• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

USA New England thread - Not UK

I'm still not going unless there's some people who legit can ONLY make it to Quarters and I'll never get to see them otherwise. It's 3 hours each way for me, and I don't drink.

To address some of the issues associated with this location. I am not suggesting we move the community to Hadley. I would however would like to point out how many people are out in western and central MA. Although GU is great 1. It's a pain in the ass for people in western mass to get to without cars and 2. You can't drink there. If you guys don't want to move out there it's fine I can start a new thing out there on a different day so that it does not conflict with GU but offers people in western mass an alternative to driving across the state. Also if we have it out here we have a much higher chance of getting new people involved in this community considering this area has like 5 colleges around it. I understand that this is not ideal for you guys in eastern mass or Rhode Island but for those in Connecticut, Vermont, and western mass this is great. Please don't think of this as a relocation think of it as a new event. I hope that this clears up some of your concerns. Now again I will ask..... What day works best for everyone else? I was considering having this on Saturdays or something.

E: I want to make it clear that I do not intend to have this event compete with GU it's just an alternative. Let me know what you guys think. :)
You could have said that with fewer words.

The thing I'm saying is that even if I lived 5 minutes from both places, going out all night twice a week is a lot (maybe it's not for everyone else, idk). And if you had two events, and someone was within range of both, they'd probably end up choosing one to go to all the time and the other to maybe visit occasionally. And if they did that, we'd be dividing our already small player base. Also, when people don't have cars, it's hard to make it out to anywhere; even if the place is closer to them, not having a car is still a big hindrance.

I mean, if you can do it and you think you should then go ahead. Having five schools full of potential players nearby is great.

My own stance is that I would prefer to go to GU because it's closer to where I live (I'm selfish lol). But I could probably make it to the Quarters as a like once a month thing. I want to check out the venue anyways, it sounds cool.

I think it better to have two events with 10 people each than one event with 15 people. Maybe I'm naive, but at this point it seems like the best thing to maximize for is quantity. We want people playing, and we want them to feel like they're part of something.

Hell—I'd be ok with 10 different events in 10 different towns scattered across New England, each with 5 people.

I think GUTS 3 is the only event in New England that ever had over 15 players. But I understand what you're saying.

We want people playing, and we want them to feel like they're part of something.

Isn't that kind of what this place is for? Last I checked, we're already a part of something pretty great (Well I think we're great).

With all the new blood coming in though, we really do need to have a bit of solidarity here. I think before we set up separate groups and events and whatnot, we should probably BE a group first. I mean poor fishy hasn't even meet me or josh, and we're the ones closest to them.

Reactions: mcpeanuts
Isn't that kind of what this place is for? Last I checked, we're already a part of something pretty great (Well I think we're great).
Oh, yes. I didn't mean to imply that the people who currently go to Framingham aren't part of something. I meant more that a person can feel like they're a part of something anywhere—so that multiple groups just adds to the community, while explicitely having a single group restricts it based on location.

Reactions: joshb911
Ok after reading everyone's thoughts here are my thoughts and possible solutions:
1. We drop GU and move to Hadley (Not Optimal and will piss people off)
2. We drop Quarters and stay with GU (Once again not optimal but less people pissed)
3. We alternate weeks between Quarters and GU (Could be a compromise let me know)
4. We have separate groups (Could lead to some bad blood between east and west)
5. We have monthlies at one of the two places and go to the other each week (Could be seen as a compromise IDK)
6. We all say fuck it and stay at home....(Worst case)

So I mean I'm willing to work with people on this but I really want to have this thing at quarters for the single reason of exposing skullgirls to more people (5 colleges and stuff). GU is great and all but how many people go to GU to not play in local matches? At quarters people go there to drink and play old arcade games so if they see the game they might want to play and stuff.... It's just a thought guys. Also not to be biased but I kind of like option 3 cause the people that can go to both can go to both and the people that can go to one or the other can go to one or the other or get a ride to the other place.

