• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Fire Emblem

i just want a nice cel-shaded console fire emblem

git out

Cel shaded Fire Emblem would be nice, but I am unabashedly biased for cel shading so I should probably be ignored.

SMT X FE is an interesting idea but I'm starting to think I wouldn't mind if it were cancelled. Can't imagine the story any good considering how radically different they are in tone. Would probably just end up being a fanservice thing like Persona Q.

I dunno, Radiant Dawn probably wouldn't look so out of place as an SMT game

it's got the whole "god is evil" thing already

I am IN LOVE with the Fire Emblem series. I've played every game bar that weird "BS Akaneia Saga" thing, and beat FE13's Lunatic+ mode twice (Nosferatank Tharja!Morgan = GOD). I'm SUPER hype for If, and I'm praying desperately that we may see a release this year.
But still haven't yet played HHM in FE7 ._.

So anyone here play FE3-5? What did you think of those? To this day FE4 remains my all-time favorite FE (followed closely by FE9). It's story and gameplay were not only perfect, but revolutionary for the series, and I'd say it's probably the most mature of the games in tone.

FE5 though can go die, ridiculously unbalanced pile of crap. I have no idea why people fawn over that game so much, it's awful.

Reactions: Squire Grooktook
FE5 though can go die, ridiculously unbalanced pile of crap. I have no idea why people fawn over that game so much, it's awful.

You get hit by enemies for an Infinite amount of damage while you're doing 1 damage to them.
Pretty much sums up FE 5 for me.

For the Record, I have done FE13's Lunatic Mode five times, and is currently doing my fifth and last run.
No, I won't show the gameplay because it's kinda frustrating watching me rage at the game rather than playing it correctly.

Can we talk about how much of a badass donnel is.

Yes, brainwashing people into having incest with their half-sibling is mature in tone.

I enjoy FE4 but let's be real here.

Yeah, I love FE4 but sadly I can never see it coming to the US without it being obliterated by censors. These are people who censored a bikini shot in paid DLC for a T-Rated game, there's NO WAY they're letting child sacrifices and brother-sister incest get a pass. Still doesn't make the game any less amazing though.

Can we talk about how much of a badass donnel is.
Anyone who can kill an armed soldier with lumber while protected by nothing but a pot on their head is INSTA-badass in my book.

... People like Tharcia?
This is news to me. Everyone I've talked to about absolutely despises it.

isn't it the hardest entry in the series (in a bad way)
you'll always find people defending busted difficulty on the grounds of it being more "hardcore" or some poop

Yes, brainwashing people into having incest with their half-sibling is mature in tone.

It's execution that makes the difference between "dark and edgy!!!" and "maturity". Just for the record. You could make a statement like that about anything that isn't rainbows and sunshine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Senjin
Stuff about Awakening's meh support conversations

Definitely agree. While I enjoyed/was entertained by a lot of the support conversations in FE:A, they really didn't add much to the story, they were just kinda there. That, and sometimes they just didn't make any sense at all with the characters (mainly referring to Lucina x sibling and Morgan x Sibling stuff). Then again, Radiant Dawn is a thing, and I will forever be salty that they axed support convos entirely from that game T_T. One of the big reasons I'm not too interested in playing through that game again (that, and the fact that what felt like half the cast was completely worthless and unviable in the endgame......... well, maybe just ones I wanted to use >_>)

That being said, I think what FE:A lacked in supports it made up for both in main story and the children's 3 story DLC missions. I like that the main story never tried to take itself too seriously, but there are still moments like the battle after Her Highness' death that feel appropriately somber. The Future Past DLCs are just fantastic. Highly recommend getting and playing them if you haven't. The rest of the DLC is sort-of a take-it-or-leave-it grind fest (or more silly but not really enlightening support convos) though.

As far as "If's" story/characters are concerned, I've heard that they got a lead writer who's a big time manga/television/novel(?) writer in Japan. I guess this could be good or bad, but from what I've heard it seems to be promising at least. Not familiar with the guy's work, so I can't really say. I'm pretty hype for the game though, regardless. But I'm always hype for more Fire Emblem.

