• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

...Josh's struggle to not suck...

So in my never ending struggle to not suck at skullgirls I have realized two major problems in my approach.

1. Not enough time spent playing beta
2. Not enough time doing isolated lab work

Ok first and for most I want to apologize to the entire skullheart community for posting some many threads yesterday :(
I hope you can forgive me again for my compulsive decisions cause I really like this community

But any ways more random stuff I'm working on:
1. Getting a new stick (yo it's gonna be here in a week O.O thanks Alex Smith!!)
2. Working on the reset and bait spreadsheet (this is going to help me practice the characters a lot) thank to @WingZero and @Ravendeth for the reset suggestions :)
3. General execution practice (I'm getting to the point where I know to many combos and can't distinguish between when to use what ;-;)

Reactions: Midiman
I worked on some more stuff and played some matches with @DaydreamingSorc at my apartment (ggs dude I still don't count those 3 games as wins for you :P jk jk jk)

STUFF I'M WORKING ON!!!!!!
Filia
*Working on baits, reset setups, working on optimized combos more (gotta get dat damage)
*Working on my neutral even more (I will say I'm pretty confident in my neutral now with filia :D)
*Use cr.mk more -_-
*Use Shinyuken more cause I know I want to but I DONT!!!!!!!!
Fukua
my love I have been neglecting you..... Need to stop cheating on her with Filia 0.0
*My execution is such ass now with her and it saddens me -_-
*Use more resets and baits then I have now (Probably going to do this when I start her page in the compendium)
*Use drill more
*Use fireballs as a means to deal with peacock's bombs
*STAP CHEATING ON MY WOMEN!!!!!!!!
Double
*Need to work on my barrel loops and stuff (kind of just started playing her straight out the gate...)
*Learn Monster setups (cause they are god like)
*Figure out how to get in besides j.hp (cause that's boring...)
General
*Use cilia slide less cause poor double always gets rekt ;-;
*Figure out peacock more cause I still can not deal with her zoning and it enrages me....
*PW , Squig, and Eliza are still problem characters for me.... WHY CAN'T I HIT THEM EVER!!!!! STAP MASHING SUPERS ON ME! plz ;-;

So finally learned how to do duck's filia combo all the way through and realized it only does 6.1k...... Why did I spend all this time learning it again....... I feel like the first chain is the most important part of the combo but I don't know...

So once again I am without a stick ;_;
I can't go up now ;_;
why can't I just have a working stick ;_;

day four without a stick... the symptoms of skullfananidus are beginning to set in. The walls are starting to look like big green buttons that need to be pressed 0.0
HELP!!!!!!!!!
Real talk:
I've been playing melty blood and have figured out that I depend on reads and instinct way to much in skullgirls. I need to remember that I can not play this game with the same mindset so I need to work on making myself much more aggressive and much more random to get any where. Don't know when I'll have my stick (hopefully in the next day or so -_-) so until then melty it is?

Join us John...
Join the Skullfans...
JOINUSJOINUSJOINUSJOINUSJOINUSJOHNUSJOINUSJOINUSJOINUS

Join us john.
We are Skullfans.
You will be assimilated.

Skullfan? A label created by the Skullplayers to give voice to their destruction. In the end, what they chose to call us is irrelevant. We simply…are.

Last edited:
Reactions: Magma442
Stop spamming shit in my diary only I'm allowed to do that 0.0
giphy.gif

So after trying to learn pad I realize I can never play pad no matter how hard I try. The face buttons I'm fine with but the triggers I just can't understand. The Dpad also screws me up to no end.... How on earth does anyone play on those things.....

snip

it's because you're accustomed to a stick, i'm assuming.
i'd ask the same thing of fightstick users because i play on strictly d-pad. apparently my controller is also abnormal because the d-pad is where a joystick would typically be.
it's just the struggle of transitioning form one method to another. you'll get used to it.

it's because you're accustomed to a stick, i'm assuming.
i'd ask the same thing of fightstick users because i play on strictly d-pad. apparently my controller is also abnormal because the d-pad is where a joystick would typically be.
it's just the struggle of transitioning form one method to another. you'll get used to it.
But I don't want to play pad! I put 2 years into learning stick

But I don't want to play pad! I put 2 years into learning stick

what lmao go get a new stick, nurd

So done bitching time to actually get back to getting better.
I now have a new methodology: I plan on running sets with certain players and I'm going to dissect my matches and learn everything that went wrong and what I should of done. So in parallel to this I'm going simulate certain situations I get put in and learn how to best respond to different scenarios. I also intend to learn players tendencies by trying to tabulate certain situations and try to estimate what each player does the most. From this I hope to learn a lot but we shall see

Sounds like a great idea.

Honestly I think the biggest thing is recording matches. I *still* sometimes learn things from that training session we did with you, me, and Fedora, and that was many months ago now. Scenario training is an especially great way to use training mode by the way, both for offense and defense.

If you want to learn other players' tendencies, just throw out your best pressure/mixup string and see what the other guy's panic button is. Basically know your own setup and what the outcomes can be. Start from something familiar and limited, instead of guessing random habits from open neutral. Start countering their escape plan, and your mixups will have more layers than anything that's simply lab tested.

