• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Godzilla

Yes. But let’s not forget what music played underneath the footage. Many people seem to forget that Toho was as much involved with Emmerich’s Godzilla as they are with the upcoming one.

But yeah, they call Emmerich’s nuclear iguana "Zilla", because the "God", the divine thing that made Godzilla special was missing. And I think the line from the new movie which calls Godzilla a God, not a monster, is a little nod to that.

That along with the line "Let them fight" seems like they are both speaking for the fans in a sort of way, which I do like as it's a bit tongue in cheek heh. But still, I have pretty good faith that this movie will be fun and entertaining to watch and at least as entertaining as the millennium series movies.

Oh, boy....My favorite Godzilla movie of all time has got to be Godzilla VS Megalon.

Massive spoilers incoming, but if you don't feel like watching the movie, this guy gives an excellent summary of it:

Edit:

My favorite fight scene is from Godzilla vs King Kong though:

If 'Murican Failzilla is simply called Zilla, then what's its infinitely more awesome kid from the 90s cartoon called?

Wait... does Godzilla still have his "fire Breath" ?

Wait... does Godzilla still have his "fire Breath" ?
Yep.
By the way it's official name is "Atomic Breath"
Just pointing that out.

Also, those were never Baragon's ears:
10155671_10152032103001583_3704863158197203556_n.jpg

Yep.
By the way it's official name is "Atomic Breath"
Just pointing that out.

Also, those were never Baragon's ears:
10155671_10152032103001583_3704863158197203556_n.jpg

Awww Baragon is playing hide and seek heh. Shame that he never really got much of any screen time and was cut from so many films he was originally planned to be in too. :/

If anyone still wonders if Godzillas trademark atomic breath will be in the 2014 movie and if it does, how it looks like, I have the answer for you. The guys who do the mobile game for the movie posted images of how Big G’s signature ability will look like in the game. If you’re asking yourself: "It’s just a mobile game, doesn’t mean it will look like that in the movie at all", this is what the developers of the game said:

“We’re happy to say we had special access to the Breath effect used in the actual movie..

If that’s true or not, we will soon find out. I post the pictures in spoiler-tags, if you don’t want so see it before watching the movie, don’t click on it.
10333099_235553949986745_1231748284_n.jpg
10173492_235553509986789_1982289185_n.jpg

Reactions: southpawper
Is this what Nido King/Nidorino was based off of?

Never officially confirmed, but Baragon is around longer and they do bear a strong resemblance.

Oh and by the way, Baragon also had a cameo in Dragon Ball:

Baragon_in_Dragon_Ball.jpg

Well I just watched the New Godzilla film..... Holy crap this film is frigging awesome, I feel like I have been missing it now due to this being my first Godzilla film and it was so amazing and so good, brilliant film.

I’m happy you liked the movie, now you have made your first step into a bigger world ;D

I’m going to the cinema tomorrow, I’m fucking ready:

Reactions: Cybermanworf
Hope you enjoy it as much as I and lots of other people did Detective Q.

Watched it at the 4:50 afternoon matinee, it was well worth the ticket price and I should have paid full price honestly. I may be a bit biased being a Godzilla fan and I know some more hardcore Godzilla fans might have issues with some things about this movie but if you keep in mind it's meant to be a more gritty, serious, and down to earth (as far as Godzilla movies go) film, then you will get exactly what you expect with it. I'm more than happy to report it's FAR more satisfying than the 98 film on so many levels and I loved it. I would put it like this, it's what the 98 movie SHOULD have been.

It was Awesome, and another Godzilla Kaiju DID sneak into the movie.

Mothra is named with the Kid's Caterpillar tank in the house in Japan. It's much more obvious when they return 15 Years later than in the 1999 segment.

Also, early in the movie you can see a 1954 Gojira movie poster, if you check all the walls.

Honestly...I seem to be the only one that was dissatisfied and underwhelmed. Godzilla was the best part of the movie...but everything else was just ugh...

The human characters, except bryan cranston's character, were all terrible and the actors playing them were awful. (Not even over the top likeable like in the japanese movies)

The muto, while cool at first, got boring really fast.

4/10, mediocre.

Still better than the 1998 movie but still...poor.

