• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Project Skulldate: The Unoffical Skullgirls Dating Sim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
lockjawsaga.PNG

LockjawSaga
is in the game Super Skullgirls RPG!
As an Easter Egg

Last edited:
HOORAY FOR EASTER EGGS!

Speaking of which, you guys just might be seeing (or hearing) a few in the next Skulldate!

Attachments

• egg1.png
    egg1.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,136
  • egg2.png
    egg2.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,088
Reactions: RPG and Crazyzooka
Will Locke J. Saga be an easter egg on Skulldate too ( I mean the fictional character, not the real LockjawsSaga)?
Well, it WOULD give me an excuse to use this sprite I just so happened to have lying around.

Locke.png
<3

Also, coming soon: a voice acting demo and an important announcement regarding the future of Skulldate

Well, it WOULD give me an excuse to use this sprite I just so happened to have lying around.

View attachment 8143<3

Also, coming soon: a voice acting demo and an important announcement regarding the future of Skulldate
Huh....I wonder what the announcement is.

Okay, time for that announcement (I wanted to wait until I could make the VA vid but I figure I might as well get this out now):

I don't know if this was clear or not before, but as far as contributing to Skulldate, I am only writing Squigly's story. When it's complete, I still may help with Skulldate in smaller capacities such as proofreading, but don't expect any more character routes from me, and I may also give a hand to other community projects such as Super Skullgirls RPG. I just wanted to make this clear now as to not disappoint anyone when that time comes.

Furthermore, from here on, the character routes of Skulldate will be split into separate projects, all still under the same Skulldate umbrella. This means that the project I'm currently working on will now be known as "Skulldate – Squigly's Route". This change will be good for both the current and future state of the project, as it will encourage individual creativity and remove certain expectations that the project as a whole would otherwise be expected to have (IE maybe someone doesn't want to include the fight system or voice acting in the route they write, or would want to include things like a money or job system).

I'm not saying any of this to say that Skulldate will be unsuccessful; far from it, actually! I believe that the project will see an increase in growth with this change, and will take on a greater scale than ever before! Write what you want, Your imagination is the limit! This also isn't to say that Skulldate will ALWAYS be segmented, either; when the day comes where all character routes have been completed, there's nothing stopping us from combining them all into one neat, fun and amazing package. The future looks bright, folks!

And with that, that concludes my announcement. Expect to see a release of Skulldate – Squigly's Route hopefully sometime within the week. I'd love to hear your feedback on this change. Positive or negative, please share your thoughts! Also, thank you @FunkyHellboy for inspiring this idea being 100% behind this idea there are you happy :p.

I wanted to include with this post a video of the wonderful VA I've received thus far, but I'm still missing a few parts, so instead I'll share some screencaps from a scene I'm working on. I warn you now: it is a LOOOOOOOONG scene(good luck with this one, Funky :p).

screen.png
For you @DDB
screen1.png
screen2.png

Last edited:
Okay, time for that announcement (I wanted to wait until I could make the VA vid but I figure I might as well get this out now):

I don't know if this was clear or not before, but as far as contributing to Skulldate, I am only writing Squigly's story. When it's complete, I still may help with Skulldate in smaller capacities such as proofreading, but don't expect any more character routes from me, and I may also give a hand to other community projects such as Super Skullgirls RPG. I just wanted to make this clear now as to not disappoint anyone when that time comes.

Furthermore, from here on, the character routes of Skulldate will be split into separate projects, all still under the same Skulldate umbrella. This means that the project I'm currently working on will now be known as "Skulldate – Squigly's Route". This change will be good for both the current and future state of the project, as it will encourage individual creativity and remove certain expectations that the project as a whole would otherwise be expected to have (IE maybe someone doesn't want to include the fight system or voice acting in the route they write, or would want to include things like a money or job system).

