• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Mighty No. 9

It's less making the player have to use it before that stage, and more making an ability redundant and situational. The crouch dash has no utility or use outside of the turbine section in Stage 3.
You gotta admit that sliding in MM was pretty situational too. I get the impression that the auto-crouch dash was just a shortcut they added to simplify things for some players, but then it kinda turned into a hindrance. The Challenge stages have a couple setups where the auto-crouch dash doesn't kick in, so I get the feeling that later parts of the game, or at least later challenge stages, might require us to read more of those situations manually.

Honestly, I never even tried dashing under bullets. You're a brave man. Usually I find there's enough space to airdash over them, or I can take out the enemy before it has time to shoot. Wouldn't be surprised if some bosses require us to crouch-dash to dodge an attack though. We'll see.
If I don't release the left-right button when I land Beck careens over the edge...in the classic megaman games you stick your landing and then start moving.
Yeah, the physics definitely don't feel as tight as MMX, but so far the platforming doesn't seem to have as much of a focus as it does in most MM games anyway. The air mobility is so good, that I'm usually just better off airdashing over a tricky spot until I find a safer place to land, or jumping again as soon as I hit the ground into another airdash. Still, it'd be nice if Comcept bothered to fix up a few of these quirks with the extra time they've given themselves.

You can definitely crouch dash to low profile some projectiles. On my Youtube channel there's two points in Power Plant where I do it. It's definitely situational though, it wouldn't be my go-to move

I also agree that automatically crouch dashing into little tunnels is a quality of life thing. It only works if you're right next to the tunnel tho. Sometimes the fastest way to get through a section is crouch dash just before the tunnel, so that you hit it at the end of your crouch dash (since while you're in the tunnel you just keep auto dashing until you get to the end of it)

I'm planning on posting some vids once I get a time on Oil Refinery that's not complete garbage

Have you tried out the demo? I'm curious what Beta players notice about it. It doesn't look like it plays that much different, but it seems like they might have changed little things, like how quickly the "Health Recovery" fills up. Also kinda sucks that they left out the Waterworks stage, for some reason.
No I didn't, as I didn't know they put out a demo o.o I would hop to it, but unable to play it due to my gaming rig being dead.

You gotta admit that sliding in MM was pretty situational too.
Sliding was situational, but when you needed to use it it was responsive. My gripe with crouch-dashing under those turbines is that it breaks the flow of what is essentially a pretty fast paced level. You need to edge up to the first turbine and then dash the maximum duration, and even then I see Beck's head clipping into the turbine so maybe his hitbox is just small enough. Then you need to repeat that with the next turbine. It's a very clunky hurdle. I liked the sliding sections of some of the Classic games since they were usually short and just required me to know when to hit the left/right button to get megaman to avoid an object inside the tunnels I was sliding through.

Honestly, I never even tried dashing under bullets. You're a brave man. Usually I find there's enough space to airdash over them, or I can take out the enemy before it has time to shoot. Wouldn't be surprised if some bosses require us to crouch-dash to dodge an attack though. We'll see.
Like I said (and McPeanuts confirmed), there are some parts in the power plant where you can crouch-dash under enemy projectiles but they are the exception to the rule. If I could do that with a sniper Joe enemy, expeciallly since you can control the dash duration, it would be a valuable tool for mitigating damage and keeping in with the high mobility that Beck has.

Yeah, the physics definitely don't feel as tight as MMX, but so far the platforming doesn't seem to have as much of a focus as it does in most MM games anyway. The air mobility is so good, that I'm usually just better off airdashing over a tricky spot until I find a safer place to land, or jumping again as soon as I hit the ground into another airdash. Still, it'd be nice if Comcept bothered to fix up a few of these quirks with the extra time they've given themselves.
The level design and overall handling of Beck are definitely more action oriented than platforming oriented. Stages are more about moving fast and getting combos off of enemy groups and striking first when they do appear. I do mourn the loss of wall jumping since it's something that could save your life if you dash too late and miss the jump.[/QUOTE]

