• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) 2014 Thread

"oh no we can't do this and that" LEARN HOW TO DO NEW SHIT
Haha what. The game removed all the situations where mind games occur, you cannot mix up your movement, you cannot combo so DI mixups aren't a thing.

Imagine if overheads/lows were removed from a traditional fighter and it had SF4 crouch teching. Oh and when you hit them with anything, even a jab, you both fly back half screen from each other, in an identical situation every time.

edit: L cancel being gone is good, wavedash is inconsequential but would have been nice, dash dancing though? why is it gone?

Reactions: iLoli
Stripping things down or making it more accessible is not fucking bad.
It's the big reason why League of Legends is more widely played than Dota 2.
Because there's less confusing insane shit to keep track of.

I agree its definitely not a bad thing, look at SG, not many mechanics/incredibly easy= good game.

However its not the lack of movement options I am mad about. Its the lack of hitstun and DI, thats a serious fundamental problem that honestly should be fixed. I really don't want Smash 4 to get the same response as Brawl did at a competitive and casual standpoint. They're putting so much marketing into this game it'd really suck if it gets immediately dismissed because of these simple mess ups.

It's a work in progress, you know.
Not everything is gonna be there for a demo.
It has until December at worst for launch

This is true but I'm just saaaying.

You all shouldn't get your hopes for this game, because thats what I did with Brawl and I got S A D B O Y.

I don't want everyone else to be S A D B O Y too :(

Stripping things down or making it more accessible is not fucking bad.
It's the big reason why League of Legends is more widely played than Dota 2.
Because there's less confusing insane shit to keep track of.
There's a difference, it's not making it more accessible, melee was just as accessible.

It is barring out mindgames from being allowed to exist, that is the difference.

Complexity and Depth don't have to be opposites.

I like games with minimum complexity to maximum depth, yes a lot of games like GG and SG do go pretty far on the complex side, but melee was so easy to jump in and play. The rest of the game that evolved is outside the normal game, you DON'T need to know the advanced tactics to play the game and enjoy the full experience like in other fighters. But the depth is there if you want it without making it needlessly complex in too many ways. (Except L cancel, because there is no choice there, what is the point)

Smash 4 was never going to be melee, it just looked like they were trying to make a game with fun feeling movement and lots of interplay again. But it was revealed today that was not the case.

@keninblack
Actually hitstun and DI both exist.

Hitstun is longer than brawl, but knockback at low %s is way way way way more, so it is impossible to catch up and still combo. Look at the footage again and see how many times they thought they mixed up correctly and got a followup only for it to be air dodged due to how far away they were, especially with grabs.

DI is in (and apparently quite effective, look at hungrybox surviving to ludicrous % with floaty kirby) but smash DI isn't in. Smash DI I'm 50/50 on, it was a bit convoluted but did make the combo game more involved.

I imagine that if something is a big enough problem
sakurai can just patch it
he said that he's really interested and willing to patch the game in order make it balanced and fix any real issues
any
REAL
issues
not fakeass melee issues

You know it's going to be physically incapable for me to be disappointed by Smash Bros 4.
Why?
All new and fun looking characters, every single character has emotion and personality (did you all see how pretty much every character has their own screen KO animation), and because it's just going to be fun and with better online.
I didn't notice any problems with the invitational at all until the end, and I'm more than likely not going to care about any flaws in it.

Reactions: Jake Was Here
I'm sure it will be fun still for 4 player games, the game will always be designed for that.

I guess I let myself slip into that childlike hype state for the first time in years and it was a bad idea.

I want more 1v1 smash games, the type of game is so much fun and it is so very different to anything else that exists.

@Ruin
What's with the anti-games should be fun for everyone attitude?

Games can be more than what they are right now, we don't have to have developers segregating everything into "casual" or "hardcore"

i mean people who just want the game to be melee
the people who will just complain
and complain
AND COMPLAIN
that the game isn't melee
if the game is going to be patched, I would want it to because of legitimate issues that everyone is having with the game
if the game has another meta knight, patch that guy to balance that shit
don't patch it because of a vocal minority who just want a sequel expansion

i mean people who just want the game to be melee
the people who will just complain
and complain
AND COMPLAIN
that the game isn't melee
if the game is going to be patched, I would want it to because of legitimate issues that everyone is having with the game
if the game has another meta knight, patch that guy to balance that shit
don't patch it because of a vocal minority who just want a sequel expansion
Except you are creating a straw man to generalise smash players.