Let me know if you guys have a better solution (and yes its a wall of fucking text FUCKING DEAL WITH IT)

That's literally not even an option.
I'm an engineer dude I put every option that I can think of in lol (what are your suggestions?)

Reactions: Uzumakihero
What we've had going on for over a year now is fine, seriously we have no good reason to split the locals. I already waste a shit ton of gas money, putting miles on my car, and wasting time driving 4 hours in total up to GU and back. Like, this is less convenient for everyone who's been part of the GU scene, which Nate and I have been to almost every week since July 2013, except for about 4 months, let alone how long ceno and peanuts have been going.

If you do the quarters thing, it CANNOT have any effect on the GU scene, much like the Fall River thing which is on different days than GU, and no one goes to over to GU.

I'm an engineer dude I put every option that I can think of in lol (what are your suggestions?)
You put the number one option to stir drama first when it's literally not an option

Um... I don't think anyone's trying to stir drama, dude.

I say we just have two separate events—I may not be able to make it to all of them, but going to Hadley would be way, way, way easier for me than going to Framingham. If we could have a local SG scene in every town, even if just 3 people, I would advocate that 100%.

Then we could have larger events where everyone gathers together and such.

Josh is there any chance of doing Quarters meetups on a day that isn't Friday? I assume not, because you were listing every possibility you could think of, and that would really be the easiest thing. If that was possible though, it would really be ideal since it wouldn't interfere with GU Friday meetups.

Reactions: DaydreamingSorc
As I already said I don't plan on interfering with GU........
If we have it on alternate days as zid mentioned people are not going to be able to do both.
Especially if it's Friday Saturday. If I was not in school I would say lets have it on a Thursday but alas that is not the case. I honestly think that having it alternate each week is a good compromise. You guys are saying that you would not be able to make it if this was moved to Hadley. Look at my perspective.... Unless sorc can give me a ride which is already out of his way I can not make it out ever so how is having this at GU a good solution?

I love GU I just don't like where it is. Let's all agree to disagree but to answer your question Peanuts Yes I can see what Quarters availability is on Saturdays; However if the only day they can promise a spot for us is Friday I'm gonna take it regardless of what anyone else tells me.

So...... Back to a solution that is favorable to both parties. (if you guys just want to say were not going just say it I'm not gonna be mad and it will make this so much easier)

I don't know very much about this whole situation, but is there a decently large group of players in western MA that absolutely cannot make it out to GU? If so, it would be a good idea for them to host locals at Quarters, and leave the GU community unaffected, but otherwise, it doesn't seem necessary to have two events.

I can't imagine the regulars alternating between GU and Quaters. GU is like routine habit already, and everyone knows everyone. Change is scary, yo.

Reactions: Icky
As I already said I don't plan on interfering with GU........
If we have it on alternate days as zid mentioned people are not going to be able to do both.
Especially if it's Friday Saturday. If I was not in school I would say lets have it on a Thursday but alas that is not the case. I honestly think that having it alternate each week is a good compromise. You guys are saying that you would not be able to make it if this was moved to Hadley. Look at my perspective.... Unless sorc can give me a ride which is already out of his way I can not make it out ever so how is having this at GU a good solution?

I love GU I just don't like where it is. Let's all agree to disagree but to answer your question Peanuts Yes I can see what Quarters availability is on Saturdays; However if the only day they can promise a spot for us is Friday I'm gonna take it regardless of what anyone else tells me.

So...... Back to a solution that is favorable to both parties. (if you guys just want to say were not going just say it I'm not gonna be mad and it will make this so much easier)
Frankly Josh, you've been in the community for like, five minutes. Asking everyone else to change our schedule to accommodate you is not a compromise. I actually think you're being unreasonable with all this.

