• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Guilty Gear Thread

There's a netplay patch for the japanese version of #R. I'm not sure how to get either the japanese version of #R or the patch, so this is just hearsay.

9e31ecafc9.jpg

Reactions: Rakurin
Xrds online confirmed atrocious. Sigh.

Xrds online confirmed atrocious. Sigh.

Is PSN back up everywhere?

vOi9LBE.png

But for things that aren't palettes and actually about playing, does anyone have any good resources for learning about GG X2 #R? It's different from the other fighting games I've played so I'm kinda confused... Or anyone that plays Sol that I could spar with for a sorta trial by fire?

Something I noticed about the Xrd dub is that Sol sounds noticeably better as Fred. It really makes me think the direction is the main cause of all the english voice weirdness.

Sol BadKy
Reminds me of how much fun I had making alt.colors in PC #R.

But for things that aren't palettes and actually about playing, does anyone have any good resources for learning about GG X2 #R? It's different from the other fighting games I've played so I'm kinda confused... Or anyone that plays Sol that I could spar with for a sorta trial by fire?
Dustloop used to be a great resource for Reload info, but they kinda shunted most of that info out when Accent Core came out. Might want to go hunting for that stuff if you're bent on learning Reload.

y'know, i was kind of expecting them to create new models as special outfits for the game in xrd, so you could have the best of 2d and 3d worlds

What's the deal with all the xrd hate (and p4u by extension)? I hear a lot of people complain about it but I haven't heard a detailed popoff yet.

ShinATproof ranted about it a couple pages back but I'm too lazy to find the exact post.

What's the deal with all the xrd hate (and p4u by extension)? I hear a lot of people complain about it but I haven't heard a detailed popoff yet.
Ishiwatari decided to start fresh with Xrd, basing it off of the last GG he helmed (#Reload, the first revision of XX) and only including characters that would fit a specific niche in gameplay. Which means:

• Half the roster's gone. No Dizzy, no Johnny, no Baiken or Anji, no Testament, no Robo-Ky, no ABA or Order Sol, no Bridget or Zappa... you get the point.
  • Everything including and past Slash was ignored gameplay-wise. So it's slower, which seems to throw off people who come into it from Accent Core.
Other than that, the only real gameplay complaints I've seen were regarding Danger Time, due to its activation being random and competitive players hating anything with a hint of luck required.

Ultimax, though, I've not heard much complaining about (at least, not more than the typical "top tiers are too good and bottom tiers are too crappy" stuff).

Specifically I don't know.

There are some questionable design choices/implications of choices in Xrd.

Things like danger time and YRC anti burst OS etc are pretty bad. Zato is as ridiculous as he has ever been, maybe not #R level crazy but really, really good and doing unblockable > unblockable isn't even that hard if you have 50% meter.

All things said though, I'm enjoying Xrd perfectly well. It made my character much easier to play executionally and while I don't agree with all of her nerfs, I-No is still really fun to play and is certainly the still character she has always been.

There are other things, such as hitstop being MUCH longer than previous GG games, but that is all up to opinion. Personally I like the hitstop, it isn't as long as the older BB games which was just absurd and it allows me to actually hitconfirm off 2 hits in Xrd, which is something I can't reliably do in many games. It makes me feel like my reaction time is at least a little less of a burden when I can do some of the things others with better reaction times can.

Another thing might be that a lot of the execution stuff is WAY different, trying to play the same character in Xrd and AC+R is nearly impossible, I almost feel like I can't play +R I-No anymore because of how I've grown to get used to Xrd I-No.

Reactions: Spencer
Now that I think about it, were there ever any GG games that weren't broken in some way?

Or to put it another way, what's considered the "best" version of the XX games? (note the quotation marks because I have no idea if there's even a consensus on this.)

A lot of people prefer either #R or AC+, I haven't played slash but it is supposedly not as balanced.

+R is not liked by a lot of AC veterans.

No game is really good on its first edition, usually you need revisions, unless sheer luck happens.

