• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

hey its a training thing

watched my stuff at HBA again, I think my biggest problems now are more like general FG higher-level (not like high level as in "top level play" but high level as in "above the mechanical level", more abstract kinda) issues. Did things in my set with lethalmind that rewatching it I was just thinking "why the fuck did I even TRY that", gave up a character kill because I wasn't aware enough of how much health he had left, stuff like that. Awareness is a big thing I need to improve on I think, I made a lot of mistakes that were a direct result of me not noticing something in the match.

Reactions: mcpeanuts
only been a little over a week since last update but a decent amount of stuff has happened.

did a set with twerk, he said I was doing basically the same stuff I had been doing about over-relying on assists and upbacking constantly, which while I admit those are still problems I think I have gotten much better about since last time I did a set with him personally. Regardless I tried to take the advice although upbacking is a hard habit to break.

GU monthly was Saturday, went 2-2, lost to dmags and deer both in 2-1 sets, vs dmags I got bodied by parasoul and vs deer I got bodied by fukua. Need to find ways to fight parasoul as BB and I still don't have a good approach option vs fukua upback fireball and call bomber.

Skullbats on Sunday, went 4-1 but the crowd was kinda small, only lost set was to Uzu which unfortunately was offstream and I wasn't recording so I can't watch it again, my sets on stream were 3-2 mayor but it was a bit laggy so I don't know how much I can really take away from it, and 3-0 fakeangel where I really just got him in the filia setplay not much more to say.

(almost)ft15 with josh today, we didn't set a length but I had to go hang my laundry so that's what ended the set anyway:

Haven't rewatched yet but I felt like I played a lot better, I'm getting the hang of using L brass and cymbals as a tool to zone until they get close enough to airgrab or j.lk or whatever. I think I upbacked a lot early as a default defensive option but I made a concious effort later to correct it and felt pretty good about it. Also took to heart some advice sonicfox gave warped in defoxschool about sometimes you just have to commit to a DP, as long as you don't overuse it, so I got out of some spots where he wasn't respecting me. Of course I don't want to get into the habit of DPing all the time but sometimes you just gotta do it.

Rewatched wing's games at CB top8 to try to learn some neutral stuff about filia and parasoul (since I had a few days of character crisis about BB and thought about using Para but I do think I'm sticking with BB) and learned a new reset which was cool, as far as neutral on the surface it looks similar to what I already do (besides jump less at close range) so I think i'll just have to play him and ask him about stuff because there's something I must be missing

I have trouble with Deer when it gets down to my Big Band against his whole team (or if I play solo Big Band which I do sometimes). But one thing I noticed is that he does panic call assists so you can do stuff like dash forward jump back and if he calls bomber give it a good punch with your Brass. I should probably post this in Deer's thread but w/e, he should be reading this thread anyways

Reactions: Pickles
Yeah Pickles you did air dash quite a bit. I couldn't figure out what you wanted to do off that. I've been working on trying to neutral jump more with Filia so if I get an air grab I have many more options. It also keeps you a lot safer against several things.
@mcpeanuts yeah you right I panicked quite a bit against brass. I was trying to bait it out so I could bum rush BB with Fukua or Filia but it never really worked against pickles.

Other then that I couldn't really see any other big issues with your play Pickles you read a lot of my bullshit and punished everything else that you could.

@mcpeanuts yeah you right I panicked quite a bit against brass. I was trying to bait it out so I could bum rush BB with Fukua or Filia but it never really worked against pickles.
Huh? I was talking about Deer, and this isn't even what I said.

