• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Fire Emblem

Before i start recruiting my babies, is it like awakening in that the higher level the parents are before completing the baby missions, the higher the starting stats of the babies will be?

Speaking of kids,
Holy shit,I wish the game actually told me I permanently lost Dwyer.I saw the post mission event and assumed he was okay because he was fucking up and at it,and EVEN SAID he was joining up with me.Even in casual mode in Awakening,you were clearly shown you lost a child forever in the recruitment mission!I was practically tricked into giving up another healer,it's horseshit I tell you.

That's good to know. But darn, I was hoping Mozu would give me a super child like donnel did.

I hooked Mozu up with Hayato because they're both precious and tiny, and figured their child would be the same.

How the fuck did I end up with Tharja there

Reactions: Lexeous
How exactly do you prevent his death? I still have him and I'm on chapter 22.
Wait... you can lose him??? I guess I lucked out because I got A support the chapter before that

Hey, so I've never posted in here, but I really need this question answered.

How to I get lesbians?

I know it's in Birthrite.

Hey, so I've never posted in here, but I really need this question answered.

How to I get lesbians?

I know it's in Birthrite.
It can only be done with Rhajat,Hayato's daughter.

When do I get the Hayato's lesbian?
I don't understand the question.If you're wondering when you get Rhajat,Hayato's daughter,then you have to romance him with a female.Then you do a recruitment mission to earn her.

ive never played a fire emblem game but all my friends are super into this one. What's it about/like? im curious why its so popular.

Yeah, I'm not too privy on the whole chillun thing. I skipped Awakening.

While we're on the subject, how do supports work? I don't see character affinities, so do those just not exist? How many supports can one character have?

Playing matchmaker with my weaboo army is mildly entertaining. I made Kaze and Rinka a couple.

EDIT: I really wish I could have more lesbians, though.

ive never played a fire emblem game but all my friends are super into this one. What's it about/like? im curious why its so popular.
Probably the increased ease into it. Plus, the two design choices.

I mean this is the first FE with both a heavy Japanese and European design influence.

And on the ease, less breakable weapons and phoenix mode.

how do supports work?

Sometimes you'll see hearts on two or more characters after a battle with an enemy. That's the indication that the relationship is being raised between two characters. Supports work on a point system and battling with 2 characters next to each other or paired up will raise their support points and eventually raise the support rank when you accumulate enough points. You can only have one S Rank and one A+ Rank per character (S being marriage candidate and A+ being best buds for life) once you've raised an S rank for one person it is locked for every other candidate and can only be raised to A.

Character Affinities (you're talking about the symbols anima/light/ice/whatever in eliwood's game right?) don't exist anymore as the only thing affinities did was give a bonus to hit and avoid to anyone that had the same affinity as your tactician.

Pretty sure the affinity affected your buffs with support characters.

Okay, so aside from having only one S and one A+, I can have as many supports as I want on a character? There is no limit?

Fire Emblem is a turn based strategy rpg series with an emphasis on tactics. It's not like Disagea or Final Final Fantasy Tactics where you have a bajillion customization options to grind all day. It's all about fast paced, streamlined tactical warfare where each unit you move on the battlefield counts. They're also generally pretty challenging.

It's also notable since all of your units have backstories and "support" conversations where you learn more about them and develop their character. It also has permanent death, so you want to keep everyone alive. There's a new "casual mode" that lets you turn this feature off in recent releases, though. I prefer "Classic Mode", since it's what the game was designed with in mind for maximum intensity.

Units level up with exp from fighting, but in the older games you couldn't grind because the game followed a linear campaign from mission to mission. This was super cool because not only did it make things faster paced and more skill based, but it also allowed you to have a different experience each playthrough depending on what units got exp. A few titles ditch this system and allow you to grind though.

This release is divided into two games. Birthright allows you to grind and customize your army to a greater extent. Conquest is modeled after the earlier games in the series which follow a linear progression of missions with no opportunity for grinding.

