• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Marvel vs Capcom 2

Fond/favorite memories of specific games/tournaments you played in?

Mine was the first time I didnt get my arse kicked.

Ohh uhhh tournaments?

The only tournaments I had were with fam and I would dominate with my team... and then they stopped playing me lol

Ohh uhhh tournaments?

The only tournaments I had were with fam and I would dominate with my team... and then they stopped playing me lol
I know that feel. I tried to get my dad to play once...I don't think he ever got over how old it looked lol. We ended up playing tekken iirc; he was surprisingly good at it. He was noticing patterns and I actually had to do mixups....

But yeah....Marvel 2. It just wasn't his kind of game.

Actually my dad was the one who got me into fighters starting with Marvel Superheroes. He loved MVC2 but when I learned how to read (literally) I started winning more, he was the only one who kept playing me he just loved using his favorite superheroes

Non tier related question: What made Sentinel/Cyclops so different that only JWong played the team at that level? What exactly are the differences between Capcom B and Cyclops B?

Non tier related question: What made Sentinel/Cyclops so different that only JWong played the team at that level? What exactly are the differences between Capcom B and Cyclops B?
Blockstun is why Wong plays Sent/Cyke. Cyke is invul for days and leaves you in blockstun for weeks.

What makes Cyclops a bit different is that he's kinda in between CapCom and Psylocke. Cyclops provides a bit of vertical coverage, but not as much real estate as Capcom. He's got some forward moving invincibility, but not quite Psylocke level. He's also a helluva lot more viable of an active character than CapCom

Well if he's a hybrid of Capcom and Commando, why wasn't Matrix a more popular team? I remember looking through some old EVO footage and finding tons of Santhrax players but relatively no Cyclops.

Comfort, character loyalty, laziness. Could be anything. Say you really like Magneto. Psylocke is way more useful for you because she's horizontal.

I used to play the game a lot in arcades & on Dreamcast. Even tried it in tournaments, bay area & even Northbrook, IL (placed quite low).
Kept trying as many possible team varieties as I could in search of the "perfect team". I think my best characters were O.Red, Gief, BB Hood, & Shuma, but it's been a long time.

it makes me sad that Ruby Heart will never be in another game....
at least Dios X is keeping her memory alive.
if he's still playing that is.
I dunno.

What makes Cyclops a bit different is that he's kinda in between CapCom and Psylocke. Cyclops provides a bit of vertical coverage, but not as much real estate as Capcom. He's got some forward moving invincibility, but not quite Psylocke level. He's also a helluva lot more viable of an active character than CapCom

Hm. I want to study a Sentinel/Cyclops player other than Justin who still gets by on raw skill. Do you know anyone?

I'd have to dig, but there was only one other I can think of, but I can't think of his name.

What about Chris Matrix
Isn't the team named after him?

I swear I remember Justin saying there was someone besides Matrix that ran cyclops effectively, but I can't find the interview

Was it during the Neo/Clockwork money match? He says something like "There's only 2 people who can use this team, myself and Chris Ellis 'Matrix'."
But, uh, Neo was also using that team for a while in that match so maybe it was him?
zachd also has a "Jake" that plays Cyke but idk anything about him.

Was it during the Neo/Clockwork money match? He says something like "There's only 2 people who can use this team, myself and Chris Ellis 'Matrix'."
But, uh, Neo was also using that team for a while in that match so maybe it was him?
zachd also has a "Jake" that plays Cyke but idk anything about him.
Neo sucked with that team during the MM, which is why Justin brought it up. Even more demonstrated by him winning when he switched back to his shit.

Reactions: Kankato and Mr Peck
I was wondering if there are top teams, besides MSP, that don't include sentinel. I don't think i've seen any.

There's MST (Magneto/Storm/Tron Bonne) I guess, but that's not exactly on the same level as MSP. Even though there's a large variation between playstyles in the top teams, they pretty much all use Sentinel for one reason or another. As well as being a ridiculous character on point, his drones assist is good for Cable's keepaway and Spiral's traps, he lets Storm deal huge damage with the lightning storm xx hyper sentinel force DHC, he works well with Captain Commando assist on various teams, he uses Doom assist well on team Clockw0rk, and so on.