Sliding was situational, but when you needed to use it it was responsive. My gripe with crouch-dashing under those turbines is that it breaks the flow of what is essentially a pretty fast paced level. You need to edge up to the first turbine and then dash the maximum duration, and even then I see Beck's head clipping into the turbine so maybe his hitbox is just small enough. Then you need to repeat that with the next turbine. It's a very clunky hurdle. I liked the sliding sections of some of the Classic games since they were usually short and just required me to know when to hit the left/right button to get megaman to avoid an object inside the tunnels I was sliding through.
I'm not a huge fan of that section but you have a lot more margin for error than you seem to think. I don't slow down at all for that part.

I'm not a huge fan of that section
:PUN:
You probably can just keep moving but after dying 2-3 times on those fans I opted to just slow down at that part. For the most part you can keep your forward momentum in MN9 just fine.

I made some videos. First one is the first time I ever played Oil Refinery like 2 days ago. Second one is from about an hour ago.

Reactions: PaperBag_Sniper
The fan section mentioned above is awful. Does the game even mention crouch dashing up till that point? I seem to recall having no idea I could even crouch dash since I auto dashed under small walls with a regular dash up until that point.

"These designs of yours are something else, Will."

This game is set in an alternate universe where people inexplicably don't know where to put emphasis in common English phrases? I didn't know the world-building was this deep.

Last edited:
Reactions: CatfishZealot
I haven't played since the demo and I'm going to wait for the full release, but I found as long as you don't play it like a megaman game and treat as a new style of gameplay, it's very good. I really adored how fast paced it was, game's a lot more interesting if you just try to go as fast as you can. I wish it was harder though. More bullets on the screen, higher damage, faster moving enemies, something.

Also, it's really weird that the lips dont move when characters are talking. Makes the game seem really dated.

Reactions: KaboomKid
Just got an email from fangamer to confirm address for some of the physical stuff like plush and shirts

Second one is from about an hour ago.
Nice. I think my best time on that stage was around 2:33. With how aggressively fast you can get, the Online Race Mode might actually end up being pretty worthwhile for some folks. Personally, I'm still not sure whether I prefer to play for time or combos, because finding setups to go fast while holding that 100% is pretty fun.
Does the game even mention crouch dashing up till that point?
That's like we were talking about earlier. The only other places the player learns about it are in the Tips section, and if you complete the Challenge Stages. Yeah, it's weird how the game doesn't give you anything to do with it in the main game until you come right up to those turbines. Clever setup as it is, it'd probably have caused less confusion if it was just a low hanging spike ceiling, or something.

Also, what do you guys think about the 8-bit soundtrack? Honestly, it sounds kinda off to me. Like, some of the songs are fine, but other ones just seem bland, like they were made with a filter. Granted, the music's kinda average anyway, so it's probably just easier to hear how plain some of the songs are when they lack the embellishments.

So uh, I got the demo the other day, but I can't get it to work with my controller for whatever reason. I'm using a PS3 controller with ScpServer, but the game doesn't seem to recognize it. I go to the calibration screen to set it up, and still no feedback.

Suggestions?

Upgrade to ps4! *shot!*
honestly not sure. I haven't messed with the newest version of the game.

So uh, I got the demo the other day, but I can't get it to work with my controller for whatever reason. I'm using a PS3 controller with ScpServer, but the game doesn't seem to recognize it. I go to the calibration screen to set it up, and still no feedback.

Suggestions?
These drivers?
http://emulation-general.wikia.com/wiki/SCP_Driver_Package

If you're using these make sure you don't install them in your downloads or user directory. Make a new folder right in your C: drive and it should run just fine. I use these and the PS3 registered with no hassle.

If you're using these make sure you don't install them in your downloads or user directory. Make a new folder right in your C: drive and it should run just fine. I use these and the PS3 registered with no hassle.
That did the trick. Thank you very much. :D

in even sadder news... the lifeless body that which is known as Rock Man has been dug up again by Capcom and has been reworked so it can move for an animated series...

