learn ALL the basics and stuffs like that most 2D fighting games has. This game cover up them all. Then pick a character and be good with it. (Mostely recommend Filia, Valentine and/or Ms. Fortune for beginners becous there "basic" combos are (IMO) easy to learn).

First time will be hard if you have no experiance in these kind of fighting games. But the more you play, the better you will become. It's that "easy". btw, and stay out from online playing first. Recommend you play untill you can defeat Nightmare bots on the first trys (Marie boss fight not included) first.

I'm sure there are douches in the community. But that happens anywhere you get a large group of people on the internet. That's not even an exclusive feature of the Skullgirls community. Just watch some Twitch streams with the FGC.

Or Saltybets.

Or... anything on the internet. You can see Youtube comments on a video with a young girl singing beautifully and find someone saying something lewd, demoralizing or just creepy. That's anonimity in the internet for you.

Now, if you were to be in a Facebook group for Skullgirls (I'm in 3) you'd see people are much nicer when your identity isn't freaking Superman secret.

Hey OP, if you need somebody to practice with, you can hit me up if you want. I'm absolute garbage but I could always use another sparring partner.

Cleaned up a bunch of very off-topic posts.
Back to the discussion at hand please.

Re: OP:
This game is easy to pick up, hard to master, and VERY VERY honest.
Whether you're good or bad at the game, it shows and the game doesn't baby you in the same way SF4 or Marvel 3 might, but it has very simple inputs, and it gives you the tools to help improve yourself (tutorial and training mode options).

There's also this forum as a resource and most people here would be glad to help you out.

I will still say though if you can't do any form of aerial combos in any fighting game, this game will have the steepest of learning curves.

I think it's pretty easy to pick up and start playing but like everyone says it's hard to reach master/expert level, but because of resets and point+assist combos you can really take games against people who are better than you by punishing silly mistakes.
You'll be able to see yourself improve as you play it and probably feel good about it too, as long as you take one thing at a time and don't get discouraged it's not too rage inducing.

Whenever you need help these forums are great for helping out new players in the beginner section, or you can start a training diary were people can constantly offer you dynamic advice with problems you're coming across in game.
Skullgirls is my first real fighting game and I think it's pretty straight forward.

False

True. Six months spent on getting beaten in a game =/= putting in legitimate effort to learn things that you cannot do yet, which from what you're saying you are unwilling to do. You're blaming the game for being hard instead of yourself for being impatient and unwilling to learn a game unless it's easy. Skullgirls is an easy to learn fighting game compared to others, but fighting games ARE NOT EASY. You need the ability to not give up, the ability to find people to play with, the ability to take responsibility for your own failures and make honest efforts to look into what needs to be done to improve your game.

If you want to put in the time and effort into learning the best genre on the planet, then it requires actual effort. Fighting games don't spoon feed you.

Every single person who started playing fighting games has started out as bad or even worse than you. I have footage of me playing SF4 in 2009... it's not pretty. It wasn't the games fault I sucked though - I just didn't know how to play properly. However, the only thing stopping me from improving was myself, I did improve, and fighting games are one of the most enjoyable things in my life right now.

Learn to block.

There are many mixups/ ways to open someone up even when they are blocking. Aeriel attacks can also cross you up, it is more than just learn to block.

So you want to go from shit to top tier without practicing? Fighting games aren't for you then.

That would make sense if I actually posted that I wasn't going to practice, that is reaching a whole lot to even assume that.

If ya ever need a new player to play with, OP, then don't hesitate to get in touch with me. I still have a lot to learn and maybe we could practice together sometime?

I'll add, and when I feel ready to fight other players we can definitely get some matches in.
Hey OP, if you need somebody to practice with, you can hit me up if you want. I'm absolute garbage but I could always use another sparring partner.

Will add.

Actually, I really suck at fighting games. Seriously, I'm not good at any fighting game, but when I bought Skullgirls, I was a whole different person! Skullgirls is for everyone, very easy to pick up and play.

It's one of the easiest fighting games to pick up I've ever played. The motions for specials, supers, etc are made as easy as possible. Motions are very lenient, you'll almost never miss one. You can confirm into combo off of just about anything. There are very few links and most of them are lenient ones.

Really the best type, so easy to pick up it doesn't matter if you have no previous experience in fighting games, but at the same time being difficult to master.

Reactions: scrubbyscum999
Played online for a bit, was pretty much the same experience as marvel. Hard to block assist and the player at the same time, couldn't really do much , but block for the majority of the game.

Played online for a bit, was pretty much the same experience as marvel. Hard to block assist and the player at the same time, couldn't really do much , but block for the majority of the game.

Maybe because you aren't very good? Seriously, why would you expect to be great starting out when playing against experienced players? Make a beginner lobby, don't use quick match. Quick match puts you against anybody, so you will get rocked often.

Use more invincible moves.

The best sg player in the world uses two invincible assists on his team and calls them out constantly. Take a page out of his book and use your assists to protect you. And in the case where your assist isnt available, use your own super or invincible move to blow through your enemy's attack.

