• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Shantae Series

This new art style is way too anime, but whatever it's a new Shantae game.

Just good old fanart:

tumblr_ncu86xsNFD1sfee6to1_500.png

http://pltnm06ghost.tumblr.com/

with all this whining about how there needs to be more diverse characters in gaming, I always try to remind everyone

Shantae has existed since the Game Boy Color.

Reactions: Osmiumsmith
Just good old fanart:
I would play the hell out of a No More Heroes clone starring Shantae. And seriously though, when's No More Heroes 3? I'm still waiting for that.

with all this whining about how there needs to be more diverse characters in gaming, I always try to remind everyone...Shantae has existed since the Game Boy Color.
What exactly do you mean by "diverse characters?" If you're referring to people that want other types of characters than Space Marines, then yeah, they just need to go back and play some more games.

But...if you're referring to the famed race topic, then I'd hardly describe those discussions as whining. This was brought up earlier in the thread, but even today, Shantae still falls on a VERY small list of characters that match her credentials. Thank goodness HGH will still be bringing us more Brown Shantae next year.

Reactions: Ktulu and Denizen
But...if you're referring to the famed race topic, then I'd hardly describe those discussions as whining. This was brought up earlier in the thread, but even today, Shantae still falls on a VERY small list of characters that match her credentials. Thank goodness HGH will still be bringing us more Brown Shantae next year.
THANK YOU

Last edited:
What exactly do you mean by "diverse characters?" If you're referring to people that want other types of characters than Space Marines, then yeah, they just need to go back and play some more games.

I was mainly poking fun at the most recent movement #Ineedmorediversegames

because I think it's a dumb SJW movement and if you know me, I love making fun of SJWs. :P

plus, I've always thought of Shantae as a character ahead of her time. a female protagonist that isn't a princess or in power armor and is in a platformer. also, I got mad respect for female characters that are willing to show off their bodies. if you can and want to flaunt it, I say flaunt~ it~ Also I view Shantae the same way I view Heather Mason from SH3. Snarky, doesn't take shit, and is female but never brings it up as though it's anything special.

Last edited:
Just good old fanart:/

"Some people f*ck at funerals...I cut off heads while belly dancing"

I would play the hell out of a No More Heroes clone starring Shantae. And seriously though, when's No More Heroes 3? I'm still waiting for that.
"Some people f*ck at funerals...I cut off heads while belly dancing"

Risky, voiced by Erin, teaching Shantae, voiced by Christina, to scream "FUCKHEAD!".

Reactions: AxHell
Hey Sanowhatever, set aside your nerd horniness for a moment and answer a serious question.

Do you agree that there is a severe lack of racial diversity in video game characters and that it would be wrong to take away one of the things that makes Shantae so special? The correct answer is yes, bye the way.

yes, I believe there could be more racial diversity in games, and I think adding in more is more than welcome. And if you're referring to my preference on light skinned Shantae, I just really liked how the red, my favorite color, looked against the light skin she had. And I do think it would be unfair to change ANY character's skin color to another in general, not just darker to light. I'm not saying anything like "man, it sure sucks that Shantae is so tan" or anything like that. Like u said, I love the use of my favorite color in design.

Hey Sanowhatever, set aside your nerd horniness for a moment and answer a serious question.

Do you agree that there is a severe lack of racial diversity in video game characters and that it would be wrong to take away one of the things that makes Shantae so special? The correct answer is yes, bye the way.

Yes, but skin color doesn't make people that special. It is a mere adaptation to excess (dark) or lack (pale) of sun. Also a cosmetic variation on humans appearance to avoid boredom. Makes sense in that setting, she would need a lot sunblock if she was white.

Also, some people got really irrational over the skin color issue instead of discussing it reasonably. The kickstarter had just started.

And I have a space in my heart for sunblock pallete Shantae. Red with white is really pretty.

I really don't like this attitude.
You're both preferring that Shantae be a different race because, "This color works better with a lighter skin tone."
No matter how I look at that it's slightly racist. Not only because it's supporting a race change but also because red is my favorite color and I don't think I look any better or worse in red than a white guy would.
Yes, but skin color doesn't make people that special.
This is incredibly insulting to people who actually have pride in their skin while living in society as a minority.

Last edited:
okay, we're not saying we want Shantae to be white over being tanned. We just like the design of red on a lighter color. One of the reasons I like Skullgirl's design of Isaac is that he wears a red vest over a white shirt. It makes the red look good because it's over white.

and there's nothing wrong with taking pride in you race or skin color, but it does not make you special. No one is better than anyone else because of skin color. Everyone is created equal.

okay, we're not saying we want Shantae to be white over being tanned. We just like the design of red on a lighter color. One of the reasons I like Skullgirl's design of Isaac is that he wears a red vest over a white shirt. It makes the red look good because it's over white.
Preferring a red vest on a white shirt is fine, but I still think that preferring a red bikini on white skin is wrong, because to many people it's not just a color, and I'm not talking about the red.
and there's nothing wrong with taking pride in you race or skin color, but it does not make you special. No one is better than anyone else because of skin color. Everyone is created equal.
Good that's absolutely right I'm glad you understand that, but that's a situational virtue.
In this situation where most video game protagonists are considered white it actually does make Shantae special.

You're both preferring that Shantae be a different race because, "This color works better with a lighter skin tone."
No matter how I look at that it's slightly racist. Not only because it's supporting a race change but also because red is my favorite color and I don't think I look any better or worse in red than a white guy would.

This is incredibly insulting to people who actually have pride in their skin while living in society as a minority.

Well, to me yellow looks better with a dark skin tone than with a light skin tone. Does that make me or the yellow color, racist?

Humm (Black skinned palette with yellow clothes...)