Not everyone wants another melee. People just want another platform fighter that is as fun to play at any level. Melee has a very developed and basically set in stone metagame now. It is fun to go through the discovery phase again. Things that hamper the ability to mix your opponent up reduce the depth of the game without really making it any easier to play.

i just want to be Little Mac and punch people

I'm just going to back out of this because it isn't going to help anyone with anything.

I hope the game starts its own genre though, airdash online was/is kinda inspiring. I really want platform fighters to become a thing, in general. With lots of choice, so people don't have to argue about the way the one game should be.

Heyo. If you think the game is going to change significantly between now and launch, you are likely wrong. I remember seeing a JP release date of September somewhere, if that's accurate then the game is DONE-done by early August at the very very very latest, most likely mid or early July. Most companies (in fact, zero) are like us and changing things up until the end.

Also, the removal of the stuff they removed is BAD, from a design perspective. It makes what is allowable/available in the game (in terms of mixups, mindgames, setups, and creativity) MUCH smaller.

I do
They have a Tier List
Haha yep, I mean it is just impressions, but they can't have played it for all that long.

Wii U has more games out now and on the way that I want to play than the other systems.
Yeah, I was really impressed with the Nintendo presentation. Aside from MK8, there's nothing I really want on it right now, but every second game in that presentation was something I'd probably pick up if I had the console.

Also, it felt like Nintendo stole all of the color and artistic creativity from the other conferences (obvious exceptions being Sunset Overdrive, Fable and Spark, etc). Every game looked so vibrant and loads of them had really unique art styles. Yoshi and Kirby? Hot damn they look amazing. Zelda looks pretty friggin incredible too.

EDIT: Whatever.

(PS Tier Lists for invitational is hilarious)

Last edited:
Jesus Christ people can't we just enjoy a fucking game where Pac-man can punch Megaman in the face while Sonic is kicking Mario from above
The problem here is that you and Ruin are looking at it from a different perspective than Tomo and your last respective comments showed that.

If you don't care about the game from a design aspect, fine. Baller, no one can force you and I hope they don't, because that would be a dick move.

But there's a difference between "oh man this game doesn't resemble anything else on the market and could be a problem" and "jesus this isn't melee, where's my melee 2?".

The same with my friend and NRS games, he loves those, even plays competitively and does pretty well.

He wasn't looking for a new MK when Injustice came out, just not a game where Armor is throw-invincible and varible blockstun is the crazy thing that it is.

You guys are basically saying "Nah you just want another MK 9! I just want to see Black Adam vs. Shazam!".
Which is fine, but is an entirely different perspective.

So much that there isn't even an argument going on, just miscommunication.

Last edited:
Just an FYI, there's a Smash Bros thread here if you want to continue indepth discussion about newsmash's mechanics and whatnot

Grim Fandango HD was my favorite thing about E3 2014, personally. Maybe Disney is more receptive than LucasArts was to allow this sort of thing to happen...

I'm especially excited for this news
Tim Schafer Tweet said:
Talk about other platforms soon! Sony's been a great help making this happen & we're excited to be working with them on the console version!
I tried just running the demo on my computer with no luck, a re-release for what's supposed to be a classic sounds awesome.

Bayo 2 gameplay demo. Gunless gliding confirmed.

I know the goal is to show as much sexy gameplay as possible, but sheesh they couldn't let one cutscene play out? Meh.

Anywho, nice to see the people at Platinum are still the fantastic tryhards we know and love. Can't wait to experiment with the new Wicked Weaves and that sick gun/bow and arrow thing.

Last edited:
I have a Grim Fandango cd but it needs an emulator. I would highly prefer for the original title to be playable on Steam, like Duke Nukem 3D, rather than a remake.

Probably half time constraint half not wanting to drop spoilers on people.

The part where knockback is ridculous at 0% and hitstun is so low you can hardly combo ANYTHING past 20%, the grab game is non existent, it has brawl airdodges, you can airdodge so soon out of hitstun it is impossible to combo like in Brawl, they got rid of every single movement option that is any good that isn't jumping and they removed crouch cancelling.

Among a LOT of other terrible things. Like ZSS timer scamming one of the best players in the game for almost a full minute. Oh and rolls/spot dodges seeming pretty free and hard to punish.

http://meleeiton.me/2014/06/10/invitational-impressions/

Read this and cry. Unless you aren't at all interested in competitive smash, in which case you probably don't care, but I do.

EDIT: The character reveals were also the completely predictable ones that everyone was expecting haha.
lol this game sounds like it's gonna be shit

Reactions: Mr Peck
He could be trolling/we also have no idea what really is going to happen.
He could change again.

jojonintendoseuf2.gif

jojonintendoseuf2.gif

That gif is perfect
I'm trying to get into Jojo's cause some of my friends like it and this is just great

The part where knockback is ridculous at 0% and hitstun is so low you can hardly combo ANYTHING past 20%, the grab game is non existent, it has brawl airdodges, you can airdodge so soon out of hitstun it is impossible to combo like in Brawl, they got rid of every single movement option that is any good that isn't jumping and they removed crouch cancelling.

