• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Guilty Gear Thread

what exactly is hellfire mode exactly?

If what I've read on dustloop makes sense, I THINK you can still activate IK any time but there is something special about hellfire mode because I see it mentioned around IK as well.

In Hell Fire mode, Overdrives do a lot more damage. Not sure if it has other effects, though. Probably denotes the portion of the health bar where guts is highest. Also, I can confirm that IKs can be done at any point in health - watch this video and check out the health bars when Dragon Install'd Sol does his IK.

EDIT: The opponent being in Hellfire mode is the only time where you can combo into IK.

Reactions: ClarenceMage
Wait is Hellfire mode different from Danger Time?

Danger Time is the random result of clashes and puts every move into a counter-hit state for both players with extra damage. I think in Hellfire Mode you get faster tension gain too, so it's a bit like P4A.

Danger Time looks hella stupid though.

This all just proves that Ky still has the least hype instant kill in fighting game history.

Danger Time can happen when attacks clash. During Danger Time, the first person to land a hit gets a Mortal Counter, which massively increases hitstun. The person who gets the Mortal Counter hit can also cancel their attack into any other action as if they clashed. However, the attack has to be Roman Cancelable in order for it to become a Mortal Counter.

This all just proves that Ky still has the only useful instant kill in fighting game history.

Fixed.

-snip-

Is it a random occurrence with a percentage, or are there variables that influence the occurrence?

Dunno. A rather dubious source claims clashing three times in a row activates Danger Time, but I do not know of evidence to corroborate that.

I don't know about the "in a row" thing because I've certainly seen it come up from a single clash while watching.

Sol wins danger time, by the way.

Some interesting bits from a interview:

http://www.dustloop.com/forums/inde...ical-gameplay-discussion/page-286#entry797634

When the interviewer brings up Dizzy and Bridget being popular, Ishiwatari says character popularity didn't have a big role in selecting which characters to put in the game (though he mentions he also thought for sure that those two would be in), focusing instead on diversifying the roster. Pachi then follows up by saying that he tried not to let his own preferences influence the roster, so he put a lot of thought into who to include. They both then indicate that the characters who made it were chosen for ease of use; Pachi specifically mentions Venom being easier than Bridget, for example, while Ishiwatari says that Slayer was chosen over Johnny for the same reason.

As for the game going forward, all I saw was Ishiwatari saying that whereas SFIV was a return to the series roots, Xrd is meant to be an advancement of the series, and Pachi agrees, believing that SF represents "classicism" while GG represents "modernism."

and there is more if you keep going down.

Reactions: Zombies8MyLeg
Hmm...I wonder if that means the likely hood of the others or some more well know faces showing up now kinda being shot square in the forehead?

Also, even other people at ASW were apparently incredulous when Ishiwatari unveiled Bedman. Pachi himself recalls asking, "That's a placeholder name or an alias, right?", and Ishiwatari just replied, "Nope. Bedman."

Freaking Ishiwatari

Love the guy

That was a good interview because it gives me insight on why they made the decisions they did. I wasn't to excited about that Danger Mode thing, but explaining why it's in the game makes me (sorta) like it. I also had a feeling their goal wasn't to bring back ALL characters which I'm okay with because they want to make room for new ones and have them ALL play differently.

P.S. I like how their trying to make the game's mechanics easier for new comers, but still keeping some of the deep mechanics that made the game so popular in the first place. I can't wait for this game to get a release date.

Last edited:
What was the explanation for Danger Time?

I cannot really imagine anything that would make it seem like a good idea.

What was the explanation for Danger Time?

I cannot really imagine anything that would make it seem like a good idea.
Pachi said that he liked the idea of "surprising players with something they're not expecting that could happen at any time", so in other words it will be something random and unexpected to change the pace of the match. While I do agree with some people that it could slow down a match, I think new players will like it because it's something that's not expected and not in every fighting game.

While I don't like it I also don't completely hate it either. I think they just wanted to try something new.

Last edited:
Random mechanics in fighting games really shouldn't be a thing except for cases like Faust or Teddie or something. Remember tripping in Brawl and how well received that was?

Reactions: ClarenceMage
Random mechanics in fighting games really shouldn't be a thing except for cases like Faust or Teddie or something. Remember tripping in Brawl and how well received that was?
Well when you put it like that......random mechanics in fighting games probably aren't the best idea, but again I feel they were just going for something different.

When the game was first unveiled I remember Clashing was radically different and followed some sort of rock-paper-scissors hierarchy. Apparently that didn't work so well and they replaced it with Danger Time. It's a compromise that I don't think they pulled off very well. I like that Xrd resembles older XX and I think I can tell what ASW was going for. It's hard to pull off a new installment to attract new players without alienating longtime fans.

