• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

POLL: Keep Fukua in the game?

Should Fukua stay in the game?

• Yes!

Votes: 383 88.7%
  • Hell no!

Votes: 50 11.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Except that L0 has pretty much OK'd this endeavor, and Mike has no plans of removing her. Just because Mike worked on Fukua doesn't mean time was taken away from the important stuff. This just seems like something Mike put together for shits and giggles, and it's been received well, for the most part. I'd love to see her stay because L0 has outdone every single April Fool's trailer by the rest of the FG market by actually making her PLAYABLE. Fukua is akin to TotSG in a sense that Mike did this in his own time for the lulz, while not taking away from priorities.

So, how is it disrespectful to Lab Zero if they approved this to begin with?

The thing about April Fool's day jokes is that they go away when April Fool's day is over. That's because jokes have a life expectancy, eventually it won't be funny anymore and what's left is just going to be a shell of its former self. Even Dan from Street Fighter is a more serious character because does Capcom really need to keep "jabbing" at SNK?

Not to mention Fukua's assets are currently ugly and jarring. Do you really want this character months down the line? A few weeks from now? Tomorrow?

The thing about April Fool's day jokes is that they go away when April Fool's day is over. That's because jokes have a life expectancy, eventually it won't be funny anymore and what's left is just going to be a shell of its former self. Even Dan from Street Fighter is a more serious character because does Capcom really need to keep "jabbing" at SNK?

Not to mention Fukua's assets are currently ugly and jarring. Do you really want this character months down the line? A few weeks from now? Tomorrow?
If she's polished and balanced as time goes on? Yes, actually. I want her to stay for more than comedic value, since I actually like how she plays. She's different enough from Filia that I can tolerate trying to play as her (and anyone who knows me, knows I have a special hatred for Filia). Sure, she looks like shit. Then again, considering she was put together in "not even three days", I'd say she's pretty fucking amazing. She has unnaturally good synergy with my current team, from what's I've toyed around with so far, so I'd love her to be a long-term addition to the roster.

a.aaa-No-fun-allowed..jpg

After having played with her for an hour or so... I REALLY like her.

I dont think shes op (though that remains to be seen) she has an easy bnb (always a good thing)

Things that balance her in my mind:

No high/low game at all really (j.hk wiffs on crouchers) and hits mid anyways... Yes, it hits mid.
Terrible/no reversals from what i can tell besides super...no vertical AA at all from what i can tell.
Cant convert from throws without meter midscreen.

So basically she seems like a hard open. She has terrible mixups upclose from what i can tell. Her zoning game looks good but not broken.

*these are just hour one observations... But still. From the looks of her... Shes already been "theoretically" balanced by mike... Her j.hk being a mid screams that she has been balanced at least partially already. If she wasnt meant to be in the game and was totally a joke, her j.hk would hit overhead and catch crouchers, her fireaballs would be multihit her throws wouldnt be as balanced as they are.

Tldr... I think the plan is for her to stay. The resources have already been spent and shes looking good and brings a fresh new style to the game... A zoner that can go in, a zoner with a command grab... A terror in the corner with low/throw mixups, yet bad reversals.

I want her to stay, if only for the selfish reason of me being salty if she got taken out and I missed out on the Fukua craziness simply because I can't afford to buy a second copy of the game for Steam.

Even Dan from Street Fighter is a more serious character because does Capcom really need to keep "jabbing" at SNK?

Have you even seen Dan Hibiki in SF4 at all or SFxT's tutorial mode? He's not serious in the slightest, and Capcom DO keep jabbing at SNK through him.

Keep Fukua, she has a unique, good playstyle that just needs some touching up if issues arise.

If she's polished and balanced as time goes on?

But that polishing and tuning up ain't coming free. That's going to take time and resources from the development team which in turn might delay future characters.

Have you even seen Dan Hibiki in SF4 at all or SFxT's tutorial mode? He's not serious in the slightest, and Capcom DO keep jabbing at SNK through him.

Dan was originally supposed to be the WORST character in ANY game he appeared in, even spin-offs like Puzzle Fighter. But in SF4 is kinda solid. Not be best, but not worst.

I also suck shit at SF4, so take that comment with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
People not wanting her because she is OP or want her banned probably don't know the first thing about her right now.

Let her rock for now until something broken crops up. We are getting a new free character ffs.

But that polishing and tuning up ain't coming free. That's going to take time and resources from the development team which in turn might delay future characters.
But how do you know that? For all we know, she'll be patched along with everyone else, given enough community input. I don't think balancing her would be that hard, to be honest. Frankly, while they wait on the Big Band build to be approved for consoles, Mike could theoretically polish her up. I seriously don't see how tweaking Fukua here and there would seriously delay future characters; you make it sound like Mike put in a buttload of work to make Fukua.

NOT EVEN THREE DAYS, he said. Imagine if he actually put in a considerable amount of time to make her.

But how do you know that? For all we know, she'll be patched along with everyone else, given enough community input. I don't think balancing her would be that hard, to be honest. Frankly, while they wait on the Big Band build to be approved for consoles, Mike could theoretically polish her up. I seriously don't see how tweaking Fukua here and there would seriously delay future characters; you make it sound like Mike put in a buttload of work to make Fukua.

NOT EVEN THREE DAYS, he said. Imagine if he actually put in a considerable amount of time to make her.

You make it sound so easy. You are basically asking MikeZ to spend all of his time (or whatever free time he manages to scrape up) to go towards making a joke character in a full fledged character. And all the "polishing" that's needed to make her animations look less crappy is gonna come from the Animation Team and they're gonna need to be paid for that work but every penny from the Indigogo Campaign is going to the stretch goals. So the development team will have to make a free character out their own pockets.