Reactions: Deer and dMags
i watched our match again from GU at work, I plan on doing a better breakdown for my own TD when I get a chance ( and I'll tag you ) but just to get stuff out there now.

game 1 - I def need to look at this one more closely, because you pretty much steamrolled me. i legit don't know what to say that'd be helpful to you other than gg you outplayed me haha good reversal bait at the end to beat me, even if I woke up and threw you or something since you just downbacked it'd probably still be the right choice to eat it considering the life lead + meter you had vs. mine

game 2 - not gunna lie I recall being pretty upset at this game start considering how poorly game 1 went for me, and it shows in the number of drops/input errors I had in our first few exchanges. Anyway thats for me to worry about, but I think the big takeaway here is to look at our neutral of PW vs Filia. Except for 1 cr.mk which I drop anyway, all my clean hits on you were from Beat Extend assist, specifically when you're air-dashing in. I noticed this in the set you posted vs. josh as well, but it seems like majority of your approaches w/ Filia are either IAD/AD or jump forward + brass. Once Filia was ded, BB is sort of similar in that you take to the air a lot with j.lk or cymbals, just something to keep in mind. You outplayed me in neutral all the way up until you landed the PGBC Beat Extend after my blocked level 3, you tried to level 5 I think you said? I guess that's something to practice, or just don't go for it if you're uncomfortable w/ the input.

game 3 - like you said already, parasoul did all the work on my team. I think peanuts said this on commentary ( cant confirm no audio at work ) but after PW died and BB was stuck in the corner, as soon as I got 2 bars I did SSJ xx Sniper Shot to get BB out, just something to look for when BB has meter. From there, it looks like most of the neutral hits I landed were from j.lp, j.hp.

anyway, this was the first game of the tournament, so I think it's safe to say neither of us were fully warmed up, but I'll tag you once I do a better breakdown in my own training diary. This is just the stuff I noticed at first glance.

You outplayed me in neutral all the way up until you landed the PGBC Beat Extend after my blocked level 3, you tried to level 5 I think you said? I guess that's something to practice, or just don't go for it if you're uncomfortable w/ the input.

nah I could have killed with level 5 but I missed the s.lp after extend so I couldn't combo anyway, and from there I just got parasoul'd, the part I was more upset about is how you did s.hp on my wakeup when I was 100% sure you'd be baiting a reversal so I tried to throw and got hit lmao. The stuff about me running into beat extend a lot is definitely true though, it happened w/ josh too where I just kinda ran into DP assist, against characters that filia can win the neutral 1v1 I should probably be saving brass assist to countercall, I tried to do it later in my set with josh but BB would get clipped by fukua fireball or I wouldn't be in a good position to protect him.

edit: oh the thing we were talking about regarding level 5 is level 5 after brass and how that's super hard to do, but that's not even something that I missed the input for I just don't try for it because I know I can't do it

Thanks for the advice from everyone, I think I definitely could work on my approach options, I still don't know what to do about parasoul j.lp j.hp

Did a set of ~30 games with @WingZero, I will definitely be going back through the replays to see if I can notice anything but he gave me some advice on neutral both vs parasoul and in general. vs Para he was saying basically play more of a ground game and don't IAD because it's easily punished, and to use my brass assist more since it stops a lot of parasoul's zoning options (which runs counter to what twerk had said about me using brass too often but I guess it basically boils down to "call assist smarter). I asked him about neutral game in general, specifically how I noticed that he was much more agressive with Filia than I was, I was playing safer empty jump -> react to opponent and he was going in much harder, and he said something that I had begun to notice I need to work on, that is knowing what options your opponent has based on their position. If I see my opponent do something that will reduce their ability to stall my offense then I can play much more agressively. I'm beginning to suspect that a lot of the problems I've been having aren't anything character specific but are rather general fighting game fundamental-esque things. Stuff like awareness of my situation like I mentioned earlier, and this stuff more recently about considering my opponent's options.

On a mostly unrelated note, I have pretty much 100% decided at this point to stick with big band. I'd been considering swapping him because of the idea that if I'm not using beat extend then maybe the downside of having big band wouldn't be worth it. But I'm enjoying BB a lot more now, and I think I'm starting to get a bit more of the hang of the whole midrange space control thing which I find really fun. Parasoul is of course very strong at this as well but her (overall) lack of damage combined with lack of a doublejump made her less appealing to me

Here's my thing.

When i fight you. its not Filia/Big band.

I'm fighting, Point of your choice/Assist.

Once i snap and kill your assist. your solo's efforts amount to nothing 90% of the time and just dies. the 10% being that i screw around frequently.