No game is really good on its first edition, usually you need revisions, unless sheer luck happens.

At the very least no game is balanced in it's first go. I really like Xrd at the level I've been playing it, it's just so much more accessible than xx, YRC's are so much fun!

Ishiwatari decided to start fresh with Xrd, basing it off of the last GG he helmed (#Reload, the first revision of XX) and only including characters that would fit a specific niche in gameplay. Which means:

• Half the roster's gone. No Dizzy, no Johnny, no Baiken or Anji, no Testament, no Robo-Ky, no ABA or Order Sol, no Bridget or Zappa... you get the point.
I don't think the size of the roster is really a valid complaint, nor do I think Ishiwatari limited the size of the roster to "enhance" gameplay. I'm pretty sure the roster is the size it is due to budget and time constraints and the addition of Dizzy, Johnny, Baiken etc, would really mean that another character would be removed. Roster size is seen as a major selling point for fighting games so I'd be surprised if the developers actively decided to limit it if they had the means to make it larger. Is there an interview that states that he wanted to keep the roster small as a means of starting fresh?

It sucks that some of our favorite characters are gone, heck MY favorite character is gone, but can we really use that as a complaint when they're using all new 3D assets?

Reactions: dead
It's not like they had to build a new engine from the ground up or anything

Reactions: FenrirHades
It's not like they had to build a new engine from the ground up or anything
they didn't, but they had to model every character in a way that made them look good on a 2D plane.

i was being sarcastic

they may not have BUILT the Unreal engine (obviously) but they definitely had to do a ton of work to get it to look and run as well as it does. Like, of COURSE they couldn't include every character from the XX series, they're building everything from scratch now, no sprites to reuse

From the perspective of a fighting game player new to GG, Xrd looks pretty awesome. I haven't played it and (most likely) won't be able to any time soon, but the games gorgeous and seems fun?

I know it probably can't touch the old ones, which look great as well, but I don't know.

I would honestly like to know Mike's reasons for hating Xrd so much.

Certainly doesn't feel like a 3s > SF4 scenario or anything like that. The game still mostly plays the same, just has a couple dumb things that have non-insignificant implications on gameplay. Doesn't feel anything like SF4 crouch tech/unblockable level dumb at this point in time though.

Reactions: dead
He already said his reasons earlier in the thread, iirc
i could be wrong, but I think someone bugged him about it, at the least

He's said it a buncha times to the point where he compliments it on the small things they do right.

EDIT:
tumblr_nhcrgpFGGD1tert8xo1_r1_400.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Ktulu
I would honestly like to know Mike's reasons for hating Xrd so much.
It came out after 1999

e: I was curious so I went through the entire 65 page thread, and no, he never does say why he doesn't like it (other than "Eddie's too good").

Last edited:
(other than "Eddie's too good").

>Implying eddie has ever not been too good

>Implying eddie has ever not been too good
Wasn't he mid-tier in Slash?
A lot of people prefer either #R or AC+, I haven't played slash but it is supposedly not as balanced. +R is not liked by a lot of AC veterans.
While +R is the newest version, I wasn't going to assume the last version of any game series is automatically the best because of newness alone.

I think it's that way with SFAlpha (2 is preferred over 3)?

I found Mike Z's reasons on Dustloop or at least his E3 impressions.

My E3 Xrd impressions: (feel free to ask questions and whenever I come back next I'll look)

- I'll say this on the positive side: the game is absolutely BEAUTIFUL. Like holy-crap-is-this-real beautiful. There are some rough edges, but in matches you don't notice at all.

- It certainly does feel slower than AC+R, noticeably slower. Likely this is due to longer hitstop? since the individual actions themselves didn't feel slower. I had to slow down my button press timing for Potemkin P->K->S->2D, for example.

- YRCs are the least Guilty-Gear-ish thing you could add to a Guilty Gear. They singlehandedly took the game from making good reads and knowing their character well in order to win to "just throw stuff out" and "oh oops, YRC" which is incredibly un-fun. Not to mention the burst-safe OS junk. Even in the Versus games you can't cancel to NEUTRAL on whiff, only to riskier attacks.

