• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Indivisible: Lab Zero's Action-RPG! (General Discussion)

What if he can control the trajectory of his bullets to not hit teammates? like, you know.....Hol Horse.

"My stand is a gun, a sword could never defeat a gun"

Been thinking about the way the prototype plays and I thought man it sucks that meters don't charge up while characters are running back to their spots. The run back then the turn around then the wait for the meters to charge up is the "dead" part of the battle from what i've played. most notably when you get the enemy pushed back really far. Anyone else feel the same?

then i thought What would be a good way to fill/make useful that space in the game play?

I was thinking of a "hold position" button/command so instead of having to run all the way back you can make a character stay where ever they are when they finish their attack. or the hold position button can be used when ever your character isn't attacking, like when they are running back to default position.

This would speed up meter gain in that the character can charge up where ever they are without having to go to the original position. It also splits your team up so they aren't hit by multy character hitting moves as easily since your characters won't be grouped together. the balancing draw backs would be you would have to get a little more creative in the timing of your combos since the positions are variable. Its also a little harder to block with the correct character since they're positions can be spaced out. The enemy can "hold position" too so they could camp out in front of one of your separated characters and make you have to split your attention between your grouped characters and your separated characters.

so "hold position" can be mapped to L2. L2+character button sets that character to hold position mode press again to turn off. and wallah interesting way to fill/use that dead space.

The only hick up to current gameplay I see with this idea is you could possibly Keep the enemy from taking action by continuously flipping "hold position" on and off during your characters run back. maybe hold position can only be used by each character once per turn that could maybe fix that.

TLDR:
Thinking of game design solution to a dead part of of the prototypes battle system. That metroid stream with mike got the wanna be game designer in me going.

One of the things is there's a throwback to FinalFantasy (and others that "step forward then back") where you don't gain "Time" when they are doing their thing. In this instance, the party returning to their starting points is this style. You arn't supposed to gain meter and neither does the enemy. It's a simple point to be built into the fight, and the "run back" can be used to space combos too. This system prevents things from getting out of hand by limiting combos to a certain length, so things like Enemies can't chain combo you till death and vise versa.
kitteach.png

Last edited:
Been thinking about the way the prototype plays and I thought man it sucks that meters don't charge up while characters are running back to their spots. The run back then the turn around then the wait for the meters to charge up is the "dead" part of the battle from what i've played. most notably when you get the enemy pushed back really far. Anyone else feel the same?
So, the original idea was that moving back to idle positions would count as "neutral", the same way standing there does. But I didn't have enough time to do that for the prototype.
....yet. :^)

This system prevents things from getting out of hand by limiting combos to a certain length, so things like Enemies can't chain combo you till death and vise versa.
Allowing meter to be gained during movement back to idle positions would mean it applies to both sides, so it wouldn't extend combos or allow enemies to stomp you any more than it does now, because the end of a 'turn' is still at the same point.
It would just make things faster during that single part.

Hey, i have a question about the arstyle. I was doing some fanarts and something got me curious, so, if someone in the art team could me answer that, is more curiosity, i would love to know.

Like, in skullgirls i didn't notice much at first, but with tungar, in Indivisble, and Ajna's father in the trailer is something more visible. Like, how scars are just those "holes" with white inside of them, what is the idea behind that? why scars are represented that way? like, it looks awesome, but i don't remember seeing that before, so, it is very unique it seems, so, i would love to know if there is something behind the way scars and wounds are represented in both SG and Indivisible.

To me, scarring has always been a lighter pigment of color, as the skin isn't perfectly healed. Like, I have a burn on my leg that's almost pure white compaired to my softer tone of my skin. Plus I've seen it quite often in anime where a scar is indeed a lighter - to - white pigment, while being indented on most.

Last edited:
why scars are represented that way?

Just the way dark skin can scar if your lucky. Alot of dark skinned people i know get keloids when they scar for some reason. Lucky me i get tungar scars :P.

Like, in skullgirls i didn't notice much at first, but with tungar, in Indivisble, and Ajna's father in the trailer is something more visible. Like, how scars are just those "holes" with white inside of them, what is the idea behind that?
Scars can heal in a variety of ways. Sometimes they form bumps protruding out from the skin, and sometimes they leave a depression. The color of the tissue can also vary a lot. This is just the L0 team's particular style of drawing scars.

I never thought this day would come so soon, mustache gun is a big fave; a cowboy with armor pieces, quite a bizarre idea. The fact his gun is so big makes him look as short as I thought, and his feet are so tiny. He's adorable. He reminds me of Cocco Bill somehow?

I mean, guns can break down, guns can jam, you can run out of ammo, bullets go through targets/ricochet and you risk hitting things (like teammates) you really don't want to hit, guns are loud...

(Source - Just gonna put this up here I guess)
To be fair, the revolver design is VERY UNLIKELY to jam. If anything messes up it would be faulty ammunition. Revolver action is very clean-cut and precise. BUT YES limited capacity would be the primary drawback, especially depending on the model of said weapon. Single-Action revolvers didn't have a chamber that swings out for the most part, so it could only be manually cleared and loaded one round at a time (THIS RELOAD TIME IS EXHILARATING).

However drawbacks like recoil wouldn't be present when in the form of a rifle. Being able to shoulder a weapon increases stability/handling of a weapon. Firing speed can vary. Revolvers, in general, have a heavy trigger pull, making it difficult to rapid fire. Pulling the hammer back alleviates this. The hammer on this particular rifle appears to be rather prominent, so who knows, maybe he'll have a fanning the hammer technique for his revolver-rifle. That would be impressive and difficult but I can see it happening! Oh, and also depending on how old-fashioned they wanna get with the revolver design, Single Action revolvers also HAD to have the hammer drawn back before you could fire at all. So this would further slow down ones fire. Unless we get some fannin'. Ya.

