• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

How much for a new character to be added?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can reply to multiple posts in a single post.
Like this! : )

Just note that multi posts are against the rules usually. You can also edit one of those posts to include all your responses and delete the other two.
Ummm OK?

So yeah umbrella would be a nice character :3

Last edited by a moderator:
Well Umbrella is waiting for her turn for way too long, it would ony be justice to bring her in!

Reactions: Skittylover228
After Annie.

Speaking of which, when is she?

After Annie.

Speaking of which, when is she?

Bzzt! Wrong! I have nothing against Annie, but Umbrella was in the initial plan for the core game if i remember well, unlike Annie. So she's been waiting even longer!

As for where is Annie, she's probably busy starring in that fangame also called Annie of the stars!

Reactions: Skittylover228
whens beatrix

Just an aside, I believe there was a serious attempt before where a handful of people were going to organize a fundraiser to get Annie funded shortly after the IGG thing ended, but Ravi had to blatantly say I think on Neogaf or Twitter to don't do it because of reasons I don't specifically remember. Think one of those was Annie being one of the more higher priority characters after the obvious three [Marie/Umbrella/B.Dahlia] get in, but of course this could all be outdated info in the end if true because SG development is likely to stop after R.Fortune drops and whatever post release balance is required. If further SG development is gonna happen it's most likely gonna be a sequel title if they ever find a publisher willing to invest instead of continuing to release dlc due to the greater potential of investment returns.

Well, after all the request on the forum and the multiple pool in the indiegogo campaign, they know who are the most wanted! There's no much point to debate after that. What's on the line is a sequel will be developed or not, and the answer is in the hands of publishers or anonymous rich Tycoon!

And anyway, personally i would be happy no matter who is added in the future. From what i saw Beowulf was one of the 'Tamer' choice(i have nothing against that, but with all the outlandish choice i was surprised that he won) in all the cast, and yet he turns out great!

In fact, i'm already thankful enough that the current update exist, for a long while i feared that the game would stop there with a small cast like waku waku 7.

I could be wrong. But hasn't the Skullgirls interest been dying a lot? I mean, how many are still interested exept us and other Skullgirls forums/cult?

And as it has been mentioned. Those who are interested may only want specifik characters to be made and not wanna throw there money on a vote! Like mentioned, again. Squigly already had some work before the indegogo campain. Soo the only one left who already have some work would be Marie (my personal and a bunch of Japanese number 1 wanna have)!

Just an aside, I believe there was a serious attempt before where a handful of people were going to organize a fundraiser to get Annie funded shortly after the IGG thing ended, but Ravi had to blatantly say I think on Neogaf or Twitter to don't do it because of reasons I don't specifically remember.
To be exact it was like

"LET'S DO A CROWDFUND JUST FOR ANNIE"

Then Ravi was like "guys no"

"LET'S MAKE ANNIE OURSELVES"

Then Mike was like "guys no"

I could be wrong. But hasn't the Skullgirls interest been dying a lot? I mean, how many are still interested exept us and other Skullgirls forums/cult?

Good question, but i think that the interest is still there. Unlike alot of other games, it's still easy to find opponent online. After that, well it's the hardcore fighter fan that are usually aware of Skullgirls existence, the more normal player that only need a fighter or two will go toward street fighter and smash bros instead. That said, Skullgirls target the same crowd as Arcsys with Guilty gear, Blazblue and persona4 arena, and all these franchise have no problem surviving even thought the targeted crowd is more niche. So, i think that the interest is still easily there, just not as big as the Street fighter cult.

That said, i wish it was more popular, but i can't change people taste!

There's a difference with the Arc crowd. They get a new game every year or so, which keeps people moving onto the next shiny thing. Skullgirls just has shiny new characters, which is probably part of why you see so much "Squigly/Big Band/Eliza is my favorite" stuff.

There's a difference with the Arc crowd. They get a new game every year or so, which keeps people moving onto the next shiny thing. Skullgirls just has shiny new characters, which is probably part of why you see so much "Squigly/Big Band/Eliza is my favorite" stuff.

