• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Shin Megami Tensei (including Persona, Devil Summoner, Devil Survivor, and all that good stuff)

that crossbows guy with her is also pretty hype.

Atlus in 2014
ku-xlarge.gif

So I picked up Shin Megami Tensei 4 finally and honestly, I'm having mixed first impressions of the game.

So far the characters I haven't really become too attached to, the world itself is confusing like some people talking ye old language while others talk perfect 21st century, The smirk system is dumb, it's way too hard all of a sudden (SMT2 wasn't this hard at the beginning), the monster designs are okay and dying is just lulz. Also I miss the cathedral of shadows being dark and creepy, here it seems too cutesy.

Idk why, but this game really reminds me of Attack on Titan....not sure why.

I will say I'm glad they went back to SMT2's style battle system, the music is pretty good and it looks great graphically. Besides the smirk, the battle system aint too bad either.

I'll play more into it, but I'm having more fun playing Etrian Odyssey than SMT4 so far.

So about SMT... the first game is coming to the iOS

the interface aged horibly, the menus are clunky and the mechanics outdated EVEN FOR SMT STANDARDS.

still want it on my android phone. would be even nicer on 3ds eshop, but i'll get what they offer

Still, that glorious soundtrack. SMT1 was the first main-series SMT I played, and it was pretty amazing to me.

the mechanics outdated EVEN FOR SMT STANDARDS.

You day that like SMT doesn't have top notch mechanics. Press Turn combat and Fusing are still the best mechanics in any dungeon crawl.

But yeah, it's not an easy game to play if you're used to new rpg's. Even compared to relatively contemporary games like Final Fantasy IV, SMT1 and 2 are very difficult to play. But if you don't mind that they are pretty aces. Otherwise just watch Raidou Frosts amazing lp's of them.

The Press Turn system first showed up in Nocturne.

The Press Turn system first showed up in Nocturne.

Yes I know that. But he said "by smt standards" as if smt still has outdated mechanics or something. It's probably ahead of everyone else, if anything.

I was talking about the menus and navigation. This takes way too long an has little innovation even in strange journey

Eh, it's an rpg menu, not like there's much way to improve that beyond just choosing the category (items, equipment, party, etc.) you want.

I'll admit, SMT1's biggest problem was having to fumble like 2-3 menus just to get to a map.

the menus in Strange Journey though were actually pretty good honestly.

Just in time for BB release too?!

This is going to be the best April ever!

eheheheheh

Wow. Things are going down up in here!

So Raidou's great and all, but there was something suspicious.

The fact the the description for Raidou before downloading it wasn't describing Raidou...

It was describing Digital Devil Saga.

is Fire Emblem x Shin Megami Tensei happening still

No word about cancelling. BUT wiiu still needs to be more popular or nintendo will start developing a new console sooner than we imagined

let's wait and see

I've been playing the shit out of SMT IV lately, it's pretty great so far. Hard as balls, but it's the rewarding kind of hard.

SMTIV is great. They culled a lot of the beginner-unfriendly difficulty from the game, like changing how escapes work from Nocturne, fewer instant kills, and if protagonist dies the rest of the party can keep on fighting. SMTIV just disposes of a lot of the archaic stuff that scares people away from Nocturne. It's a legitimate sequel. And the voice acting is fantastic.

TBH my ONLY complaint is saving in dungeons. Makes them feel less like a place of danger. Admittedly It's tolerable and partly necessary due to how everything is a glass cannon now.

Last edited:
My problem with SMTIV is the lack of a defense stat.

Oh and Smirk. Screw Smirk.

Last edited:
Reactions: Squire Grooktook
Two pieces of fan art for SMT IV I stumbled across tonight, gave me a good laugh (dunno how old these are).

1392779521485.png

tumblr_mx7zhbITS11rm3a56o1_1280.jpg

Can not stop laughing at this.

Reactions: jam1220
I just got the Law ending. Amazing, amazing game. Definitely going after the other endings. The final boss was surprisingly easy, especially after other bosses like Medusa and King Kenji gave me such a hard time.

Honestly the only hard part of SMTIV was the beginning up to The Minotaur and Medusa.

And the bonus bosses and DLC bosses.

Nocturne comes on PSN today.

Where's that Matador comic.

I can't wait for them to experience true agony.

DDS duology HD ver on vita...

I can dream can't I?

Reactions: DDB
the vita getting any worthwhile games is quite the dream, yes

Well I guess it's time to pick up my old save on the PS2 version and try to beat this motherfucker..Or start a new game

Matador alts for Nanako and Dojima in P4: DAN plz

Matador isn't hard because the entirety of Nocturne is hard. After Matador things only get worse.

Well, he is not that hard, but he can be really tricky