Contrary to popular belief, blocking doesnt win games. Pressing the right buttons does. Blocking is almost always a last resort or for those cases where YOU KNOW what your opponent is going to do and you are pretty sure that you can defend against it. People say you need to learn to block... Well not in skullgirls. In skullgirls they have these moves... Called throws. They are very good in skullgirls. They arent blockable and most will hitconfirm into full combo. And if you think that a throw is coming and you jump to avoid it, a low will catch you and hitconfirm. Or if you tried to tech the throw, a low will beat your break attempt and you will get combod. Thats why blocking isnt good in sg, there are to many deadly unreactable mixups in the game. Its better to learn how to keep yourself from blocking for the longest amount of time (without getting hit) you'll see that its hard and that the only real way to do this is attack your opponent so that THEY are the one blocking or getting hit.... OR you will realize that the other way to not block yet not get hit as well, is to make your opponents attacks wiff or to simply stay out of range of your opponents attacks.

Once you realize that and can actually play the ranged game and start to stay out of your opponents range... You will finally come to the point where you really understand why blocking sucks and correct movement is paramount in sg as well as you wont have this problem of "only being able to block" cause you will have learned something new:

Zoning and footsies.

Zoning and footsies is what makes the best players the best and the worst players the worst. And it has everything to do with staying out of your opponents range, yet working yourself into range.

In sg, simply making an opponent block on the ground is damn near a win condition cause of how good the mixups in sg are.

Which is where reversals come in and we come full circle.

So look not to blocking well. Look to moving well and being really hard to hit while not cornering yourself and giving yourself attack options.

Training dummy to an actual player is the worst transition so of course you gotta fight more real players to understand approaches and various other things.

Combos are worthless, neutral game is everything. (but once you have them close then combos matter.)

Everyone has to start somewhere =D

Just keep at it and you will eventually get the hang of the game. Doesn't take long to pick up the basics, and if you balance your lab time with training against others you'll be picking up those W's in no time. Sounds like you are off to a good start by coming here to help develop your style too.

As you play more and get more experience that will change

Reactions: Uzumakihero
I support Dime's last sentence, learning how to not get stuck in a bad situation is going to help a lot, but that doesn't mean learning how to get out of one is going to be useless as you'll inevitably be put in a situation like that at some point.

Yeah blocking in this game sucks, if you're blocking you lost already.

Think of it like that. You'll force yourself to get better neutral.

Reactions: mcpeanuts
Yeah blocking in this game sucks, if you're blocking you lost already.

Think of it like that. You'll force yourself to get better neutral.

At the same time just make sure you don't mash buttons unthinkingly and get hit by random pokes as a result.

Also pushblocking and dp assists.

But yeah, you rarely win in this game by being heavily defensive IMO. Even a heavy zoning game is just giving your opponent more chances to get in on you and rush you down (which has a strong chance of being the end of the match or a crippling blow otherwise). IMO defensive tactics are best used as something to mix up your offensive game and catch people taking certain things for granted.

Defense in important in any fighting game. Maybe not AS much as offense in some, but if you don't have solid defense you'll get blown up sooooo often.

Reactions: gllt
This thread actually made me want to launch the game once more today. Not sure for what purpose though since it looks like there are like 4 people playing the game in my city lol.

But anyways, some people ITT really have their perception shifted by coming from MvC or "anime airdashers" or whatever else that requires godlike execution and ungodly reflexes and now claming that "SG is easy". Well, from what I can tell it's indeed easier than quite a lot of similar games - just don't forget that there's no shortage of people (esp. in Steam community) who only played NRS fighting games before, and from their perspective SG is anything but easy, both in terms of execution (case-in point, IGAU: 113 114, oh look that's 35% combo; and then there's SG's requirement to input "honest" directional inputs, charges and the like) and strategy too (assists already add up quite a lot of things to watch out, and it also seems to me, although it's just a PoV of outsider, that SG players aren't "normalized" by their character's framedata and predetermined moveset quite as much as players of NRS games are, if that makes any sense; and then assists affect that a lot too), and ofc powerful mixups and omnipresent sustainable pressure may really scare the hell out of some of those people (of note about those games I've mentioned that some characters have next to no real mixups there).

Obviously, I'm talking about your average casual gamer like myself who probably "should stay away from real FGs" in some people's opinion :P

Last edited:
Seriously though, "anime games" aren't any harder than any other fighting games.

Now there are a couple of characters that are silly in those fighting games like Yoriko, Schoogirl, I-no, Bulleta..ETC

But as a whole, not really, have you SEEN Jin combos, or Ky combos? Vsav outside of a few chars. is "magic series to knockdown". Arcana is magic series into arcana force into combo, Melty is LITTERALLY "ABC Launcher C, B, C, airthrow or air special".

I'd much rather do any Chipp JI combo or I-no VCL6frc6 into something than the innane bullshit that is "sweep the character, press jab twice, jump in on them with roundhouse then hit qcf jab for the option select safe jump into 3 consecutive one frame links".

play cerebella and Lock n Load through everything
maybe do some grappling every now and again

Reactions: codeN1nj4
play cerebella and Lock n Load through everything
maybe do some grappling every now and again
At some point in the future, I will try something similar to this and let you know how it goes.

Reactions: DDB and codeN1nj4
You should do nothing but H Lock n' Load against Parasoul, it's hilarious. She can barely do anything about it.

You should do nothing but H Lock n' Load against Parasoul, it's hilarious. She can barely do anything about it.
I can confirm this.

Reactions: gllt and DDB