Last edited:
Dont get me wrong im not dropping sentinel (too fun). I just somehow just noticed that its on almost every respected team.

Reactions: Kankato
I hadn't realised it until you mentioned it either. I knew he was by far the most common character but didn't notice that only one or two top teams didn't use him.

Aren't there variations on Strider/Doom with Iron Man instead of Sentinel? I've also see OmegaRed but he can't deal damage.

EDIT: I also know that team Duc has Sentinel on the team for assist purposes as unassisted Sentinel isn't the strongest force in the game for a comeback.

Last edited:
Is Iron Man good at building meter? I mean, that's why you use Sent on team clockwork. Fly, build meter, HSF into ourorboros, chipchipchipchipchip.

Is Iron Man good at building meter? I mean, that's why you use Sent on team clockwork. Fly, build meter, HSF into ourorboros, chipchipchipchipchip.
If he gets a hit he builds a ton of meter but that's assuming quite a bit. My question is how much help does Strider get from Iron Man and how much help does Iron Man get from Doom?

Also, how come Clockwork always played team Clock with Strider first? Was his Sentinel that bad?

My understanding is that it's character dependent. Against vertical teams, you want point Sent to fly around. Against more horizontal teams, you can go point Strider since rocks, drones, and vadra are good.

Capcom reaches the top of the screen, has a huge horizontal hitbox, and does huge damage in one hit (so followups aren't scaled), but is not actually invincible.
Cyclops is invincible, does not reach superjump height unless you wait for the shot at the end, and has a smaller horizontal hitbox overall than CapCom, but he is easier for lots of characters to combo after.

Cyke is a pretty decent point character. He has good meter build, decent mobility, a REALLY GOOD DP that for one bar you can make safe or convert into around 40-50% damage, an infinite, a REALLY good launcher and some excellent air buttons, as well as a good chip super and a pretty good DHC in. When he's the only one left you don't put down the controller.
CapCom is a terrible point character. He has no air mobility except using Captain Fire to slow his fall, very bad unsafe normals, very bad unsafe specials, very bad unsafe supers, no good DHCs in, and Captain Sword is risky and drops often.

CapCom is enough of a better assist that people prefer him even though he himself is crap, but Cyke covers a lot of the same bases and is a way better point. Also, you can stuff CapCom, but you can't stuff Cyke. These are the main reasons Justin uses Cyke.

Reactions: Kankato
Good stuff.

So people thought that the benefits of playing Cyclops were not worth the loss of full vertical screen control? Or was the Wong Factor so irreplicable that no one else could pull it off?

And is the full invincibility overlooked or not as powerful as people say it would be?

Full invincibility is powerful. It's why people use psylocke.

uhg... psylocke assist every god damn time. Give me Thanatos' bubble, send you to dream land.

So I remember Justin Wong saying he'd try out Skullgirls after EVO. Has he made any comment on it yet?

Hadn't he already played it a few times? I could have sworn I saw a few matches of him learning Parasoul.

So I remember Justin Wong saying he'd try out Skullgirls after EVO. Has he made any comment on it yet?
Hadn't he already played it a few times? I could have sworn I saw a few matches of him learning Parasoul.
Yeah, he already plays SG. I ran into him at an Atlanta tournament: Momocon.

Yipes was the one that said he was gonna play at EVO this year.
Dunno if he ever made good on that.

Someone beat me to it but yeah it was Yipes JWong plays every so often he played Val/parasoul last time I checked

I was recently inspired to play MVC2 after noticing someone was selling it on an fb group I'm in. since I have the ps2 version I was playing it on my pc with an emulator so I could use my qanba fightstick (don't have a ps2 fightstick) but some reason it keeps not registering my tiger knee inputs for AHVB (pretty sure it's dropping my inputs since I can do tiger knees in SF4 easily) and can't tell if I'm just not doing fast fly fast enough or if it's dropping/laggin for it too.

What's the best way to play this game? do people even play this offline anymore? and how fast am I supposed to input fast fly to combo?

I played this game with @alexpi tonight and had a fun time!

Also Mormons came and knocked on the door of my friend's apartment while Alex was teaching me to guard break with Cable. You can't make these things up.

In a way, it was appropriate. We were doing mutant Jesus lessons, and they wanted to talk about Jesus.

Reactions: FuLLBLeeD