Edit: i believe this is a problem of both having anchor Big band and if someone decides to snap you. you either have to get a hit(which is doable) or Raw tag like you do with josh and just die. Overall its not hard to kill off your team composition just because you want filia point.

things

the first part of your post makes sense to me since it basically sounds like you're saying my filia is weak which is a fair point, but I dont really understand your edit. Are you saying the team is weak because filia is point, if I get snapped and lose the assist then I lose? If so then how is that different then just losing the point in a duo with filia 2nd, that doesn't seem like a team composition problem. But if you mean "you try too hard to keep filia point and it costs you games" then I can see that

here's what i'm saying.

Point band and then Filia 2nd. You're not gonna have filia being anchor for long due to DHC. DHC allows filia to Immediately start her game with gregor dhc. Instead you use SSJ to dhc out but you don't kill anything you just reset the neutral.

The thing to your team is that big band exist. And since you have filia point. i can snap band in for 3 seconds and hurt or kill him and now filia has to do the work her self. Add to the fact that you prolly do not use Updo so i definitely do not have to respect your assist.

I might see it as a problem but if it works for you then keep doing it.

I just think its not exactly strong because when people snap it will change your order and how your team works from then on. as well as your options.

if I get snapped then yes the dynamic changes but it just puts me in the position I would have been in if I started bb point anyway it seems. I wouldn't want to change order anyway since I've tried big band point and not liked it much, and I really enjoy filia point, but even if not for those factors I think the solution is to utilize my filia assist with big band better so it's not as game-ending when big band comes in. It's hard to say "if it works for me keep doing it" because obviously I'm losing matches but I don't think it's because of my team order. I think the current order has potential to be just as good, I am just not good enough with taking advantage of big band point w/ filia assist when he gets snapped in.

you know...... the best thing i can suggest is get good with both characters....to a point where someone is like "should i snap or not?" If people snap your band in cause it dies and makes their life easier then its problem. You should be able to be scary with both characters.

yeah I think that's the main problem, that I've put most of my time recently into getting better with filia because she is my point and her performance sets the pace of the match, but like you said if you snap in my BB he's free so I need to get him up to the same level.

gonna be working hardcore on band for summer jam since I don't want to put in work for a new character that won't be good enough in time, but after SJ I might spend some time just trying to learn characters since after playing against good people I'm having a harder and harder time wanting to keep big band on my team. If someone knows big-band specific mixups and combos the character becomes much worse, and again I don't have beat extend to justify keeping him on for assist reasons (nor do I want to run a DP assist again). We will see if I can get good enough at BB so that the strengths of the character outweigh these massive cons for me but right now I'm not so sure. No idea who I will replace him with though, so again I'll probably just try everyone. Previously I was pretty set on wanting filia point which limited my options but now I'm thinking it might be worth putting her 2nd (not for the big band team, but with someone else maybe).

Updating the first post, wanted to consolidate all the stuff I think I really need to work on.

The other issue I've been having is (yet another, what a fucking surprise) character crisis with Big Band. Basically came about from the Slapfest event last night, I was mostly playing Eliza and Double, my two characters that I know a basic combo/resets and neutral for that aren't mymain team, and especially when playing Double I enjoyed using her more than BB. Not that I don't like BB of course but I think Double can use j.hp and lugers to play the game I like playing with BB cymbals/j.lk/brass stuff, while not being as vulnerable to the instant overheads, TOD character-specific combos, random crossups, etc. Despite finding some setups with brass I also still feel that bomber provides at least as much, if not more benefit to Filia than brass currently does. The benefit to BB however is that I do believe my BB is stronger than my double, and I'm torn between putting in time to bring double up to a good enough level for summer jam, or putting in time to make big band better before SJ but having that time be wasted if I (increasingly likely) decide to drop BB again.

I personally don't like to change main teams right before a major. I also can't really think of anyone who did that and had it work out for them. After Summer Jam there is a lot of time before NEC so as long as you use that time efficiently you should be able to try out a lot of different characters and see which ones you like. For this tournament I'd recommend working on Big Band. That's my advice.

