• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Shin Megami Tensei and Persona

The game literally started out as a concept of "Fire Emblem set in the modern day".

Then they saw SMT hanging out on the floor and thought "hey, maybe we can do something with that".

by the by, the character portraits they show in the beginning of the trailer look a lot like the character art for Zero Escape

The game literally started out as a concept of "Fire Emblem set in the modern day".

Then they saw SMT hanging out on the floor and thought "hey, maybe we can do something with that".

I really want to believe this, but if that concept doesn't involve FE style missions and combat, I'm out.

based on everything...I don't think it will have SRPG gameplay. We see 3-4 character thruout the trailer and they're the only ones. They all participate in battle, so I assume it will be turn based basic RPG fare. I was hoping for SRPG and tile movement, but considering we can also move along the world and dungeons in a normal strolling manner like SMT games, I'm assuming no FE-style combat. Not that FE elements won't make their way into the combat...I hope.

I think a more accurate title for this game, from the looks of the trailer, would be Persona X Persona. Also fitting considering how self indulgent the school-life jrpg is starting to get after the initial burst of quality that Persona 4 brought.

Reactions: DDB
There's still the matter of the weapon triangle that could still exist.

There's still the matter of the weapon triangle that could still exist.

Yeah, but a weapon triangle without positioning/movement doesn't really accomplish anything that elemental weaknesses and press turns don't already. This really needs to be an s-rpg, or else they should straight up take FE out of the title.

Reactions: PaperBag_Sniper
you all except @Gahooglydonks and @North888 are overreacting. also @Squire Grooktook
all it is that it's not everyone looking like pale vampires and shit.
I think it looks good.
ENTIRE SMT FANBASE IS BABIES!
I don't like sniping a game based off a single trailer but as it has been pointed out, this trailer doesn't really show us anything that reflects the Main SMT titles, or Fire Emblem. It's very much so Persona 4 x Persona 4 with FE characters made costumes and summons. When this game got pitched I immediately thought of the Super Robot Wars franchise which is features tactical combat and crossovers aplenty.

I'll admit I did blow a small gasket when I saw the trailer because I've been waiting for some news for two years. But Atlus has already been losing me with how much they have been repackaging Persona 4 for the last half decade. And with how disappointing SMT IV was story-wise and Gameplay-wise when compared to it's predecessors. I'm not a fire emblem fan but I thought that something interesting would come from this.

They are going to have to put out better footage to convince me that this project isn't just going to amount to poor fanwank.

Let it just be known, if it turns out that this actually is an srpg with mechanics from both series, I could turn around in a second and be super mega hype for it.

this trailer doesn't really show us anything that reflects the Main SMT titles

Definitely another point. SMT series is usually defined by post-apocalyptic settings and whatnot. The social setting and bright colors imply a complete lack of that, like this is going to be another Midnight Hour or TV World focused story.

And with how disappointing SMT IV was story-wise and Gameplay-wise when compared to it's predecessors.

Heh, I actually felt SMT IV was pretty strong story-wise. Felt like a pretty smooth balancing act between the more plot driven mainline games and the more character driven spin offs. Otherwise I agree about the gameplay, in several areas they seriously dropped the ball on what could have otherwise been the best smt game.

Reactions: PaperBag_Sniper
tbh, there's not a lot going on in the trailer.
for all we know, the 4 characters shown are part of a much bigger group.
I still like the designs, there's a feel of both fire emblem and SMT, though it's very hard to describe where and how.
it's still way too early to really judge this game on the one trailer.

Heh, I actually felt SMT IV was pretty strong story-wise. Felt like a pretty smooth balancing act between the more plot driven mainline games and the more character driven spin offs. Otherwise I agree about the gameplay, they seriously dropped the ball on what could have been a fantastic game in several areas.
This one always comes down to personal opinion. For me once you make it past the first major hurdle of the story and get to the second area the game starts to get interesting. But then the ending feels like it falls off. It's not bad per-se, but I've been through SMT 2 and felt like the leadup to the law/chaos endings weren't that good. (Neutral is hard to mess up in any of these games since it's usually the "best" ending). And the way this games Law and Chaos heroes transitioned into their respective alignments felt pretty shallow. The same could be said of Strange Journey's characters as well.

I also miss having a 6 man party but that was a casualty of the introduction of the Press-turn system. (Which is a great system regardless). It used to be that other main characters occupied a dedicated spot in your part. It didn't affect party diversity either because both SMT I and II only ever force a maximum of two additional party members onto you at any given point in time leaving you with 3-4 slots for demons and quest specific allies.

