• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

How do I Skullgirls

This gives me an idea for reacting to car with val's counter.

Heh. Time to test.

This gives me an idea for reacting to car with val's counter.

Heh. Time to test.

It works. If you don't have a vial loaded, double goes back to her ugly form once you hit her. Strangely trying to punish with savage bypass whiffs. EDIT: Only the hk version. weird.

Last edited:
It works. If you don't have a vial loaded, double goes back to her ugly form once you hit her. Strangely trying to punish with savage bypass whiffs.

You wouldn't bypass a car.

Reactions: Fedora_Ninja

the last j.MK can be flight cancelled for a left/right j.HK reset.

3-1 this week in Skullbats.

Feeling less fraudulent? ;_;7

Double has a pretty good air approach with j.HP, j.HK (land cancel fast fall sorta thing), low/throw.

Worth playing around with.

+ ground combo ending in LK Buer > fly j.LP, j.LK is a good time to ankle-check shorter characters with a j.HK crossup for the reset.

+ j.LK (block), fly, j.LK, fly, j.LK | c.LK. Basic, should really be keeping it simple to get the hit instead of the fancier/slower j.MP shit that no one's paying attention to anyways.

+ j.MK is much better for brute-forcing block pressure instead of j.HKs

Some fun games against Skiller, Fuzzy_Snugs, and Bududubdubdubs. The skill gap doesn't feel as huge as it did when I first ran into them, and I was even able to take some games from them. They're both still much better than me, but I at least feel like I got to play and made some good decisions.

Against fortune, MP/HP Nail + Val ninja star assist is surprisingly annoying, gimmicky as it is. Nails help that match tremendously if they don't want to go headless.

Last edited:
25 casuals with @ElkyDori

Youtube's still re-encoding this, but should be available in an hour.

As a community, we need to band together and get @hlvn the equipment necessary to include audio in these YouTube videos.

ihbRiZv.png

Reactions: Pfantzypantz
Or you can be like khaos and embrace the booty.

Painwheel
  • ken uses (dash) st.MP to convert from bomber calls guaranteed. that's a lot of free damage I've passed up due to not getting the full conversion after a few c.MK/st.HPs hit but don't pull them in close enough.
  • mix in c.MP on pressure strings sometimes.
  • practice calling assist > c.LK, fly j.LK, [fly j.LK | c.LK]

working on char-specifics, working versions below. airthrow can be subbed in for the trigger j.LP, but the airdash is pretty obvious and meh to scaling and meter conversions.

Bella, Parasoul:
launch
[1] j.HP, ADC j.MK, j.HP
[2] j.LP, j.MK, jHP, ADC j.LP (!)

Filia, Valentine:
launch
[1] sj.HP, ADC j.MP, j.HP
[2] (delay jump as much as hitstun allows) j.LP, j.MK, jHP, ADC j.LP (!)

Last edited:
It looks like you need to get used to val's airdash angle and speed. There were a lot of times you would airdash into really dangerous spots or completely whiff with j.mp. Some of this can be fixed by cancelling into the normal way earlier, but you were also doing that so I think you were dashing longer intentionally. If you let her airdash rock out for too long you get too much air under her wings and she kind floats away while you leave your ass exposed.

It looks like you need to get used to val's airdash angle and speed. There were a lot of times you would airdash into really dangerous spots or completely whiff with j.mp. Some of this can be fixed by cancelling into the normal way earlier, but you were also doing that so I think you were dashing longer intentionally. If you let her airdash rock out for too long you get too much air under her wings and she kind floats away while you leave your ass exposed.

A big goal going into the set was just getting more play time with her. Testing different angles, the burst bait I'd just come up with, combos, and the Val/Double stuff I'm in the process of stealing from Duck, etc.

I'm still working on her for sure, but I am actually pretty happy with how far she's come for the time I've put in with her.

