• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Shin Megami Tensei and Persona

I liked the more chibi artstyle.

and I like how Junpei looked as garbage as he is.
I WILL FIGHT YOU ON THE STREET AND LOSE! Junpei is easily one of the best charactes in Persona. He's useful due to high crit chance when built right and the character developement he goes through in Persona 3 is a lot more tangible than most of the cast!

Reactions: BeatNinja
Junpei isn't that great of a party member (unless we're talking about The Answer, in which case he is one of the best) but he probably has the best character development. He's really underrated.

i think junpei's character arc is largely dumb and it does that thing where they have a female character there to make a dude experience emotions and then the female character dies
i don't like that thing
junpei's dumb

Junpei is really up to tastes, I guess, but Kanji is definately one of the best P4 characters, easily. Based on just on who he is and what they do with him. It even manages to extend to his personality in the spinoffs...except Q. Teacher? Where the hell did becoming a teacher come from?

Junpei is really up to tastes, I guess, but Kanji is definately one of the best P4 characters, easily. Based on just on who he is and what they do with him. It even manages to extend to his personality in the spinoffs...except Q. Teacher? Where the hell did becoming a teacher come from?
haven't gotten that far, is it a recurring thing he talks about or is it a plotline thing?

It's a one time mention that comes right the hell outta nowhere at the end of his subplot with Ken...in the P4 storyline of Q. And it is never mentioned again.

Sorry to interrupt Junpei/art talk but some Persona figures were spotted at this year's Wonder Festival (aka figures/nendoroids/nerdy things I want and too expensive to buy). Spoilering for image size.

I'm sure someone here likes this toaster
tumblr_njfyqdrEUj1tkk9vxo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_njfyqdrEUj1tkk9vxo2_540.jpg

tumblr_njfyqdrEUj1tkk9vxo3_400.jpg

tumblr_njfyqdrEUj1tkk9vxo5_1280.jpg

Someone here is a P2 fan I think
wf2013w_145.jpg

Back to Junpei talk: I didn't mind him as a character since he grew a little more in the P3FeMC route an irritation to respecting the MC more. With PQ's heightened character tropes, I feel that game made him/Yosuke more of the butt monkeys then they were in the original games. I benched him though for most P3 though. I wasn't a fan of his physical skills since I like using respective weaknesses/covering most of the physical attack types with my characters then Junpei.

you say that but you're a liar if you say that can't picture kanji as like
a kindergarten teacher or something

It's a one time mention that comes right the hell outta nowhere at the end of his subplot with Ken...in the P4 storyline of Q. And it is never mentioned again.
coulda been a reference.
lots of punk characters become teachers in japanese media.
GTO, Fourze, etc etc.

I can picture it man, but I feel it just comes out of nowhere and they hammer him about it and then the whole thing is ust never mentioned again. Plus, we've seen what can realy be considered his canon vision and dream for his future.

But, that Apollo job man! THAT LABRYS MAN! Labrys is one of my favorite Persona characters. I want it man...Might have to budget for that....

Speaking of Persona 2 I'm playing Innocent Sin right now. Gonna lay downs some truths here

-Demon Negotiation in this game suuuuuuuuuuucks. It's one thing to get around a few RNG filled questions and payments to get a new party member, it's a whole different beast when you have to discover which conversation option will elicit an Eager reaction, remember that option, risk getting RNG filled questions in the process, and then do it 20 more times because you need so many Tarot cards to get a new Persona. Nocturne remains the only game that made Negotiation fun.
-Because of the above, the only Persona I have right now that isn't a starter is Pixie. I'm screwed.
-Fusion spells are broken. Only reason I've survived this long alongside the MP regeneration.
-Encounter rates are stupidly high. Please tell me Estoma has a real effect when I get it.

Right now the only thing keeping me going is the characters. Which are all pretty awesome, I admit.

Demon Negotiation can be tough, but I enjoy quite a bit of the interactions. You might want to start grinding cards before trying to move on, that way you can get new personas, youll need them!

demon negotiation in persona sucks in general.
I at least find it better in P2 than it was in P1.
also, demon negotiations should stay in SMT games where you use demons
not in persona where you use personas.

Reactions: Jutsei
I mostly agree. That reminds me, while we won't be getting demon negotiation probably, do you think they'll bring back demon cads? Like to power up personas or get them?

I should play Persona 2 sometime. It's the only one I haven't tried yet. I noticed there are two different versions on the PSN store, Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment. I did some reading online but I'm not sure if I should just play one or both of them. Which would should I play first? Do you need to play both?

Last edited:
Innocent Sin first, Eternal Punishment second.

EP's the sequel to IS. It's essentially Persona 2-2.

you can actually play Eternal Punishment without having played Innocent Sin, but you miss out a lot of extra details
the story is actually largely coherent on its own, surprisingly

Interrupting constructive conversation for a PSA (Persona Service Announcement):

Severe AGIDYNE included

Last edited:
So, just a random question, has anyone else just felt a super charge of creativity due to the P5 PV and how P5 is all about thieves and shit?
Because I did.
I already made a goddamn Phantom Thief AU for one of my characters.

Bless this setting.
Bless how P3-P5 always have completely different feels and main things to them

I recently made Chair-kun in Skyrim. Joined the thieves guild too.

You're not the only one who's in the mood for a good ol' fashion heist.

Reactions: Clawsome Bombs
Brb making Heist-kun Mii in Smash as a Shooter with Sanic speed levels

Reactions: BeatNinja
P4 Dance and P5 news today

Character Profiles
  • Yosuke - He and his friends head out to the city where Yu is for unspecified reasons during the story.
  • Chie - Like in fighting, her dance style has copious amounts of kung fu.
  • Kanji - His dance style makes copious use of his brute strength to charm his audience
  • Teddie - He refers to himself in the article as “The Prince of Dance.”
Battle System

• Players are tasked with beating back Shadows by dancing.
  • Players will tap buttons that appear on screen in time to rhythm. (Left side of screen: Up, Left, and Down. Right side: Triangle, Circle, and X.)
  • The game features familiar twists like simultaneous button presses, long presses (seen as a pair of H’s inside a long oval), and such.
  • Players can build up combos and trigger special scenes. More information on that is coming at a later date.
  • Duets with two dancers also occur in the game, in addition to characters dancing solo.
  • The enemy icon from the Shin Megami Tensei Super Nintendo games appears at the top of screen during dances.
Persona-4-DAN_DPS-Scan_02-11-15_004.jpg

that chie though
  • Protagonist - The article kicks off with the headline, “Steal back the future!” The protagonist gains his Persona after a certain incident unfolds and confronts a great darkness enveloping the city.
  • Story – The protagonist and friends attend Shujin Academy, a private high school. (The name is a play on the Japanese word for prisoner, shuujin.)
  • Setting - Gameplay predominantly takes place in Shibuya. As those who read Japanese may have already spotted in the trailer, the name is rendered in kanji on the sign during the subway station scene, making it plausible the game takes place in Tokyo proper. The atmosphere of the game will feature elements to give it the feeling of big city life, like packed train platforms full of commuters.
  • Awakening - The magazine “theorizes” that the scene with blue flames enveloping the protagonist in last week’s trailer is him awakening to his Persona and another side of himself that’s greatly different from his public demeanor. Blue flames are believed to turn into masks.
  • Lesson (Classes) - Student life alive and well, and calendar and weather systems also return.
  • Prisoner - The prison motif seen in the trailer is believed to be in relation to Picaresque Romance motif Hashino discussed earlier.
  • Hideout - Judging by appearance, it is likely that it’s the cafe the protagonist lives in.
  • Student by Day, Thief by Night - Nights are for dungeon crawling as cast puts on their masks, seemingly in search of a specific something to steal.
  • Sneak - As in Persona 3 and Persona 4, battles use a symbol encounter system, meaning you can see enemies on screen and engage in battle by colliding into them. Players can avoid enemy contact by sneaking around in order to proceed, though.
  • All-Out Attack - The gang-up footage in trailer is confirmed to be return of the All-Out Attack system. It likely still relies on exploiting enemy weaknesses to trigger.
  • Mask – Characters wear their masks during dungeon crawling, and they’re likely a key item story-wise during those segments, too.
  • Cooperation - The magazine speculates that the Cooperation menu option is the system replacing Social Links involving getting closer to allies.
  • Arsene - The protagonist’s Persona. It has black wings and red getup.
  • Sound - Shoji Meguro’s soundtrack is set to be acid jazz this time around.
P5_DPS-Scan_02-11-15_002.jpg

More pics at the link here and here.

Gameplay for P4 Dance probably won't be as fun as Project Diva mainly because of the fixed positions, but it has P4 music/characters so I can deal with it.

Glad to know P5 is not ditching alot of the fun stuff that was seen in P3/P4.

Reactions: Clawsome Bombs
what if Carmen Sandiego steals the future and the game suddenly becomes a globe trotting adventure

Dat Kanji face though
Persona-4-DAN_DPS-Scan_02-11-15_005.jpg

Here's some more P5 scans from Dengeki
I like this picture of the P5 protag
P5_DPS-Scan_02-11-15_001.jpg

Is that a giant gun on Arsene's head?
P5_DPS-Scan_02-11-15_004.jpg

Sneaking around with the crew in the first picture
P5_DPS-Scan_02-11-15_003.jpg

Edit: P4 DAN Icon edition. Use them if you feel like it.
jfNO33x.png

tnuUCBK.png

x6jcDDe.png

g4LiXT7.png

cJmg8rG.png]

Extras - Arsene and P5MC from ^
CGnVhUA.png

FhLzCCg.png

Last edited:
aw dangit. now I gotta change

using the Rise one as of now

No don't change
More Kanji is always welcome

no! you don't know what it's like having the same avatar as someone!

also thank you.

Last edited:
No in fact, I don't because she never told me

Sometimes I wonder if it was my fault
*a heavy silence fills the air*

well you can't have rise with out the clu-OONTZ OONTZ OONTZ OONTZ OONTZ OONTZ OONTZ OONTZ OONTZ OONTZ OONTZ OONTZ OONTZ OONTZ OONTZ

Reactions: SanoBaron