That being said, I think what FE:A lacked in supports it made up for both in main story and the children's 3 story DLC missions. I like that the main story never tried to take itself too seriously, but there are still moments like the battle after Her Highness' death that feel appropriately somber.

Completely agree. And I feel like this is something that people who complain about the writing in FE:A are missing. The game isn't trying to be as deeply serious or dramatic like some of the past games (not that FE was ever Game of Thrones or anything, but it's probably one of Nintendo's more serious franchises). The villains are hammier, the supports are goofier, it's not nearly as serious in tone even though the apocalypse is on the horizon. It's intentionally more light hearted and humor/fun/escapism oriented.

That might not be to everyone's taste, but it sets the game apart from previous entries, and once you approach the game from that angle than it becomes a lot more enjoyable IMO.

Supporting cast development could have been better, but I do agree the main story characters/core cast were excellent and more than made up for it.

Last edited:
You know, now that I think about it, Awakening did have some pretty interesting support stuff.

Like, I think the support between Gregor and Tharja, Gregor gets to talk to someone from his past (a close friend I think? Can't remember...) and winds up getting some nice closure in his life. Also, there's what I gathered to be Kjelle's implied gayness (with how often incest pops up in the series, you'd think this would be more of a thing...). I found Cordelia particularly interesting though, because of who she can't support. In a game where you can stick anyone with practically anyone else for no reason, Cordelia is the only character you have a reason to try and hook up with someone and you just can't.

Out of curiosity, do any of you know if any of the other Fire Emblems have unrequited love or gay characters? I know there's those two axeman that show up in various forms throughout the series, but I can't think of any recruitable characters that are like this (I feel like there has to be though, and I just can't remember or haven't played the game they're in). I guess it would be kinda cool (or maybe a little sad) if Awakening was the first to bring up these topics.

The unrequited love thing is a nod to Marth and Catria. Catria was in love with Marth but couldn't tell him because Sheeda(Shiida?) had already taken him. The developers of Awakening specifically said Cordelia's relationship to and inability to support with Chrom are a reference to that.

As far as I can remember, I don't think there's ever been a canonically gay character in FE, but the closest I can think of is Heather from FE10, who I'd heard is supposed to be a lesbian. Kinda makes sense when you read between the lines of her dialogue.

I haven't seen the support in question, but I was once told that the S support between Raven and Lucius in Blazing Sword makes it sound like they are in love. Anyone who's gotten it feel free to confirm/deconfirm this.

No one's even touched on just how shallow Awakening is, gameplay-wise. It has short stages with a whole 2 victory types, less class variety, environments mean bugger all unless it's desert, and stage hazards and special vehicles barely exist for 2 stages, 1 of which is DLC. Plus, most of hte DLC was crap, not inclding story DLC. Legacy Units in general, for DLC, were lifeless and waste of money. YOU COULDN'T EVEN USE DLC STAGE MUSIC IN GENERAL MAPS FOR GRINDING! D: So yeah, I've got issues with Awakening. Plenty of em'

As far as other FEs go, I haven't had a chance to play the japanese release of these. Anyone know a good translated emulated or such? I've wanted to try quite a few for awhile now, but I've beaten both Ike games and both GBA games, which I thought were all good, Radiant Dawn is so far my favorite, mostly due to childhood nostalgia XD

Not sure I agree with shorter stages. Most of my missions are like, 15-20+ minutes, which is long enough for me. Not sure I agree with the "less class variety" either, or the "less clarity" whatever that means. Special vehicles were extremely limited in the other 4 localized fe's as well. Ballistas always felt rare as hell.

Awakening's main issue gameplay wise to me was the ability to grind. It's not quite as bad as Sacred Stones, but still problematic at times IMO as it lets you get away with not using strategy at times (I prefer the linear approach where it's like "get good or die"). Pairing up units is also op as heck at times, which is another reason I'm hype for FE:If, since I'd like to see if they can refine it and make it into a perfect mechanic.