- Watching cinematics each time you do a super got old pretty quick, and the camera cuts on Dusts and on the KO hit are very jarring while playing. At least to me.

- The lack of force breaks and newer moves that had unique utility makes characters feel...flat. I'll admit to not really being excited for them when they were added originally, but going back to not having them after this long, when the newer added moves don't cover the same holes in characters' movesets, feels stale. [edit] Because Force Breaks cost meter they were able to have properties or strengths that you just can't give to a meterless special attack.

My takeaway:

I have absolutely no desire to play this game. Zero. I came away with the same impression I got from MvC3 - "Well, that's enough of that game." And I don't mean because Pot is awful*, I've played Pot since the beginning regardless so I can lose 25 in a row no sweat. :^P

It just...doesn't feel like a Guilty Gear to me. (More like a GG fan game? I guess that's pretty harsh.) It's a huge regression for the series, like the creators didn't play anything after #r. Whether or not #r is where GG started from, for the last eight years "Guilty Gear" has meant AC, and on the whole I think the series made a lot of positive strides. Things like choosing between damage or knockdown kinda don't seem to exist in Xrd, you get both. The addition of the random element in Danger Time, Hell Fire making you do absurd damage, or the seemingly complete absence of Tension Pulse encouraging willy-nilly meter use are just so backward for GG.

It's like Capcom deciding to make MvC3 and base it off XMen: Children of the Atom, or people wanting to play World Warrior instead of ST. It's great for laughs, but it's not something I would choose to play when the alternative is available. Heidern98 could come back from another universe and challenge me to matches and I'd say no. (Unless he wanted to play some AC+R, that is. :^)

Maybe the next version.

* We already know Potemkin is absolutely terrible, so I'll gloss it over. Heh.

So all the obvious reasons, pretty much.

Fair enough, I agree with most of what he said really (except I like the hitstop) but it just doesn't bother me as much.

The characters were kinda changed though, I see where he was coming from with the removal of force breaks as none of them were really stupid anyway, but the characters still keep the core of what they are, to me and some characters get some new tools that have some nice uses like Ky's seals, I'No SM etc.

One thing that I didn't really think about until I read that (well, a little bit, when it comes to May and Chipp) was the choosing between damage and knockdown thing. Usually in Guilty Gear air combos do significantly more damage but allow your opponent to tech, there were of course tech traps with air throw and such but overall it was a much better position than being knocked down.
In Xrd there are things like May's new Ensenga? Chipp's new kunai super (which shouldn't knock down anyway) and I-No's HCL follow up. Thinking about it I kind of wish these options didn't really exist. I-No's HCL followup isn't all that crazy though as the knockdown from that is pretty poor, you can't really set up proper oki off it except in the corner with meter and you really want the divekick knockdown anyway.

Huh. Well the YRC's are my favorite part of the game, it doesn't play like AC but it also doesn't play like any other anime game either. It feels like they open up so much creativity in meter management.

I can see why the damage/position simplification would be a turn off.

I'm really tired of dealing with sols who just yolo dp every twenty seconds when i'm i-no
shit, fucking just respect me on wake up so i don't have to empty jump every twenty seconds

I'm really tired of dealing with sols who just yolo dp every twenty seconds when i'm i-no
shit, fucking just respect me on wake up so i don't have to empty jump every twenty seconds

You're talking about xrd right? DP on wakeup is going to be less popular as time goes on, people are still getting their sea legs.

I started my current endeavour creating midscreen dive combos for the dustloop wiki specifically for this exact reason. I have nothing for Sol =(

I-No vs DP is a 50/50 matchup, then you have the actual character and it gets sad.

Need the dives for VCL YRC oki midscren. Corner is no problem because easy mode double dive loop is optimal on Sol and you get 4 note oki from it.

@Grangach
Nah, DP is just a good option against I-No's set play, it is nowhere near as safe as Millia's.

Reactions: agent13