• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Shin Megami Tensei and Persona

Atlas has been releasing videos that feature cooperative attacks and character specific finishing screens. We'd already seen one during the 3rd of 4th PV but here are the rest

Morgana (not an actual AoA video though)

Ryuji

Anne

Makoto

Yusuke

Hero

Kind of sad nobody has an "All according to plan" quote.

Reactions: Dragonage2ftw
We haven't seen Goro's yet. NEVER SAY NEVER.

Need that full battle theme though

Seeing Mephisto and Cleopatra for DLC (And late game DLC,at that)physically hurts my soul,man.

Seeing Mephisto and Cleopatra for DLC (And late game DLC,at that)physically hurts my soul,man.
Can't say I'm surprised. That's how it was over in Japan, too.

Anyway, apparently some people have come back from one of the P5 demo events Atlus has been holding over in Japan and have shared some of what they've learned with Persona Central. If you're willing to weather MASSIVE STORY SPOILERS for the beginning of Persona 5, here's a link to the PC article showing what they've collected.

Solid video, a couple of things I didn't know about the mainline series.

Some interesting details have been uncovered on what's going on in the Velvet Room this time around.

• Persona fusion is done at the guillotine. There are two different shown types of fusion this time around: Two-body and group (which is used for all 3+ persona fusions). As in P3 and P4, co-op levels give experience bonuses to persona of relevant arcana. Like in P4G, you can search for the desired persona and choose which skills will be inherited. Katsura Hashino has said that the execution represents erasing the masks that represent you in order to create a new one.
  • At the noose, you can sacrifice personas to others for an experience boost, a la Nocturne and Persona Q. If you sacrifice a persona to another persona of the same arcana, the experience gain is boosted.
  • At the electric chair, you can turn a persona you don't want into a useful item, similar to the Mystic Change in earlier Persona games and the items some sacrificed personas left behind in Persona Q.
  • New to the series is solitary confinement. It's possible to send a persona to solitary confinement for an intense training session. This session will last for a certain amount of in-game time (which can be lowered with co-op levels in the relevant arcana), but when it comes out, it'll have learned new skills and possibly overcame its weaknesses.

But

Personas are friends. Not food.

I don't wanna send lil Jack Frost to solitary confinement :C

I can't wait to murder bosses with my impenetrable,weakless-ness Personas

One hitting the final boss with Jack Frost when?

The Daybreakers is out on Crunchyroll or your preferred free illegal streaming site.

It's pretty good.

its a shame Queen of Smol Style didn't get an appearance.
but pretty good seeing what the cool kids on the block are gonna entail.

Why is this smelly toddler following us around.

We got hearts to steal. This is not a babysitting service.

Japanese stories always need an unnecessary child support characters
They're just trying to make this one waifu bait

boy and I thought futaba had already set a new low for the series
glad to see that Persona can still surprise me!!!!

I was joking
She's more of a baby character anyways

Famitsu's put out their review for Persona 5. 39/40 was the rating. Should be the highest a MegaTen game's ever gotten, if it were worth much anymore.

Remember that time they gave Jojo's ASB,that slow,laggy mess a 40/40
I wish I could forget

Ive been playing some P4U recently...god...the potential for other characters and story stuff with a fighting game is there...hopefully they'll make another with more of just a Persona Arena, or Megaten arena...Love to see Demi Fiend, Raidou, maybe even someone like Nemissa as playable characters with how different and unique they can be.

A proper SMT fightan made my Arcsys is like #2 on my top 5 fightans I want Arcsys to make.

#1 being One Piece. And the 3DS game does not count.

they coulda added Persona 2 characters but noooooooo we need another robot with an axe and two shitheadfuckcocks and Marie

Eikichi's been ready to go for 15 years now and they won't let him

According to the Famitsu review, the game clocks in at 80 hours, which is the average for console SMT games methinks. If you're taking your time anyway.

they coulda added Persona 2 characters but noooooooo we need another robot with an axe and two shitheadfuckcocks and Marie

Eikichi's been ready to go for 15 years now and they won't let him
In general, they've been refusing to acknowledge the pre-social link era games outside of cameos and wholesale plot ripoffs. I think it has something to do with how the pre-SL era had a completely different dev team than the one we got starting with P3 and how they're paying respect by not mucking about with their characters... or something like that, at least.

and wholesale plot ripoffs
And character designs.
latest

how they're paying respect by not mucking about with their characters...
They'd much rather muck up their own.

This is a nice title screen.

Crwq1jBXEAEQ9NF.jpg:large
That looks like a combination of P4's loading screen mixed with some Catherine style.

Goro's getting shafted from all the promotional art.

Are they gonna fix the battle system so its not a messy throw-together of mechanics this time? Cause I'd be down for that if it was (also fix Akihiko while you're at it)
That doesn't confirm a new PQ is coming. I think it's just a tribute illustration.

Well then I welcome the image. I always liked that art style :D

I want a Persona starring adults tbh.

Struggling through mid-life crisis, nowhere jobs, and disintegrating marriages in an Escher-esque shadow-world would be the bomb yo.

Wake me up when they get some balls and ditch the highschool setting. It's been 4 games. Time to graduate motherfuckers.

The persona, a manifestation of the self to face life's hardships....Like a receding hairline.

I want a Persona starring adults tbh.

Struggling through mid-life crisis, nowhere jobs, and disintegrating marriages in an Escher-esque shadow-world would be the bomb yo.

Wake me up when they get some balls and ditch the highschool setting. It's been 4 games. Time to graduate motherfuckers.
basically all of Persona 2: EP's cast is adults, mang

Reactions: DukeMagus
Yeah I'd forgotten about that lol.

Sadly I don't think we'll see that again, given current trends.

I'm sure p5 will be a solid game, but I can't help but get that "this gameplay/story premise didn't need another revisit" feel, at least for me.

I'll probably be passing on it unless I hear something particularly amazing or interesting about it. Just not exciting enough to cash in 80 hours and 50 bucks tbh. Most I can say from what I've seen is that it gives me some nostalgia for a nearly 10 year old game. And that's kinda damning in itself.

Last edited: