• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

SkullGirls Beat'em Up

MrDak3000

Reaction score
Greetings fellow members, I'm here to talk about this ideal game. A two-player spin-Beat'em Up inspired by Double Dragon Neon.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414799378.865951.jpg

(Artwork done by kohn-nz on Deviantart)

I'm hoping to talking to Lab Zero about bringing this game to life, but I need to show them more concept art. If any of you guys are interested in the idea, lemme know and I'll give you my email. From there we can talk about joining my group and about the artwork.

Inspired by double dragon neon or Skullgirls?

other than that, you should mail them directly

A SkullGirls Beat'em Up inspired by double dragon

Neon is one of the worst beat em ups I've ever played, possibly THE worst - aside from the music which is amazing - so you wouldn't get very far pitching me this as it stands.
(^.^)
Hey at least I've played stuff that's not Neon...

Like the X-Men Beat-em up, Ninja Baseball Batman, The Simpsons Beat-em Up, and King of Monsters 2.

As long as it's like God Hand, I can die happy.
Someone else needs to pick up that fighting system. I'd give anything to have another fighting game with customizable movesets.

Reactions: RPG
A SkullGirls Beat'em Up inspired by double dragon
It's Skullgirls.

Also I doubt LabZero really cares for, or has the time and or money to put a random indie project to life with nothing to show but some concept art.
Is there more to this thread that I'm not seeing?

Reactions: ElementFree
As long as it's Streets of Rage 2 with Skullgirls characters, I can die happy.

...actually, screw that. I'm just gonna go play Streets of Rage 2 and Skullgirls at the same time and die happy right now.

Record yourself doing that because that is some pretty neat talent right there.

Eh, I've got no recording equipment, but I'll let you know how terrible an idea it was if I ever actually try it.

I would like a skullgirls beat-em up in the style of guacamelee

Did the OP just post the thread and leave?

I didn't know Mike Z played anything other than fighting games... then again beat 'em ups aren't that far off, in fact there is a general overlap of the genres.
Now if it turned out Mike was an avid RTS player, then that'd be a real shock.

It's Skullgirls.
What does that have to do with it

Inspired by Double Dragon Neon means that every audio file gets replaced by Mango Tango, right?
Because I definitely need that.

I didn't know Mike Z played anything other than fighting games... then again beat 'em ups aren't that far off, in fact there is a general overlap of the genres.
Now if it turned out Mike was an avid RTS player, then that'd be a real shock.
I was into WC3 for a long time, and DotA, and Half-Life multiplayer, and I play RPGs and racing games and Metroidvanias and Uniracers and Devil Dice and Tetris Attack and I like long walks on the beach...

I don't like long walks on the beach. Why is that even a thing?

IMO if you want to make a "belt scroller" 2d beat em up, you should be looking to games like Alien Vs Predator, King of Dragon's, Knights of The Round, Dungeons and Dragon's Mystara, and Sengoku 3 for inspiration. I'd be interested for sure then.

Double Dragon Neon felt way too slow and clunky, was slowed down by needless rpg elements that diluted the arcade format and encouraged grinding as filler, had weird hit detection, and way too many buttons.

Like the X-Men Beat-em up

I would like that game so much more if it weren't a cheap credit feed machine.

I was into WC3 for a long time, and DotA, and Half-Life multiplayer, and I play RPGs and racing games and Metroidvanias and Uniracers and Devil Dice and Tetris Attack and I like long walks on the beach...

I don't like long walks on the beach. Why is that even a thing?

While we are at it...

coke or pepsi?

P-Pepsi?! I don't think I want to play this game if someone who likes Pepsi made it.

it's a joke don't hurt me

This thread title was very misleading.

Also, weighing in on current discussion, I can't drink anything with Caramel Coloring (basically any dark soda). And I probably don't need to say what my favorite drink is.
tumblr_me15sp33rr1r8rqoi.jpg

Reactions: Medici Mob Boss
This thread title was very misleading.

Also, weighing in on current discussion, I can't drink anything with Caramel Coloring (basically any dark soda). And I probably don't need to say what my favorite drink is.
tumblr_me15sp33rr1r8rqoi.jpg
Im gonna get me some of that

RPG, thread derailer extraordinaire

Man, all the cool sodas are outside of my country...

Man Half Life 1.6 was freaking rad. Half Life 2 Deathmatch was even more rad.

Ok then thread, the all important question remains...
Do you call it Soda or Pop

I call it sodapop to preserve my sanity. Spend a few years on the East coast and you get tired of that argument happening when you go to a restaurant.

I call it

beverage, just to screw people up.

And I thought the Skullgirls Life Span thread was depressing...

And I thought the Skullgirls Life Span thread was depressing...

Oh hi there, welcome!

What do you like to drink?

On the subject of beat-em-ups, they are one of my favorite genres in video games. However, there is a beat-em-up I do not think highly of: Ren and Stimpy: Time Warp. Ren's attack is a slap that is limited in range unless he gets a power-up, "platforming" segments can be tasking since you likely fall to your death, and the spaces-shooting segments have some weird backgrounds. Also, the Croco Stimpy fight can be difficult due to weird hitboxes and his chomp attack is annoying. Overall, don't try unless you have plenty of tolerance in general.

For the Skullgirls Beat-em-up, I wonder if it's possible to have super bar similar to fighting games (Going on to Level 1, 2, 3...). If it was, I think it would be interesting.

For the Skullgirls Beat-em-up, I wonder if it's possible to have super bar similar to fighting games (Going on to Level 1, 2, 3...). If it was, I think it would be interesting.

Trying to think of a beat em up that uses super meter, not a ton come to mind actually. There's "super" or "bomb"-esque stuff, but it's usually used from sacrificing hp, or some sort of power up rather then a naturally replenished option.

I imagine it would be half platformer half beat em up. I really don't like beat em ups that force the pace which in my opnion, leads to clunky gameplay and if you force the pace like on a conveyer belt beat em up it takes freedom away from the player.

An example of freedom in a beat em up for me is Smash bros Brawl story's mode in which you work to the goal but at your own pace

I imagine it would be half platformer half beat em up. I really don't like beat em ups that force the pace which in my opnion, leads to clunky gameplay and if you force the pace like on a conveyer belt beat em up it takes freedom away from the player.

The pace isn't really forced any more then any side scroller, shmup, hack and slash, rts, etc. You have a combat challenge, and the next one doesn't open up till you clear the current one (which can't really be forced, since how long it takes depends on the player). Classic beat em ups don't do this any differently then Bayonetta.

You might like Dungeons and Dragon's Mystara though. You still need to kill things to open up the way frequently, but there are alternate paths and whatnot leading to some freedom.

Neon is one of the worst beat em ups I've ever played, possibly THE worst - aside from the music which is amazing - so you wouldn't get very far pitching me this as it stands.
(^.^)

I mean...it's not just neon. It can be like other Beat'em ups. I said double dragon cuz of the scenery.

I don't think dudes coming back, but a Love2D prototype sounds like something I should do.

2D with fake y-axis, open-section maps and jams.

Gimme the classic Streets Of Rage formula. Gotta have a unique mechanic. Perhaps teams...

Alrighty, words

Edit: oh, dudes right there

Last edited:
I'm still a little confused about this thread, is this a proposal for a Beat 'em up with Skullgirls characters or an original Beat 'Em up?

An original beat em up published by Lab Zero methinks