I'm not against Danger Time's fundamental mechanics, I'm against how it's implemented. When it happens, the match grinds to a halt and the announcer counts down from 3. It's so jarring. I would rather have had it been something like Hellfire where it just happens and the announcer yells its name when it does, maybe there's a screen border flashing effect to denote it, but it doesn't stop the pace of the match so you still have to react to it. I also feel like even if it's random there should be rules in place so that it's not completely so, just so you aren't completely screwed for the round if you happen to lose in Danger Time.

They'll probably see how the new mechanics play out and make adjustments in Xrd plus. I also think that's when they'll start adding the rest of the old cast.

I can't wait for them to re-add Kenshin. Hoping for a radical visual alteration a la Millia.

Pachi said that he liked the idea of "surprising players with something they're not expecting that could happen at any time", so in other words it will be something random and unexpected to change the pace of the match. While I do agree with some people that it could slow down a match, I think new players will like it because it's something that's not expected and not in every fighting game.

While I don't like it I also don't completely hate it either. I think they just wanted to try something new.
That's a pretty poor reason though, with how terribly it seems it works.

It takes 3 whole seconds, in a fast game, why? if it was like 60 frames, I guess, but 180?

Then it just isn't balanced, I've almost never seen a Sol lose it in a non mirror match. Ky also seems to be pretty good at it. Some characters just suck at it, like I-no and it pretty much leads the highest damage possible in the game.

Essentially it could be replaced with : LOL critical hit, have 2/3 of your opponents life for playing a top tier!

That's a pretty poor reason though, with how terribly it seems it works.

It takes 3 whole seconds, in a fast game, why? if it was like 60 frames, I guess, but 180?

Then it just isn't balanced, I've almost never seen a Sol lose it in a non mirror match. Ky also seems to be pretty good at it. Some characters just suck at it, like I-no and it pretty much leads the highest damage possible in the game.

Essentially it could be replaced with : LOL critical hit, have 2/3 of your opponents life for playing a top tier!
I have to agree that while Ishiwatari reason isn't all that good, I think they wanted to go for something different to appeal to new players. I like it because I've seen videos that have people who are playing very passive and then when they trigger Danger Zone the passive player suddenly went on the offensive, so I feel it can change the pace of certain matches. The problem I have with it is like you said it takes 3 whole seconds which can be annoying, but as for Sol always winning thing I've seen videos where Sol and Ky don't win some of them(sometimes a lot of them). It just comes down to patience and if your good with that character.

I've seen a couple of I-no's actually beat Sol in danger time in some streams and it's because they played it patient.

If it was triggered by something and wasn't a full 3 second timer, I would get it.

As it is... random... I hate it. It certainly favours those with good priority normals and invincible moves though...

I still dont know how I feel about Danger Time I guess that 3 second slowdown is so that both players have time to realize its been activated but its a weird game changing system. What I dont really like is that all of the RCs slowdown time (though I might be able to actually do FRC combos now), when it slows down does it affect the opponents actions like the buttons theyre pressing?

Last edited:
I've heard people saying RCs eat inputs but I'm not sure if that's true or whether it's referring to the RC'ing player or the opposing player.

Some Ramlethal matches:

Last edited:
50 minutes of Ramlethal matches (these are better quality)

Also, how is Ramlethal pronounced? The announcer says ram-le-THALE, but he also says po-TOM-kin, so I'm not sure.

I'm disappointed with Ralethal, she looks rather boring. At least I-no still exists and is anything but. Not sure if I'll touch Chipp in Xrd.

She sounds like a Blazblue character, like a mixture of Nu and Rachel. That bothers me.

I want to like what I'm seeing from Xrd, but I never really clicked with Blazblue overall. Should I just stick to playing +R?

Blazblue will bleed into more Guilty Gear soon.
AFxUiBq.png

I want to like what I'm seeing from Xrd, but I never really clicked with Blazblue overall. Should I just stick to playing +R?

I like Blazblue, but Guilty Gear is definitely the superior game. Stick with +R, unless you want to pass the time with Blazblue, since more people are playing that at the moment.

So far she's meeting all my expectations honestly.

So far she's meeting all my expectations honestly.
Were those good expectations?

Xrd does seem like a Blazblue-ified Guilty Gear, while BBCP seems like a Guilty-fied Blazblue, at the very least in regards to game speed.

Xrd does seem like a Blazblue-ified Guilty Gear, while BBCP seems like a Guilty-fied Blazblue, at the very least in regards to game speed.

Let's not forget that they finally ditched the burst and some of the stranger defensive systems of the older games in CP. Between Xrd, CP, and P4A, it feels like all of Arc's games are converging on the same similar ideas. Not that it's a bad thing; generally a lot of the decisions are solid from a design standpoint (25 meter guard break, Overdrive uses Burst meter in CP, Xrd being a streamlined GG with fewer redundant systems in general). But I think there's far less distinguishing BB's gameplay today than there was back during the more gimmicky installments.

Last edited: