• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Shin Megami Tensei and Persona

but real though i would sacrifice like
5 more persona games if it meant that we got a really good Raidou game

considering the entirety of Persona's existence relies on him succeeding or not, I would say he's a bit out there on taking the spotlight.

Never played a Raidou game. Care to explain?

Raidou is this kick ass detective who forces demons to be his allies by shoving them into tiny tubes and uses a gun and sword...also starred in some of the ealiest SMT PS2 games that were fairly decent. He also saved Tokyo twice...

The Raidou games are high on my bucket list of SMT games. Not before Nocturne though, I really need to get to that.

Dude Nocturne is so gud...Though DMC 2 Dante is eh...
Just a word of advice, build yourself fairly physically, it's required stat for some of the secrets...Also makes a lot of the late game skills super gud!

Never played a Raidou game. Care to explain?
The Raidou/Devil Summoner games actually take place in the same universe as Persona, thanks to a bit of worldbuilding info through the Persona 2 games. (His "last name" is Kuzunoha, as in the Kuzunoha detective agency)

The Raidou/Devil Summoner games actually take place in the same universe as Persona, thanks to a bit of worldbuilding info through the Persona 2 games. (His "last name" is Kuzunoha, as in the Kuzunoha detective agency)
Don't forget, though, that in the English version canon, he's a TV show character, according to Chie in P4. I never really thought of them as connected, honestly, Kuzunoha could've meant they are connected, which would be awesome, though! It also explains quite a bit.

Ok, how does the persona universe depend on him "succeeding" or should I just play the games. I see there are two of them.

Raidou keeps Tokyo and Japan from screwing the world over...but anymore would spoilers...though it involves zombies if you must know.

Don't forget, though, that in the English version canon, he's a TV show character, according to Chie in P4. I never really thought of them as connected, honestly, Kuzunoha could've meant they are connected, which would be awesome, though! It also explains quite a bit.
That was actually an edition in the english localization.
The japanese version references a long and ongoing series of detective dramas whose name escapes me atm
they changed the reference to Kuzunoha so that ppl in the west would actually get the detective comparison

That's what I meant. I guess the english localization technically isn't canon XD

No kazuma kaneko on the p5 trailer, no persona 1/2 musics on dancing all night (but it got p3)

and yes, They're STILL USING KANEKO'S DEMONS

Poor man... feels like they're erasing his existence from his own series.

I'm depressed :(

I think they're more trying to avoid mentioning him. I don't know if they aren't mentioning him out of respect or what, but I heard they practically begged the guy who wrote P2 and P1 to come back and write those remakes.

So the last video of this was taken down but hopefully this one will stay awhile. This is the Phantom crashing the Super Live concert (you can't see him at all. Subs are in the CC)

Also live version of DANCE!

kazuma kaneko
giphy.gif

I love Kazuma Kaneko and all, his demon designs are amazing

but really you expect them to credit the demon designs anywhere else than the ending credits

Plus, he honestly didn't do all of them, did he now? Pretty sure they fall into multiple styles last I checked. There are the painted like ones, which are real high quality, these simpler ones that have darker shading, and some others. It wasn't all him last I checked.

I believe they use the classic Kaneko designs for most of the Wild Card Personas and any of the party Personas/"mascot" Personas (Izanagi, Thanatos, etc.) are done by character designer Soejima. You can usually tell which is which because Kaneko's designs have that signature porcelain-like look to them while Soejima's are a bit more..."cartoony", for lack of a better word.

Soejima's designs are generally anime as fuck which works to a certain extent but I really think that they lack a certain something in comparison to Kaneko's persona designs

Yamaoka.jpg
i mean just look at that.
That's immaculate

Reactions: Nap1400
personally, after seeing some of the new demons in SMT4, I'd hope they do more of those than Kaneko's.