I am at least 70% sure that the same character specific combo that works on bb also works on double, maybe also eliza. At least for fortune I think that's true, probably not for other characters.

Changing things up before a major probably won't do a lot of good before a major like what was said up above, but I don't think it would hurt anything to do it for like casuals n stuff.

i once changed my team for a major. i went 0-2.

edit: which isnt very special because ive been going 0-2 alot recently ;-;

Last edited:
i stole a string from fenster and now my sliding knockdown combo does more dmg

noting for reference

c.lk c.mk s.hp
j.mp (delay slightly) j.mk
s.lp s.mk
j.lp j.lk j.mk
c.lk c.mk H extend
c.mp s.hk H A-train/brass

maybe i can optimize this but this is still like 1.5k more than my old one

Pickles I think you gave me free reign to give you unsolicited advice, if I'm thinking of someone else then oops I already wrote all this. Just wanted to post some stuff I noticed from the games we played last night. To be honest I thought your neutral and your defense were fine, you were losing games mostly because your offense wasn't strong enough. That's the thing I would recommend focusing on. More specifically:

-You gotta work on your hit confirms, a lot of the time you'd hit with something like Filia j.MP or Big Band j.LK then land and go for a throw. Those moves should be hit confirmable on their own. Practice against the dummy set to block randomly.

-A lot of your mixups were something like IAD j.LP land grab or c.LK IAD j.LK and like, I think that sort of thing is OK to do sometimes but you lean on that stuff too much. When you did a mixup like that usually one of two things would happen: I would get hit by both mixups (so the second mixup didn't add anything) or I'd get hit by the first mixup but not the second (lost your chance at a combo).

-When you reset, the reset is almost always overhead or throw. Those aren't different mixups as far as breaking guard, they both beat downback and lose to upback (one of them beats neutral back and the other doesn't but w/e who would ever be holding that). They're also risky; a whiff throw is full combo punishable, Filia j.LK j.HP is punishable if they chicken block, L Giant Step is jab punishable etc. If you reset with Filia c.LK and they block that, you can call Big Band assist and go for another mixup. I would recommend going low way more often, like over 50% of the time when you do restand resets. More air grabs/air grab tech baits would be good too (you did air grabs sometimes but you definitely prefer restand throw or restand overhead). More crossups with Filia would also be good.

-I thought you played the neutral Big Band vs Peacock well, you were picking the right times to punch, but after the knockdown you didn't get a mixup often enough. Here's kinda how I think of being in a hard knockdown situation as Peacock: if I think you're going to grab I'm going to do instant j.LP to beat it and get a combo, if you do c.LK or Giant Step I'm going to M Gun to beat it and get Argus or Lenny > Argus. If you do a mixup that's not either of those things I don't have an option to beat it that also lets me hit you. To be fair you would do jump in j.LK or Cymbals sometimes but again I think you should have done it more often. Also instant j.MK is a good mixup there.

-You need to be able to react to alpha counters, you can Fenrir Drive or Super Sonic Jazz to beat those on reaction. (I'll add that reaction Gregor Samson is not as good an idea as it seems, it loses clean to the alpha counter most of the time. lol gregor sucks)

I was gonna post notes on our set after I got a chance to rewatch the games but thanks for posting this, I knew my offer for getting unsolicited advice would pay off :^)

-You gotta work on your hit confirms, a lot of the time you'd hit with something like Filia j.MP or Big Band j.LK then land and go for a throw. Those moves should be hit confirmable on their own. Practice against the dummy set to block randomly.

I'll see if there were times that this happened and I didn't notice but at least from what I remember most of the time (like at least 80%) this happened the reason I didn't get a confirm was cause of bomb assist, filia j.mp/bb j.lk into c.lk with either character combos so it's what I'm used to, so the bomb really messed me up. You sent me the message about confirming into gregor but I was greedy and wanted to try to do it meterlessly so I was trying to do j.hk which got me hit the one time I actually tried it because that move actually has a hurtbox now. But basically at least from what I could tell it's not that I didn't have a confirm, it's that I didn't have a confirm that avoided L bomb. Though there were probably some times that I got the hit on peacock and did nothing with it.

