• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Fire Emblem

Stuff

The guy who says the thing you might not like
Reaction score
Now this may look wrong because there is an awakening thread but this one is for the whole series. (Unless I can't see)

That aside, I really hate it when I reach the end game but forget to level up a weapon skill.

this happened to me in radiant dawn where you get his father's axe but it needed SS rank and I never bothered to rank that up.

then I fight the black knight and he gets eclipse EVERY. DAMN. TIME.

so this resulted in me doing nothing but battle saves until rng let me dodge.

I'm sure everyone has fun with RNG and I'd love to hear everyone else's story on how it ruined everything.

Reactions: BeatNinja
Awakening is the shit-- Oh there's an Awakening thread?

No reason to be here then... But in all seriousness I should really branch out into other games in the series.

I remember playing Fe7(triple lords oh my) on my GBA so uh there was no save states at the time and Lyn was about to smash a bandit with killer axe. Not only did she whiff at 90% but the bandit smashed her into oblivion with a 30% chance to hit and a 15% chance to crit. RIP

No reason to be here then... But in all seriousness I should really branch out into other games in the series.

Definitely. I personally recommend the first localized one on GBA.

Awakening is sadly the first and only FE game I have played :(

Don't be blue about it, this is the case for a lot of people.

Don't be blue about it, this is the case for a lot of people.
I blame Japan, they don't send out all there games to the outside world. Just like Mother, just like FF 2, 3 and 5 (it's fixed now though) and more I can't figure out now!

I think I'm gonna start with Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn, AKA the Ike-games. Unless someone would recommend a more suitable starting point.

Edit: Oh, wait, right, the first GBA game. That'd be difficult to get my hands on though, huh?

it's on the Eshop, I believe
or is coming to the EShop, maybe?

I think I'm gonna start with Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn, AKA the Ike-games. Unless someone would recommend a more suitable starting point.

Edit: Oh, wait, right, the first GBA game. That'd be difficult to get my hands on though, huh?

You could just play it on a GBA emulator. Personally I recommend the first localized one (just called Fire Emblem). It stays true to all the series fundamentals, is well executed, has very memorable story and characters. Awesome game whole way through.

Same here, buddy.

No need to think about it negatively, however. You know what they say, better late than never.

Marth is the coolest fire emblem character.
The hero king!!!

Roy is sacred stones if I recall I don't even think Roy exists in that one. Maybe it wasn't even sacred stones... It's confusing because I'm sure he's in one of the gba ones

EDIT: I'm starting to think he is in none of the gba ones and he only showed up in an unreleased to US game

Edit 2: Yeah the internet says Roy was only in a jp only snes game although he does exist in that fire emblem(gba) but he's only a kid and I don't believe he's playable or even a supporting character or anything.

Last edited:
I highly recommend playing Sacred Stones, Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn if you haven't.
PoR and RD can be emulated on Dolphin, while Sacred Stones can be emulated on Visual Boy Advance/Gameboid (if you have an Android phone)/whatever GBA emulator iOS has.

Roy is sacred stones if I recall I don't even think Roy exists in that one. Maybe it wasn't even sacred stones... It's confusing because I'm sure he's in one of the gba ones

EDIT: I'm starting to think he is in none of the gba ones and he only showed up in an unreleased to US game

Edit 2: Yeah the internet says Roy was only in a jp only snes game although he does exist in that fire emblem(gba) but he's only a kid and I don't believe he's playable or even a supporting character or anything.

wut

Roy was the protagonist Binding Blade, which was a GBA game. He does show up at the end of Blazing Sword (just Fire Emblem in the US), because that game's a prequel which stars Roy's father, Eliwood (it's also the game Lyn is from).

Sacred Stones was Ephraim's game and is the only FE that doesn't share its world with another game.

Roy was in fire emblem 6 (gba) and it was only released in Japan. Fire emblem 7 is the first fire emblem game released in the US which is the one beatninja posted.

I played 6. I'm not a fan of the game or Roy. I think he's really lame lol

wut

Roy was the protagonist Binding Blade, which was a GBA game. He does show up at the end of Blazing Sword (just Fire Emblem in the US), because that game's a prequel which stars Roy's father, Eliwood (it's also the game Lyn is from).

Sacred Stones was Ephraim's game and is the only FE that doesn't share its world with another game.

but doesn't that still make me right he's still not in any US fire emblem (unless you count awakening and I don't)

edit: great explanation though

Technically he's not playable in any US Fire Emblem that isn't Awakening and doesn't count. He only appears as a little kid in the ending of Blazing Sword.

Also
I highly recommend playing Sacred Stones, Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn if you haven't.
PoR and RD can be emulated on Dolphin, while Sacred Stones can be emulated on Visual Boy Advance/Gameboid (if you have an Android phone)/whatever GBA emulator iOS has.

I recommend Sacred Stones and Radiant Dawn, but not as an introduction to the franchise.

Sacred Stones introduces the ability to revisit maps and grind. Usually Fire Emblem games proceed on a linear path of stages with with no room to grind or revisit anything. ever. This means the games have a really fast pace with no filler, force you to genuinely use strategy rather then brute force, and also ensure that each playthrough requires a potentially different strategy since your units will likely have different exp and level distributions each time (either by choice of emphasizing certain units or to a less influential extent by chance in who gets what kills). The addition of grinding cramps the pacing and strategy emphasis and is not a good one IMO, even though the game is aces otherwise.

Radiant Dawn is excellent, but the introduction of being able to save in the middle of missions (and the increase in difficulty which encourages you to make use of it) very much changes up the game for me (and not in a way I like). I much prefer the absurd tension of these huge marathon missions where a single poorly thought out choice will have you restarting from the beginning. Radiant Dawn's save scumming is more likely to have you grinding the same 5 minutes over and over trying to salvage a perfect victory. Makes for a less "edge of your seat excitement" kind of experience.

