• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

...Josh's struggle to not suck...

@mcpeanuts what is your bnb combo that you use, what is your secondary combo, and what is the reset combo that you use? I am planning on learning that so I can learn what to expect from you during combos. I'm not as afraid of your neutral and now I must beat your set play and my only way to do that is to know your options.
Assuming you mean with Peacock.

BnB
c.LP c.MK c.HP s.HK + Call Beat Extend xx M Item (hold),
j.LK j.HK, <-------- Reset after this
release item,
j.MK j.HK,
j.MP j.HK,
j.HP ADC,
j.LP j.MP,
c.LP c.MP c.MK c.HP xx M Gun xx Argus

At the reset point I can go left right or air grab. If I go left or right I can just do the entire above combo, I have enough undizzy left over for it. If I air grab I have an item charged so I need to do a modified version of my air grab combo which is this:

Air grab,
release level 3 item,
j.HP ADC,
j.LK j.HK, land,
Call Beat Extend + M Item (hold),
j.LP j.LK j.HK <----- optionally I can do the reset again here
c.LP c.MP c.MK c.HP xx M Gun xx Argus

Secondary BnB for when Big Band is unavailable or dead
c.LP c.MK c.HP s.HK xx M item (release immediately),
dash c.LP s.MK,
j.HP ADC,
j.LK j.HK, land,
M item (release immediately),
j.MP j.HP ADC,
j.LP j.MP,
c.LK c.MP c.MK c.HP xx M Gun xx Argus

You may want to ask Deer the same set of questions given he did beat you 3-0 :)

I don't care about beating deer. He's not going to summer jam.

gee! you'd think improving would come first!
that's the only way you'll even stand a chance at summer jam, because your double is of average skill atm.

like, there's a huge skill gap between your filia/fukua.

here's the bad part.
she's your anchor lmfao.

Enough. Josh its not bad to ask of other's input. Just make sure to ask a question on a specific situation. Not a vague question.

Also: it does not matter how many options you know the opponent can make. As long as they make the better read. They are the victor. But i'm sure you know that so nevermind.

I would like to drop tech in here with the same team setup if you dont mind though

@Dreamepitaph I don't use cilia slide I use l bomber but the more I look at it the more I think I can use French twist more for some of those resets. Also my Fukua bnb doesn't have c.mk till the last chain why are you using it so early in that combo? I can't think of any reason to use it early because it can't be used to tick throw or to combo a shadow unless of course I missed something. But real talk I think I'm ok on Fukua and Filia tech solo wise and now I just need assist based resets and combos so I can further make my team scarier then I think it already is

You can still use L bomber with the filia thing.

And also i'm taking anybody's Bnb into account. c.mk being used early is for stuff only i know but you wouldn't care to know so forget that. these are merely concepts to use or not use. you can use french twist with the Filia reset. I'll continue to Explore your team for team tech and share if i found anything particularly fun and useful to your specific team so that anyone else may get some sort of idea from it.

You are free to use or not use this tech anyhow.

Special notes: Doesn't work on band.double,peacock.

Peacock's hurtboxes are too small in the air
Band and double are just too fat.
Parasoul is kinda difficult to get the reset off.
You can psyche cancel to appear on the same side and do things!

Again these are just concepts with your team comp and i like finding fun stuff with it.

So at this point I'm hoping that I do well at a major... I've been spending time learning Double, Filia, and Fukua further and can now say that I think that I am at my peak now and I can finally stop learning new tech and now focus on my decision making and player analysis rather then trying to base my training on coming up with as many resets as I can.

For most of my matchups I'm really liking Double, Filia, Fukua cause it puts my set play character out first and leaves my real team for last. Any ways we shall see how my training actually pays off... ;_;

So after SJ I feel pretty good about my progress. I still think I have areas that I need to improve in particular.

1.) I need to understand how to adjust my play style faster depending on the match up and the opponent because that kills me in short sets
2.) I need to play on the ground more and really utilize basic mind games
3.) I have to stop calling assists cause it keeps getting me in trouble
4.) FUCK ELIZA AND FORTUNE
5.) Stop getting so nervous when I play
6.) Need to stop falling back on my reactions and instincts to get in because it doesn't work on patient players

So after playing with m shadow for a while I've decided to use it.
I do have several problems with it though:
It sucks as a reversal
I can't stay in with it
There is no way to use it to increase damage for fillia

That being said it does do the following
It gives me access to 8.3 k universal double combos
Sets up stupid resets for double
Allows Filia to just dance around

Also I've found a better use for an assist that never considered. Using it during stage 1 of a combo. I now have a 7.8k midscreen Fukua combo because of this.