Basically Fire Emblem is my go to series for when I want some nail-bitingly tense tactical combat.

I backed out of Conquest because, despite preferring the gameplay style, the Nohr faction is just so hilariously unsympathetic that I feel like it would kill the atmosphere of the game and I'd end up face palming at the first ten cutscenes or so. It's like the game gives you no reason to think siding with them would be a remotely good idea, at least not when the choice comes. I'll do them second I guess with a different character.

Last edited:
Reactions: PaperBag_Sniper
you side with nohr to wipe out proto-japan and prevent anime from ever existing
corrin goes down as an interdimensional hero

Reactions: TechPowah
Pretty sure the affinity affected your buffs with support characters.

Okay, so aside from having only one S and one A+, I can have as many supports as I want on a character? There is no limit?
No limit on amount of supports, only just 1 S and 1 A+ per character.

This was added to Awakening and Fates from the limited 5 supports of previous FEs. Prepare to grind for hours and hours.

Fuck Paralogue 22.
And fuck Paralogue 16,too.

Fuck Paralogue 7.

The point is

the paralogues are hard.

I don't remember them being this hard in Awakening.

Just finished Birthright (I was procrastinating doing the final two chapters for a few days, finally got around to it).

Birthright is better than Conquest is some aspects, but I think Conquest is a more solid game overall. Conquest has better map design, is more strategic, and is overall much better in the gameplay department. The cast also interested me more, especially the royal family. The royal family in Birthright were all slightly bland except for Takumi, who I really liked. The retainers in Hoshido are also very forgettable, and unlike how I feel about Conquest, there are characters I genuinely dislike (Hinata, why).

The story is obviously better in Birthright. While Conquest has a more interesting dynamic going on, the story has lots of filler and you don't really have a clear cut path you're following. The majority of it is Garon telling you to do something, you do it in a way that saves as many lives as possible, Iago tries to get you in trouble with Garon, Garon gives you another mission, repeat.
Meanwhile, in Birthright, while the story isn't fantastic, it's still decent. The ending is much more satisfying as it ties into your main objective more, and there's much less filler.

I don't have high hopes for Revelation as it seems to be the worst of the three, but I'm hoping it at least has a decent story with a mix between the gameplay of Conquest and Birthright.

Really? Because everyone tells me that Revelation is the literal best and you can't miss it.
The opinions I've seen on the subreddit and in various other forums seem to be either negative or lukewarm. Lots of units are basically useless, the story feels a bit rushed and isn't as good as Birthright, and the map design varies in quality.

The story is obviously better in Birthright. While Conquest has a more interesting dynamic going on, the story has lots of filler and you don't really have a clear cut path you're following. The majority of it is Garon telling you to do something, you do .

Yeah, I changed my mind and decided to do Birthright first, because not only have I been told that most of Conquest consists of:

Garon: Go do bad thing
Kamui: But dat's bad
Garon: Just do it you lil shit
Kamui: I did it. I feel bad.

-but when I played, it starts to feel evident that this is how it's going to go even from the first 5 chapters. I was expecting Kamui would at least get some kind of line like "hmmm, maybe if I side with Nohr I can reform it from the inside and stop the war before it starts."*, but you never even get that. The choice is basically presented as "are you gonna be a spineless wimp and side with the evil empire (even though you're supposed to be REALLY mad at it right now) just because you miss your family?" It feel like it makes Kamui less sympathetic for taking it, and the game gives you no clear reason to believe this isn't a horrible idea.

I know I'm usually the gameplay + challenge centric person, but eh, felt like Nohr was going to annoy me too much based on all I heard. Will do it second. I'm sure it'll be okay once it starts, but I'm definitely seeing the Hoshido bias on the devs, for story at least. I will probably play Hoshido like I did Awakening and try for a low-level-ish clear.

The opinions I've seen on the subreddit and in various other forums seem to be either negative or lukewarm. Lots of units are basically useless, the story feels a bit rushed and isn't as good as Birthright, and the map design varies in quality.

