• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Mighty No. 9

That has to be a troll, I'm not even going to verify that statement I'm so sure of it...

? Isn't this just the trailer from last year or am I missing something?
It was. I didn't look at the date when my friend shared it with me and I shared it out.

Also I did a thing:

just watched the deep silver trailer and it looks a lot more polished the only thing i think would've made it more stunning visually is if they gave it black outlines to give it less of a clay look and more cartoony. but i'm alright with it

Reactions: Shockdingo
I love this game more than the Megaman series(games almost all)

http://nintendoeverything.com/mighty-no-9-producer-on-the-3ds-version-deep-silver-partnership-more/

Apparently Ray is a (robot) chick.

Actually, because of the partnership with Deep Silver, we are able to bring one of the DLC, the one introducing the new playable character, Ray. The players can play her stage, and after defeating her, they can play through the entire single player story mode as Ray. Her gameplay is totally different from what Beck and Call’s gameplay is, and players can expect an interesting twist with her.

It counld be a mis-translation, but it'd be cool if it's true imo. It's a better and more interesting idea than making beck female, seeing as she's like the Zero of this game.

They seemed purposeful in leaving Ray's gender ambiguous at first, but there was no denying that Ray looked pretty feminine in a lot of the concept artwork. They actually confirmed her gender back in January, but they could have always changed their minds from there, so I'm glad they chose to stick with this direction. That means now I'll finally get to play the badass girl "Zero" I always pictured when I was a kid!

Actually, now that I think about it, Mighty No. 9 has already shown a big shift with female characters compared to MM. I can't remember any Megaman games that introduced four female primary characters at once, and it wasn't until X8/ZX that you finally got to play as one either (in a non-spinoff). That's definitely a nice change of pace in my mind. It's just too bad we didn't also get the badass female No.8 sniper on top of all of that.

Reactions: Shockdingo
I thought some sort of battle mode was teased... I might be thinking about the coop mode, but what evs. It'll be a decent game at the very least.

Comcept released this teaser today:

We Legends now.
Really not a fan of those character designs, they all look very generic. The red one reminds me of Geo Stelar, and has a very uninteresting and bland look to him, the girl looks like some kind of Noel Vermillion bootleg with grey skin, and the big one looks really out of place, although he looks okay on his own.
Not much of a fan of the artstyle, either. They look stretched out, almost, with everything looking really thin.
I will give them this, though: the sketches for the buildings/environment are absolutely beautiful.

Well, I like the simpleness of the designs. I personally feel that many characters look "generic" when looking at the base (body/face types), so that doesnt bother me at all. Clothing, color, and personality do better jobs at expressing characters to me and I feel the images do a decent enough job.

I got to play this at Comic Con. Had three stages (intro, Mn.2, and Mn.5).

My verdict: It's good. Didn't feel as good as the best Mega Man games (X 1 and 2, all the MMZ games), but felt better than the lesser and average ones (mm5-6, x6-x7), and MUCH better than Azure Striker Gunvolt (ie mechanics aren't a total clusterfuck and the level design has more than just big square rooms and halls with the same enemy over and over). If you're a big fan of Mega Man and enjoy them all, you'll enjoy this. If you never liked the series, it won't change your mind either.

Misc feelings on the game:
-Controls seem slightly less precise than usually characterizes Mega Man. It might have been because I was playing on the Xbox One controller which is even worse than the default fat 360 controller somehow, but there does seem to be some drift/inertia on jumps, as changing direction mid air seems a lot less responsive.

-Beck feels pretty slow moving normally, and gets most of his dodging speed from dashes, much like the X/Z/ZX series. The dash itself is a lot faster than the dashes in those games, so that could either make for a more twitchy experience or a less precise one, depending on your tastes.

-Now that I think about it, the dash kind of reminds me of the Zero Teleport in Alien Soldier. Though not quite as radical, but still fun. I especially like doing it multiple times in mid air to glide over lengthy patches of stage.

-I didn't get to use any alternate forms or weapons beyond the standard buster in the demo, so I can't comment on those.