Or, is this article, racist?

http://attireclub.org/2014/02/14/color-of-clothes-for-dark-skin-tones/

If I could have my way, Shantae would have as many color palletes as any of the Skullgirls. Since not, well, brown skinned since is more related to the setting, there is lack of that skin color ingaming and it is a classic. But I still think that shade of red fits pale more than tan. And I still think yellow fits dark more than white. It is just a matter of visual taste.

Besides it is not like brown Shantae isn't beautifful with red.

What annoys me, is being called racist for liking red and white.

Last edited:
Reactions: SanoBaron
I never called anyone here racist, having one questionable preference doesn't make a person definitively racist. People are allowed to have their preferences for what colors look good together. I still think it's weird to apply that sort of reasoning to race but I guess I'm different for considering skin tones to be neutral colors which look good with any rational color scheme. It's probably for that reason that I also think that article is stupid as hell.

If you think that white people look better in red then go ahead and be weird, I admit it was wrong of me to call that sort of reasoning wrong or racist. As long as you don't prefer Shantae to be white then I'm happy.

It's not racist. They just have a differing opinion then you in regards of color theory.

Serious question here. Is Shantae's skin color meant to have anything to do with ethnicity, or is it a tan as a result from her living in such a sunny, tropical location?

Serious question here. Is Shantae's tan meant to have anything to do with ethnicity, or is it a product of her living in such a sunny, tropical location?

In all of the games, Shantae's skin color varied between artists. Majority of fans, myself included, prefer her with a tan skin tone. Which is why early promo stuff for Half Genie Hero shows her with pale skin, but newer stuff shows her with a darker skin tone. =)

I never called anyone here racist, having one questionable preference doesn't make a person definitively racist.

No matter how I look at that it's slightly racist. .

I will recognize that you were rage typing for a moment.

Serious question here. Is Shantae's skin color meant to have anything to do with ethnicity, or is it a tan as a result from her living in such a sunny, tropical location?

Living in Brazil (super sunny) I see people which that have variable color palletes without burning (not me, and some other people, we do burn). There are people that I call "dark whites", these are capable of getting a slightly brown skin color after some carefull time in the sun. And there are people who have that color naturally.

I consider Shantae to have natural brown skin since genies and belly dancing come from an area of the world where that color scheme is common.

Last edited:
It's not racist. They just have a differing opinion then you in regards of color theory.
You're a little late to the party, look at my post above yours.
I will recognize that you were rage typing for a moment.
Oh yeah sorry you're right, I wouldn't call it rage typing though.
No wait actually you misunderstand. I never said the words, "You're racist." I only called a certain preference racist, there's a difference. I don't think anyone here is racist, that would be stupid of me. You're all decent people I assume.
Serious question here. Is Shantae's tan meant to have anything to do with ethnicity, or is it a product of her living in such a sunny, tropical location?
There's a difference between toasted white bread and whole wheat bread.
Bolo looks more like a tanned guy, Shantae is definitely brown.

Well this thread escalated quickly.
It's on its way down, I think we've come to an understanding.

Oh yeah sorry you're right, I wouldn't call it rage typing though.
No wait actually you misunderstand. I never said the words, "You're racist." I only called a certain preference racist, there's a difference. I don't think anyone here is racist, that would be stupid of me. You're all decent people I assume.

Preferences are opinions, opinions based on racism indicate a racist mind setting, therefore a racist person.

Calling an opinion, preference or idea something is an indirect way of calling someone something. I don't know if you were aware of that but just imagine: If you call someone's ideas retarded don't you think that is an insult to that person's inteligence?

Nobody is perfect and the world isn't black and white. A person can have an evil belief and still be a good person.
I do not think you are racist. Don't make this more than what it is, I'm sorry if my natural aggressiveness and unfamiliarity made you think that I was attacking you.

I don't know what your friends are like but when I told my bud about my belief in infinite universes he literally said, "That's some of the dumbest shit I've ever heard you say," and not once have I ever thought that he insulted me. Unless someone means to insult me I'm not going to accuse them of that, I try not to take things too personally.
At least not anymore I don't.

I also got angry, because recently here in Brazil, the "racist", "racism" and "burgeois" words have been used a lot to shut arguments up, specially if you are white.

Okay, let's stop. Peace treat.

But, just for reference, these pajamas

65c300b5f2ff69b4687f6ac07edfb75d_large.png

Fit brown Shantae better. :)

Last edited:
I'll just say, I think red & brown is one of the greatest color combinations in the history of mankind. To anyone that's not convinced, please see below:
0ced2b51d1ff260aa712314bdfbf707e.jpg
5d7636f9e3fcfe790a37d57a530b6f39.jpg
raspberry%20dark%20chocolate%20heart%20cake_0.jpg
Chocolate-Pancakes-150x150.jpg

a-valentines-day-for-one-21300473.jpg
valentine-covered.jpg
68049_150172518359880_1571910_n.jpg
30139med.jpg

Now you know how Shantae makes our mouths water!

I also got angry, because recently here in Brazil, the "racist", "racism" and "burgeois" words have been used a lot to shut arguments up, specially if you are white.

Okay, let's stop. Peace treat.
Agreed, we've found common ground here. That's more than can be said for most debate.
I think that speaks well about both our character.

Reactions: Osmiumsmith
hell, I think there are pros and cons to Shantae in any color.

at the end of the day, Shantae's color scheme looks good either way. I like the red on whiter skin and the darker skin accents the yellows and gives her a nice complimentary color scheme with her hair. all is good with Shantae designs.

also, I don't take too kindly to someone even insinuating I'm racist over a preference of color.

Last edited:
Having a visual preference in someone's color doesn't make you racist, thinking less of someone's color does.
last I checked I never said anything like that. and thank you.

last I checked I never said anything like that. and thank you.

Of course you didn't. That's just how I feel about the issue.