I actually heard good things about the map design from a strategy buff though. Apparently it has a lot of neat unique environmental hazards like moving platforms and stuff. Sounds cool.

Also yeah I wouldn't trust what randoms on Reddit (or anyplace else on the internet for that matter) would say. They could be right but eh I've seen the internet misjudge or misinterpret (IMO) enough games by this point. I mean just last week the internet was full of "TREEHOUSE RUINED THE GAME, EVERY LINE OF DIALOGUE IS NOW HORRIBLE"...and the translation is mostly fine.

*I understand that's how it eventually ends up, but I would expect chapters 1-5 to at least set this up or give some evidence that this might be a valid solution to the problem. As is it just feels like Nohr is set up as the wrong choice and you're selling your soul on that faction. Maybe that was the intent?

Last edited:
At least I finally beat Paralogues 16 and 22.Seriously,the solution to those missions were so hard for me to see because I was too busy wondering how I can beat 30 units in only a few turns.

special recruitment chapters (usually containing children or that one hillbilly from the sticks that becomes the ross of the game.)
Apparently farming crops just makes you better than everyone else.

Reactions: Lexeous
So I'm on chapter 26 of Conquest on hard, and I gotta say there is no more difficulty.
Xander is invincible. I don't mean, "He takes like 1 damage." Physical units CANNOT hurt him. Magical units do about like 8-16 against him before Aegis, and I have a Talisman I haven't even used. Besides, I reclassed Corrin to a Ninja so his resistance is hilarious.

I just don't like what the game becomes later. It reminds me of Awakening on Lunatic being "Hide behind Frederick edition". I feel like the spike from Birthright was nothing compared to this.

I also hated the story, which, as most people have already pointed out, is a fetchquest.

I liked the characters of Birthright better, such as Azama, Setsuna, Saizo, Subaki, Hinoka (the bae), and others. I also found Shiro to be great, and I really liked Rhajat. It gave me a reason to use some children.

The only characters I really liked in Nohr were Niles, Odin, Lazlow, Arthur, and the family. I can't think of anybody else right now.

I ended up marrying Soleil because she's really really great, but eventually I've just ended up Xander spamming.

P.S. I also know how the game ends because Meow-Professor is a shitlord and I love her but she's ass.
I don't like it but I'll have to see how they present it.

Last edited:
To be fair, god-killing units are a common occurrence in the series. Even in 7, which is probably one of the best designed/balanced/executed, there's still several ways to turn certain characters into pure murder machines (though not immune to damage). Balance is hard I guess.

On Chapter 23 of Birthright myself. I feel like Elise might be the best written character. Her description of the Nohr royal family being torn apart is pretty sad, she just wants the best for both nations and for her family especially. Good character.

shocking news today as RPG video game has a bad story
we'll deliver more on the unprecedented development at 11

shocking news today as RPG video game has a bad story
we'll deliver more on the unprecedented development at 11

It's a solid story so far, honestly. Not fantastic but surprisingly I'm enjoying it. I'm fully expecting it to fuck up as it goes like Awakening, but for now it's charming IMO.

It's no Trails In The Sky though. But then again, nothing is.

Go play Trails In The Sky (everyone).

It's not like the story in Birthright was bad (By my shitty standards). I actually LIKED it. It felt like there was at least a purpose to going on and continuing the fight. Not just Garon being the NPC Questgiver and you his shitty little sidekick.

The only sidekick I'll ever be for is Arthur.
Perfect sunovabitch.

Also, for those who have not yet reached chapter 14(I think? The wolfskin one.) in Hoshido,
D-Do you really need to be A rank with Kaze in order to have him survive? In my first playthrough, I didn't do it, and he died. He really needs to be A rank, or is it some other coincidence, because I A ranked playthrough 2 and he lived. If so, that's...kinda idiotic. Azura got widowed the first time, which was reallllly annoying.