A lot of your mixups were something like IAD j.LP land grab or c.LK IAD j.LK and like, I think that sort of thing is OK to do sometimes but you lean on that stuff too much. When you did a mixup like that usually one of two things would happen: I would get hit by both mixups (so the second mixup didn't add anything) or I'd get hit by the first mixup but not the second (lost your chance at a combo).

The IAD j.lp grab is definitely something I do a lot, I won't deny that, but I wouldn't call it j.lp -> throw 2 mixups. j.lp is obviously not something I can really confirm off of, the reason I do it is because j.lp is like +10 at best and even if they're really close to the ground if I did IAD then they still don't land before me and it ends up being like +4 at worst so it's a really good poke. Grab is USUALLY the thing I do after that because people tend to block but I can do low/overhead as well of course (and tbh I thought that I had adapted and was doing low more because throw wasn't working but guess I didn't, or at least not enough that you noticed). I don't remember doing c.lk into instant overhead at all though...

When you reset, the reset is almost always overhead or throw. Those aren't different mixups as far as breaking guard, they both beat downback and lose to upback (one of them beats neutral back and the other doesn't but w/e who would ever be holding that). They're also risky; a whiff throw is full combo punishable, Filia j.LK j.HP is punishable if they chicken block, L Giant Step is jab punishable etc. If you reset with Filia c.LK and they block that, you can call Big Band assist and go for another mixup. I would recommend going low way more often, like over 50% of the time when you do restand resets. More air grabs/air grab tech baits would be good too (you did air grabs sometimes but you definitely prefer restand throw or restand overhead). More crossups with Filia would also be good.

With regards to "risky", that is actually something I have been working on but wasn't QUITE confident enough to do it vs you yet. Well, it's partially a matter of confidence and partially a matter of breaking the habit of autopiloting j.hk after IAD j.lk (w/ Filia of course). Filia has some overhead strings that combo (j.lp j.lk c.lk if they aren't point blank next to you, j.lk fastfall c.lk if they are) that I've been practicing but again it's a matter of using the things I work on in actual matches and breaking the habits of old strings. I don't really know why I didn't go low much cause I usually go low almost every time lol, I guess i subconciously thought "peanuts plays me he knows I like low I won't go low"? but it wasn't like a conscious choice I made. I did however intentionally not go for as many air resets cause you're playing 2 characters with doublejumps, though IIRC airthrow beats doublejump so I should have probably been going for that yeah.

I thought you played the neutral Big Band vs Peacock well, you were picking the right times to punch, but after the knockdown you didn't get a mixup often enough. Here's kinda how I think of being in a hard knockdown situation as Peacock: if I think you're going to grab I'm going to do instant j.LP to beat it and get a combo, if you do c.LK or Giant Step I'm going to M Gun to beat it and get Argus or Lenny > Argus. If you do a mixup that's not either of those things I don't have an option to beat it that also lets me hit you. To be fair you would do jump in j.LK or Cymbals sometimes but again I think you should have done it more often. Also instant j.MK is a good mixup there.

Yeah I wasn't really quite sure what to do for oki against peacock when I got the brass. I felt like I guessed wrong about what your wakeup would be almost every time. j.lk is something I did try to do but I was trying to do the 1-hit safejump thing and I guess I mistimed it cause what would happen is you would jump, my j.lk was too low to hit jump, and since I was downbacking (thinking that m-bang would be the only thing j.lk wouldn't hit) I'd get instant overheaded. Instant j.mk is something I'll try though.

You need to be able to react to alpha counters, you can Fenrir Drive or Super Sonic Jazz to beat those on reaction. (I'll add that reaction Gregor Samson is not as good an idea as it seems, it loses clean to the alpha counter most of the time. lol gregor sucks)

let's go gregor gregor sucks. But yeah I thought most of the times I got hit by AC I was in the air though, maybe not.

My overall thoughts though:

Vs peacock:
I really hate fighting against peacock, not just because of the reasons everyone hates fighting peacock, but because her hitbox and weight is really weird for my Filia combos, a decent amount of my stuff TECHNICALLY works on peacock but it's so much trickier to do on her that I usually don't try to go for it.

