• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

SkullGirls Beat'em Up

L0 is not a publisher, BUT if you were to talk to them like "i have two million dollars, can we try to make a beat'em up"? things could work... maybe... i think... after SG is done

Honestly it wouldn't be too hard for someone to make a fan-brawler in Unity. You could easily put together some sort of Guilty Gear Isuka style belt scroller with the existing sprites.

Is Scott Pilgrim vs. The World considered a Beat-Em-Up? If so, that is probably one of the few Beat-Em Ups I have played and enjoyed to the fullest (with a group of friends of course.) Not many Beat-Em-Up games tend to stick with me unless I am playing with a group of friends and all we are doing is just joking around and having a good time (which in my opinion is probably one of the highlights of any beat-em-up game.) I can't see myself doing the same levels over and over using the same tactics over and over, which more or less is straight forward button mashing if anything.

If Scott Pilgrim vs. The World isn't considered a part of this topic, please disregard my post.

Is Scott Pilgrim vs. The World considered a Beat-Em-Up? If so, that is probably one of the few Beat-Em Ups I have played and enjoyed to the fullest (with a group of friends of course.) Not many Beat-Em-Up games tend to stick with me unless I am playing with a group of friends and all we are doing is just joking around and having a good time (which in my opinion is probably one of the highlights of any beat-em-up game.) I can't see myself doing the same levels over and over using the same tactics over and over, which more or less is straight forward button mashing if anything.

If Scott Pilgrim vs. The World isn't considered a part of this topic, please disregard my post.

Yes, SP is definitely a Beat-em-Up and it's a very good one at that. It's a bit broken and has some pretty game breaking exploits, but it's very fun nonetheless. Everything about the game is really enjoyable, especially if you're playing with friends.

Streets of Rage is my personal favorite. Mostly because I grew up playing that game on the Genesis, but in retrospect it's still a very good game all around.

You really want to do a good brawler then play the following:
Streets of Rage, Scott Pilgrim vs the World, Red Earth, Dungeons and Dragons, God Hand, Guilty Gear Judgement (the PSP brawler), and in some way Devil May Cry.
And figure out how to do it right.

Yes, SP is definitely a Beat-em-Up and it's a very good one at that. It's a bit broken and has some pretty game breaking exploits, but it's very fun nonetheless. Everything about the game is really enjoyable, especially if you're playing with friends.

Streets of Rage is my personal favorite. Mostly because I grew up playing that game on the Genesis, but in retrospect it's still a very good game all around.
I agree. Streets of Rage is another I fully enjoy that I recently remembered. Most Beat-Em-Up games I played are ones you expect everyone plays with a group of friends. I don't see the enjoyment of "Oh wow, I beat the entire game and got everything. Nice! so.. now what? *starts over does the whole process again*
Not that it is a bad thing, it just, in my opinion can get kind of dull after a while. Laughing and joking around with friends truly does make it a better experience.

I can't see myself doing the same levels over and over using the same tactics over and over, which more or less is straight forward button mashing if anything.

As I mentioned before, I'm a fan of the more technical later beat em ups (Armored Warriors, Alien Vs Predator, Denjin Makai 2, etc.), but even in the earlier beat em ups you will die if you try to use the same tactics over and over against different enemy types/formations/bosses

I don't see the enjoyment of "Oh wow, I beat the entire game and got everything. Nice! so.. now what? *starts over does the whole process again*
Not that it is a bad thing, it just, in my opinion can get kind of dull after a while.

Co Op makes a lot of things better, to be sure, but if you're playing these games the way the developer intended and balanced them to be played, it could easily take 50 hours of practice to actually complete some of these games. Your getting your money's worth either way.

Where's the google doc mechanic sketch.

I'm telling you, go learn you a lua and get you a love2D and lets GO

(This is only to encourage taht the idea doesnt magically die. trust. making games is FUN)

Where's the google doc mechanic sketch.

I'm telling you, go learn you a lua and get you a love2D and lets GO

(This is only to encourage taht the idea doesnt magically die. trust. making games is FUN)

Yup. Or you could use Unity/XNA/Game Maker/Construct/etc. It's really amazing how much easier it is to make games in this day and age. If you've even taken a beginner level class on programming (or not even that, if your willing to spend a few days reading some internet tutorials), you can pretty much jump in writing scripts for most of the pre-made game engines out there.

Of course if you want to go professional you probably want to (eventually) master C++ and make your own engine, but I don't think that's necessary at all if you're not looking to get into the AAA business or become a master. Hell, most of the indie games on Steam are made with some sort of pre-made engine rather than from scratch.