Well, not everyone is gonna be satisfied with it and I find it would be impossible to satisfy everyone anyway. Different folks want different things and expect different things from the movie. I went there to see a good Godzilla film and as far as past Godzilla films go and by comparison to them, I enjoyed it just fine. It wasn't over the top like Final Wars or any of the more hammy movies but it wasn't trying to be that. And while I can agree that Aaron Tailer Johnson's performance was stiff and lacked much punch, I'd argue that even at his best it wouldn't have compared to Cranston, that's a really tough act to follow honestly and having a lot of the movie on Johnson's character definitely didn't help him much with that.

As for the MUTO I kinda relate them to a monster like Orga from Godzilla 2000, he's not the most memorable and has more of a generic design than most of the kaiju Godzilla has fought before but I didn't think they were badly designed either, I'd explain it more as just generically designed or lacking many memorable features.

I'd rate this movie around an 8/10 for me. It's above average and I'm not an acting snob either really. I didn't think the acting was nearly as bad as some people are making it out to be and for the movie not trying to be over the top in any way and holding itself in a somewhat more down to earth manner it was perfectly fine all things considered. I didn't expect most of the other actors to hold a candle to Cranston and I was right to an extent but I don't hate the movie because of it either. The teasing is done just right for me also, it kept me interested, kept me wanting to ride it to see more and more and steadily you do until the climax happens and it's definitely worth it to me.

I'm not a movie critic or an acting buff, but for a Godzilla movie and as a Godzilla fan, I got what I expected and what I actually wanted to see in 98 until I was disappointed by it immensely. A 4/10 just seems overly dramatic for it's flaws it sounds like you're greatly over-exaggerating them, but as I said it's not gonna please everyone and for Godzilla fans that only like the cheese and nothing but fighting takes on Godzilla from the 70's to the early 90's then yeah you're probably gonna be disappointed since it doesn't focus on the fighting in a major way until later in around the last 3rd of the film. But for something trying to be more like the 1954 film I think it did just fine.

Last edited:
Now all we need is for Sunstone Games to get the license for Godzilla games back (They have a good chance), and to make a new Godzilla fighting game with new Godzilla, and the Mutos.

I deleted all my negative criticism on Godzilla. Seems pointless when everyone just tries to tell me otherwise.

I deleted all my negative criticism on Godzilla. Seems pointless when everyone just tries to tell me otherwise.

I didn't say your negative criticism is invalid, as a matter of fact I was saying that I felt it was fine, not everyone is gonna like the movie. o.O but okay if you want to delete your input then we can't stop you.

I didn't say your negative criticism is invalid, as a matter of fact I was saying that I felt it was fine, not everyone is gonna like the movie. o.O but okay if you want to delete your input then we can't stop you.

Sorry just everyone I've been posting my thoughts, everyone thinks I'm incredibly wrong.

Sorry just everyone I've been posting my thoughts, everyone thinks I'm incredibly wrong.

I didn't say you were outright wrong, your opinion is as valid as anyone else. I just feel like, to me, the acting wasn't as bad as it seemed to you. But that doesn't mean you're wrong or that I am right. The acting from most of the other characters definitely wasn't anywhere as good as Bryan Cranston but I wasn't expecting the others, besides Cranston to actually be that great. Not to mention my expectations weren't that high for the human side of the movie to begin with, seeing as that's usually an afterthought in most Godzilla movies. Doesn't really completely excuse bad acting I suppose but it makes it fine for me seeing as I'm usually more into the creatures and everything anyway so I'm already dis-interested in the human characters in most Godzilla films from the very start.

Cranston's performance didn't disappoint though and while I feel like he was under utilized and they left the movie with the weaker actor for the majority of it, it still had a good pace in spite of it and the teases really help keep the moving flowing along just fine. Though there's just as many people that will probably hate the movie for how much it teases, that's just up to personal preference though.

Now all we need is for Sunstone Games to get the license for Godzilla games back (They have a good chance), and to make a new Godzilla fighting game with new Godzilla, and the Mutos.
There's been a rumor going around saying that Pipeworks has join the CKC project, which means we might be seeing a Godzilla release sooner since they have the license to make a game now. But Simon Strange (The leader of the project) hasn't confirmed it.