I do need to do the thing you mentioned about contesting going in with held item though I'm still not really sure how, maybe airthrow? I'll watch the tapes to see if I notice something I could have been doing. I also would try to do things that wouldn't work, like countercall with my brass, and it would never work because you'd be throwing stuff to prevent it, but I'd still keep trying it. You did a REALLY good job of protecting your assist, I could usually tag it with Filia lp but every time I did you'd throw bombs/item in a setup that would prevent me from engaging until your assist was back up again. So I do need to find a better way in against peacock at like midrangeish, basically the range where you actually tossing the L bomb will stop an IAD.

Vs bigband:
I noticed late in the set (but at least I noticed eventually) that as soon as you got 2 bars you were VERY eager to throw out ssj to stop my offense since you could just dhc into lenny if it got blocked, so I was basically on a timer for when I could engage bigband. I felt like I could usually get a hit but my mixup wouldn't work or (more often) I'd just drop my OTG and you'd get out for free. As far as defense, I noticed you resetting low so I'd block low but then of course it would be overhead or throw, you did a good job of varying your mixups.

I do think it's interesting that you said my neutral and defense were fine but my offense was weak, when I had kinda thought my offense was the best part of my game and my neutral/defense were lacking. Guess it just means I have a lot to work on lol. But thanks a lot for the advice, I do appreciate it.

I don't alpha counter against jump ins (at least not intentionally), I usually wait to see a medium ground normal then I do it. You were probably on the ground for most of those alpha counters but I haven't seen the footage either.

You can definitely do air grab setups that don't lose to double jumps. Even something simple like Big Band s.HP > j.LP j.LK j.MP > air grab can't be double jumped out of. That's also something worth testing (although it's hard to make the dummy double jump as a reversal).

wrt Peacock running at you with an item charged: if you see ground dash you know I'm not blocking so just do whatever you want like just DP or IAD or something. Again Taluda did wake up Titan Knuckle to beat it, you can do all sorts of stuff. You gotta think of it like a 50/50, I can let the item go immediately to beat buttons or I can not let it go and do a mixup to (maybe) beat not pushing buttons. You have better odds not pushing buttons obv but you should sometimes if only to prove that you'll do it, otherwise I never have any reason to respect you.

I forgot to mention the lows since I was more concerned about your offense but yeah if you're not expecting a specific reset you default to holding upback. You noticed you were doing it so that's good.

If I have 2 bars I will pretty much SSJ > Lenny at the first chance I see, that's true. Again glad you noticed.

I do think it's interesting that you said my neutral and defense were fine but my offense was weak, when I had kinda thought my offense was the best part of my game and my neutral/defense were lacking. Guess it just means I have a lot to work on lol. But thanks a lot for the advice, I do appreciate it.
The thing with defense in this game is the odds are weighted pretty heavily in favor of the attacker so you have to adjust your expectations accordingly. I think you blocked enough to be able to win most of those games and you usually picked good points to reversal. Neutral kinda ties into this too, if you can hit them once you can setplay their whole team to death; most games you got at least one clean hit. My opinion is that offense is your biggest weakness but obv keep working on every part of your game, we all can stand to get better at everything myself included :)

Pickles I had a thought earlier today, what if you used Brass assist in your resets. Like instead of restand IAD j.LP j.LK or whatever you did IAD j.LK j.HK + Call Brass. I haven't tested it cause I had the idea just now at work but I bet if you call Brass late enough it can make it so you're still at plus even if they chicken block. You could do the same thing after a restand c.LK reset. In both cases I bet it's possible to be at enough plus frames to go for another mixup.

That's something I'd sort of been working with, I did it vs lethal yesterday for the first time in a real match with the restand into IAD j.hk call assist to have an ambiguous safe thing, but doing it after IAD pressure might work. The issue I'd been running into is that if I've used IAD and brass hits them (when I'm on the same side as brass) then I usually can't catch them before they're too far away to combo off the assist, which ends up leaving them at the opposite end of the screen from where I want them to be as Filia. I should try to find something I can use though, good idea.