To be honest, most FE's are kinda sorta shallow, in that its not terribly hard to "break them so hard you will question life itself" if you know what you're doing. Awakening makes it slightly easier, but not by a big margin. The joy of the series to me (gameplay wise) is more the sense of tension in missions and the incredibly fast pace of progression compared to other rpg's.

Than again, I'm not sure how "deep" a single player strategy game really can be, unless you're going for some Nippon Icchi grind fest bullshit that isn't really depth. They only really need to be deep enough to challenge you on a moment to moment basis.

Radiant Dawn is so far my favorite,

I don't think we're going to be seeing eye to eye on this series ;)

But seriously that game removed almost everything I like about the series. Saving mid mission? Goodbye tension. No supports? Fuck this shit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Senjin
radiant dawn may not have been good but you can't deny that it has the sexiest designs in the series

radiant dawn may not have been good
I wouldn't call it bad or not good, I just personally don't like the direction they took it in.

It's like how I absolutely loathe playing Super Meat Boy but can still admit it's a good game.

Probably my #1 hope for If in terms of balance is that they fix or even just remove re-classing. It was a neat-ish idea, but the way it was done just murdered Awakening's already shaky balance, when you always get every character up to maxed stats.

I've never been a fan of super diversified units
it kinda removes what makes individual units special
like Nephenee probably wouldn't be anywhere near as memorable if you could make, like, Boyd or anyone else could do her job or something.

The unrequited love thing is a nod to Marth and Catria. Catria was in love with Marth but couldn't tell him because Sheeda(Shiida?) had already taken him. The developers of Awakening specifically said Cordelia's relationship to and inability to support with Chrom are a reference to that.

As far as I can remember, I don't think there's ever been a canonically gay character in FE, but the closest I can think of is Heather from FE10, who I'd heard is supposed to be a lesbian. Kinda makes sense when you read between the lines of her dialogue.
Ah, I had forgotten about both of them! Definitely didn't know Cordelia was supposed to be a direct reference to Catria... Though it makes perfect sense now that you mention it.

I haven't seen the support in question, but I was once told that the S support between Raven and Lucius in Blazing Sword makes it sound like they are in love. Anyone who's gotten it feel free to confirm/deconfirm this.
Had to double check, it does seem to be the case. Raven is essentially like "Lucius, you should stay home. I want someone to come home to but I don't want a bride 'cuz girls are annoying."

Raven is also the character who gets with his... cousin? Half-sister? *goes to check*
.... Nope. Guess they were just straight up brother and sister. Priscilla was disowned by her family, but that doesn't really change blood ties >_> I guess the developers just decided to give Raven all the atypical/weird love supports.

Probably my #1 hope for If in terms of balance is that they fix or even just remove re-classing. It was a neat-ish idea, but the way it was done just murdered Awakening's already shaky balance, when you always get every character up to maxed stats.
I second this. I thought Awakening did a much better job with re-classing than Shadow Dragon did, but it's not a mechanic I really like. Mainly because characters either wind up being better in classes that aren't theirs (meaning you switch them over and they lose most of their unique appearance), and/or one or two classes wind up being really good and so you just switch everyone over to those (Dark Flier and Sorcerer I'm looking at you).

Funny story about awaking I didn't play it until a couple of months ago. My friend kept pressuring me to buy it. I'm not the biggest fan of tactical games but I decided to buy it. After I bought it I told him "wow this is a lot better then I thought it was going to be."

Then I told him I married luicina and he gave me dirty looks.

Again, Radiant Dawn is mah favorite mostly due to Nostalgia :3

Awakening has some difficulty issues in my eyes. Instead of a progressive difficulty, it goes easy, normal, and then after those, which play basically the same and progress fine in terms of difficulty, it spikes wickedly by making the enemies near unkillable unless you're on casual mode (cause everyone will die constantly) and gives them equipment you won't see for a good while. Plus, grinding is near impossible due to only getting 1 exp outisde of stoy fights, so you end up just grinding Edward's legacy unit fight, which is easy as balls until you get level ups and are competent enough to not constantly die. It wasn't very fun or tense, just tedious really...