But wasn't Sunstone already made of the old Pipeworks guys?
Yes, the team that made all the 3D Godzilla fighter are now their own company.
This rumor is more than likely true, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

But on a different note, here's all of Brandon's movie reviews on Godzilla movies:

EVO officially canceled
godzilla_las_vegas_lrg.jpg

Would have been worse if that had happened in the middle of EVO, especially in the middle of a Grand Finals on the Main Stage.

So, I watched it. I was in the cinema just a few hours ago.

And I can’t… I can’t even…

mind-blown.gif

Sorry guys, I’m still a little bit dazzled. I couldn’t speak a word until I left the cinema; my friend who was with me thought I would explode out of anger.

But I didn’t. Why? Because I absolutely and truly love this film. It’s everything, everything I wanted from it and so much more. It’s huge. It’s awesome. It’s beautiful. It’s Godzilla. The King of the Monsters has returned, and he couldn’t have done so any better than this.

I love this movie so much. I can’t say much else about it since I’m still arranging my thoughts. I’m still processing the experience.

But I know this: If you’re into Godzilla or giant monsters just a little bit, if you aren’t turned off by the fact that it’s a huge dinosaur walking around spitting atomic rays, watch this movie. Watch it in 3D, on the biggest screen you can find. It’s so… magnificent.

But I know some people don’t like it, and I think I know why. But me? As someone who watched all 28 movies so far, as someone who has 18 off them on his shelf, who buys figures and stuff, I fucking love this movie. Again, I keep repeating it, but that’s because it’s true. Never has a movie that I was so hyped about succeeded in outperforming my expectations. Never before.

And since someone already deleted his post because he didn’t liked it: Don’t do it. If you don’t liked the movie, say it and don’t delete your posts. You can say whatever you want. Yes, people will try to convince you to their sight of things, but that shouldn’t keep you from stating your point of view. As I said, I think I know why people don’t like it, and you’re right about that. A lot of people will hate the movie for doing this. But I don’t. I love, again, love it.

Sorry people, I think you can’t get a review or something like that out of me, not for some time. But if you have questions or want to know something, just ask :)

So, I watched it. I was in the cinema just a few hours ago.

And I can’t… I can’t even…

Sorry guys, I’m still a little bit dazzled. I couldn’t speak a word until I left the cinema; my friend who was with me thought I would explode out of anger.

But I didn’t. Why? Because I absolutely and truly love this film. It’s everything, everything I wanted from it and so much more. It’s huge. It’s awesome. It’s beautiful. It’s Godzilla. The King of the Monsters has returned, and he couldn’t have done so any better than this.

I love this movie so much. I can’t say much else about it since I’m still arranging my thoughts. I’m still processing the experience.

But I know this: If you’re into Godzilla or giant monsters just a little bit, if you aren’t turned off by the fact that it’s a huge dinosaur walking around spitting atomic rays, watch this movie. Watch it in 3D, on the biggest screen you can find. It’s so… magnificent.

But I know some people don’t like it, and I think I know why. But me? As someone who watched all 28 movies so far, as someone who has 18 off them on his shelf, who buys figures and stuff, I fucking love this movie. Again, I keep repeating it, but that’s because it’s true. Never has a movie that I was so hyped about succeeded in outperforming my expectations. Never before.

And since someone already deleted his post because he didn’t liked it: Don’t do it. If you don’t liked the movie, say it and don’t delete your posts. You can say whatever you want. Yes, people will try to convince you to their sight of things, but that shouldn’t keep you from stating your point of view. As I said, I think I know why people don’t like it, and you’re right about that. A lot of people will hate the movie for doing this. But I don’t. I love, again, love it.

Sorry people, I think you can’t get a review or something like that out of me, not for some time. But if you have questions or want to know something, just ask :)

So what did you think of the fake out when Godzilla looked like he was going to break the female MUTO's jaw apart and then atomic breathed that bitch down her throat and blew her head off of her body?

Last edited:
Reactions: No longer exist
So what did you think of the fake out when Godzilla looked like he was going to break the female MUTO's jaw apart and then atomic breathed that bitch down her throat and blew her head off of her body?

That part actually made a lot of the movie really good for me.

To be honest, I didn't like the movie as much as I thought I would... Maybe because it's the first Godzilla movie I've seen, but it just felt disappointing.
I actually like the movie, but I think I'd like it more if it didn't focus as much as it did on the characters. I actually wouldn't mind it as much if the characters are actually likable. And the movie felt like too much of a tease! Like that part in Hawaii, you think you'd see him fight, but then it cuts to the MC's wife.

