• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

One Big Night! One Big Show! One Big Man! One Big Band! General Discussion

his trumpet solo but now it goes into SSJ but deals a lot more damage

How do you do that? Ive heard about it, but never seen the input. Want to try it just for lulz.

Idk the inputs, it was put in the patchnotes a while ago

Okay, I found one, but it only stops time... I'm confused.

what I want to know is His level 5 worth it, or will it just be a gag

Yeah, the tune's changing in this update, actually. We are much more in favor of it being SG related.

and only does the damage of a taunt-buffed LVL1.
Well THAT's just not even close to true.

Big Band should do 100 punches in his Lv5

TUBATUBATUBATUBATUBATUBA

Thanks for the info. But I highly doubt to ever use this. His Level 1's are too good, so easy to combo into and can be buffed. And inputting the command in a real match with an aware enemy - that’s not going to happen.

Would love a Sturm palette from Advance Wars
Would look like this http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090201144447/advancewars/images/5/54/AW2_Sturm.jpg

I rang Mike Z's doorbell at 4AM and made it happen!

maxresdefault.jpg

He's had a Sturm palette for over a month, silly.

Reactions: WarpedEcho
Thanks for the info. But I highly doubt to ever use this. His Level 1's are too good, so easy to combo into and can be buffed. And inputting the command in a real match with an aware enemy - that’s not going to happen.
You can combo into s.MP, therefore you can combo into it.

Concerning Big Band's win quotes, am I the only one here who's watched Big O?

You can combo into s.MP, therefore you can combo into it.

Uh, forgot about that, sorry chief! :O

But it’s also the only way to land the ultra-buffed attack, since when you do the time stop far away, it will not hit, at least it didn’t when I tried.

I messed around a little with it now, but I still doubt I will ever use it. I play Big Band solo at the moment and saving meter is a really bad idea when you have the opportunity to kill of an enemy with a Level 1 or land a buffed one safely. Which happens nearly every time I end a combo.

But if someone would pull this thing off in a tourney… the hype would never be the same. I remember the Valentine revival in a final some weeks ago, so I expect to see that happen sometime in the future.

the command itself is easier too.
im really liking this. . .:BIG:

Cant wait to see what the rest of the voice lines are, Especially for his supers

Well, I tested my BnB into level 5. It took so many tries, even when I did make it through the combo fine, sometimes the opponent would be too far away for the trumpet followups to hit and I fimbled the SG theme a few times too, which were the most enraging.

It did 12687 damage at 1x, so not enough to kill in most ratios relevant to competitive Big Band teams.

I'm sure there is a way to reliably combo into and do more damage and obviously its not meant to be the most practical super haha. But I don't see it being used much as a game finisher like Megalith Array, unless you've already landed a reset on their last character or a lot of poke damage.

Isit possible to dhc into lvl 5?

Realized I don't browse Skullheart as often as I think I want to.

Trumpet freeze followup is amazing, but in my head, it's for all the wrong reasons. It practically elevates trumpet taunting into an artform.

Nothing quite screams 'You Suck' like using the trumpet freeze to play nana-nana boo boo then following it up with a relatively hard hitting super.

Also, I finally beat Marie as Big Band! Fighting her while being unable to parry sucks hard. Because I suck at parrying.

Also, I finally beat Marie as Big Band! Fighting her while being unable to parry sucks hard.

Nah, it’s not that hard ;)

I beat her on nightmare every day with solo Big Band, without parrying. jp.LK->jp.MK all day long. Call me cheap, but against Marie on nightmare - I have no mercy.

Because that’s what I do to train with Big Band – beat arcade mode on nightmare every day. Works really well, can do it in 5-10 Minutes now (depends on how many solo opponents I get or how cheap Marie decides to be) maybe because I do it for more than 2 months now. Nightmare isn’t nearly as hard as a real opponent, but you can learn to beat standard tactics with it.

I would play online, but nobody plays the Beta online anymore. Maybe they cut the online mode, don’t know, I never find someone to play. So that’s what I do: Play arcade with Big Band every day, waiting for him to be released to go online. It’s for the better I think, If I get beat up online I get angry pretty quick and don’t learn anything, 2 months against the CPU got me at least to a point where I can say I know how Big B works and how I can make him work.

Problem is I don’t have the motivation to learn anything else, so Big Band will stand alone until I decide to learn another character properly.

Soooo Big Band does 9.4k midscreen and 9.3k in the corner pretty damn easily now. I'll post the combos in the morning but they are basically my old ones with slight improvements.

Also, I didn't realise that the shake for the stick and the buttons was DIFFERENT. So.... I actually wasn't shaking for full damage, you should be both wiggling the stick AND pressing the buttons. You can call me an idiot for not knowing that, but people were posting combos with significantly less damage than mine BEFORE. They do 9.3-9.4k now haha.

EDIT:

Also, thank you MikeZ! You said you wouldn't do it, but the 5 frame buffer on Beat Extend makes everything soooooooo soooooo much easier.

The hardest thing BB needs to do now is basically j.MK MK land 2LK.... which isn't difficult.

EDIT 2:

Oh. those 2 frame links guys? They are like 8 or 9 now.. not sure how much the height increase of Beat Extend effected this + the 5 frame buffer. There is basically no excuse for not doing Beat Extend > 2LP combos now! Enjoy what Mike has given us!