Minotaur is fuckin' metal as shit.

you can't tell me you wouldn't want more designs on the level of MINOTAUR!

not really no
i think minotaur was kinda tryhardy tbh
SMT4 just had a lot of tryhardy design to me tbh

not really no
i think minotaur was kinda tryhardy tbh
SMT4 just had a lot of tryhardy design to me tbh

no u

SMT IV can do no wrong.

Reactions: SanoBaron
if you want more walking masses of spikes and skulls then be my guest
did any of the new designs even HAVE penises on them
you can't just abandon a series tradition like that

if you want more walking masses of spikes and skulls then be my guest
did any of the new designs even HAVE penises on them
you can't just abandon a series tradition like that
no one can abandon our glorious savior, Mara.

that doesn't mean we can't add some skulls and spikes to it.

I prefer Kaneko's simplistic approach to the demon designs than IV tbh. The Archangels going from sort-of alien uncanny valley designs to some kind of overdesigned fleshy thing with a face for a chest for instance.

Plus whatever Lucifer turned into, good YHVH.

but the designers for the demons in iv were also kamen rider designers so something tells me both of us are going to be biased

Reactions: PaperBag_Sniper
4's seem so...weird...Minotaur was cool, as was Medusa kinda. Koga Saburo was cool, maybe Dullahan, but other than them, the pictures feel so flat. Some of the were great, some weren't. It doesn't help that quite a bit of the game is memorizing the world painfully. A lot of the bosses felt 2d in their appearances, ya know? The angles were dumb-looking, honestly, though they managed to instill in me an absolute hatred for the law path, so kudos to them.

Law is a bunch of jerkfaces and horrible horrible things...Still not over what Chiaki did in Nocturne...though she's more Chaos, isn't she?
And Chaos is a bunch of morons who know absolutely nothing about how pointless and stupid their actions are, considering chaos always leads to someone taking over and establishing some form of government anyways. XD

Anyway, we're pretty off topic from Persona. I mean, SMT is still kinda on topic, yes?

but the designers for the demons in iv were also kamen rider designers so something tells me both of us are going to be biased
B26V_7IIQAMqFUx.jpg

why no one tell me this?!

explains why they were so lame
the designers were out of their elements

explains why they were so lame
the designers were out of their elements
at least it's a change of pace from porcelain people everywhere.
anyway, we are getting off track.
my best friend still refuses to watch the Persona 5 PV, and he loves Persona WAY more than me.
like, he's put several hundreds of hours into P4.

YO! HOLD UP! Keita Amamiya designed some of the demons?! hell! make him a regular!

Last edited:
Famitsu leaks incoming.

-MC's Persona is "Arsene", as in Arsene Lupin, the phantom thief.
-MC lives with parents' friends at a coffee shop. Likely where he and the others hung out in that trailer.
-MC is second year, as per the standard.
-Seems like storyline dungeons won't be randomly generated, though RNG isn't gone completely.
-Something similar to social links will be in.
-Game takes place in Tokyo. We mainline MegaTen now.

Reactions: BeatNinja
no u

SMT IV can do no wrong.
You don't appear to remember SMTIV's world map

That's more wrong than anything

Famitsu leaks incoming.

-MC's Persona is "Arsene", as in Arsene Lupin, the phantom thief.
-MC lives with parents' friends at a coffee shop. Likely where he and the others hung out in that trailer.
-MC is second year, as per the standard.
-Seems like storyline dungeons won't be randomly generated, though RNG isn't gone completely.
-Something similar to social links will be in.
-Game takes place in Tokyo. We mainline MegaTen now.
Social Links staying is the best news I've heard all day.

Reactions: SanoBaron
Coffee confirmed for source of MC's too stronk speed

yo, I'm just sayin' I would love Keita Amemiya to come back for some more demon designs.
image75.png

smtiv.jpg

i'm all for creative takes on angels
but "writhing mass of spikes and metal" is a bit too 90s anti-hero series for my tastes

It's all so...random...doesn't seem to have much rhyme or reason for the placement, nor does the design feel very applicable. It's not even a disgusting angel, it's just a robot tat's apparently an angel.