I'm not saying any of this to say that Skulldate will be unsuccessful; far from it, actually! I believe that the project will see an increase in growth with this change, and will take on a greater scale than ever before! Write what you want, Your imagine is the limit! This also isn't to say that Skulldate will ALWAYS be segmented, either; when the day comes where all character routes have been completed, there's nothing stopping us from combining them all into one neat, fun and amazing package. The future looks bright, folks!

And with that, that concludes my announcement. Expect to see a release of Skulldate – Squigly's Route hopefully sometime within the week. I'd love to hear your feedback on this change. Positive or negative, please share your thoughts! Also, thank you @FunkyHellboy for inspiring this idea.

I wanted to include with this post a video of the wonderful VA I've received thus far, but I'm still missing a few parts, so instead I'll share some screencaps from a scene I'm working on. I warn you now: it is a LOOOOOOOONG scene(good luck with this one, Funky :p).

It's a big announcement, alright. Kinda sad you won't contribute as much, but i'd still like to help with this project.

If only I had more time...I may still try to write, but my knowledge of programming is...well...if any of you have seen Invocation, you'd know I'm a scrub just making his first game, but I could give writing a path a shot story and event-wise...
*ahem*
serious question before I actually commit to anything, would it be possible for branching paths? It'd probably be early on, but say you're going down one of a few initial character's paths, and then certain choices can get you to unlock the path of another, maybe on that playthrough or another playthrough...Like helping Fortune you can unlock a Minette pathway.

If only I had more time...I may still try to write, but my knowledge of programming is...well...if any of you have seen Invocation, you'd know I'm a scrub just making his first game, but I could give writing a path a shot story and event-wise...
*ahem*
serious question before I actually commit to anything, would it be possible for branching paths? It'd probably be early on, but say you're going down one of a few initial character's paths, and then certain choices can get you to unlock the path of another, maybe on that playthrough or another playthrough...Like helping Fortune you can unlock a Minette pathway.
Well there's no longer a "unified Skulldate" now, so you're free to write it however you so choose!

If you're asking if it's possible from a technical aspect, yep, it definitely is. You'd be surprised how many neat tricks you can do with Ren'Py.

Sweet!

While I said I may try a script for one of the routes, it'd be mostly in my free time, and like the singular sprite I'm doing for SSGRPG, it'd take me quite awhile DX Basically, don't take my word as promises, being uber busy with life and my own projects has made it a pain to even remember to work on other things I said I'd work on. But either way, if I write, I'll link/upload/post it here, and either way again, you guys got my full support :D

Sweet!

While I said I may try a script for one of the routes, it'd be mostly in my free time, and like the singular sprite I'm doing for SSGRPG, it'd take me quite awhile DX Basically, don't take my word as promises, being uber busy with life and my own projects has made it a pain to even remember to work on other things I said I'd work on. But either way, if I write, I'll link/upload/post it here, and either way again, you guys got my full support :D
And you have my support. Remember, this is everyone's project!

If I knew what the engine or game making system skulldate is being programmed on I can help with the project.

I'm not saying any of this to say that Skulldate will be unsuccessful; far from it, actually! I believe that the project will see an increase in growth with this change, and will take on a greater scale than ever before! Write what you want, Your imagination is the limit! This also isn't to say that Skulldate will ALWAYS be segmented, either; when the day comes where all character routes have been completed, there's nothing stopping us from combining them all into one neat, fun and amazing package. The future looks bright, folks!

And with that, that concludes my announcement. Expect to see a release of Skulldate – Squigly's Route hopefully sometime within the week. I'd love to hear your feedback on this change. Positive or negative, please share your thoughts! Also, thank you @FunkyHellboy for inspiring this idea.

inspired huh....?
It's no prob bob!

Fuck, I know Skulldate is split up and shit, but the person who is doing the Big Band Version I swear to God you need to put this in.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bigtonney and ROTHY
Though... to be honest...

I kinda don't like Skulldate being split...

It kinda gives a weird vibe to this project and I personally feel like it wouldn't do well divided. Also, there's no real reason why this would happen. I know it's because of the different people writing different scripts, but the fans seemed to know that from the beginning. It's also not like each story is too long or takes up so much memory, it's kinda small for it's size. The fans also seem to know just what were gonna write. I never seen any fan ask if I was doing some other script. It just kinda seems wierd to do this...