Patiently waiting till Friday when I can once again play online

I'm discouraged about my performance and my ability to adapt. All the time and effort I put into combos, resets, and theory all seems to lead me to another plateau. I'm honestly lost at this point and I can feel myself regressing and getting angry about games.

i don't remember details and stuff, i could probably point things out when you upload our set but I remember thinking that you reset at the same point in the same ways so I could adapt to it after the first few games. IIRC you won the first 2 and then I won like 7 until you won the next one (and then I had to go and we didn't finish ;_;). After a few games I could more or less guess what you were going to do so even after you got a hit it didn't do much for you. Neutral-wise I don't really remember a lot but I think you call M shadow defensively a lot when obviously it doesn't do much for you in that situation. I don't really remember anything else though, just that I definitely thought to myself "he's gonna reset here every time and it's probably gonna be this reset" so I could get out most of the time after I figured it out.

yeah I've given up on m.shadow it does not compliment my style at all. I want an assist that I can call on defense and rush in with. Which is why I'm using H. Drill again and M bomber. I've stopped caring about damage when I can just outsmart my opponent. But I still don't feel like I'm getting any where

This will prolly sound really really really weird. but like, Respect your opponent?

What I mean is when you go into character select you prolly already know what the point character can do. but what i'm saying is that you need to work on your round start. There are three types of actions. Neutral, Offensive and defensive action.

Neutral action would be Neutral jump block or just block.

This is good because you do not give up space and allows you to look at what the opponent might like to do during round start. Offensive action is what i see you and few other people do.

Offensive action: moving forward.

Just moving forward is telling the opponent that you want to attack you. In round start this is either saying: yes I want to destroy you, I want to kill this point character as fast as possible. The offensive action is generally seen vs. peacock as you want to kill this character.

Defensive action is used to safely get back and feel your opponent out.

Neutral action allows you to keep your ground while seeing what the opponent likes to do. If they choose the defensive option they just used up a bit of resource (the spacing to the corner).

M shadow is more used for offense in a way that the opponent will have to respect that there is an incoming launcher heading their way. Calling it defensively doesn't really do much since it launches them towards you and you do not want that if you're close to getting hit.

Also you do some weird confirms sometimes. Which is apparent with double. You just need to fix those slightly awkward kinks. I also was commentating during your fight with akindhobo. the main problem was that you gave hobo too many chances to play. When you reset you would always do it on the ground and would always grab. A grab reset is only 50% and gives more meter to the opponent. You never once reset him in the air to stop him tagging or doing sbo into dynamo.

If its something about neutral. Then you just need to be more comfortable with staying still for a bit longer and find a time to challenge the opponent. If its something about Resets and how to beat the opponent. Then Look at the character you're facing and Find all the resets that keep the character from doing their things. Also pay attention to the opponent's bar cause that's a resource and in SG, people will use that resource.

I think I made a dime-x level post and now i shall see myself out shortly.

TL;DR: Take more time to feel out your opponent via Defensive action and then gather info. If you can figure out the opponent you can kill the character by limiting their options. Also stop fucking up simple double conversions.

Last edited:
Also. Your round start tells alot about your overall play style. so please choose the more conservative option, Don't show be ready to show your opponent what's your shit and what's not your shit in the first 10 seconds like that.. For neutral here's a few tips.
  • Don't pushblock so much in the air. You're stuck in the air and the opponent is back on the ground ready to to mix you up any way they can.
  • Chicken block more so you can get back to the ground faster and then you can pushblock from there.
  • IF in the event you happened to catch the opponent's assist bleeding and you kill the point character and the assist slipped out. You can use your otg(if you kept it) and snap the dead character once they ground bounced. This allows you to switch up the order after you just killed a character. This also takes out red health for the anchor if you happened to hit the anchor.
This is minor stuff but they really help if you're stuck blocking.

Most teams people faced you prolly don't even have to snap. However you may want to think about composition. Snapping is good. Do it. especially if an assist is stopping you from completely winning the match.

Reactions: Yomabuddy
Here are some recent matches where I've been trying to be more random.

