• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

How much for a new character to be added?

Status
Not open for further replies.

clawmaster

Reaction score
Website
www.clawmasterart.com
Steam
Clawmaster
Squigly Big Band
So I remember awhile back during the streams lab zero were holding at Salty Cupcakes, that the costs for a new character to be added was around 2,500? Correct me if I am wrong on that. Anyways reason I ask is because, after thinking about it, I might actually just buy a new character to added to Skullgirls game. I am not sure how @Mike_Z feels about this, but I remember it being mention on a steam in a joking matter. And I know Mike doesn't want to ask for fans to donate more money for what we already gave for the game. So I am curious about that.

also for those who are wondering, I would buy both Annie, and Minette.

A new character would cost roughly $300.000

It's not very hard to check..
- Go to the IGG page and see how much money characters cost: 150k for Squigly, 200k for Others. Squigly can be ignored since she already had some stuff finished, which whatever new character wouldn't have (unless it's Marie, perhaps)
Then subtract 30k from that, as you wouldn't need IGG fees / Crafting and Shipping of the Rewards
-- That's the minimal possible sum (170.000)
- Then add an unspecified amount -I took 130k to get a nice number-, as currently the entire staff is slaving away on no pay, and nobody has any interest in continuing that (so future characters would cost more)

Then take into consideration that maybe people of the staff don't actually want to continue working on SG (eg a possible concern would be Mike's physical state, due to working too long every day and grinding himself up on stuff like the Beta Discussion topic)

I'd think that it would be unlikely to happen even if you were to dig out 300k
2500 bucks is a complete joke; the IGG raised 830k, do you think we will be getting a 350 character roster

Reactions: Flotilla
I heard Annie

But you lost me with the second one

Do you have 250k around for Annie, do ya?

Reactions: Karlaaldana
With 2000 you could have gotten two backgrounds characters. That fancy people in the Glass Canopy stage, ya know. Maybe that's what you got wrong.

worldjem watches this thread like a hawk, waiting to strike.

Alright thanks for clearing that up guys. I think I get that same feeling too seeing Mike work pretty hard at balancing the game, as well as making the last bit of the characters into the game. Good to know in the future if I plan to just donate that amount to lab zero for a new character in another game or just out of the goodness of my heart <3

Please be a rich tycoon, willing to invest in Annie of the Stars.
Hell, why not just make a game? There are tools out there today you can use to make it for cheap or free.

Hell, why not just make a game? There are tools out there today you can use to make it for cheap or free.
Cause you need funding in you want to keep people working for you.
And then you'll have to make a deal about selling your IP to a publisher for that. Happened with Skullgirls and then the curse and the Konami lawsuit. I don't think LabZero wants to go through that again.

hmmmm... i kinda want to post that video that Jaxamoto made buuuuuuuuuut i won't cause i'm not a ding dong. and i think everyone here knows what the real costs of making a good video game are.

Isn't 250k the price because they don't get paid much I'm sure the price would double so that they get better money this time around.

They've said this before.

"If we did another indiegogo it would be much more expensive" because something about wages and it being very low.

Isn't 250k the price because they don't get paid much
That was the case, from what i remember. It's probably at least $300k like Isa mentioned.

Id do another indiegogo fuck it

Lab Zero said that if they were to entertain a hypothetical second IndieGogo, the cost per-character would be considerably higher than Keep Skullgirls Growing because they've been working for minimum wage since early 2013 and can't continue down that path forever.

(That only means that I'd donate twice as much)

wow didnt' think this thread was still active.

Cause you need funding in you want to keep people working for you.
And then you'll have to make a deal about selling your IP to a publisher for that. Happened with Skullgirls and then the curse and the Konami lawsuit. I don't think LabZero wants to go through that again.

yes and no. Technically with the tools that are out there today from the basic like RPG maker to the very complex like say the new Unreal Engine, these tools are available to buy and use by anyone. While getting the tools is easier today then back then, doesn't also mean its easier to make the game either. It does take a good amount of work and know how to even make a simple game. I was just suggesting that if the annie game was made, it would just be for fun. Nothing too grand or huge. Fan made game if you will.

Operation "Make Umbrella in RPGMaker"

250000 was for partial Squiggly
300000 was for new character

And that was like $10- $12/hr if they were doing 40 hour weeks with everything going on time.
But they are doing more than 40 hour weeks and some characters took longer and a bunch of other delays and expenses happened.

I would be interested in seeing the not slave wage costs for 1 more character with story and stage.

Reactions: ElementFree
Same, but I'm rather certain it wouldn't go so hot. People would just think L0 is exploiting its fans.

Either way, Annie.

Yeah, Annies good.

Reactions: DDB
wow didnt' think this thread was still active.

yes and no. Technically with the tools that are out there today from the basic like RPG maker to the very complex like say the new Unreal Engine, these tools are available to buy and use by anyone. While getting the tools is easier today then back then, doesn't also mean its easier to make the game either. It does take a good amount of work and know how to even make a simple game. I was just suggesting that if the annie game was made, it would just be for fun. Nothing too grand or huge. Fan made game if you will.

You missed the point.

Same, but I'm rather certain it wouldn't go so hot. People would just think L0 is exploiting its fans.

I wouldn't be so sure : the first indiegogo campaign had the actual game as a reference of the quality of the works, and people gave quite alot. The result, at least from what i see, is actually better than the core game with more complex character, more fleshed out story mode, more than one stage per character, Fukua, and all the fix and improvement added to the core game(like the command list, tournament, ect...). That should give quite a large amount of credibility, especially when you look at what capcom did in the meantime...

In all cases, i don't think there's much to lose to do a campaign asking higher price in the future. At worst, it doesn't work and no obligation is present.

Especially if they were to make a promise like Annie. They could never fail with such a glorious goal.

woah dude sweet, whats the secret code?

You gotta beat Arcade as Annie with all perfects.

woah dude sweet, whats the secret code?

Its umbrellaallerbmu9875987283684867587788253996473826788275371003920883769558543466445687787639383766352736443358634366367084 and no copy and pasting

thanks bruh

Isn't 250k the price because they don't get paid much I'm sure the price would double so that they get better money this time around.

They've said this before.

"If we did another indiegogo it would be much more expensive" because something about wages and it being very low.
I like your stile

Operation "Make Umbrella in RPGMaker"
Yes I will help you

thanks bruh
Your welcom:PUN::PA::PUN:

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.