That's rather harsh. I get your point, but don't completely agree. Squigly/Big Band/Eliza are newcomers so they get their fans of course, but it's also because they get better made with time and are generally more distinct than the current cast with custom system for each of them(screen controlling and stance, parrying and trompet recital, Sekhmet, that fancy grab-mode/crowd reaction ect... ). Also, the constant 'in progress' state of the game with update and experiment constantly made have kept quite a momentum in it's fandom. I'm sure the capcom fan would have loved to follow street fighter update in a similar beta(and then completely blast them for the 'decapre incident' before it was even fleshed out!).

The PS4/Vita version should serve as the 'new game shine' hopefully. Same for the new arcade version.

"Skullheart - Error"
"You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action."

why
@ArgonBern sorry for the late answer, didn't notice this post!

Forum restructuring made the thread unable to be viewed by normal users

Here is the original message by MikeZ, thanks to Midiman copypasting it:
Higher wages change the price more than you think.

Let's say we wanted to make something that means just breaking even if you scrimp in LA, like $50k/year. That's $12.5k per character (3 months) per person, which is $100k per character without any expenses besides salaries. (Current salaries at $15/hr are around $62.6k per character total.) That's a $40,000 price increase for "no reason".

Realistically we'd like to make more than not-going-broke, so let's say we were making a bad entry-level wage for game dev even though we all have experience, like $65k. That's $16.25k per character per person, so $130k per character just for salaries. That's $70,000 more per character right there.*

I sincerely doubt that people would support that.

As a comparison, to deliver what we're currently doing for the IGG (4.5 characters, excluding Fukua) with poopy-but-real salaries we'd have had to raise around $1,144,000 instead of the $829,829 we got.

* It also highlights how much we currently don't make. ;_;

Reactions: K.Radical
Thanks for the info!

That...doesn't look that bad in term of increase of needed fund per character. When suggestion pop up about another kickstarter, i was thinking about doubling the amount requested per character, which would have been about 1 600 000$ in total. Per character, it may seems high from the point of view of the backer, but bundled as a complete sequel, it may be more attracting. Also, should something like that happens, it doesn't have to be 4.5 characters the next time, the initial goal was for one character after all!

Also, since something like Mighty number 9 can get 4 000 000$, 1 600 000$ Seems rather easy in comparison! And by the way, althought i have high respect for some of the folk involved in the mighty 9 game(especially inticreate), they had some...lousy attitude toward all this.

Anyway, in all cases, i just hope Lab Zero will get their big break one day!

how does this thread keep getting resurrected?

You prefer to have threads about the argument opened over and over?

yea, it's better than how we keep getting yet another "what happens after Robo gets done" thread every other month

how does this thread keep getting resurrected?
it's obviously the power of
test49_3649.JPG

Reactions: Senjin and Beuzer0
I'll buy myself a sandwich if we get a new character.

Hell, the fanbase has shown they want a new character so bad they'd be willing to help with the art and animation as well! Look at Panzerfaust and Annie! They could cut some costs by creating the base animations, having us fans animate the rest, clean up the animations, apply the palettes, and the only thing you really need to work on is those base animations to show what the attacks will be and the programming.

Hell, the fanbase has shown they want a new character so bad they'd be willing to help with the art and animation as well! Look at Panzerfaust and Annie! They could cut some costs by creating the base animations, having us fans animate the rest, clean up the animations, apply the palettes, and the only thing you really need to work on is those base animations to show what the attacks will be and the programming.

Yeah, i understand your enthousiasm about this, but i don't think it's a viable solution. First, look at what happened to Juju...external input on animation or other thing like this may lead to similar dispute if not worse.

Also, when you're the designer of a game and it's character, letting random people, even if it's the harcorest fan(or even worse if it's the hardcorest fan?) is a rather touchy and indesirable subject. I may be wrong, but it's how i see this.