They probably want you to care about these characters, but I just find them bland. Half-way through I was starting to fall asleep, I couldn't bring myself to care about the other characters even if I tried.

In the end I'd give it a 5/10 or a 6/10. It's a good movie and I'd rate it higher if the majority of the movie wasn't just a big build-up. Build-up is good, but here it builds up too much for too little. If you watch this movie expecting a lot of fight scenes this movie isn't for you. I'd recommend Pacific Rim instead if you just want giant things bashing each other without having to watch what seems like a mediocre t.v. drama before actually seeing the monsters fight.

Reactions: Detective Q
To be honest, I didn't like the movie as much as I thought I would... Maybe because it's the first Godzilla movie I've seen, but it just felt disappointing.
Watch the original. (1954 Japanese not 1998 American)
It will blow you away.

Dude. That. Was. Amazing. Nobody saw that one coming. Nobody. I was like: "Yeah okay, little King Kong tribute here, Godzilla’s gonna break her jaw and then blast her once she lies on the ground". But then? Boom! Suddenly the whole theater is covered in blue and Godzilla’s blasting the shit out of Mama Muto. Nobody in the history of Godzilla adversary’s got it ever that bad. Biollante and Orga got blasted from within while trying to swallow Godzilla whole, but that was rather passive from Godzilla since they tried to eat him and he just used the opportunity to surprise them. Gigan got his head blown of, twice, but all of that can’t step up to this kill.

I loved it. After the scene where his spines light up starting with the tail upwards, that was my favorite moment in the movie. And how Godzilla holds her severed head and roars afterwards? That’s fucking brutal.

The kill on the flying Muto was cool too, although that one I saw coming.

And another thing: I know why a lot of people don’t like the movie: It cuts away when it seems to get intense, twice. Once when Godzilla is first shown and roars into the camera, a second time when the wife is fleeing and the doors of the bunker close before the action. That’s why a lot of people are angry, they feel cheated because they came for the monsters and the got trolled two times.

And usually, I hate shit like that. I want to see the monsters and I get mad when they get blacked out. That was another reason my friend thought I would be super pissed after I left the cinema, but I wasn’t.

I loved that, I don’t know exactly why. It was done merciless and cold, it kept the heavy atmosphere up. And it wasn’t like you couldn’t see the monsters until the end; you did see them; only the fighting wasn’t shown completely. But I could see the destruction afterwards and some scenes of the fight in the news, I knew what happened; I didn’t really need to see it whole. Why? Because, let’s face it: Godzilla is no martial artist. He has some moves; he can bite, use his claws, swing his tail, stomp on things and of course blast them with his atomic breath. But you run out of creative things for him to do real quickly. That’s why a lot of the Japanese movies have ultra-cheesy moments, like when Godzilla does a flying kick or other stupid things like that.

That’s why I love what they did with saving up the real fight for the end where Godzilla goes all out.

Again, like James Rolfe, I can’t really say how I feel; I only know it’s strange because it isn’t typical for me. I should hate this movie for him doing what he did, but I don’t. I think that’s why I love the movie so much, because it did things that I absolutely hate about monster movies, but it did it right.

I'll watch it tomorrow, the only Godzilla movie ive seen is that american 1998 one which i heard was a flop when it comes to godzilla movies, So i hope to be entretained with this one.

I still own my godzilla 98 toy, still has enough batery to roar too!

I'll watch it tomorrow, the only Godzilla movie ive seen is that american 1998 one which i heard was a flop when it comes to godzilla movies, So i hope to be entretained with this one.

I still own my godzilla 98 toy, still has enough batery to roar too!

I hope you will be blown away like I was, and I hope that than we have another one who will check out the Japanese ones out of interest :D

And I remember that toy; my uncle still has it on his desk. I wanted one too when I was little, but never found one in stores. I for my part now wait for NECA’s 24" Godzilla figure that’s coming out in July, boy am I hyped for this thing after watching the movie :D

Godzilla was a really nice movie, I loved it alot. However there were some parts I really didnt like:

One being the transitions. It was really fucking lame. Like with the Hawaii part, Godzilla is finally revealed, and ass is about to be whooped. Daddy Muto turns to face him and roars, the camera slowly moves up Godzilla, he roars, annnnnnnnnnnd..... the only bit of action you get from them was the 2 second footage on the television in the next scene. Lame. I wouldnt mind this if it only happened once, but this happened constantly and it really pissed me off.