-Level design is pretty solid. MN.5's stage was a little dry for the first half, but picks up with some nice conveyor belt based platforming sections in the second half. MN.2's stage was pretty busy the whole way through with some nice and varied platforming that made good use of the dash mechanic.

-Bosses are pretty fun. Not quite as mobile or as over the top as the X/Z/ZX series bosses, but with some fun patterns and attacks to deal with. My biggest complaint is that MN.5 has a really dumb one hit kill (or at least 90% damage) for no reason. Can't comment on how random or memorization based they are, since I move on after beating them and didn't get a chance to "study" them or see any other bosses.

-Speaking of, I will say the difficulty balance seems slightly wonky. Spikes one hit kills are far more dangerous than any enemies the game threw at me. The game also takes a page from the original Mega Man, in that the window of invulnerability you get from taking damage will not protect you from spike instant kills. Lead to a few surprisingly nasty deaths when seemingly harmless enemies knocked me into pits. The presence of a few nasty spike traps at the very beginning of MN.2's stage felt a bit weird, since nothing else in it is quite as difficult. Bear in mind it was a demo so I could have been playing with more health than players will default to when starting the game.

-Dashing through wounded enemies to instant kill them feels pretty natural, but having to do it to bosses every 25% health or so feels somewhat tacked on. Not bad though, just feels like they desperately wanted you to dash through bosses and couldn't find a more elegant way to encourage it. Minor quibble.

-Graphically, the game looks pretty colorful in motion. Character models look a bit strange in close ups though.

Last edited:
The game also takes a page from the original Mega Man, in that the window of invulnerability you get from taking damage will not protect you from spike instant kills.
Huh, I didn't actually realize this was a thing. Did spikes work like this in all the classic series games?

Nah, just MM1, thank goodness. Though it actually doesn't sound like a bad trait for M#9 to have, since you get so much mobility with the dash to help you avoid stuff.

Yeah I don't mind it in MN9. The level design takes it into account. I feel like it's an interesting way to make some of these jobber enemies somewhat threatening.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=173433210&postcount=100
smug smile.png

Go take a nap Sano, Yoka Laylee was pre-funded

Go take a nap Sano, Yoka Laylee was pre-funded

And Bloodstained.

Speaking of MN9, I actually just noticed a couple things from their recent updates. In the Indivisible thread, I was criticizing the Strider PC port for inflating its system requirements, but now I see that MN9 might also be doing the same thing.

It's a fact that the minimum PC specs they're listing on the Steam page are a lot higher than the minimum specs that were able to reliably run the Beta. So, either Comcept is just recommending higher specs now to stay on the safe side, or they're ready to deal with a bunch of surprised folks after the game releases. Either way, I doubt there's much they can do at this point to ebb the criticisms people will keep making about the visuals.

I'm still looking forward to playing the game though. I'll admit, I've kinda been ignoring Red Ash so far, since I'd like to play at least one of Comcept's finished products before tossing more money their way. It'll be interesting to see how things play out.

So, who exactly is Fuze?

Yo, why are they being all TO BE ANNOUNCED with their new stretch goals now of all times when they might really want extra funds since there's a possibility it still won't make that initial goal.

Jebus, this campaign has been a clusterfuck.

Reactions: SanoBaron
where you got the "not the best of reputations"?

90% of the chinese companies start with a -4 reputation penality for being in a country that endorses copyright infringment and subhuman labor conditions, also the information restriction PRC does keeps most of the information about smaller players unavailiable to the west

Something about this whole situation seems weird to me.

where you got the "not the best of reputations"?
>announced a console to come out in June 2015
>it's July 2015
and so far, no news has come out about it.

this is the only thing I can get from it. as far as this thing goes, they're really hard to find on the internet without the drink product getting mixed up in the search.

So I played the Backer Demo this weekend. First time playing the game for myself, so I can't compare to the Beta. It has quirks, but for the most part, I liked it. The controls were more responsive than I expected, and the dashing actually felt pretty good. I'll admit the gameplay looked kinda monotonous in some videos, but I find it's a lot more interesting to play than it is to watch. The new voices add a bit to the overall presentation too.