In SMT IV your extra members are these weird, uncontrollable attachments to your party that don't cast the spells you want them too when you need them too. I wouldn't have minded if Isabeu, Walter, or Johnathan just took up a party slot because than they could be made a part of my planning process. It was more than a few times when they would cast a spell that some enemy could reflect or absorb and the A.I. didn't seem to learn from this.

tbh, there's not a lot going on in the trailer.
I still like the designs, there's a feel of both fire emblem and SMT, though it's very hard to describe where and how.
it's still way too early to really judge this game on the one trailer.
The only SMT vibe I can point to was the ruined city shown towards the end of the trailer. But this whole project feels very Persona 3-4 in that it's a mundane setting with a hidden world where fighting takes place.

what in the fresh fuck would you define as an SMT design or an FE design if those reminded you of them
I'm honestly curious here

Yeah, possible. Although hopefully this doesn't mean a retread of Devil Survivor's combat, which feels more like Final Fantasy Tactics in its grind and planning focused approach compared to Fire Emblems moment to moment fast paced puzzle solving.

I think that's because there isn't, or isn't enough ;)

Otherwise I agree. Will wait on this before judging.

I also miss having a 6 man party but that was a casualty of the introduction of the Press-turn system. (Which is a great system regardless). It used to be that other main characters occupied a dedicated spot in your part. It didn't affect party diversity either because both SMT I and II only ever force a maximum of two additional party members onto you at any given point in time leaving you with 3-4 slots for demons and quest specific allies.

In SMT IV your extra members are these weird, uncontrollable attachments to your party that don't cast the spells you want them too when you need them too. I wouldn't have minded if Isabeu, Walter, or Johnathan just took up a party slot because than they could be made a part of my planning process. It was more than a few times when they would cast a spell that some enemy could reflect or absorb and the A.I. didn't seem to learn from this.

Yeah the extra members were garbage. My main issue though was saving in dungeons (takes the tension out) and the removal of the defense stat, which turned battles into brute force.

But without bumping the appropriate thread, it's time we all started talking about the real SMT X FE. Apparently the pairing system is being fixed by letting enemies do it too, so prepare your body. Also as someone else on another forum noted, I will laugh my ass off if there's a third faction/route between Hoshido and Nohr that amounts to Neutral.

Yeah, this is such a huge reaction, the way you see these reactions you'd think as if the Antichrist was born.

That's the plot twist the game needs to be taken seriously, actually.

And both SMT4 and digital devil saga knows full well how to do a quick switch from dark to funny.

This disgrace even tries to rip off ff13 summons (that only exists to sell transformer-like toys and failed even at it IMO)

Yeah....

I'm not gonna overreact until I see some lengthy gameplay to get a better idea of the direction/aesthetics, but that trailer....was everything I didn't expect. Seems like it's trying to appeal the later Persona/moe demographic then actually staying with the theme of SMT or Fire Emblem.

Hopefully the marketing can give a better impression next time.

like I said, I don't know why or how to explain it,
but I feel they fit.

let's hope Yoshi Marketing can give us something more to go on with future reveals.

again, I still feel some people are overreacting, some here, other elsewhere.
I'm not gonna name any names specifically.
just gonna say some people need to chill out a bit.

How about instead of bashing things we celebrate some other games, huh? That's what I usually like to do whenever something rather polarizing seems to happen in gaming.

So how about that Nocturne eh

Sure. Dancing Nanako never fails to make me smile.

2729855-0903304318-8Agzz.gif

Now I remember the gameplay changes of Dance bummed me out so that smile disappeared fast.

So how about that Nocturne eh
which version? Dante is number one!

Nocturne does a great job of making me hate everyone, but I love the game.

The game has spawned the single greatest inside joke between my friends ever: "Your hat bugs me."

which version? Dante is number one!

Nocturne does a great job of making me hate everyone, but I love the game.

The game has spawned the single greatest inside joke between my friends ever: "Your hat bugs me."

Maniax is pretty much the definitive version of the game, it's basically what the creator wanted the original JP release to be.

Unless you're referring to Raidou Vs Dante. Obviously Dante always wins though.

Raidou has Pierce so unfortunately he wins in pure stats.

Dante still wins on the front of being featured from the Devil May Cry series though.

raidou can pierce the heavens
dante is shitty dmc2 dante and can't even fill dark souls with light

Reactions: Clawsome Bombs
Imagine if this was Persona 5
It would be an interesting take on the series. Let's assume that the FE armors seen in the trailer are a new form of persona. Instead of summoning a secondary entity you literally equip a persona and fight with it. It would make an interesting story element/game mechanic for sure.

Man, I hope there's like
A SMT X Anything next
All this reaction to no gameplay is great

11096576_1561909470756215_3562824684520426894_n.jpg

Reactions: North888
That "Psycho Rage" Jack Frost probably belongs on the What I Got area given some reactions.

I think most of the anger is based on the fact we got 0 information for over two years, then when we did, we got...this.
It took me off guard but I'm ready for it.