And here are a few games against Pickles where I just auto pilot and get smacked

@joshb911 @Pickles

ddbffa78f2.jpg
Ok this is where you decide your round start. You chose back dash. Overall a good start since you were gonna play a bit with pickles anyways.

4678230901.jpg

Why are you pressing a button when he's higher than you? This is where you lost this match tbh. cause then the following happens.
6f2bd05568.jpg

Not too long after you ended up blocking low due to filia gaining momentum. Why pickles didn't confirm after that? i have no clue.

you pushblocked the first hit. Problem is that pickles did j.lp,j.lk. By pushblocking that Filia is now even more +. You still attempted to press a button to counterattack. Stop it. your first order should be return back to neutral since you're in the phase where you got hit and you don't want to get hit in skullgirls. You should focus on managing your space. The best thing about filia is that she move and take up an opponent's space in a short amount of time. Unfortunately you died after this.
you called m shadow in the corner....never do this and then you did the josh version of the double conversion. Also never do this. just c.lk,s.hk, j.lp,j.mk,j.hk,barrel loop. I'm playing double right now and i can tell you it works
You did a reset with three bars......... just do your combo and finish it off with everyone's level 1, ending it with Catheads and stuff
I think the main problem with you is that you haven't yet learned how to properly defend in skullgirls. Also don't know how to properly reset in the land of skullgirls. Sometimes i look at your fights and i wonder if it actually hurts your fingers to do Nothing. you jump and its always with a button rising. You dont monitor the situation you don't try to monopolize space. you just bulldoze like a brute and being a straight up savage just isn't going to cut it if someone know how to fight proper.

Don't mess up your conversions. especially easy ones like double's grab. its too costly to mess up since you got tech roll in this game and there's no air tech or anything like persona or melty or what have you. Work on getting better conversions. Work on learning to stay still at times. Work to get your space back so that you can Plan your next approach. cause any round start any round any moment. If your play is faulty people will take advantage of it. (also in 20 minutes you made so many mistakes so i have to wrap it up) Good luck!

I wouldn't say I made a particular effort to show you cause it's the only throw combo I know, but you had been saying a few days earlier that you couldn't do barrel loop off throw so hopefully watching me do it helped? i dunno

but going on what twerk said, duck gave me some really good advice last week or so after we finished a set, I was telling him that I wasn't sure how to get out of his pressure and that I could never press anything to get out. He basically said you don't have to press a button, just wait for an opportunity to present itself, and I think that really helped. Filia is a character that really has to go in but you don't always have to go ham all the time. Play patiently and wait for an opportunity to present itself. As filia your normals are of course not really as good as other characters so your gameplan is less about trying to throw out good normals and look for a hit, and more about using your mobility to capitalize on mistakes your opponents make, but you have to wait for them to make that mistake. I cant give advice on characters other than filia but maybe this will help. (and don't necessarily take my gameplay as an idea of what to do, I'm much better at knowing what I'm supposed to do than actually doing it lol)

Now I know this is gonna sound like an excuse but I'm gonna say it anyways. The reason I play like this is because I can't process what's going on online. I don't know if it's because of how crappy my connection always is (which should not be a problem in about 2 weeks when I upgrade my internet again....) or if it's just nerves but yes I don't defend because I can't see what to block. This is very apparent when I fight anyone with a ground overhead or an instant over head I literally don't see it and I don't want to just default to block high when I don't know if it's actually a high. I played a long set with @Fedora_Ninja yesterday in Melty and most of the time I was blocking in neutral and I tried to counter attack when I saw an opening this was because I wasn't afraid of a tick throw or any of the other things that are near impossible to react to in SG. It sounds like an excuse but I don't know how to guess and I probably will never learn how to guess properly in a game where you have a 1/5 chance of guessing correctly during a reset. However if someone does the same thing over and over again it's easy to adjust but players that are random or go overhead every other time will pretty much beat me every time...

And I looked into why I was missing the barrel loops off throw and it's because I was hitting the opponent either hit the ground and bounce a little bit or a I was starting the combo to early. So to compensate I just do a gun shot off s.hk then continue combo.