The most frequent thought that came to my mind while playing, was that the game feels less "Mega Man" than Shovel Knight, and more "Sonic" than Freedom Planet. It's very arcadey compared to traditional MM, and like Mcpeanuts said earlier in this thread, it puts a huge emphasis on scoring and speed. The stages and enemy placement make a lot of sense when you play fast, but if you play cautiously without caring about score, the game will feel fairly simple and straightforward. I'm curious to see how this approach pans out for the rest of the game.

The only things that really bug me about the game right now are some aesthetic decisions. Currently, in its (supposedly) close to finished state, it looks like the game just doesn't have the same little details and character touches that you're used to seeing in other indie titles, such as Shovel Knight. Backgrounds feel surprisingly lifeless, even the hub-lab where the characters reside, and I think the cutscenes could have been served a lot better as 2D splash art (ala X5/X6), rather than just seeing the same 3D characters standing around with their mouths hanging open. There are also some stage obstacles that are handled rather lazily, like big explosions that lack impact, falling objects that blatantly clip through the floor without any effort to disguise it, and other rough spots. The overall quality of the graphics don't bother me at all, but I think the lack of those little details are what make the game feel a bit budgeted right now.

Overall, I think I'll be having a good amount of fun with the finished game when it finally comes out. Its playstyle is probably not going to satisfy a lot of MM fans, but thanfkully, there'll be plenty of other cool platformers out there for them to play as well.

I know I made a video for it, I just don't recall which forum I posted it too... And if I did this one's x,x

I'm playing the demo right now and I'm finding Beck to be very floaty and it's killing me more than the enemies. I also have a complaint with making crouch-dashing a dedicated technique when it doesn't allow me to low dash enemy projectiles and I can still stand in front of those small passages and still normal dash under them.
It's really annoying on MN3's stage because they make you crouch-dash when up to that point normal dashing gets you under/past everything else.

Yeah, the opening stage really should have provided an area that required the crouch dash, just so players could remember it exists. Unless people try out the challenge stages early, there's really nothing to prepare them for that particular segment in the No. 3 stage (not to mention the glow effect on those turbines looks deceptively large, another aesthetic problem).

Control-wise, there are also those times when Beck will sometimes do a little stumble as he lands, or get nudged into a ledge hanging position when you were actually about to LAND on the edge of a platform, and that stuff is kind of annoying. Aside from that though, I think the game's movement is all right once you get used to it, especially the dash.

I know I made a video for it, I just don't recall which forum I posted it too... And if I did this one's x,x
Have you tried out the demo? I'm curious what Beta players notice about it. It doesn't look like it plays that much different, but it seems like they might have changed little things, like how quickly the "Health Recovery" fills up. Also kinda sucks that they left out the Waterworks stage, for some reason.

Yeah, the opening stage really should have provided an area that required the crouch dash, just so players could remember it exists. Unless people try out the challenge stages early, there's really nothing to prepare them for that particular segment in the No. 3 stage (not to mention the glow effect on those turbines looks deceptively large, another aesthetic problem).
It's less making the player have to use it before that stage, and more making an ability redundant and situational. The crouch dash has no utility or use outside of the turbine section in Stage 3. I've tried using it to dash under the robots that fire 5-6 horizontal shots and you get hit. However, when they are in the background you can dash under their bullets so it's not consistent. You also can't dash under the Bullet Bill enemy although that may be a timing issue. And like I said, you can dash under those narrow passages without using a crouch dash since Beck automatically crouches down. It's only used for that one sequence and it already requires you too walk right up to the turbines so you can make the right distance.

Control-wise, there are also those times when Beck will sometimes do a little stumble as he lands, or get nudged into a ledge hanging position when you were actually about to LAND on the edge of a platform, and that stuff is kind of annoying. Aside from that though, I think the game's movement is all right once you get used to it, especially the dash.
That's also a problem. If I don't release the left-right button when I land Beck either careens over the edge. It's an annoyance because the classic megaman games you stick your landing and then start moving. I'm trying to not be too negative on this demo but it's really frustrating in some areas. It's got a higher skill cap than the previous platforming focused Megaman games, but the demo is hampered by very floaty controls and precise landings which don't mix.