Revolvers are pretty cool. Also fantasy, also video games.

....Carry On.

Last edited:
The weapon design itself was inspired by a Russian-designed revolver shotgun, though Alex made some tweaks from my original to give it a more noticeable silhouette. I love break action designs, but we'll see if it needs to function more like a swing.

Speaking of which, would people like to see concept designs? Normally, these are things we'd reserve for a while, but it might help to drum up some additional interest. I might host a stream on the Lab Zero channel next week regarding design.

Speaking of which, would people like to see concept designs? Normally, these are things we'd reserve for a while, but it might help to drum up some additional interest. I might host a stream on the Lab Zero channel next week regarding design.
Yes and yes

I have never before heard you mention guns. EVER. Wow.
I may have... known a thing or two about guns in a past life. IT'S NOT SOMETHING THAT COMES UP OFTEN! Also not a great conversation starter.

The weapon design itself was inspired by a Russian-designed revolver shotgun, though Alex made some tweaks from my original to give it a more noticeable silhouette. I love break action designs, but we'll see if it needs to function more like a swing.

I think something like that would be neat especially if you can go over inspiration or the like involved in the concept!

By the way, @Mike_Z, what does process of designing playstyles for characters looks like in Indi? Is it like SG where you look at char's appearance and equipment and think what kind of gameplay purpose they could serve?

Edit: were their designs created first or it went like "we need someone to fill this role" sometime?
Also how many moves do you design for them? 3+super or do they have more expanded movelist?

It might be an incredibly impractical to wield/make new technology for them. This kind of transition isn't done quickly.
Ah this is late, but I meant more of an aesthetic thing. It seems unfitting when you have someone wielding guns right next to someone using an axe. Yes, this is something that has happened as people were still transitioning to new technology but I can't help but feel it looks weird.

Also yes please I want concept art

Ah man this is late, but I meant more of an aesthetic thing. It seems unfitting when you have someone wielding guns right next to someone using an axe. Yes, this is something that has happened as people were still transitioning to new technology but I can't help but feel it looks weird.

Also yes please I want concept art
Here's something related:

Ah man this is late, but I meant more of an aesthetic thing. It seems unfitting when you have someone wielding guns right next to someone using an axe. Yes, this is something that has happened as people were still transitioning to new technology but I can't help but feel it looks weird.
Mm. I get your point. I'm used to seeing primitive guns together with more primitive weapons in RPGs I like so I don't think it's clashing at all. But if I was to see something like an automatic pistol instead of an early gun, I'd think it looks terrible. So yeah, I guess where we draw the line is subjective.

Also: hell yeah! I sure want to see that concept art!

Good thing they didn't screw up the reddit board name, else it would have been filled with memes of people using invisible stuff
Maybe they did... it just wasn't done... visibly...

Seriously, though, it just looks like a standard autocorrect mistake with twitter accounts that were set up to send the same messages as each other - hardly the end of the world (hey, it may even have helped if people were intrigued by the idea of an invisible game).

Concept art? Yes please!

Especially with something so outside the usual game-setting, I think people are having a hard time jumping from what the game is to what the game could be. I myself kind of forgot that the rest of the game won't be "ruined temple setting."

Speculation: Vasco could still be related to the SE Asian aesthetic. I recall something about Opium Wars with gun-toting British soldiers fighting China, so maybe Vasco's related to that period of history? I could be completely off-base, so somebody more knowledgeable is feel free to shoot me down.

So, the original idea was that moving back to idle positions would count as "neutral", the same way standing there does. But I didn't have enough time to do that for the prototype.
....yet. :^)

Oh, this reminds me, how much can we expect in the way of updates to the prototype over the course of the campaign? Can we expect new features that don't involve new art, or just bugfixes and tweaks?

Speculation: Vasco could still be related to the SE Asian aesthetic. I recall something about Opium Wars with gun-toting British soldiers fighting China, so maybe Vasco's related to that period of history? I could be completely off-base, so somebody more knowledgeable is feel free to shoot me down.

I'm ultimate dookie at geography, but Portuguese explorer, Vasco da Gama was the first european to reach India by sea. This may put him somewhere of relevance within the setting of Indivisible. This is mostly just reaching super hard based on his name. I'm sure there are other Vasco's of consequence in history.

I look forward to hearing more about Vasco da gunna.

I never thought this day would come so soon, mustache gun is a big fave; a cowboy with armor pieces, quite a bizarre idea. The fact his gun is so big makes him look as short as I thought, and his feet are so tiny. He's adorable. He reminds me of Cocco Bill somehow?
A Cocco Bill alternate palette could have been a thing if it wasn't something maybe only Italians would get :(

Good thing they didn't screw up the reddit board name, else it would have been filled with memes of people using invisible stuff

Considering the stupid stuff I've heard from Reddit, I wouldn't be surprised if /r/Invisible was already taken anyways.

I may have... known a thing or two about guns in a past life.
Thuggabee?

By the way, @Mike_Z, [questions]
Ask all this stuff when I do a stream!

Oh, this reminds me, how much can we expect in the way of updates to the prototype over the course of the campaign? Can we expect new features that don't involve new art, or just bugfixes and tweaks?
What's the difference between a feature and a tweak?

Back