This should start to form a vague idea of what the other guy actually wants to do. Especially if you do that, and see what kind of movement someone usually starts in neutral. This gives you important information like what angle they usually want to attack from, and how they usually want to defend; use that information to counter their habits. You won't always know the whole picture, but it gets you in the good habit of thinking after every move, and paying attention to these tendencies.

Anyway I'm making it sound more complicated than it actually is, as usual. If you do it for long enough, you get used to doing it mid-match. Really it's just about being aware of what's happening around you, similar to looking in a rearview mirror to know what's coming next.

Reactions: dMags
So after playing a set with twerk and analyzing the matches I think I've found the main flaw in my style. I respect my opponent way to much!
Let me explain:
*I always think that my resets and crossup are going to be reacted to
*I believe that I'm to slow in my execution
*I doubt my own ability to scare my opponent
*I find myself in the corner to often

So my thoughts on how to fix this
I need to be more confident in my approach and ignore how good another player is
Other issues:
I block low to often.

Last edited:
@Dreamepitaph I know you already think I up back to much I use supers randomly and not calculatedly and I am to predictable. I agree with all of these but they all come down to me being scared and not playing my game. I let people bully me which is why I can't fight well against squig and Eliza. So I need to be more confident in my style and not assume my opponent is going to react to my resets. All of what I assume your going to say is related to my lack of confidence. Just watch the replays in beta and put the inputs on. I compared your inputs to mine and mine are sporadic compared to yours

Worked on some new reset setups for fukua that are not based on mk shadow. Fukua has access to a cross under set up that is ridiculously ambiguous and is very fast (like Filia fast to put it in perspective) I think I'm going to make a new combo that is centered around this set up.
Fought a long set with Ravendeth yesterday and once again cemented the fact that I block low to often. I also found I can PBGC things but when my opponent does not use typical blockstrings I get rekt by them. Played a first to 5 with ninja ggs. Played a few matches against Fenster and found I still can not react to parasouls high, low, throw game. I think I need to just set up a dummy to throw three scenarios at me all starting off cr.lk, cr.mk, s.hp (2), lp shot then run dash forward grab, dash forward pistol whip, dash forward grab and set it to random till I can block it every time.

E: don't ask me about the setup cause it's a secret for now 0.0

Last edited:
so on the endless list of things that can go wrong with something I now am without a computer.......
I am so boned for winterbrawl.

It's been barely a week since you got your stick and now this? Man.

It's been barely a week since you got your stick and now this? Man.
I'm gonna cry ;_;
Now I have to drop like $1000 on a new desktop. HOWEVER NOW I CAN STREAM IN HD!!!!!!!!

Please teach me how to stream in hd without a computer

Reactions: Muro and dMags
So after WB I've found some more problems with my gameplay....
*my execution is ass (this not being able to play is killing my combos)
*i need a better understanding of Filia
*i need to develop my own combos for double so I can utilize her god like reset potential

Reactions: Chip Blaster
So after doing some research I found out that you can play Filia and peacock for free in the PS3 trial version of skullgirls O.O

Now I can practice Filia again!!!!!!!!!!!
Also because of this discovery I now have a new corner combo:
cr.lk, s.mk, s.hp, jump, xxx, j.hp, ADC, j.hp,j.hk, s.mk, s.hp, j.mk, adc, j.mp, j.hk, s.lp(2), s.lk, s.mp, cr.mk, s.hk, QCB hk, fenerir 7543 damage

Last edited:
YO I'M BACK BITCHES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YALL READY FOR THIS COME BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YO GOD LIKE. NO MORE LAG ON SKULLGIRLS O.O
why didn't I update years ago O.O

So..... after finally getting my PC to work and recognize all my drives and stuff I am finally back to normal and thus the training resumes:
SO
Here's the game plan:

*Time to practice my execution more (especially with Filia)
*Time to develop some double resets off of s.hk (cause I have already come up with several but I need to practice them to make them much more scary)
*Work on my new Filia corner combo cause the reset and mind game potential in it is unbelievable (and on top of that it does not sacrifice damage)
*Work on the bait and reset compendium some more cause that's a thing still X.X
*Learn how to convert off of reset and bait setups more effectively
*Generally just play more
NEXT
Here is my list of players I need to beat in no particular order but know this I will come for you and I will win........ eventually

*Mc Peanuts (peacock/BB)
*Cloudking (Val/filia/double)
*Crypt Kiddie (BB/Bella)
*Mayor (fukua/BB/Doub)
*Luna (Squig....)
*Nikonova (val/squig/filia)
*Twerk (fukua/filia/bella)
*Drewski (BB/Bella)
*Blaise (Para/Doub)
*Raz (Bella/filia/parasol)
Note that these are not shoots fired at people these are my goals and current players I want to beat and think I have the potential to beat (please do not think of this as me attacking people it's just my goals ;_;)

That is all for now and here's a gift for reading all this shit.....