Oh I know. I mean I was more than a little confused when I first saw the trailer. Like I said in the Direct thread: it could be a bait-and-switch for the darker atmosphere and all the gameplay. Until we see more of the game, hopefully at E3, I'll just be tilting my head in confusion until then. My neck is gonna hurt for the next two months.

If more news leads to this being what the actual game is like, I'll have to mentally prepare myself big time.

SMTxFE_Apr012015_02.jpg

SMTxFE_Apr012015_06.jpg
Here are some screencaps from the trailer. Looks like the party stands around an enemy and takes turns duking it out ala Persona 3+4. The presence of a combo meter reminds me of the Tales combat system, don't know how it plays out in this game though.

I'm curious to see how many "costumes" each MC can wear. The girl in the trailer seems to have 3 but the dudes seem to only get 1 each. She could be the equivalent to the Fool arcana in this game and the other party members are given less forms to choose from.

Towards the bottom, underneath the party turn order line, I can see what I assume are the attack names being used. The top one has what I believe to be a force affinity icon and the bottom attack has a lightning affinity. There is also an artist subtitle so maybe you fight by choosing different music tracks? Maybe the combo meter works by you stringing together tracks that synergize together. It would also make the Session subtitle on the combo meter make sense.

So in addition to the idol-like appearance of the characters, we may also be fighting with music. I'll admit that I'm not a big fan of the idol culture but that does sound interesting.

So after school
They also go to the Midnight Stage
Except they can actually use their weapons
That's my current theory.

Basically I think someone is bringing back the Dress System from FF X-2...about time.

If we get songs like "YRP, Fight" or "Let Me Blow You a Kiss" then
Oh baby yes

Next to Vermilion Fire and the FFXIII series FMS music, I play those songs on FF Curtain Call all the time
FFX-2 was fun

On topic:

SMTFE.jpg

This guy looks pretty rad

I do agree that it is too early to tell...but..

initial impressions IMO
IDK, the SMT X FE trailer seems to be all over the place. It doesn't really help that nothing was really explained so it doesn't help any initial impressions of the game. Especially with how different the new trailer was versus the old one, which was just more of a hype fest of characters appearing from their respective franchises.

I think it just didn't meet the expectations for the mood and tone of the game for majority of those who were waiting for any news about it (myself included). Personally, I feel that with SMT in the title, it was going to be more along the Shin Megami Tensei line of games in terms of the mood; demons, contracts, darker overtones, etc. NOT the Shin Megami Tensei Persona games. To be fair, Shin Megami Tensei WAS in the title of the Persona games too until P5 was announced (this could be changed on release though) and the crossover appears to be more along the Persona tones (especially the more bubbly mood of P4). Perhaps it will be darker in the long run, like P3 was but once again, it's really too early to tell that based on the trailer.

Also, I honestly didn't know what they were going to do with the battle system since the series have two very different systems and still don't. This is going to be one of the key factors for me since the battle system is everything in an RPG game. I'll wait for more videos on that over the 2 seconds in the trailer.

I did see some FE things in the trailer and that was nice (Tiki lookalike, blue haired girl looked like a modern Pegasus knight, red hair guy the general, etc). You can also see what classes they are in the brief battle section next to their faces. I won't go into this too much since this is the SMT thread and it would just detail into FE talk.

EDIT: found an interesting interview this morning on the game http://mynintendonews.com/2015/04/0...s-very-challenging-to-add-fire-emblem-aspect/

Anyways about that P4DAN game
  • it will come out on June 25th 2015 for JP
  • Everyone gets their plain winter clothes as an outfit. Did Kanji always have weird sparkly stuff on his pants in winter? Never noticed before
    Kanji-Costume-1.jpg
  • Famitsu has it's own special edition which comes with this fancy LED thing so you can DANCE ALL NIGHT in your room... by yourself
    CBHJ-ICWUAABI7U.jpg:orig

Last edited:
To be honest, I was expecting a literal SMT x FE crossover instead of something completely new with FE characters that happen to be there. I'll also wait to see more videos about this game, but so far, I kind of wish Atlus would tone down on the anime stuff. (Or at least get rid of the high school setting. I'm tired of that.)
Then again, that's what sells in today's society.

As with many others, I was also expecting a Persona Q styled crossover of SMT and Fire Emblem, and came out disappointed.

But I dont mind Persona 6

So is Dante from Devil May Cry gonna cameo at least?

I'm far from a SMT guy, but i'm not at all sure why this is such a surprise. Since this games development began, two things have been numerically proven:
A) Fire Emblem's best sales have come from hyper-anime writing and character design with water down combat mechanics, and ONLY with that,
and B) People are more than willing to buy Persona 4 78 times.
Honestly, it would have been more shocking if it wasn't like this.