They are both excellent games, but you don't get a taste of some of the franchise's best aspects from them.

Personally I still recommend Blazing Sword as the best intro to the series. Story and gameplay are both aces.

Sacred Stones was Eirika's game and is the only FE that doesn't share its world with another game.

Fixed, heheh.

Last edited:
Can't you just do a quick google search? The answer is no though. But there is a ds remake with marth.

I drew a Lon'qu!Noire cuz that's who my Morgan married and their support conversations were really cute bye
h9CBBIs.png

Reactions: BeatNinja
Lon'qu x Panne is best choice for Mr. Scared-Shitless-By-Girls.

That was one of my first pairings cuz they look so good together. I loved his supports with Cherche though, so that's my go-to pairing for him.

I also really like pairing him with Miriel because she's so deadpan and calm. They're polar opposites in the best way.

So, Fire Emblem If.

All we know about it so far is that it has no story connections to any past Fire Emblem, and its being headed by the same team as Awakening.

*edit*

Oh, one other thing. Apparently the story is going to be less linear in this one, with sharp story divergences based on player choices.

Last edited:
So it's SMT x FE minus the SMT.

Why yes I am salty, how did you guess.

IT HAS FEET.

I hope Criticals get actually cool animations this time around. Sped up animations. I don't think I want baby making to return.

I don't think I want baby making to return.

Severely doubt having children will return, since they'd have to use time travel as a plot device again (doubt they'd wanna do two games with that). Unless its a multi-generation type story like that one JP title, but I doubt that too. Branching storyline probably gonna be the focus here I'd wager.

I wonder if this means we'll get another Avatar type character in this one, or if we'll just have to make some choices for our Lords.

So it's SMT x FE minus the SMT.

Why yes I am salty, how did you guess.

Keep hope alive man, keep hope alive.

I was never the hugest fan of Awakening (Not to say it's bad, because it's not, there were just a few things that irked me super hard), but the engine in it was more or less solid. I just hope they either drop or expand upon the world map system, and maybe refresh their writers on how to write good characters and we'll be golden. Call me casually optimistic about FE:IF.

if there's a branching story then i imagine that the world map might even be dropped in favor of just linear story progression

I was never the hugest fan of Awakening (Not to say it's bad, because it's not, there were just a few things that irked me super hard), but the engine in it was more or less solid. I just hope they either drop or expand upon the world map system, and maybe refresh their writers on how to write good characters and we'll be golden. Call me casually optimistic about FE:IF.

Only thing I didn't like about Awakening was being able to grind on the world map (more of a fan of the linear mission progression myself), but it was handled much more gracefully than in Sacred Stones which basically encouraged you to do it endlessly. Personally I found the characters and script to be really endearing as well, and was pretty much the main thing that kept me going with the game (as with every FE). Check me for hyped.

I hope that enemies (and maby spotpass enemies if they return) will also learn to pair up. It was soo hax using that technique.
I mean, have Chrom pair up with Sumia and they barely got touched at all.

Reactions: Squire Grooktook
Personally I found the characters and script to be really endearing as well, and was pretty much the main thing that kept me going with the game (as with every FE).

My biggest issue with FE:A's (Support) dialogue was how little it accomplished. To explain this point, I'm gonna explore a bit of the way that FE:A does it's characters and why I feel it's underwhelming because of it.
Most characters in Awakening can be nearly universally defined for all dialogue that they have by three or four traits. For this example, we'll look at three characters in the game: Gaius, Miriel and Sumia (Sticking to earlier game characters to avoid spoilers for people who haven't beaten Awakening)

Gaius:
- Is a thief.
- Loves candy.
- Deft of hand.

Miriel:
- Smart.
- Thinks analytically.
- Speaks without emotion.

Sumia:
- Clumsy.
- Loves Chrom.
- Good with animals.

With three points per character, I have defined nearly every line that they have in the game, including critical hit quotes and pre-fight DLC dialogue. While this is only three examples, nearly all characters in the game can be completely explained in one sentence, if even that. With this, supports become less two people interacting and more personality traits clashing with each-other; less of a character piece and more of a sitcom, which is fine if you like sitcoms, but I'm not very appreciative of them in my Fire Emblem games.
Because of the nature of these supports, very rarely do any of these characters actually arc. When a support conversation is finished, vary rarely do we gain any sort of real knowledge about the character's, well, character. Outside of occasional back story, when a character reaches A, or even S, support, they are nearly identical to how they were at C-rank, besides having an opinion on another character. By the time I beat the game, I never really felt any of the characters had grown, even when I finished up all of their supports. Gaius was the same in chapter Six as he was in Endgame, and that was something that I felt very disappointed by when I first beat the game.

Hmmmm, well I must admit I'm a bit biased on this subject as I rarely managed to get many S or A supports for many units in past games, so I tend to evaluate the games mostly based on the main characters and plot (pretty much every game in the franchise is great in that regard anyway IMO). My end game usually ends up with like 4-5 ridiculously overpowered units who carry everything while everyone else basically stands around trying not to get killed. So I usually don't get to sample too many maxed supports given that playstyle (actually I'm pretty surprised I didn't max out Lucius x Raven since they basically did everything in Blazing Sword for me, might've been because Lucius was always using Oswald as a meatshield). So I cannot directly argue with the above. Might give a more enlightened opinion after more play time though.

OMG, this was the animation from the GBA games? Damn, why weren't these games on the gaming store shelves in my country now again?

animation on the gba titles is amazing.

in ds they used pre-rendered images to do it, what kinda made it feel bland and weak

On a side note, OGMA KICKS ASS!