Last edited:
J.HP Armor > Thresher
J.HP Armor > Thresher
J.HP Armor > Thresher
J.HP Armor > Thresher
J.HP Armor > Thresher

It must be ready for the 8th

Reactions: GirlyStyle
My thoughts on repurposing McPeanut's Double j.MK mixup for Val's j.MK:

• one hit, fastfall with j.HP and c.LK/throw
  • both hits so the second (high) hits, then chain j.HK and land to convert.
  • both hits, j.HK, and if they're still blocking ADC > j.MP for aggression + lockdown assist to sustain aggression for as long as you don't expect a reversal.
  • both hits, j.HK, and if they're still blocking ADC > crossup j.HP/j.LK. This one is probably better on shorties like PW and Peacock since their reversals have very horizontal/shitty hitboxes.
I still haven't had time to put in the lab work to confirm that the second hit of Val's j.MK is high, but I know the first two work (and I use it) with Double's j.MK. I'd be very surprised if Double's version was high, high and Val's wasn't.

Double:
  • j.HP > j.HK fastfall throw/low is great. Remember throw if they don't recognize the mixup, low if you can tell they're the upbacking type.
  • j.MK jump in. The ride never ends.
  • 3v3, two barrel loops + level 5 is a sure kill. End the loops with LP, MK, c.HP, HK Bomber, Moai, MP (pickup from Moai hit), LP indefinitely.
Valentine:
  • try j.MK, j.HK, Airdash (crossup) + PW assist. Adds to the already-stupid options j.MK has.
  • more st.HK + assist > Vial. Be ready to Flatline/Counter on reaction.

Vancouver Underdogs 3/8/2014
Things that went well (Known):
  • Remembered to stretch hands/wrists at the start of sets and between sets
  • Remembered to slow down and take time to think about the previous match's flow/highlights before confirming ready for the next match
  • Conscious effort to not burn out on Skullgirls casuals prior to the tourney
  • Remembered to breathe deeply and stay physically relaxed during every set, while keeping the kill-mind up front
  • Remembered to play as basic/simple as possible until I needed to escalate the situation to crazier things
Things that went well (Known Unknown):
  • Stayed frosty against the three players I expected to lose to, and beat one (twice!) while generally doing better than I expected against the other two.
  • Recognizing that Valentine was not ready and cutting her from the team to stick to something you're more versed in. Even if it's more pressure, I am glad I made the right decision and worked through the disadvantageous matchups in earnest rather than trying to sell out on something that isn't ready for production.

Things that went well (Unknown unknown):

• Offline teching and blocking is real!!!! I feel like the game is actually everything I ever hoped it was amagad!!!! <3 <3 <3 <3
  • Slept well the night before the tourney. This one was all Goose's excellent organization/driving. <3
  • Being in great company that helps you stay relaxed and makes sure you have a fun time, win lose or draw. @Choose Goose, Young Duckling, @GirlyStyle, @Skarmand and @CorpseFeast are the greatest.
  • Everyone playing (myself included) played a fair bit under their ability due to nerves. I had a lot of knowledge of people's general playstyles going into the tournament, and while things went as expected, they didn't go NEARLY as badly as I'd estimated. I think moving forward, unless it's a very big tournament where national-level players with a lot of experience in majors (i.e., nerves of steel) are playing, be a bit less conservative in estimates.
  • Kind of related to the previous point, but yay top 3 at my first offline event. That is much better than the 0-2 I dreaded. <3

Things that went badly (Known):
  • Telepillar. It's somewhat of an absolution to see others legitimately have a hard time with it too, but it's lab time.
  • Skarmand's technical play in general. Aside from Telepillar, he was very smart about either reversaling difficult-to-see approaches/mixups with MP Bang, or buying his way out with Parasoul level 3.
  • So many dropped combos. I've always waffled on whether it should be [Throw > fleshstep > st.LK] or [throw > dash > c.MP] as a matter of consistency, and I absolutely knew something like this would happen because of it. It definitely shows in these matches. I was a bit nervous, but I can't really say I was nervous enough for it to affect my play. Part of this is getting used to the way offline and PS3 looks/feels for the first time, and a lot of it was just really focusing 100% on neutral/mixup permutations and then dropping combos after getting the hit and dividing my attention to the point that combo execution suffered.
Things that went badly (Known Unknown):
  • Girlystyle's fundamentals and adaptive ability. Especially the point where he really played it patient/safe with c.LK/throw mixups with his Double once he recognized that I am the patient/blocking type in the corner. That was an especially good series of decisions on his part, and I feel he's generally great at recognizing when he needs to pivot from offense to defense and vice versa, while staying relatively difficult to read.