Reactions: Zidiane and Icky
I can see both events happening. Whoever is closer to either venue will just go to that one. If the others are feeling up to the trip, they'll go to the other one. GU is already established, it'll be hard to convince people to go to another venue that is further than the one they are going to. It may be convenient for you, but the rest of the MA community is fine where they are, and that's a stretch already. Now for me, I'll just hang out in Boston and be by myself, claiming to be "MA's best parasoul"

Your right I shall bid you a good day then good sirs. Sorry for wasting your time with my pointless suggestions...

I'll make a separate thread for the quarters thing and I'll leave you guys to do your own thing. I apologize for my suggestion....

Only solution that is favorable to me is something that interferes so little with GU, and the people that go, that I don't even realize there's another event that happens at quarters

Your right I shall bid you a good day then good sirs. Sorry for wasting your time with my pointless suggestions...

I'll make a separate thread for the quarters thing and I'll leave you guys to do your own thing. I apologize for my suggestion....
.____. Please don't be like that. No one's mad at you for making suggestions and you don't need to make a separate thread for discussing Quarters. I am open to the idea of a meetup at Quarters, my only objection was trying to run it the same day as GU's meetups.

In other news. Videos from last Friday's tournament are now on Youtube, if you want to peruse these and point to specific parts and say "that's bullshit that isn't what I pushed" it is now possible to do so.

Just because people aren't sure about this thing you're doing doesn't mean we want you gone. If you wanna not show up anymore that's all up to you, but don't leave and then blame us for making you leave.

On the topic of the Barcade, like I said, start it up if you want to, but fully understand what it means to do this before you start. Rushing into a new venue without a solid idea about exactly what's going to happen just seems like a bad idea.

Suggesting people just drop what they're doing to go to this one (something that is too far away for the RI crew, and isn't filled with non-SG people we know and like (Alex Smith, Jojo's Alex, LuckyD, etc.)) is a little much. I think you're getting ahead of yourself; first thing to do before moving forward (those listed options of yours) is to get a head count for who can show (on a day that isn't Friday; going Friday is not an option unless you want to split the group). That's your only viable option right now. After that, talk to Barcade to see if they are cool with you showing up with X-people (and if you need setups, how many). If they are, you're all set, no need for further discussion. If not, well, we'll figure that out then. No point in stressing before hand.

everyone who's been part of the GU scene, which Nate and I have been to almost every week since July 2013, except for about 4 months
Oh. I see how it is. Don't put me on your list. Fine. I'll get my own car and my own GU in my own Framingham and drive there on my own roads and play the Skullgirls that I made all by myself. And it'll be on Saturday, as to not compete with GU, but none of you will be invited.

Oh. I see how it is. Don't put me on your list. Fine. I'll get my own car and my own GU in my own Framingham and drive there on my own roads and play the Skullgirls that I made all by myself. And it'll be on Saturday, as to not compete with GU, but none of you will be invited.
I totally meant to put you there and I don't know why I didn't Dx I miss you Zid!

Okay. So I know Peanuts said we aren't doing GU this week due to Christmas, Zid are you able to come Friday the 2nd?

Maybe? I put in my notice for Fridays; it may be in by then, if not it should be the week after.

Reactions: mcpeanuts and Icky
Just confirming: due to Christmas, there's no GU tomorrow, right?
actually i believe they are open. i dont think im going tho. i couldnt stay late anyways since i need to be up early Saturday.

Alright, I don't think I'm going either in that case. See everyone next week

Should be able to go on Friday.

There's a chance I may not be able to make it Friday.

@mcpeanuts want me to bring the mic cable this friday, or did you get a new one?

Happy new years everyone! Hopefully 2015 is awful and we all die

Mike-Epps-Friday-After-Next-mike-epps-28866857-1024-768.jpg

Reactions: joshb911
@mcpeanuts want me to bring the mic cable this friday, or did you get a new one?

Happy new years everyone! Hopefully 2015 is awful and we all die
I haven't had time to do it yet. I'm gonna try to do it Friday afternoon but it probably would be a good idea to bring yours just in case.