Last edited:
I think you have to invite someone to play online in Beta.

I think you have to invite someone to play online in Beta.

You can make lobbies, don't know if quick match works, never tried on beta.

Oh golly so Big Band just got hella buffs in today's update. I haven't had a chance to try them out yet but I wanted to post about these buffs anyways.

-Assists can be parried both high and low. Kind of interesting. Low hitting assists aren't very common though.
-Hella damage buffs. It is apparently now piss easy to hit 8000 damage. I'm very curious after this change the sort of damage an optimized combo does.
-c.MK pulls the opponent towards you. This is really interesting to me. I used to do c.MK c.HP xx H Brass Knuckles off an anti air c.MK, because that was the safest thing I could consistently hit confirm (I would cancel into L Brass Knuckles on block). Now that it pulls them in I bet you can get a much bigger combo.
-There was a bug fixed with air super. Apparently sometimes it used to end with Big Band facing the wrong way. I never experienced this problem myself but I guess now I never will so that's baller.
-A-Train xx Super Sonic Jazz combos more consistently. This is great cause I used to do this and have it not combo and then die.
-Supers only use up your taunt if they go into the taunt boosted ending. I think this only affects air super because SSJ always goes into the ender even if it kills before that. But what this means is that if you don't need a full super to kill them, you can end with something like s.HP, jump cancel, air super, then save your taunt for later. So that's really good, I think.
-There's a new command for level 5 that looks easier. I tried the old one yesterday and it was pretty tricky so I'm glad this got changed.
-Level 3 starts up faster, gives the opponent less meter, has larger hitboxes. The first and last points should make it easier to consistently link after a H Beat Extend.
-Several changes were made to H Beat Extend that all add up to it being easier to link s.LP after on Double. This is the biggest change for me because I couldn't do that link for shit, due to being bad at video games. Now I should be able to get it all the time on everyone. I'm really excited about this change in particular.
-A-Train is better at basically everything. I never used this move except against Painwheel so it probably did need these buffs. It's still not very safe though, and that was part of why I preferred to use c.MK instead of A-Train as my go to anti air.
-Cymbal Clash is a frame faster and tends to get all 1/2/3 hits more consistently. I did have problems sometimes where the third hit of H Cymbal Clash wouldn't connect and it would screw up my combo, so it's nice that that got fixed.

Reactions: blufang and Tomo009
-Assists can be parried both high and low. Kind of interesting. Low hitting assists aren't very common though.

Remember, this also means you can low parry a mid-hitting assist. Which means the point character hitting low on Big Band while calling an assist is now 1000x easier to parry than before, that's the more relevant buff.

Reactions: mcpeanuts
Big Band is crazy now. . .Timpani Buster is the best move ever

I was watching the update stream last night. it was super interesting to watch.

I hope Mike does it again soon.

Wow dat damage… I’m making notably more since I play solo, but damn… if I ever get Happy Birthday, the game is nearly over with one simple combo. I have the slight feeling he will be nerfed in the future. But that doesn’t interest me: I love this character. So much fun to play with and such an awesome design. I adore the effects, like the steam from Brass Knuckles, now they even have sound.

And the new bell sound from the buffed Tympani Drive and his throw: I love them.

Again: I’m sitting here, wearing my Big Band T-Shirt and can’t wait for this character to be released. This is going to be amazing fighting online with him.

I rang Mike Z's doorbell at 4AM and made it happen!
haha I didn't know. I haven't been following the updates very closely. This is great

A few things:
His overall damage doesn't bother me a ton, but the min scaling on the super seems like it might be a bit much.
He MIGHT be losing the Beat Extend -> s./c.LP link entirely depending on what I see, it wasn't really supposed to be "add 2k to the end of any combo with 3 Beat Extends". As long as it's there it may as well be easy, but I dunno if I like it being there.

A few things:
His overall damage doesn't bother me a ton, but the min scaling on the super seems like it might be a bit much.
He MIGHT be losing the Beat Extend -> s./c.LP link entirely depending on what I see, it wasn't really supposed to be "add 2k to the end of any combo with 3 Beat Extends". As long as it's there it may as well be easy, but I dunno if I like it being there.

That's fair enough, but it does seem like most of his easy combo options use up his OTG, so its no wonder most people are doing the beat extend link.

Reactions: Tomo009
A few things:
Beat extend loops are the coolest things next to barrell loops. . .wouldnt having increased drama for beat extend work in lessening such things?

A few things:

I understand your logic in doing this. It's basically Big Band's only good midscreen option that doesn't use OTG though, so I do hope it stays. (plus it is just kind of cool)

Can definitely agree with the minimum scaling on his super, not only does it push his damage up pretty high, only really contested by Bella, but it makes it the best level 1 to DHC into for the kill as far as I'm aware.

Oh hey, someone that called it Drama. +5 points!

Increased undizzy (sorry) would only SORT of help. I could go with sound stun so you only get one if you haven't yet done sound stuff but you normally haven't done sound stuff anyway.

DHCing into SSJ is not affected by min damage, since DHCs rescale higher than minimum and it's not enough hits to get you to min again.

Right, I'm an idiot haha.

SSJ Beat Extend SSJ at the end of shorter no OTG combos is pretty brutal, though.