Awakening has some difficulty issues in my eyes. Instead of a progressive difficulty, it goes easy, normal, and then after those, which play basically the same and progress fine in terms of difficulty, it spikes wickedly by making the enemies near unkillable unless you're on casual mode (cause everyone will die constantly) and gives them equipment you won't see for a good while.

So the game goes from easy, to normal, to hard. Kind of like every decent game ever?

Ironically, I've actually heard the opposite complaint from min maxing stat freaks. With the early game being the only hard part till you learn to absolutely break the game a quarter of the way through and steamroll everything with a handful of super units (although they made the same complain about every FE).

Plus, grinding is near impossible due to only getting 1 exp outisde of stoy fights, so you end up just grinding Edward's legacy unit fight, which is easy as balls until you get level ups and are competent enough to not constantly die. It wasn't very fun or tense, just tedious really...

Why are you grinding? The game isn't that hard. You really shouldn't need to do more than one or two random encounters + side quests every now and than to stay evenly matched with enemies.

Have no idea what you're talking about with "1 exp". You get tons of exp from fighting Risen. I ruined a few story missions by fighting one too many of them before entering.

Then I told him I married luicina and he gave me dirty looks.

He should be dead to you...

Yeah Fire Emblem blows.
...Just like this guy is to me.

Last edited:
Whenever I play Lunatic mode, I get 1 exp from non-story missions. Maybe I just suck at FE, which is something I'd like to think isn't true, or maybe it's me not remembering what I'm talking about as I haven't picked the game up in many months...

And I mean the game goes from easy, to normal, and then the difficulty curve seems to spike on Lunatic and Lunatic+. Again, maybe I have no idea hwat I'm talking about...I haven't touched Awakening in forever, to busy slowly crawing through Radiant on Hardest...

Whenever I play Lunatic mode, I get 1 exp from non-story missions. Maybe I just suck at FE, which is something I'd like to think isn't true, or maybe it's me not remembering what I'm talking about as I haven't picked the game up in many months...

And I mean the game goes from easy, to normal, and then the difficulty curve seems to spike on Lunatic and Lunatic+. Again, maybe I have no idea hwat I'm talking about...I haven't touched Awakening in forever, to busy slowly crawing through Radiant on Hardest...

Oh you're playing on lunatic/lunatic+. Okay, I didn't bother with that. I'm told Lunatic is also easy (after the beginning) but again you have to break the game with min-maxing/reclassing/etc. I prefer just to blaze through on hard.

oh yeah, Hard is fine. Its a decent challenge that isn't too ridiculous.

On IF, I really hope it's not another avatar. I get a ton of people like Robin as their avatar, but he was only ever Robin to me, cause there weren't a ton of options for customization. I feel it was kind of a waste. If they expand it with more options, I'd also be fine.

I hope Pair up is nerfed, and the whole S rank=marriage is thrown out. I love great supports, but the whole deciding who married who really only worked in the context of future children. I still want good supports, but I always preferred the boosts you get from your support when they're within a certain distance from each other, instead of only really when paired up.

Another hting, I hope they either don't do legacy units, or they fix them. Legacy units had unique stat growths and skills normally not available to them, but they didn't have any supports, not even the DLC ones, and had no dialogue, again, not even DLC legacy units had any sort of support or real dialgogue. If they have legacy units as DLC again, I hope they're actually worth the price.

On IF, I really hope it's not another avatar. I get a ton of people like Robin as their avatar, but he was only ever Robin to me, cause there weren't a ton of options for customization.

That's actually what I liked about Robin. He/She is kinda a player avatar but kinda not. You can relate to him/her sometimes but at times has too much of a personality to represent you. I like that kind of interplay, where the character is half their own person with their own development and half a player representative. Mixes up some of the best aspects of the two types of game mc's.