Reactions: ArgonBern

That's cool, but I think another of the reasons Mike and L0 are pessimistic is because (as they once stated) they are afraid to be like exploiting the fanbase, which is compreensible as a reason. Helping with animations and such seems a bit to much to me (but that's just me) but on the other side this could help them, but it depends to what extension.

I would.

On another note when the IGG campaign was started the community was somewhat larger than what it is now and some were even new players who were interested in the project. There was a stat thing I once saw posted here by a user from a site that monitors steam players activity on certain games: when SG was launched on Steam the median player count was a bit more than 2000, while now it seems to be a sad 100 and something.

I would need to find that site again but my fear is that we wouldn't manage to fund such a project again not because of the ammount people would donate but because of the number of people donating, unless you find a way to attract the interest of more people.

And what radical said I think also applies.

Yeah, i understand your enthousiasm about this, but i don't think it's a viable solution. First, look at what happened to Juju...external input on animation or other thing like this may lead to similar dispute if not worse.

Also, when you're the designer of a game and it's character, letting random people, even if it's the harcorest fan(or even worse if it's the hardcorest fan?) is a rather touchy and indesirable subject. I may be wrong, but it's how i see this.

Overall, even if L0 had to fund a project it would be in the best of all that it was a sequel and/or find some company willing to fund them and see the potential in this.

It would have been Konami if they didn't reveal themselves to be the vidya corporation scum baddies they apparently are.

"External input" is the norm. Skullgirls does not only include the ten people we all know and love, but many many commissioned artists around the web. All what externals need to do is follow the guidelines given by the main artists.
So the problem is not external input, it's free external input.
As I never get tired to say, animation is fucking hard. Don't expect people to make it for free. Thanks

On another note when the IGG campaign was started the community was somewhat larger than what it is now and some were even new players who were interested in the project. There was a stat thing I once saw posted here by a user from a site that monitors steam players activity on certain games: when SG was launched on Steam the median player count was a bit more than 2000, while now it seems to be a sad 100 and something.

That's understandable, all fighters get a boom at launch and then decline in term of simultaneous player. That doesn't necessarily means that no one is playing the game anymore, just more sporadically. But as you say, the best path would be to move on to a sequel. It makes things seems more fresh and attract consumers once more to buy again. The official Skullgirls Encore for PS4 and Vita wil probably already generate a renewed interest for the franchise, especially as pretty much all complaint critics had for the first game have been resolved since.

As for Konami, well i start to think that all the company we knew and love back then aren't at all what they are now anymore, just like a sport team : You can change all the player and it still keeps the same name, but it have nothing to do with what it was. Heck, if Capcom as the same cast today as in the nineties, it would still launch tons of experimental fighters instead of overfocussing on street fighters!

Yeah, for how much of a pessimist Mike is, I have a feeling that the SG community could easily raise enough money for at least one more character, if not multiple.
Yeah with this fanbase they could probably fund another two characters at least.
But I think Mike and the rest of the team aren't keen on the idea of another indiegogo out of principle, the desire to pick the next characters for themselves and a desire to work for proper salaries. (Please do forgive me for putting words in other people's mouths)
They just NEED to get some publisher to back them, so they can get funding and representation.

Let's just hope that they make oodles from the Vita and PS4 ports.

Annie time?

Definitely Annie time.

Reactions: ElementFree
Money FOR Annie.

When's that?

Power of the Skullheart

First, look at what happened to Juju...

Her loss is not worth to be remembered. I blame it on that fool.

I have a feeling that the SG community could easily raise enough money for at least one more character, if not multiple.

I like that optimism.

Reactions: Lunerstep
Hell, the fanbase has shown they want a new character so bad they'd be willing to help with the art and animation as well!
"Willing to help" and "can do work up to Lab Zero standards" are not the same thing. And while other people may be willing to work for free, WE ARE NOT. We already have been, and we're done with that. :^P

But you know what they say. Free labour is good for the spirit :3

Status
Not open for further replies.