That's something I'd sort of been working with, I did it vs lethal yesterday for the first time in a real match with the restand into IAD j.hk call assist to have an ambiguous safe thing, but doing it after IAD pressure might work. The issue I'd been running into is that if I've used IAD and brass hits them (when I'm on the same side as brass) then I usually can't catch them before they're too far away to combo off the assist, which ends up leaving them at the opposite end of the screen from where I want them to be as Filia. I should try to find something I can use though, good idea.
Hmmmm maybe you can hit confirm IAD j.LK j.HK and call Brass only on block?

ok actually just labbing some stuff, IAD j.lp j.lk brass c.lk comboes if I don't fuck it up, and I have plenty of time to confirm this is good I like this

e: works with the j.lk fastfall c.lk combo too, the c.lk basically hits at the same time so they don't fly off, and as long as the overhead hits first and not brass then pushblock hits me away enough that I don't get pbgc happy birthday'd nice

Last edited:
ok time for post-summer jam update

Obviously I got top 8 for the first time which was a really big deal for me and I'm really happy about it, but I'm not quite as happy about how I did it. After I got top 8 I did casuals with worldjem in the BYOC room and he won 20-8? or something like that. Either way, one of my goals at tournaments is to win against everyone I think I'm better than but also I should lose against people I'm worse than (although I shouldn't really call it a "goal" to lose, I do think it's what should happen). I couldn't say that about combo breaker (my second loss was 100% to nerves), and I can't say that now. The only reason I beat worldjem is it took him longer than 3 games to adapt to what I was doing, if matches had been 3/5 I probably wouldn't have won.

I think the takeaway from this though is that I was able to beat worldjem in a 2/3 set with my normal play, which shows I have improved, and I guess I would say my "baseline play" (if that makes sense) is good now. What i need to work on is adapting to what my opponent is doing faster. With worldjem in casuals I couldn't deal with fibers at all, and in my top 8 match vs kenin I lost to hornet bomber. Ideally I should be able to notice what my opponent is doing and adapt during that game, but against stuff I'm not used to fighting or that I don't know a way to beat, it takes me a while of trial and error to figure it out, and in a game like skullgirls once you mess up you don't always get another chance to try a different approach in the same game. I also dropped some stuff in my game 2 vs kenin but I was panicked as hell so I shouldn't be surprised.

Things to improve on:

-adaptability, of course as I discussed already
-following this, learn counters to certain characters' strategies and be aware of what they can do in a given scenario (I had this from before but it's still a problem)
-work on calling assist better, I labbed some approaches that brass covered but I would never call brass until after I was already pushblocked out and it's not as good in that scenario. I also fucked up countercall timing a lot in my game vs kenin.
-vary my options, EVERY time I got a hit with filia I went into the same combo and reset at one of two points, both late in the combo. I did take a few new filia reset points from watching games but I had a lot that I didn't use. Basically don't autopilot combos/resets, mix it up more.

Did some games offline with peanuts practicing filia/double and it's pretty nice, last time I ran this team I used L bomber but I switched to M bomber after seeing Winnie run it with his duo and I'm pleased with the results so far. M bomber IS an assist I can call after getting pushblocked out that basically keeps them busy until I'm back in again, and I can think I can get a combo off it when it hits if I am smart about it and can react in time (even if the starter is suboptimal as hell, at least it gives me a chance to start my setplay). As far as playing double goes, I really enjoy this character, she feels a lot more fluid (no pun intended) than big band and I think she can do a lot of the same kind of space control stuff with j.hp and lugers so we'll see how this goes. I have a couple of teams I want to learn before NEC and see which one I like most.

and in my top 8 match vs kenin I lost to hornet bomber.
Have you gotten a chance to lab this? I remember we talked about how Kenin likes to downback and call Double, and how you weren't sure how to beat that strategy. If you haven't already I would recommend watching your set with Kenin and specifically look at the times you got hit with Hornet Bomber assist. Look at what you were doing when the assist hit you and also look at what happened just before the assist call that made Kenin want to call Hornet Bomber. Try to recreate that exact sequence of events in training mode using the recording features and try to beat it.

