• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

[May 22, 2015] Combo Breaker 2015 (Rosemont, IL)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, we've got our stream times.

8-10pm - Top 8 on Spooky's channel
11pm onward - Saturday Night Salt on Callisto's channel

I know we were wanting top 16 (who wouldn't, right?) but we've been given 4+ hours of stream time on a Saturday night, and that's pretty great to me. Special thanks to the TO @thehadou for providing fertile ground for SG to flourish. Rick's been very open to working with us, and you should all say thanks when you see him in Chicago :)
I'm assuming Top 8 on Spooky is Saturday?

We're a main game so I just sort of presumed we would be.

Not to mention that I was given the impression I would be commentating SOMETHING, and that that something would not be top 8 because who even am I, right?

I don't think getting pools streamed was ever in the cards.

Actually, I thought this was like 90% of the buzz of why it was so great to get combo breaker. Lots of stream time.

As it is, if pools aren't streamed and sg has the second highest registration and perhaps the second highest attendance maybe 3rd or 4th if we really don't come through, it still seems like a shaft because some games WILL have their pools streamed.

I mean stream time is one of the things that had us pissed off with evo.

What's the point of being an official game if only top 8 is streamed? The fact that we got top 8 over anything at all? At that point I'd be happy just getting poverty cell recordings.

It just seems like a major letdown if they aren't streaming pools as well. Remember that SG is a fast tournie game. Even if top 32 were being streamed it would seem like a letdown.

Pools are going to have some fantastic matchups. This is a who's who of SG events and like damn near half the registrants are killers. So yeah.

Not to mention that I was given the impression I would be commentating SOMETHING, and that that something would not be top 8 because who even am I, right?
Pretty sure you're joining me on commentary for a portion of SNS, as well as live announcing the fighters/teams.
So... We aren't getting pools streamed?
Some SG pools are getting streamed, just not all of them.

Pretty sure you're joining me on commentary for a portion of SNS, as well as live announcing the fighters/teams.

Some SG pools are getting streamed, just not all of them.
Oh, okay, then everything's cool and ilu bb <3

Isn't this like, one of the first times in years Skullgirls got on Sp00ky's stream? If not THE first time?

Isn't this like, one of the first times in years Skullgirls got on Sp00ky's stream? If not THE first time?
Definitely not THE first time but first I can remember in at least a year, and definitely the first time in a primetime spot since 2012, iirc.

Ok, so, some initial confusion because of whatever blah blah etc. Here's the facts as I just got them from Rick.
  • TOP 16 is being streamed, but it's the TOP 8 that's on Spooky's channel on Saturday at 8pm
  • Some pools will be streamed, but not all of them
  • 3v3 Tournament + grudge matches will be on Saturday Night Salt (Callisto's channel) at 11pm
To get our top 16 streamed, we're going to have to have some pools on Friday. Time constraints, people. I'm happy with what he have, here.

What are entrants numbers looking like now? I'm assuming SG is 3/4?
We'll likely be looking at 100+ come game time, but exact numbers won't be known until they release the pools.

We're a main game so I just sort of presumed we would be.

Last I checked you were on pools, after hours, and potentially part of Top 8.

INCOMING CAPCOM CRYBABY ALERT
tumblr_lmdunqhsrC1qjdhtro1_400_zpsgyiqkwfj.gif

@Verdant Brave
If it's anything like UFGTX there will still be stations to play at on Sunday, in the venue. I think.

@thehadou
Speaking of commentary, I am still up for doing VSav and MvC2 if needed. (There's no GGAC and I would be a really bad choice for Xrd.)
[edit] And mystery game, since I've played most fighting games that exist. :^P
and
If you actually put MvC3 where it should be numbers-wise, I will buy you a drink of your choice. Twice.

If it's anything like UFGTX there will still be stations to play at on Sunday, in the venue. I think.

So this is actually an interesting thing I saw on Twitter. Because there are so many games in the Combo Breaker lineup and all stations remain set up throughout the 24 hour venue, there's pretty much no room for BYOC in the venue until Sunday. I'm guessing that Sunday BYOC is a thing because stations of finished games (Including Skullgirls) get taken down.

Is this right @thehadou?

Speaking of commentary...
And mystery game, since I've played most fighting games that exist. :^P

But how are you at commentating Don't Break the Ice?

Reactions: Kai
So this is actually an interesting thing I saw on Twitter. Because there are so many games in the Combo Breaker lineup and all stations remain set up throughout the 24 hour venue, there's pretty much no room for BYOC in the venue until Sunday. I'm guessing that Sunday BYOC is a thing because stations of finished games (Including Skullgirls) get taken down.

Is this right @thehadou?

Sunday we have additional table space because Brackets HQ and Mystery Game Tournament are no longer on the floor (as Sunday is a stage-only day brackets wise). As such all tournament stations stay up until Sunday night, playing whatever game they were used for in tournament, and BYOC becomes available in the Mystery/Brackets area. The tournament Skullgirls stations will still be on the floor on Sunday.

Wow this is crazy..... you guys sure thought CB through. TO life sure sounds like some obscure fetish. You and your team must sure as hell enjoy what your doing to get this to work. Thanks for that!

Sunday we have additional table space because Brackets HQ and Mystery Game Tournament are no longer on the floor (as Sunday is a stage-only day brackets wise). As such all tournament stations stay up until Sunday night, playing whatever game they were used for in tournament, and BYOC becomes available in the Mystery/Brackets area. The tournament Skullgirls stations will still be on the floor on Sunday.
That is REALLY cool. Good stuff!

Hey @Kai @POS Industries @keninblack (?) or whoever is doing commentary, something I think we as a community need to help with in terms of commentary is to get better about what James Chen says here (http://www.twitch.tv/ultrachentv/v/4487370?t=35m50s) about resets. For us who've played the game a lot, we know what to look for and can easily see when a reset has happened and usually identify common reset points, but it's something that makes the game hard to follow for a bunch of the people who don't follow the game as much (or at all, as what will undoubtedly happen when its on the main stream). If any of you practice commentary at all, I really think you guys would do well to practice talking about reset points to make it more obvious and helpful to viewers since they often are very fast and hard to process. Like, you maybe don't need to get all explain-ey and talk about the basics of resets and whatnot, but just a little something to make it easier to watch since this is a complaint I've heard multiple times that I think we can work on.

Speaking of commentary
[edit] And mystery game, since I've played most fighting games that exist. :^P

@thehadou PLS You really need to work your magic to do this, Mike Z on commentary for random fighting games no one has ever heard of would be the best ;_;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back