• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Japan's views on the characters populairty (NOT GAMEPLAY)

The hell is-? Are we diving into titty politics now?

From that page:
Man, that escalated really quickly.
You misunderstand the great online waifu war of Lolis vs. Boobs.
I don't get it, Whats that say?
I put it in Google Translate:
It's basically saying that the two young (loli) characters won (Marie and Peacock) while the big-boobed characters (Parasoul and Cerebella) came unexpectantly last; excluding Valentine who came third and as she has the biggest boobs of all falls into the expected archetype of boobs=votes.

...I can't believe the amount of times I said 'boobs' in that sentence...

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure Filia being chubby isn't a moot point in Japan. In fact I'm pretty sure that's one of the reasons to why she's popular! You have to remember that even though in the poll she seems low, there is literally 1 vote difference between her and Painwheel, and is only 28 votes away from Ms. Fortune and 46 votes away from Valentine.

Last edited:
Always nice to learn how a different nation approaches the rich gameplay of Skullgirls!

Do they like grapplers?
Is Inuchiyo's liking for rushdown chars a rule or an exception?
Is Fukua still considered overpowered after the recent changes?

This is gonna be a good read on the trends in Japan's competitive playerba-
<reads thread>
-sigh.

Always nice to learn how a different nation approaches the rich gameplay of Skullgirls!

Do they like grapplers?

<reads thread>
-sigh.
Well, the title didn't say gameplay :v
And it isn't in the gameplay section

Do they like grapplers?

<reads thread>
-sigh.
I am so disappointed that you expected any different from us.

I wonder how they feel about characters like Adam or Taliesin. I've seen next to no fanart of Adam on pixiv, and some stuff of Taly (the highlight of which is Muse drowning him).

Reactions: evacino
You misunderstand the great online waifu war of Lolis vs. Boobs.
It's basically saying that the two young characters won (Marie and Peacock) while the big-boobed characters (Parasoul and Cerebella) came unexpectantly last; excluding Valentine who came third and as she has the biggest boobs of all falls into the expected archetype of boobs=votes.

...I can't believe the amount of times I said 'boobs' in that sentence...

Yea that explains it. I guess Val stole the boob vote from Para & bella.

I always thought Japan liked Val because she's a Tsundere

The japanese view is from under Filia's skirt...

But seriously, Valentine is a semi-sadistic, sexy Ninja Nurse with big tits that's prone to panty-shots. Being older doesn't mean much at that point. She'll just become an "ojou-sama".
Japan doesnt wanna look under the skirt of a slightly overweight girl.
Japan confirmed for hating Brazilian booty
Japan confirmed for hating big asses in general.
They hate two characters that have large and beautiful booties.

And those monsters probably think squigly's humongous booty is the worst part of her character.
Nuke Japan
I agree with you but for reasons different than your reasons

They like Val because once they saw her ending, they thought she was perfect shipping material for Painwheel.

Came in here expecting translation of high level japan SG players' opinion of the characters and their strengths/weaknesses/matchups/state of meta.

I am sad.
Well, the title didn't say gameplay :v
And it isn't in the gameplay section

The title change is appreciated.

But I'm slowly coming to the realization that I might have unintentionally spawned an all-out weeaboo waifu appreciation thread. What have I created?!

The title change is appreciated.

But I'm slowly coming to the realization that I might have unintentionally spawned an all-out weeaboo waifu appreciation thread. What have I created?!

Welcome to Skulheart you give us a poll we will fight to the death over the characters.

I suddenly just realized why Fukua is called Blowfish-Chan!

Fukua's name is spelt 'フクア', and blowfish is spelt 'フグ'. The first two kana are near identical as blowfish (Fugu) is used in Fukua! My mind just imploded right now.

Last edited:
Okay that's a much better excuse. I can accept that one, that's like a "what do you know" coincidence.

double is loved everywhere
DOUBLE FUN ADVENTURE.png

Since this isn't about gameplay, does anyone know where to find their opinions on the gameplay?

Since this isn't about gameplay, does anyone know where to find their opinions on the gameplay?
I don't believe it. Not only have I found a Japanese combo site, but it also doubles as a Skullgirls fourm! It has gameplay strategies for each character (even Baewulf)! I need to look into it more though to see to what extent it goes analysis-wise.

Also good ol' Poccola_margherita0141 on YouTube uploaded a tutorial a while ago. It's very basic, but since there was very little info on the game outside of English at the time it was probably what helped a lot of players start out. Dunno, just a bonus fact I guess.

