• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

USA [Jul 11, 2014] Skullgirls Encore EVO 2014 Official Side Tournament (Las Vegas, NV)

Has it been decided what platform we'll play on? Need to know to get my stick ready, in case it's not compatible.

inb4 we get 129 players, completely messing up the brackets.

PS3 seems to be the console of choice lately for SG, but I'm sure that someone will lend you a stick or pad if you ask.

Don't forget the #DickStick.

Starting to feel even woulde intimidated x.x

I hope not. I don't have a ps3 stick...
A high entry number for SG is less intimidating. If there were only 30-40, it would be an absolute shark tank. Past that, more and more intermediates and casuals file in and lessen your chances of drawing SonicFox or dekillsage as your first opponent, sending your confidence into a tailspin before you face Broseidon or Pikmario next, and now you're 0-2 sitting in a Wendy's, with flashbacks of DiGiornos and crossunder j.HKs haunting you as you watch your Frosty melt.

So, yeah, big numbers are good.

A high entry number for SG is less intimidating. If there were only 30-40, it would be an absolute shark tank. Past that, more and more intermediates and casuals file in and lessen your chances of drawing SonicFox or dekillsage as your first opponent, sending your confidence into a tailspin before you face Broseidon or Pikmario next, and now you're 0-2 sitting in a Wendy's, with flashbacks of DiGiornos and crossunder j.HKs haunting you as you watch your Frosty melt.

Implying I'm going to reach loser's bracket first round.

Reactions: ElkyDori
Implying I'm going to reach loser's bracket first round.
I mean.
Ect kinda yea
Keepo

While true, I still feel intimidated by the sheer number of people. I've never been to a large tourny such as this and I've never done well in high energy places (like this will be), so I'm worried more about locking up under pressure and people then loosing anymore. I mean, I don't want to loose but those 2 are now my top fears about going.

You know, I was hoping that the sheer number of entrants would intimidate people into entering the tournament.

before you face Broseidon
Oh hey, that's right, Free Win the King of the Brocean will be there! zing.

I still feel intimidated by the sheer number of people.
I think about only one thing when entering a tournament: I'd like to get Not Last Place. Beat one person, and you're better than 50% of the entrants. That's always my goal, even now, and it makes you feel like anything after that is a bonus so you get less nervous.
As for how many people there are, when you're playing against someone it's still just the two of you. Everyone else doesn't exist.
(And it's "lose", not "loose".)

(And it's "lose", not "loose".)
That's a little harsh, Mike. We all need to level up, but you don't need to single out Broken Loose.

That's a little harsh, Mike. We all need to level up, but you don't need to single out Broken Loose.
It's fine; I deal with worse from other people every day.

edit:
*Broken Lose
rMhir9z.jpg

No Team for Old Men will be me setting up metaphorical milk bottles for Mike to knock down.

And @render.

For real tho, I usually wait for my Frosty to melt before eating it.

sending your confidence into a tailspin before you face Broseidon or Pikmario next, and now you're 0-2
CONFIDENCE INCREASED!
Oh hey, that's right, Free Win the King of the Brocean will be there! zing.
Confidence returned to slightly lower than normal levels.

When I went to Winter Brawl, there were like 4 or 5 people who had 360 sticks, and brought along converters (all the same one, actually) with them, myself included.

Link to buy it is here, or if you don't wanna buy one I'm sure that you'd be able to borrow one from someone for your matches. It's what I did when I forgot my converter when I went to Team St1ckbug.

One thing to note with that converter though, as @dekillsage mentioned somewhere, the analog acts a little funky with it. I forget exactly what the issue was, but it was something with the diagonals being too sensitive or not sensitive enough. Since you're using stick that probably won't be an issue, but it's something to be aware of.

Mike's confirmation is as good as, if not better than, my own. I will try to have a couple of 360 setups too, though.
Thanks, but I wouldn't mind Pc setups, as both controllers can be used there.

just going to throw this out now, i will not play on any tournament setups that aren't ps3. preferably with an asus monitor but i won't be THAT PICKY as long as the delay is unnoticeable

One thing to note with that converter though, as @dekillsage mentioned somewhere, the analog acts a little funky with it. I forget exactly what the issue was, but it was something with the diagonals being too sensitive or not sensitive enough. Since you're using stick that probably won't be an issue, but it's something to be aware of.
Makes sense. An analog stick is divided into horizontal and vertical axes in the range -1 to 1, making a square. That square of movement is restricted to a "circle" by the plastic around the stick, the size of which varies depending on the controller. I have a 360 controller and a ps2 controller USB converter, so here's the maximum range of movement for them both, using an old program I made to visualize them:
ps2 vs 360 analog range.png
I imagine the sensitivity for diagonals in the game is tweaked for each console, so a converter would mess that up.

Why not use Controllers converters? lag input?
No good 360->PS3 adapters exist that I'm aware of.

We have two 360 devkits, so we may have some 360 setups but they basically just come across as "a waste of a TV" to me. Longer loading times + dealing with sign-in crap < neither of those. :^P
If you can convince your opponent to play on a 360 (if we have any) then you can run your match on that, but if they want to play on PS3 you will be playing on PS3.
PC is completely out, as far as tournament play goes.

Reactions: Wenzel
I have a little extra candy apple red PS3 pad for people who need to borrow it

Like it's really small though

Tinkerbell size, really

No good 360->PS3 adapters exist that I'm aware of.

We have two 360 devkits, so we may have some 360 setups but they basically just come across as "a waste of a TV" to me. Longer loading times + dealing with sign-in crap < neither of those. :^P
If you can convince your opponent to play on a 360 (if we have any) then you can run your match on that, but if they want to play on PS3 you will be playing on PS3.
PC is completely out, as far as tournament play goes.

Yeah, a couple of friends play with Xbox adapters in PS3, they always complaing about it.

offtopic/ longer loading times its a Xbox hardware issue for the console or is a build bug?

Oh shoot, I messed up the name I need to be registered as. @render can you change me to CnDr|Zidiane?

+1 change, can you get me as IGL|NCV?

Is there anywhere we can view the concrete/final rules?

Oh shoot, I messed up the name I need to be registered as. @render can you change me to CnDr|Zidiane?
Did you not read the bit in parentheses after my name?