• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

[May 22, 2015] Combo Breaker 2015 (Rosemont, IL)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to try really hard to attend.

Started doing some research on flights and stuff. Hotel seems reasonable, but flight can be a bit pricey. Still unsure if I want to make the trip for this. Think I'll wait and see what the turnout is going to be before I make a decision.

@keninblack I really don't want to take any more 10+ hour road trips ever again. If I can't get a flight, I probably won't go.

Reactions: keninblack
Can't fly but I am the worlds first Dolphin Pilot, so omw.

sorry I wish I could go to this but EVO and SGDQ are going to drain my funds for going to out of state events this year ;_;7

From new york the bus ride if we take the mega bus is like 17 hours or so. Maybe less maybe more depends on how lucky we get lol. $20 to go assuming its 20 to come back as well. (if we book super early.)

I am not making this trip by myself, I'd like at least 3 other people to come with me. Bus leaves at 3:10pm we get there at 7:55am. That's just to get there though. To get to the venue its like a 35 minute drive I believe, shorter with little traffic.

We can also reserve a table which makes sleeping easier and stuff. Can also have laptops and stuff there to play as well, up until people eventually knock out.

Reactions: WarpedEcho
See you all there!

Is it true if you bring a Gamecube controller on the Megabus you'll get a discount, or is that just a rumor?

See you all there!

Is it true if you bring a Gamecube controller on the Megabus you'll get a discount, or is that just a rumor?
B5pSgcCCYAA9Dca.png

Reactions: Broken Loose
I might be able to go.

Wait, it's on Memorial Day weekend...

yNG7we.gif

ON MY WAY!

Reactions: Datagram
Oh word, it's memorial day weekend? On My Fucking Way!!!!!! Still will probably have to take Friday off if I'm gonna do the 12 hour drive or if I'm gonna fly out. Definitely cheaper to drive, but man, 12 hours...or flying and spend like 275 bucks. Man first world problems.

From new york the bus ride if we take the mega bus is like 17 hours or so. Maybe less maybe more depends on how lucky we get lol. $20 to go assuming its 20 to come back as well. (if we book super early.)

I am not making this trip by myself, I'd like at least 3 other people to come with me. Bus leaves at 3:10pm we get there at 7:55am. That's just to get there though. To get to the venue its like a 35 minute drive I believe, shorter with little traffic.

We can also reserve a table which makes sleeping easier and stuff. Can also have laptops and stuff there to play as well, up until people eventually knock out.

Shotty bus seat and room space.

oh newyork i wished i lived there again. i'm honestly not going. i believe i have internship during the time period and i just don't think i'll be able to attend. have fun guise.

@Dolfinh @Swiftfox-Dash
Very much suggesting people go to this over Evo if you're going for SG. Just sayin'.
I intend on playing in the UNIEL side tourney, smash 4, and
XRD
so I would much rather go to EVO this time around.

I'm still going to try but SGDQ being so close to EVO is going to body me financially. Doesn't help that my living cost is going up too ;_;

Did some investigating and it seems like the cheapest plane ticket for me would be up in the $400 range, which is a bit outside of my spending budget.

I'd love to support the game more at one of the bigger tournaments, but when getting to evo costs me as little as $100 and have people that live there that can house me so I don't have to worry about hotel expenses or finding a driver, its a clear choice for me on which one is more reasonable for me to attend. That and I want to play other games as well and enjoy a nice vacation in vegas :x

If I somehow come across a large sum of cash before May, I might be able to make something happen, but doesn't seem likely.

Reactions: Swiftfox-Dash
I have a similar dilemma. My family loves Vegas so going there with my mom and grandmother is quite a bit of fun on it's own. I'm also considering trying out the smash tourney and also just really like being at EVO where there is so much hype and fun matches/games to watch. Sure I can just watch them on youtube later but it's not as exciting. I would have gone to both but I had already made plans for a furry convention before I even heard of this event. Three trips within just a couple months of one another is kind of a lot. We will just have to see, but it doesn't seem likely for me.

Was wanting to wait to get some more time with UNIEL and MKX to see if I wanted to register for those as well, but I'll just get with Hadou and add them later if I need to.

We've now got one more registration for SG to add to the pile from me.

Oh word, it's memorial day weekend? On My Fucking Way!!!!!! Still will probably have to take Friday off if I'm gonna do the 12 hour drive or if I'm gonna fly out. Definitely cheaper to drive, but man, 12 hours...or flying and spend like 275 bucks. Man first world problems.

Driving would still cost a lot though wouldn't it? Yo if someone like has a car big enough to hold all of us we could drive there maybe? @cloudKing211 would that be possible?
Busing is still an option but man... why is it 5 hours slower
edit: Also we would need actual drivers. don't put your lives in my hands

Last edited:
Driving would still cost a lot though wouldn't it? Yo if someone like has a car big enough to hold all of us we could drive there maybe? @cloudKing211 would that be possible?
Busing is still an option but man... why is it 5 hours slower
edit: Also we would need actual drivers. don't put your lives in my hands

I can actually vogue for Megabus being a pretty good way to travel, and I'd definitely recommend it over driving there if its just an extra 5 hours. Comfy seats, the bus does make stops for food and stuff, free wifi (thought it was broken last time I rode), and I mean, there's a bathroom on the bus too. Its disgusting but you're going to have to use it so its nice you can go whenever you need too!

I have a similar dilemma. My family loves Vegas so going there with my mom and grandmother is quite a bit of fun on it's own. I'm also considering trying out the smash tourney and also just really like being at EVO where there is so much hype and fun matches/games to watch. Sure I can just watch them on youtube later but it's not as exciting. I would have gone to both but I had already made plans for a furry convention before I even heard of this event. Three trips within just a couple months of one another is kind of a lot. We will just have to see, but it doesn't seem likely for me.
I mean shit you have your furry friend @dekillsage and other mans. Ask to chill with themmmmm

Taking a guess off the top of my head but I'd imagine I'm gonna be paying at least $120 on gas alone (give or take) plus tolls which idk what the toll situation is out in PA and beyond. If the megabus will cost a fraction of that maybe I might be better off doing that. Then again, flying out is still a viable option.

Then again, flying out is still a viable option.

For those of us with money***

Also, should we decide to drive, I can pitch in as a license holder, though truth be told 4+ hrs at the wheel doesnt sound the most appealing. It's whatever though.

So can we talk about how I've already won this tournament??? PogChamp I'm winning smash4 too

@Night Phyre Thanks for making an event post for me! And thank you Skull Girls for being the first community to embrace our event. Also, I was very serious in my tweet. Someone please come and do Big Band combos for me.

If you want to update the original post with the "standard forum" content I've included it here for you.
The Hadou & Gaming Generations present
Combo Breaker // www.combobreaker.org
Back for the first time, the chosen successor to the Ultimate Fighting Game Tournament series. In 2015 the Midwest’s tournament legacy lives on.

Date:
May 22-24, 2015
Chicago, Illinois.

Venue:
The Crowne-Plaza O’Hare
5440 N River Rd. Rosemont, IL 60018
Rooms available now for $89.99 a night! http://bit.ly/1CEyoEn
Reservations also available at 1-877-337-5793, just mention Combo Breaker.

Airport: For those flying in we recommend O’Hare International Airport (ORD).

www.combobreaker.org/registration (desktop recommended)
$35 Regular (ends May 1st, 2015)
$45 Late (ends May 18th, 2015)
$70 Emergency On-Site (not guaranteed available for all games)
$10 per tournament game

Event Features:
24/7 tournament gaming room. Play all night!
In Venue arcade (presented by Galloping Ghost)
Specialty auction tournaments
Visiting artists
Vendors
& More

Event Tournaments: www.combobreaker.org/tournaments
Ultra Street Fighter IV (Xbox 360)
Mortal Kombat X (TBA)
Killer Instinct (Xbox One)
Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- (PS3/PS4 - TBA)
Super Smash Brothers (Wii-U)
Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 (Xbox 360)
Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (PS3)
Mystery Game Tournament (Various) - 128 player cap

Super Smash Brothers Melee (Gamecube/Wii)
Injustice: Gods Among Us (Xbox 360)
King of Fighters XIII (PS3)
Persona 4 Arena Ultimax (PS3)
Under Night In-Birth EXE: Late (PS3)
Skullgirls: Encore (PS3)
Divekick: Addition Edition (PS3)
Lethal League 2v2 (PC) - 2v2 Team Tournament

Featured Retro Titles: (32 player soft cap)
Vampire Savior (Xbox 360 / XBLA)
Marvel vs Capcom 2 (Xbox 360 / XBLA)
Garou: Mark of the Wolves (Xbox 360 / XBLA)
Marvel vs Capcom 2 (Xbox 360 / XBLA)

Rules:
Event rules available HERE. Individual game rules available HERE.
Player FAQ HERE. Prizing information HERE.

Broadcast partners:
Announced soon

Sponsors & Affiliates:
Gaming Generations // @gaming_gen
One Frame Link // @oneframelink
Galloping Ghost Arcade // @Gghostarcade
Twitch TV // @twitch
Mad Catz // @madcatz
More TBA

Event Organizer: @thehadou
Logistics Directors: @gaminggenerations
Brackets: @curlyW
Guest Hosts: @thatmikerossguy & @ceojebailey
Additional support by the multi-year consistent UFGT series staff.

Join our Facebook event:
https://www.facebook.com/events/514691945339243/

And thank you Skull Girls for being the first community to embrace our event
Your event (also when it was UFGT) was one of the few events that embraced our community.

Last edited:
@Night Phyre Thanks for making an event post for me! And thank you Skull Girls for being the first community to embrace our event.
I think I echo other players sentiments: we want to reinforce the respect paid to us with last year's fantastic tourney and top 16 stream. I'm hoping we can make CB2015 the Skullgirls tournament this year.

Just put in my registration. Time to 0-2 like the pitiful scrub I am!

This sounds better than Evo. I hated the Vegas strip, and while the side area was fun (it was like a 1000 person locals), I really like the way Combo Breaker actually supports the side tournaments officially, rather than just letting everyone have at it seemingly wildly.

I'll see if I can't organize my vacation time for both, but I'm having a hard time convincing myself to even go to Evo, especially with this tournament in an actual city with actual people with actual stuff to do if I want to explore, rather than a 10 km² strip mall that sells only false hope (though it does have shows). Basically the question is Evo or a longer Christmas break.

Status
Not open for further replies.