Thanks for the advice and I'll continue to look into these things

you had been saying a few days earlier that you couldn't do barrel loop off throw so hopefully watching me do it helped?
doing barrel loop off throw is a matter of
flesh step > c.lk > s.mk x2 (delay both kicks) > s.hk
it brings them back to a normal level in the air, but not so high that you completely lose control of the combo

Reactions: joshb911
doing barrel loop off throw is a matter of
flesh step > c.lk > s.mk x2 (delay both kicks) > s.hk
it brings them back to a normal level in the air, but not so high that you completely lose control of the combo
Thank you! This would explain why I'm having trouble

Yeah I found an alternative method to convert off of throw that doesn't require any delaying off s.mk. just use s.mp instead. It only does like 70 less damage

What are the best ways to get around peacock as fillia or double?

instant air dashing frds. It puts Filia right in Peacock's deadzone.

for double spam lugar shots and any time to hit Peacock confirm into Swag Wagon super. That or use flesh step from time to time.

Flashbacks to luger spam into swag wagon cpu double

Reactions: Sparties
So at this point I'm kind of lost. Pretty much every match goes as follows: if I get in I win, if my opponent gets in they usually win. So needless to say I don't know what else to work on......

So at this point I'm kind of lost. Pretty much every match goes as follows: if I get in I win, if my opponent gets in they usually win. So needless to say I don't know what else to work on......
If you're losing when your opponent gets in once it sounds like you need to work on defense.

If you're losing when your opponent gets in once it sounds like you need to work on defense.
How do you practice that? I've started taking mental notes on tendencies of setplay and trying to avoid risky reversals but besides that I'm ignorant on how to defend. The 2 matchups that stick out the most to me are parasoul and squigly where I have to guess low or high 3 times during a block string. But real talk how do you train to defend?

How do you practice that? I've started taking mental notes on tendencies of setplay and trying to avoid risky reversals but besides that I'm ignorant on how to defend. The 2 matchups that stick out the most to me are parasoul and squigly where I have to guess low or high 3 times during a block string. But real talk how do you train to defend?
Well, there's a couple ways I know of.

One is in training mode, you can set up the dummy to do one of up to 3 mixups at random. You can record different things on recordings 1, 2, and 3, then set it to play back randomly. This is good for practicing reacting to reactable mixups like Squigly's f.HP or Parasoul's f.LP or b.HK.

The other is a little more broad, just play matches and focus on defense. I think it helps to focus on a specific thing, like "I am going to work on late throw techs", and you try to look for air throw/strike resets and try to block the strike and late tech the throw. Obviously when you're just focusing on one specific thing defensively, there will be times where your opponent doesn't do that thing; like in this example, instead of an air reset, they restand and go high/low or whatever. Don't worry about that. It doesn't matter if you get hit or if you lose, it only matters if you're getting better at the thing you're working on. Personally I find it's easiest to work on this kind of thing in quick match; if you play a set with someone, after a few games they'll generally notice any tendencies you have on defense, and then you won't be able to work on that thing anymore.

Reactions: joshb911
So after watching the VOD of party python I'm pretty upset with myself... I keep going for optimal damage and I drop it every time. So I think my real issue isn't defence it's combo reliability... My Fukua BNB I think is the most consistent one I have... So I guess I need to look into some simpler combos that I'm less likely to drop online and only use the optimal ones where it's gonna kill....

Reactions: Pickles
So after watching the VOD of party python I'm pretty upset with myself... I keep going for optimal damage and I drop it every time. So I think my real issue isn't defence it's combo reliability... My Fukua BNB I think is the most consistent one I have... So I guess I need to look into some simpler combos that I'm less likely to drop online and only use the optimal ones where it's gonna kill....
IDK the biggest problem might still be defense. But it wouldn't hurt to work on getting the combos more consistently.

Reactions: Sparties
I guess I need to look into some simpler combos that I'm less likely to drop online and only use the optimal ones where it's gonna kill....
This doesn't make sense?
Those optimal combos will never kill, because you will always drop them.

Going for easy stuff when the easy stuff is sufficient (ie you land a clean hit as the opponent has 4k life) is logical, but only going for high damage when you really really really need it just won't work - you currently drop the combo you go for after every hit, now you plan to do it much less often and think the frequency you manage to land it at will go up?

Completely optimized combos aren't even that important. I doubt I've done my fully optimized stuff more than a dozen times in tournament play. I spend way more effort getting corner carry and by the nature of resets, I rarely have full undizzy to work with when going for a kill combo.

Reactions: Pickles