mini update:

-in watching my set with ken I noticed that I was IAD-ing a lot and kind of just ran into bomber, so practiced some approaches (w/ filia at least) to try to get around what he was doing
-been practicing 2 of the teams I wanted to try: squig/filia/band and filia/double. Haven't done sets vs good players with squig/filia/band because I'm not super comfortable with squigly neutral yet but I think I'm learning. Practiced the links so I can do chargeless stancel combos which isn't something I could do before. My squigly vortex isn't super scary yet but one step at a time.

skullbats today, it was casualbats so I used squigly/filia/bigband for most all of my matches, I switched to filia/double in my 2nd to last match because it was vs a good peacock and I can't play squigly vs peacock, and also used filia/double vs iDante in the final match. Our first game we did filia v beo because fenster wanted to see it and I got beat by crossup blitzer into vortex as is the usual for me vs him, I switched to filia/double and won, so then dante changed to his filia/val subteam. I ended up losing 3-2 and I'm pretty tight about it since the reason I lost is because he would do gregor/updo/whatever almost every time I jumped at him, and ringlet spike after every blockstring, and it hit every time because I didn't catch on. The one time I baited something he did val tag and I didn't get a punish because val tag (should have just gone for throw). But the point is I didn't adapt to the fact that he was reversaling constantly and I lost because of it. Starting to think adaptability is my main problem right now.

Reactions: gllt
hella 6 on "wow he reversal'd *goes in* wow, he reversal'd *goes in* *reversal* fuck, why do i keep doing this"

did ft10 with idante today, same team as skullbats and i won 10-3 figured out how to bait reversals yay

On a more serious note though, I'm not sure what I think of squigly. I can't really point to anything about squigly I don't like: she feels plenty mobile, her mixups are squigly-tier of course, I can get charge for mostly free with brass, and center stage SBO shenanigans are really cool. My issue is she just doesn't feel as fun as filia, and that's the only way I can think of to put it. When I'm practicing my squig/filia/bb team, I find myself actually happy when squigly dies because it means I get to play filia. I think I'm gonna hold off on playing the team in QM since my squigly is good enough at this point to beat avg QM players, but not good enough yet to play against real people. When I get a chance/feel like it I'll try to watch some of fuzzy's games or something to see if I can figure out what to do as squigly and maybe it'll be more fun than what I'm doing.

With regards to filia/double, I really like this team the more I use it, M bomber is doing everything I always wanted brass to do for me and more. With double I'm trying to learn cilia slide combos but I can't get the j.mk rejump after the j.mp j.hk in the basic bnb, it says to superjump but I keep hitting too late and it uncombos. Just have to practice it more. Also need to learn some better mixups/resets w/ double.

but I can't get the j.mk rejump after the j.mp j.hk in the basic bnb, it says to superjump but I keep hitting too late and it uncombos. Just have to practice it more. Also need to learn some better mixups/resets w/ double.

I STILL CAN'T DO THIS, like, 1/20 times, I hate this thing

So I just do jLP/jLK jMP jHP re-sj/dj jMK2 jHK Barrel, of course, you have to alter the rest of the combo to use this alternative string, but, why do one double combo? That optimal slide bnb is sick but I hate the jMP jHK thing. I just hate it. Grind it if you want, you should, don't be a scrub like me, but I suggest you learn some alternative strings anyways, the jLP/jLK variants of that string set up some nasty stuff just like the jMP jHK variant does, it's a good reset point.

With regards to filia/double, I really like this team the more I use it, M bomber is doing everything I always wanted brass to do for me and more. With double I'm trying to learn cilia slide combos but I can't get the j.mk rejump after the j.mp j.hk in the basic bnb, it says to superjump but I keep hitting too late and it uncombos. Just have to practice it more. Also need to learn some better mixups/resets w/ double.
I think the way I do that is super jump as early as possible and j.MK as late as possible, if that helps. tbh though in the rare event that I actually do a full combo I usually just barrel loop