EDIT: I just checked it out. It definitely has a lot of combos but that pretty much seems to be the extent of it. If you want to see the main page with Google Translate here is the link. Character threads are at the top of the page and the boobs and bitches thread in just underneath. Doesn't seem to be as big as I initially thought, but maybe it's still worth a look.

Last edited:
Eh, I don't know about Google Translate. Linguee's a lot more reliable from what I've heard.

Eh, I don't know about Google Translate. Linguee's a lot more reliable from what I've heard.
It isn't reliable. But not everyone speaks Japanese and I'm too lazy tired to do it myself. I have never heard of Linguee before but if it's more accurate use that instead! I posted the link in original Japanese as well at the start of my post, so I guess you could copy-paste it that way.

Last edited:
I suddenly just realized why Fukua is called Blowfish-Chan!

Fukua's name is spelt 'フクア', and blowfish is spelt 'フグ'. The first two kanji
Be careful. Kanji =/= equal kana. Kanji is a separate set of characters. 頭 as opposed to あたま and アタマ. The first is kanji, the second two are kana.

THE MORE YOU KNOW

Reactions: Wenzel and evacino
Be careful. Kanji =/= equal kana. Kanji is a separate set of characters. 頭 as opposed to あたま as opposed to アタマ. All different sets of kana.

THE MORE YOU KNOW
Oh shiz, you're right! I tend to instinctively use 'kanji' instead of kana since I believe that's the alphabet they tend to use when converting it to English through Romanji; so I'm used to it being called that since I followed updates on games that came out in Japan first (like back in the days of gen 2 Pokémon for example). Thanks for telling me - I fixed that mistake in my post so it says 'kana' now.

Japan has four alphabets: Romaji, Hiragana, Katakana, and Kanji. It's confusing. I confuse.

Last edited:
From that page:

Man, that escalated really quickly.

For the people arguing over Google Translate, the joke is that the first line straight up says "Are Japanese people lolicons?!"

I'm not fluent or anything but I do know a fair bit of Japanese.

Reactions: EA575 and evacino
the salt over buta chan and cerebella is super real

and its all true too

For the people arguing over Google Translate, the joke is that the first line straight up says "Are Japanese people lolicons?!"

I'm not fluent or anything but I do know a fair bit of Japanese.
Bingo.

I think someone brought up a link in the other thread that showed people comparing Filia's weight to other female stars in fighting games. And Filia was heavier by double digits.

...Of course the comparison is completely fucking pointless, seeing as how not a single other character they used had some sort of large monster seemingly made of meat and bones attached to them.

I always hated the trend of calling Filia fat or overweight. It's less of a joke and more of an example of people jumping on a slightly chubby character and calling her a "pig", "cow", or "whale". I mean, sheesh, how many girls have gone through that in the past week? Scratch that, day?
......Honestly I'm surprised people consider her "slightly chubby". I can see people arguing that she's thick (i.e. a little "extra" in all the right places), but chubby? People do realize that bony models and super lean athletes aren't the norm, right? We have thousands of years worth of sculptures and pictures of women with curves (excluding deviant art fetishist). You'd think people would notice a pattern...

Reactions: Dr.Sanity
......Honestly I'm surprised people consider her "slightly chubby". I can see people arguing that she's thick (i.e. a little "extra" in all the right places), but chubby? People do realize that bony models and super lean athletes aren't the norm, right? We have thousands of years worth of sculptures and pictures of women with curves (excluding deviant art fetishist). You'd think people would notice a pattern...
averages for body shapes change all the time throughout history.
I'm sure they poke fun of her pudginess out of affection rather than as a mocking term.

I'm sure they poke fun of her pudginess out of affection rather than as a mocking term.
Nah they say it out of spite. Since they prefer little girls and skinny aliens with Triple H sized breasts.

Sad they cant see the glory that are Filia's curves, large booty, and soft, soft, thick thighs

Reactions: Covenant
IIRC Those changes are more of a fluxuation than a constant slope of getting bigger or smaller And those fluxuationa rent that strong. Honestly the biggest changes were in height and brain size, not the overall proportions.

And concerning "poking fun", I didn't take them seriously, but I see it so much online that it gets tiresome. I mean when the title of a video is, for example, "chubby girls falls overboard" but the girl is 6 feet tall and relatively lean(avereage), but has hips and a butt.....it really makes you question what's wrong with the standards people are taught. I love women of (almost) all sizes, but the definitions of fat, chubby, and obese have been royally f***ed during the last 4 or 5 decades.