On that note, it's been confirmed that IF does have a player avatar, this time called "Kamui". They say that their next step for the franchise is that your choices will greatly effect the progression of the story (not a linear point a to point b affair like previous titles), so there's that. Dunno what they plan for expanding customization though.

If you want real player avatar customization though (on top of great gameplay), play PSO2. That games cutomization is soooooo good. You can basically be anyone, even a cyborg zombie samurai in space.

Last edited:
While I love Awakening to death (seriously I've played it through almost 10 times) I have a lot of problems with the dialogue and characters. I'm not sure if this point has been made already in this thread but it really bothered me how many characters are similar. Oh look, a pegasus knight with a crush on the protagonist? Look at this other pegasus knight with a crush on the protagonist. Oh, look, a ladie's man? Look at this other ladie's man. It just gets grating at times, not to mention it's rare in the support conversations that you learn much about the characters unless you check out this one specific conversation between two unrelated characters.

And yeah, as it has been said, I really, really dislike how bland the characters are. You're lucky if you have two or three traits about you, and it'd be a miracle if they can actually be considered interesting. Since when is being in love with someone a character trait? I know I'm lingering on this, but this bothers me especially. Can we, just for once, get a love interest that is fleshed out? It's always the same thing. Characters who's only identity is being the love interest. Nia from Gurenn Lagann. Celica from BlazBlue. Seriously, the best character in this game is Gregor. Not because he is fleshed out, or has a wonderful backstory, but because he is Russian. Yes. Being Russian makes him the best character, because there is nothing else to the others. That is sad. A funny accent that gets laughs out of you is better then anything up for grabs here.

But, to be honest, I'd hate if they removed the support conversations. It's the same reason I'd be up for them repeating the time-travel plot they used in the first game so we'll have children in If. The conversations add a nice amount of replayablility. I've had quite a bit of fun to try and collect all the conversations in the game. We don't really learn much about the characters but it is amusing at times. I got a few little silly chuckles out of it.

Also, did it bother anyone else that they added marriage? I'm up for the idea but it made me kind of hate the fanbase, and is another reason I don't like to participate in the community for this game. Everyone seems to act like the only redeeming quality in this game is the fact that you can have a waifu or husubando. That really makes me aggravated. To be honest, the game probably wouldn't have done NEARLY as well over here if we couldn't get married. Again, while I'm up for it, it adds more to the game, I really dislike the way they put it in. That cutscene you get and all the pandering to the fangirls just felt out of place to me.

For some reason, though, I'm just not getting very hyped for If. While Awakening is my favorite game on the 3ds, the trailer just kind of ruined my expectations. All I'm excited for is the thing they said about choices in story mode. That, I liked.
Eh, I'll see. While Awakening is my favorite game on the 3ds, it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Seriously, the best characters in this game is the main trio. Because they are legitimately great.

Fixed that for you.

Although I agree about how some of the supporing character supports could have been better/deeper, not sure I'm getting how "all the characters are the same". The problem, if any, is that the characters are too strongly defined by traits that distinguish them on superficial levels.

Sumia and Cordelia are easily distinguishable. One is confident, experienced, and dutiful. The other is insecure, kind, and clumsy. Similarly I don't think there's any argument that Vaike, Miriel, or Panne are even remotely similar. The problem is that the supports aren't as well developed as previous games, not that characters aren't diverse or dissimilar enough.

Sumia and Cordelia are easily distinguishable. One is confident, experienced, and dutiful. The other is insecure, kind, and clumsy. Similarly I don't think there's any argument that Vaike, Miriel, or Panne are even remotely similar. The problem is that the supports aren't as well developed as previous games, not that characters aren't diverse or dissimilar enough.

They weren't saying that every character was the same, just that some characters are similar to others which makes them kinda redundant. A question of why is Inigo necessary when we have Virion? Or Cherche for Cordelia? That kinda thing.

I always kinda justified the lack of any true development in the supports since if a character underwent a radical change early in the game because the player put them with this other specific character, it wouldn't make sense for them to then have supports with other characters and be back to square one in their personality.
But then again Awakening is the only FE game I've played that had supports so I really don't know.