I'm cool with her though with the mis fortune of having the console version. She had things that are different than Filia's and the only things that are the same are the walking animations and some normals from what I seen. I say keep her rebalance her and have one extra person to use. Also when you pick her the announcer says their name so you know if they pick Fukua.

You make it sound so easy. You are basically asking MikeZ to spend all of his time (or whatever free time he manages to scrape up) to go towards making a joke character in a full fledged character. And all the "polishing" that's needed to make her animations look less crappy is gonna come from the Animation Team and they're gonna need to be paid for that work but every penny from the Indigogo Campaign is going to the stretch goals. So the development team will have to make a free character out their own pockets.
OR Mike could just do the polishing himself with assets that are already present in the game... THAT'S THE JOKE! And, no, I'm not asking Mike to do this in whatever free time he manages to scrape up; he's CLEARLY done that on his own. Hence Fukua. And Typing of the Skullgirls.

OR Mike could just do the polishing himself with assets that are already present in the game... THAT'S THE JOKE! And, no, I'm not asking Mike to do this in whatever free time he manages to scrape up; he's CLEARLY done that on his own. Hence Fukua. And Typing of the Skullgirls.

Typing of the Skullgirls and Fukua were done quickly. To make Fukua a serious character, more work will be needed. You can't make something with nothing, and if you do it's not gonna be worth it.

I can't believe that people actually want a joke character with tons of bizarre almost glitchy crap (and some things that are straight-up glitches, like what happens when you DHC out of her level 1), less than three days of balancing/playtesting/tweaking, and weird-to-bad animation in the game.

If I wake up tomorrow and Fukura is still in the game, I'm going to be super annoyed.

To be honest I think it might be too soon to ask that question now. At the moment everyone is super hype and of course answers "yes!". Let the emotions cool down, reason take over and all that. Ask in a week.

She's a new character with new gameplay, new moves, new all sorts of stuff. Time ain't gonna change my opinion that that's an objectively good thing for a game with such a small roster, even if she is visually similar to Filia.

I can't believe that people actually want a joke character with tons of bizarre almost glitchy crap (and some things that are straight-up glitches, like what happens when you DHC out of her level 1), less than three days of balancing/playtesting/tweaking, and weird-to-bad animation in the game.

If I wake up tomorrow and Fukura is still in the game, I'm going to be super annoyed.

You can always report bugs to Mike instead of using them as ammunition to fuel your personal vendetta against the character

In contrast, if I wake up tomorrow and Fukua is not in the game, I'm going to cry.

I'm sorry but despite the legitimately interesting mechanics she doesn't look as cool or as fleshed out. Fukua's mirrors look way worse than any other part of the game. I will be honest, aethetics in fighting games matter to me, the moves have to feel like a normal or a special or a super. She is fine as a fun char to mess around with but when I play or watch I want to be satisfied by the spectacle. Thats just me.

At least make the sound design for her fireball better, if she is going to be considered a real and widely used character the standard should be higher than for a joke character.

I say the more characters the better. There isn't a whole lot of harm being done by keeping her in.

Also when I first saw the trailer I misread Fukua as Fuuka from Persona 3 and I was totally hype for some SG X P3 action.

From what I am seeing in the poll and other posts, the majority of people want her in, Me being included. Though truthfully, the only reason I want Fukua to stay is just so Skullgirls can have a Joke character. I'm not good at fighting games, especially those which use combos, so her combo potential isn't interesting to me.

With this logic, are you against the DLC characters too?

The DLC characters aren't joke palette swap characters with choppy cut and paste recycled assets.

One's caviar, the other is day old McDonald's food from the dollar menu.

If all you want is a lot of characters, why are you playing Skullgirls and not Mugen?
So "how dare you want more characters in Skullgirls, why don't you go play MUGEN if you want characters?!" is how this is coming off to me. Like when someone tells people to go play SF2 if they feel Skullgirls combos are too long.

The difference is that the DLC characters weren't crapped out as a joke in three days with no playtesting, non-cleaned animations, and broken supers.

EDIT: This is in response to Cawtime, of course.

So "how dare you want more characters in Skullgirls, why don't you go play MUGEN if you want characters?!" is how this is coming off to me. Like when someone tells people to go play SF2 if they feel Skullgirls combos are too long.
i tell people that :3

Personally, I like the small character roster. I'm new a fighting games and before Skullgirls I played Super Street Fighter IV, and I gotta tell ya....A big part of fighting games is knowing your options against other characters and you can be completely thrown off by lesser used characters. I remember one time I got mopped by a Gen simply because I was used to fighting nothing but Ryu, Kens, and Akumas.

This was before Gen won Evo.

Also, the DLC characters for Skullgirls are introduced in between MONTHS of each other which gives us fighting games newbies plenty of time to adapt and learn.

I say this is a tasteful joke, and Mike Z already put the effort into her. Just polish her up and release her with Robo-Fortune to complete it is what I say.

Yes, keep her.

You know what?
Fuck it, I change my vote to support.
She's a really well done joke, and the sheer fact she's a free character is nothing but good.
She's a good framework for the future, eventually she might get better, cooler, and just awesomer all around.

Honestly, she's really no different than Shadow Jago from Killer Instinct. Yes, she's a recolor, but just like Shadow Jago, they could in theory build on her in the future like they're doing with him.

The constantly brought up "go play x if you want y" argument is so flawed that I don't know where to begin and this will end up going in circles and derail the thread if I pursue it further.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back