You know what though... lets see if people like this.

If they absolutely hate it. We shall reunite Skulldate to it's former self

Though... to be honest...

I kinda don't like Skulldate being split...

It kinda gives a weird vibe to this project and I personally feel like it wouldn't do well divided. Also, there's no real reason why this would happen. I know it's because of the different people writing different scripts, but the fans seemed to know that from the beginning. It's also not like each story is too long or takes up so much memory, it's kinda small for it's size. The fans also seem to know just what were gonna write. I never seen any fan ask if I was doing some other script. It just kinda seems wierd to do this...

You know what though... lets see if people like this.

If they absolutely hate it. We shall reunite Skulldate to it's former self
On the divided issue it seems by dividing it, 3 people now have the ambition now to work on their on version Skulldate.
How is this a bad thing?
The fans of this project before @LockjawsSaga announcement of my idea people asked him all the time about when he was going to do another character besides Squgily. Though he really only signed up for her part. So in doing this, this now is a solution to a problem that fixes anyone's disappointment, (because people would ask, Hey Lock! Squigly's done whens Fukua?) and it frees you, @LockjawsSaga , and ANYONE from the fan's shackles of expectations, of more!
This way people have more freedom to do what they enjoy, instead of doing other's wishes.

Also it allows NO comparison between all versions of Skulldate as each one will have their creator's unique point of view.

I came up with another Living Weapon.

Sturm and Drang
, the two-ton fists
A pair of gauntlets, one with the power of lightning, the other with gravity.
Together, they can cause devastating damage by using Drang to lift a target off the ground and punching them with Sturn so the electicity doesn't dissipate.
For a nonlethal approach, Drang can also be used to keep someone on the ground to let the electricity from Sturn to safely leave their body.

You see, the thing about ideas like parasites is they really should've been proposed after the initial storylines were written up, or at least after they each had designated, dedicated writers. Considering Skulldate was supposed to be primarily a story-driven game, more attention should've been put on that over anything else in its early stages of development, with the auxiliary mechanics, such as parasites/money/apartment/etc, being put off until after that had been taken care of. I hate to say this, but this project as a whole has always lacked a sense of priority and focus, but thanks to this split, contributors can set what their own priorities will be. If someone wants to focus on bonus features or easter eggs before fully developing their story, that's entirely their prerogative. Like I said, everyone gets creative freedom!

As for me, I will not be including parasites/living weapons in Squigly's Route, as I've never been wholly sold on the idea. They just serve no purpose in it, and to attempt to tack them on would deteriorate the quality of its established story/gameplay. Also, parasites are sentient creatures who are hundreds of thousands of years old. Isn't it kinda weird to be able to just buy them, from out of your own closet of all places?

As for me, I will not be including parasites/living weapons in Squigly's Route, as I've never been wholly sold on the idea. They just serve no purpose in it, and to attempt to tack them on would deteriorate the quality of its established story/gameplay. Also, parasites are sentient creatures who are hundreds of thousands of years old. Isn't it kinda weird to be able to just buy them, from out of your own closet of all places?
Thank god someone else is still sane.

Although I like the idea of the parasites, it does seem strange to buy them.

Canonically, kids have been sold off as slaves, so is it really so strange to think someone is finding young parasites and pickling them to sell?

But yeah, change the shop's location.

WJust out of curiosity but if this project will also have music from other jazz related songs, because Skullgirls is a Noir themed game, besides the Skullgirls OST playing. Then may I ask can there be classical jazz songs in the background or during specific scenes. Sorry, if I this may come off ignorant or something I should already know. >///<

I just heard a few songs from the movie, Whiplash, and I would like if some songs were to be used, than the Skullgirls OST.

Recommend songs like this:

Canonically, kids have been sold off as slaves, so is it really so strange to think someone is finding young parasites and pickling them to sell?

But yeah, change the shop's location.

