• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

USA [May 27-29] Combo Breaker 2016 (Chicago, IL)

Wasn't it originally a game that was about ensuring everyone survives rent and banding together until one guy stole the idea and rebranded it?
It was originally an educational game about how rent situations were really shitty and oppressive, and how monopolies were terrible and made things even worse. Then it was stolen and sold to Parker Brothers who then mass-marketed it, found out it was stolen, said "fuck it," and kept selling it. Monopoly is currently a metaphor for itself, because its crushing grip over store shelves prevents newer and better products from reaching those same shelves.

From a game design perspective, it was originally designed to be a frustrating mess to encourage the players to realize the setting was an economic catastrophe. From a modern game design perspective, players have very little control over anything outside the auction (which 99% of players don't even realize is a rule in the game), the "solution" (orange properties) is trivially easy to discover*, it has the worst kind of player elimination conceivable, the playing time is way too long, the victory condition is just a fucking abomination, and there is nothing redeemable about it.

*There are 2 starting positions on the board: Go and In Jail. 2D6 gives results between 2 and 12 with an average of 7, meaning that everything from Electric Company to Chance 2 are the most landed-on spaces on the board (especially since it's incredibly rare to go to Jail before reaching the Jail corner). The orange properties are the most statistically likely positions to end up from that corner. The end blue properties are the second-rarest places on the board to land-- not only do you run an increased chance of a speeding violation the longer you stay on the board, but the Go To Jail space knocks out a great deal of traffic to that row while also sniping one of the better positions to end up at those properties from a single roll. The brown properties are the rarest, because they're technically AFTER the end blue properties (Mediterranean being impossible to hit from Go).

Monopoly is currently a metaphor for itself, because its crushing grip over store shelves prevents newer and better products from reaching those same shelves.
I remember Donald X saying something about Dogopoly being the worst shit to happen to board games, or proof that board games were dead, or something. I think it's pretty bad.

Here's Dogopoly. It's Monopoly but with Dogs.

61qW00cdFQL._SX355_.jpg

to mch smurt knead dumb

*old computer noises*

*rebooting*

*rebuttal*

I control the die's destiny

I remember Donald X saying something about Dogopoly being the worst shit to happen to board games, or proof that board games were dead, or something. I think it's pretty bad.

61qW00cdFQL._SX355_.jpg

@Broken Loose 's version of hell is being forced to play this and different themed versions of Life for eternity.

Reactions: Broseidon Rex
Okay, what about Zombopoly, tho? It's just like regular Monopoly, except you can buy zombies that shamble around the board and attack people (taking their money).

61qW00cdFQL._SX355_.jpg
They should make Catopoly.

Everyone would love it.

I'm shocked that the least fun board game ever has the most versions, variations, and limited editions.

It's stockholm syndrome.

Finally I can start making some money off all my Sonic OCs
This is my OC Kazmer the hedgehog. He was the strongest sonic at the sonic fighting academy.

Dislikes: Water, Nine Inch Nails (Band)

How do you use meme arrows?

So there isn't even so much as of a hint of what day(s) Skullgirls will be present? I have a vacation day left for this quarter of work, but I need to put in at least a full months notice.

So there isn't even so much as of a hint of what day(s) Skullgirls will be present? I have a vacation day left for this quarter of work, but I need to put in at least a full months notice.
I think every tournament I've been to is Saturday pools + sometimes Top # down to Top # and Sunday is Top # down to Grand Finals / True Finals. (End)

Last year pools were on friday and the tournament ended on saturday.

Yessir
CB and CEOtaku are the only events that had SG end on Saturday. It's pretty nice.

Will you be wearing Razmi's Tiger hat at CB tho

If I had one I would. Unfortunately I will be wearing the usual hat I wear at events.

If I had one I would. Unfortunately I will be wearing the usual hat I wear at events.
hmph...

the lore masters are deeply upset with this and you may be penalized....

Skullgirls will be contested 3/5 for the entirety of our 2016 tournament.

Practice your long game everyone. Gimmicks just got nerfed.
MY FIGHT MONEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

But will you wear the sage cloak if you win

Yeah sure. If I don't forget it and I actually win.

Skullgirls will be contested 3/5 for the entirety of our 2016 tournament.

Practice your long game everyone. Gimmicks just got nerfed.
welp, so much for seeing anybody new get far

Yessir
CB and CEOtaku are the only events that had SG end on Saturday. It's pretty nice.
CEOtaku 2016 will finish Skullgirls on Saturday evening. I hope CB 2016 does the same.

Reactions: PME