It reached into my 8 year old self alot. "Who gives a damn about people talking just show us monsters getting wrecked"

Two was the fact that Godzilla really didnt seem like the main focus of the film. It seemed like the Mutos were the main focus. I dont mind this since they're introducing new interesting characters and all, but come on. You only get to see Godzilla briefly in those tease scenes as stated above, and the ending.

So when the sequel does come around, they need to fix two things: remove the BS teasing scenes, and show us more Godzilla. Then it'll be perfect.

Here's another spoiler tag about other things

The Mutos were really interesting monsters, designwise and characterwise. Granted, I did spoil myself on slight details on them, but there was still a lot of surprises with the film. I didnt expect Momma Muto to be that big. Like goddamn who wouldnt look at this thing and think "hey this is the final boss". The nuzzle scene was really cute. I just thought they had a lot of cute and heartmelting scenes in the movie. Like the end where the nest goes kaboom, both of them stop attacking Godzilla to go check on the babies. The roar Momma Muto gave was just so sad.

And of course, they got fucking destroyed. It was amazing.

Godzilla was also really interesting. They stayed true to the original, but had their own touches in there. I really liked how he wasnt a 'pure hero' in the sense of him just whooping monster ass like the original films. He whoops monster ass, and he does whatever it takes. That's a nice catchphrase from the movie, right? Yes, Godzilla killed maybe millions of people. He didnt mean to kill them, they were just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Also the fact that he's a giant lizard. He cant prevent killing and destroying buildings 100%.

In short he's just a big cuddly guardian.

The movie was really dark. Dark in both ways. People DIED in this movie, and thats one thing I like about the film. This movie is down to earth serious, its not like old films where only buildings are being destroyed by monsters, in this movie, people are shown getting squished by either Mutos or Godzilla, buildings are ripped apart, people in the subway train-thing fall out and get killed by Daddy Muto, the bridge was broken in two, people are dying. It just shows what kind of shit would go down if giant monsters were roaming around cities, and it showed it pretty damn well.

Cranston's character also deserves a shoutout as well, a pretty damn good role, but a shame the character was killed off. As Brand stated before, the other characters were very....lackluster compared to him.

GODZILLA'S ATOMIC BREATH DESERVES ITS OWN DISCUSSION SO HERE IT IS:
I fucking loved it. I loved the way it was revealed, the way it looked, the way the blue light traveled from his tail to his head, and the way he wrecked Momma Muto. So brutal. I also think the reveal was also symbolic in a way. A hope spot. Godzilla's Eleventh Hour Superpower. A blue shine of hope, hope that Godzilla can come on top and defeat the two monsters. And of course, once that breath came out, Godzilla started climbing up to the top, and brought them down.

I am really interested on how the sequel will go.

I know we all secretly want it, Mothra reboot in the same universe. give her a Native American background, it'd be awesome. it'd be sick.

and space, I just thought I'd let you know
lots of Godzilla movies will focus on the humans more than the monsters. Godzilla is never gonna talk (again) so we need SOMETHING to give us plot. the human aspect will always be there because it NEEDS to be there. and I don't think the cutaways from the action were a bad thing. I'm mainly getting my opinion from here:
and he basically says it's less that they focused less on Godzilla and more on restraining themselves from basically "Michael Bay-ing" it. I felt it made the total action we got MORE meaningful when we got them in long bursts, because of how we kept getting short bursts. I kinda liked being teased even after we got what we wanted, then when we got MORE of what we wanted we we're even happier!

I will agree that the next movie might fix this by giving us more Godzilla scenes, mainly because we've shown how Godzilla and humanity can be coexistent.

anyway, the movie was fucking sick.

God bless you Bus Driver!

seriously, I want Mothra. and she better be MAGIC dammit! I don't want radioactive nature powers! I want legit, bullshit explained, magic!

EDIT:

also, I think for everyone complaining about how the human characters take up so much of the movie, Matt of the Best Friends Zaibatsu says it best:

"Welcome to Godzilla folks!"

Last edited:
Reactions: Solblade44