I don't see the similarities between selling kids and parasites. Besides parasites can only live with a host or they die without one. For some reason I picture the resident evil 4 merchant selling parasites in a jar.

Reactions: RPG
I don't see the similarities between selling kids and parasites. Besides parasites can only live with a host or they die without one. For some reason I picture the resident evil 4 merchant selling parasites in a jar.

WHAT ARE YA BUHYIN STRANGER
Sin nombre.png

not a jar tho

I mean they might have people looking for parasites that are relatively new to the world and stuff them in a jar filled with some kind of juice that keeps them alive while dormant longer.

I'm pretty sure any living parasites are either attached to a host, dormant in some way, attached to a host and hiding (like with Eliza), or in some form of captivity. Whether this be the govermemt or something shadier

Reactions: FunkyHellboy
Eh, comparing the parasites to slave children doesn't really help their case for me. It just seems like buying one would make me feel like a huge dick.

Anyway, after working tirelessly the last few days, I've finally completed the flashback scene that fully explains Squigly's backstory. I just looked over everything and GOOD LORD, it took me damn near an hour on Auto Fwd to go through it all.

SOLONG.png

Looks like I'm DEFINITELY gonna be surpassing my 3-hour playtime estimate now, considering the Medici Tower thing I made already takes me about 30-45 minutes to go through. For anyone who may want to stream it, this will definitely be a two-day job.

Anyway, with this done, all that's left for Squigly's Route is just the endgame stuff and a few more optional missions. I'll try to have something out during this week, and then the release shortly after that will be the complete version!

I'm not going to argue the ethics of selling a creature that can't live without a host any longer, but I will say this: keep the original parasites for the game relatively young. None of them should know about the history behind why their kind is feared or know anyone in the main cast, puts them in the same position as the protagonist.

Anyway, after working tirelessly the last few days, I've finally completed the flashback scene that fully explains Squigly's backstory. I just looked over everything and GOOD LORD, it took me damn near an hour on Auto Fwd to go through it all.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Also good job

Okay so worked on squiggs some more, and here is an updated version for the rotating slideshow for the front of the game next to the menu.

Attachments

• Squiggs.png
    Squiggs.png
    332.7 KB · Views: 449
Reactions: RPG
Now that I look at it, seems like her elbows are still a bit too bright. given that I have the light hitting her on the front. might go back and shade some those areas though.

Just wanted to come by with even more changes. We've cut some characters routes due to things like time and work and stuff. But we also put up a google doc in the first post so you can put down any ideals you have for the game

Just found out about this project and, TBH, I think it would be absolutely hilarious to play it someday.
Do you have any artist for Peacock, 'cause honestly, I'm not a huge anime artist. (I can draw them if I have to, I just don't prefer it as much ^u^;)

Just found out about this project and, TBH, I think it would be absolutely hilarious to play it someday.
Do you have any artist for Peacock, 'cause honestly, I'm not a huge anime artist. (I can draw them if I have to, I just don't prefer it as much ^u^;)

'Hilarious'? In what way? In the sense that it's meant to be a "joke game", or that IYO it's highly implausible it will ever be complete?

Sure there are some funny moments in it, but for the entire thing to be viewed as 'hilarious' is not something we (or at least I) were hoping for.

B-but the best part about fan-made dating sims are the hilariously bad [Read as Out of Character] writing and just being able to talk about all the hilarious things in it with friends.
Not saying anything bad about the thing itself, just saying that being considered bad, but hilariously so, isn't horrible or anything.

Last edited:
Right. Plus, I'd probably be more interested in doing Peacock's story cuz she the youngest and the most bloodthirsty, so that should be fun. But also Filia and Squigly cuz I could just see Samson and Levi having a big brother complex with their hosts. XD

I'm just here to hear the snake dragon and hair weasel fight :D Is my fake ignorance showing? I shined it specially for that comment :3

The Lev and Samson bickery does seem well written, and it all looks pretty good in character. Ya guy are doing quite an impressive job with it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.