Things that went badly (Unknown unknowns):
  • PS3 pad is not a viable long-term solution. A PS1/PS2 controller + converter or something else needs to be available. Be sure to get a spare. You will probably not be this lucky again.
  • Eating properly the day of the tournament. Two donuts, some donut holes, coffee, and three cans of Arizona tea is not the stomach I need during loser's finals. Aim for chicken caesar something, leafy green sandwich, Pho, or soup of some kind next time.
  • Not having a hoodie/umbrella en route to the venue. I was very sad to be on stream with rained-on hair after spending the time blow-drying and straightening the day before.
  • Not giving as much back to Goose and GirlyStyle as I would have liked for all their hospitality. Next time more presents, more snacks, more help with gas, more everything. <3

General Thoughts:

It felt like player pattern analyses, adaptive spacing, and fundamental responses were all skills that put me ahead in my matches, and my patience really distinguished me from other players, even if my fundamentals aren't phenomenal in the grander/national scale of things. I feel like this needs to be the number one priority in practice at all times moving forward. Combos, resets, everything else are all nice, but ultimately gimmicks in comparison to your ability to play the player, and not the matchup.

It's why GirlyStyle cleanly beat me, and Telepillar aside, a lot of why I lost my grip on the few advantageous moments I had against Skarmand. If that had been in better shape going into the tourney, I might've at least been on even footing with Skarmand going into the set. Girlystyle's level of play will likely be a tougher nut to crack, and Satan playing at 100% would likely be the worst of everything on a fundamental and technical level. Skarmand is a bit of a prodigy that is still getting better all the time though, so I need to work harder to keep up with his natural talent.

There needs to be a concise training schedule. Not just play when you find time and write down the things you stumble across, but an actual constructed regimen with clear goals and a set time to stop, so that you're reflecting on your practice/play outside of that time instead of just grinding it out aimlessly.

A set schedule and organization is also probably necessary to come up with a realistic and accessible (but deep/diverse) cache of tech and modes of play that you can come back to again and again when you need it in specific situations/matches, as opposed to just playing basic and winging it.

Last edited:
Vancouver Underdogs 3/8/2014
Hella good recap

I've been mulling the tournament over and reached a lot of the same conclusions as you did, especially those related to training. Perhaps we could metalab something out (or play more sets together) in the future?

I've been mulling the tournament over and reached a lot of the same conclusions as you did, especially those related to training. Perhaps we could metalab something out (or play more sets together) in the future?

I like this plan. <3

Looks private, but if it is some of your matches, I'd love to see them.

Looks private, but if it is some of your matches, I'd love to see them.

It'll be private until we get permission from the TO/Stream guys to make it public.

Reactions: Spencer
Half-way decent. It sort of looks like launch>empty sj>throw. Fridge looks less effective as barrel appears faster.

Half-way decent. It sort of looks like launch>empty sj>throw. Fridge looks less effective as barrel appears faster.

For sure.

I need to lab it up with Teacup and see if I can reproduce the same thing with better recovery. Just keeps getting hit by the burst for some reason.

I play against a guy who uses this style burst, I think it worked the first time and then any other times I knew not to hit buttons. There's also a ton of variations with luger cancel for mash bait on the ground (if you're into that).

I have seen a nice corner set up where it ends in something like j.HK > j.HK, where the 2nd j.HK triggers it. If they burst you get to punish and if they don't burst, you can go for an airthrow. 2filthy

j.HK is a projectile so if you burst from that you're always safe, no?
I asked worldjem about this in regard's to peacock's j.HK, and he said only the 2nd hit (avery) can be safely burst.

So as long as the are the same, you're only half safe.