Among a LOT of other terrible things. Like ZSS timer scamming one of the best players in the game for almost a full minute. Oh and rolls/spot dodges seeming pretty free and hard to punish.

http://meleeiton.me/2014/06/10/invitational-impressions/

Read this and cry. Unless you aren't at all interested in competitive smash, in which case you probably don't care, but I do.

EDIT: The character reveals were also the completely predictable ones that everyone was expecting haha.
That sounds a bit dramatic. Did you watch the invitationals? Combos were present but you simply had less time to hit confirm; i.e. you needed better timing. There were times in the invitational where it was obvious that some things combo'd but were just dropped to to lack of experience. Additionally, while low percent knockback may have been increased, higher percent knockback was lower which means combos will be slightly more consistent across damage percentages.

It sounds like you didnt watch the invitational or maybe just missed some things. Histun was present just not melee length and since there were actually air combos it's kinda obvious that the hitstun can't be canceled as soon as it could be in Brawl. The grand finals had a ton of grabbing (it's something that was discussed in the smashboards) and dashes/rolls were getting punished, so the grab game is definitely there. Grab combos were also there but required stricter timing (don't tell me people are about to complain that melee was easier after complaining that brawl was too easy...)

Additionally they nerfed airdodges -in a good way imo- so that they have more recovery and can be punished easier.
They also nerfed projectile game so that it wouldnt be overwhelming for certain matchups. More landing lag.

But concerning that link.....they're already listing tiers based off of limited day1 gameplay...really? While some of that I can see and understand, there are some questionable complaints in the comments section. I mean people were complaining that fox's up-tilt wasn't killing at lower percentages anymore, while ignoring the fact that everyone was dying at higher percentages, i.e. knock back in general was changed; they also fail to mention that his side b doesnt put him in freefall anymore. Too many people focusing on single characters or a single aspect like speed and not the game as a whole imo.

Also, there's this little bit from reddit:
Can't speak for the invitational players, but at every booth/TV display setup the Nintendo reps were asking what improvements we thought could be made. At first I thought it wouldn't really go anywhere/they wouldn't listen to specific suggestions, but in the VIP area a competitive player (blanking on his name) suggested less landing lag after ariels, and bigger dash dancing, and they took the time to write it down and make sure they got the terminology correct! They seemed genuinely interested!

(EDIT: prog posted this on twitter
"The game is a work in progress, but they are listening and asking for advice. For that and the opportunity, #ThankYouNintendo"
)

This and the fact that the game is patchable just makes me even less worried about the games competitive viability.

EDIT:
Heyo. If you think the game is going to change significantly between now and launch, you are likely wrong. I remember seeing a JP release date of September somewhere, if that's accurate then the game is DONE-done by early August at the very very very latest, most likely mid or early July. Most companies (in fact, zero) are like us and changing things up until the end.

Also, the removal of the stuff they removed is BAD, from a design perspective. It makes what is allowable/available in the game (in terms of mixups, mindgames, setups, and creativity) MUCH smaller.
I dunno about changing significantly but I dont think it needs to. Fine tuning plus + proper experience could give people a completely new view of the game. And one or two simple changes can make a new game. SG changed pretty significantly from just the stricter ips and frameskip.

And I personally dont have an issue with removing options if those options are essentially replaced or didnt add significantly to ihigh level gameplay. Take dacus for example. It's seeming been removed but dashes, but dashes and up smash start up have been significantly sped up to the point where having dacus is almost redundant. To me that was a good exchange. Now look at l-canceling. I've never seen it make a legit difference at high level play because by then it was a mindless reflex for the players; it was something they just did. L-canceling is gone and I legit dont care because it wont change the outcome at high level play.

Last edited:
If it's coming out in December, the game is a month or 2 from going gold. Don't hold your breath.

If this is true then that's REALLY fucking stupid. I hope he's just trolling because Lily Bergamo looked like it had some great potential.
How when all we had was a CG trailer with no gameplay?

How when all we had was a CG trailer with no gameplay?
I said it looked like it had great potential. I liked the art style and the fact that the main character was a badass girl fighting a giant mech robot would've been pretty interesting.

Last edited:
Anime Game = Great Potential, apparently.

I don't know why. But the only game(s) I only think about after E3 is Halo: the Master chief collection.
Think I need to get Xbox one on November!