More than a robot... no more...

Face guys... the dream is dead, RockMan is dead. Mighty Number 9 is just... no... and i think the world is better off without the super fighting robot active.

http://deadline.com/2016/05/mega-man-animated-series-dhx-man-of-action-1201762975/

Reactions: Professor Icepick
it's the final nail in the coffin for Mighty#9 that's what it is.
Yikes. That's one ugly nail then. A nail with Michael Bay engraved on the side. Seriously way too many explosions, it wasn't necessary.

The alpha demo was way more polished than the final look of this.

Ugh I wanted to back this but had no money. Starting to think it was a blessing in disguise.

I feel bad for anyone who backed this.

Reactions: PaperBag_Sniper
wasn't that because the Alpha Demo was made for current gen consoles and not Wii...

cause... you know having the game ported to 10 different consoles is pretty shit, due to forcing the game to have downgraded graphics just it's even possible to port the game. Also it's in unreal 3 which does not have online support, so thanks for all of those pointless online co-op modes that shouldn't be in a MEGAMAN GAME. god damn it... See? this is why i don't trust alot of shit on the internet. Also why i love LabZero cause they cool and they don't dick you over.

Reactions: Magma442
"no, dont donate to Shantae. Donate to Mighty Number 9."

"no, dont donate to Shantae. Donate to Mighty Number 9."
Hey I'm still biting my tounge on that soley because there's always a chance it could stink.

But it's way forward they make good games sure.

But then again people said the same thing about Inafune.

Everyday I feel sadder at this. I defended it and had high hopes, now i just want it to get released and see what I paid for....
didnt't you get the beta though? it should have been enough to get an idea of what you paid for.

I never donated to a project unless I'm happy with the final product regardless of quality.

Like, I would have been happy with the Doraleous and Associates series or Shantae is they didn't look as good as possible, but thankfully that isn't the case.

Shall I make the regretti spaghetti then?
Dont forget to make the meatballs from only the finest of fresh cooked crow

As much as I want to make fun of all this, I must point out again that when I played it at Comic Con, it seemed like it was an okay platformer. And that's pretty much what Classic Mega Man always was. So, assuming this isn't an Aliens: Colonel Marines style "the demo is better then the final" (which I actually played and got tragically mislead) bamboozling, in the end you'll likely get what you payed for.

Say what you want about Inafune, but this is an Inti Creates developed game ultimately, and they generally tend to make quality games.

Except for Azure Striker Gunvolt. Hated it.

didnt't you get the beta though? it should have been enough to get an idea of what you paid for.
Nope, didn't play it. I donated early in the funding campaign and didn't have a viable rig to play it yet. I do now but have been too busy to try out the demo.

In all honesty, everything I saw in the beta just made MN9 look like it was the most "quick, cater to the speedrunner crowd. People love that shit." Like, speedrunning is fine, I'd just would rather have a game that goes more for action platforming than "dash through everything"

And imo, Azure Striker Gunvolt looked and played better. I played the demo and that was very fun.

I honestly think people skipped over the article where even the dev Takaya was ashamed of the trailer

rJeTNdx.gif

Wow. That's...definitely not the trailer they needed to put out.

It's sad that this promo even manages to highlight both the shitty explosions and the shitty cutscenes that they really should have tried to improve during this time.

I how think Mighty number 9 supporters feel right now.

pretty much what Classic Mega Man always was
I agree but I would also state that part of MN9's problem is it's identity crisis of sorts. It has a character that's more reminiscent of the original Megaman. But Gameplay that feels more like an MMX game with stage hazards that are closer to mid-late classic games. I doesn't know what it wants to be so the fans who see the dashing and flashy combat and expect X are going to be disappointed. And the people who want a more traditional MM experience are only going to get that out of the boss battle and maybe certain stages.

I really do regret not reading the writing on the wall and donating to this. It's the only kickstarter that's ever burned me but man does it sting.
Shall I make the regretti spaghetti then?
Make that a double order, and hold the salt. I brought my own.