• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Skullgirls Original / Fan Character Thread

I just thought of yet another one (also unfinished), though this one doesn't have a name either and I kinda like my previous 2 characters better.
Name: Doesn't have one, though I'm open for suggestions on how to change it.
Birthday: Not specified, but thought to be around since the Jurassic Period
Species: Shineosaur (Shine + Dinosaur, another play on words)
Height: About as tall as an ordinary 12 year old human, I stink at height math
Weight: 107 lb
Skin Color: Orange

Kinda beginning small here though

May I ask ur other top tens?
I should have said "one of my favorite" instead, I don't actually have a top ten list.

Although I could make one, but I'm too lazy for that.

Hrmm, I see. The Dragon Kingdom comment was just something silly that came to mind since Feng's birds are air elementals and you mentioned Avatar so it came to mind, eheh. Like finding a stone mole. :p

Good to know the individuals feeling was intentional; it's unique, so it was just constructive commentary, not being critical. ^^; Just reminded me that they're usually romantic or siblings or such. I guess subverting that could be pretty Skullgirls too. :p

One thing that randomly came to mind; her fighting style is probably going to be thematically the same as Filia's, where it's really just (Filia/Gardenia) getting dragged around by (Samson/Green Man's plants) while they do all the real work. Like you said for me, not really sure it's a bad thing, but I thought the parallel was worth pointing out.

Ahh, thanks for the commentary! It isn't necessary to do 1-for-1 input, but it's certainly lovely to hear an opinion. ^^; I'm very fond of her and it's my silly dream to get an Alex Ahad sketch of her some day. :p

Yeah, she would have a similarity with Filia, that is for sure, just less controlled. Filia joins Samson in alot of their attacks so they attack together; Gardenia is pretty much trying to calm them down while they fight, so she's a bit like Filia as Dizzy is how I imagine her. I appreciate the comparison; I hope the trap emphasis distinguishes her a bit, since she fights a lot by springing planted traps like Rachel's lightning rods.

Working on the other two I meant to finish now. ^^;

Editing my Shockrave page btw, anyone is welcome to go back to page 6 and see them if they'd like 2, maybe give me some more feedback on it so I can remove the bugs infesting it.

Most notable change is the added section of interactions with other characters.

Last edited:
Now about Shockbrave's "Brother" (hope this thread isn't totally dead): Sparks (originally named Sparkthug, but I didn't like it)

Sparks' story is a rather unlucky one. Created from the same female scientist as his sister, she died before they could meet each other. Where Shockbrave was famous, raised by a good family, stars in various movies and drama, and got to live the highlife; Sparks was raised by dirty crooks, lived in the shadows, and lived a dull and boring life; (in)famous for having his face on wanted posters. Believing that they killed his "mother" before he was born, Sparks' was suspicious of the family he lived with and eventually left them to seek a way to give her life back, also seeking to gain wealth and come out of hiding. Despite numerous heckling from society, he eventually met the current Skullgirl, Bloody Marie, who he eagerly offered his services to upon seeing her cute looks. Now as her henchman/bodyguard, Sparks enjoys almost nothing more than to do her bidding and being at war with the Medici Mafia and the Anti-Skullgirl Labs. But upon meeting her, he also learned of the (girls only) wishes brought by the Skull Heart that she possesses, realizing that if he were to obtain it, he either sell it to some dumb sucker to make millions worth of money and come on the easy street for life, or kidnap and force a girl into bringing his "mother" back to life and reunite with his true family. But at the same time, he had grown attached to Marie and thought of her as a sister, not wanting to lose her as a friend and betray her. The bad lcuk has caught up with him once again: he must either decide whether to remain on Marie's good side, or take he heart from her and use it for his own purposes (kind of).

His mother, a scientist was lonesome and anted to create two children to love and keep her company. Created in countless nights from illegally obtained corpses, she created a body for him and his "sister" and awaited a stormy night to bring them to life by connecting them to a machine to power their artificial bodies with electricity. Unfortunately, she underestimated the strength of the storm and she died from the excess lightning that struck her home, striking her children-to-be at the same time. For some reason, only the girl came to life and curiously left the house, where the boy remained immobile and silent. It wasn't until a month and 1/2 later where a rat explored the room and began to gnaw on the cord connected to him (mistaking it for a gummy worm), which somehow caused electricity to spark and brought him to life. When life opened his eyes, he awoke to find not just the rat, but a group of people who broke into the house while he was lifeless. More importantly, the corpse of a woman lie flat on the ground before him, with a clipboard of a picture of him and a magenta-skinned girl in it (as well as blueprints on their creation), who he thought was his mother. Realizing that the monster could prove a valuable ally, the strangers dragged him by the arm back to their hideout and took him in as their adopted "son", and he didn't know what they were doing so he just let them do it. To be continued...

Height: 57 inches
Weight: 120 Lb
Skin Color: Aqua Blue
Eye Color: ? (Can't think of one)
Hair Color: Sea Green
Hair Style: ? (can't think of this either)

As a Frankensetin undead creature, he shares some of the same powers and abilities his sister ShockBrave owns: Powers of electricity and disability for true death. He is slightly shorter than his sis and has a smaller resemblance to humans, having a more robotic appearance with a few robotic body parts, particularly his hands. Despite his mother's intentions to make him look handsome (or "snazzy" in her own words), he's often feared upon by society for his ugly looks in similarity to the original Frankenstein; contrast to Shockbrave, who is usually considered cute. He also has a slightly older, more mature appearance than she does and is often mistaken for her older brother, when it is in fact the other way around.

• Money
  • Girls, especially Bloody Marie
  • Freedom
  • His "mother"
  • Eating Bread
  • Meddling with other people's lives
  • Techno Music
  • Keyboards and the Piano
  • Computers
  • Outer Space
Dislikes:
  • Poverty
  • Soap Operas
  • Opera Singers
  • Watching movies with his Sister in them
  • Being bossed around or told what to do
  • Wanted Posters
  • Laws
  • Kings, Queens, and Royalty
  • Cops
  • His adoptive "family"
  • People who Tattletale
  • Reading Books, or at least ones with no pictures in them
  • Anti-Skullgirl Labs

As he was badly influenced by a band of criminals, Sparks' personality could be compared to drunk alley thugs or common criminals. Where Shockbrave is light-hearted and friendly, Sparks' heart is dark and malicious, having a much smaller soft side than she does. He is also significantly more intelligent and less naïve than she is, and is well capable of thinking on his own feet (and prefers to do so). Living in poverty and hiding in the shadows makes him really angry whenever he looks at his sister's successful life and strives to get rich quick and escape his misery. While he holds no true hatred for his sister, he is jealous of her nonetheless and hates being compared to her, often asked "Why can't you be more like your sister!?". Everyone likes her better, treats her better, and she gets to live a bigger and better life.

His softest side comes from the worry of the scientist who created him and Shockbrave and died before he was born, constantly looking at her corpse every now and then, wondering how she died and if he can ever bring her back into his life; where his sister pretty much ignores her own dead mom and chooses not to worry about her too much, which causes a small amount of conflict between the two siblings. He suspects his adoptive family of being his mom's murderers since he first awoke to find them breaking into his home in front of his her corpse; which makes him distrust them and get an urge to eventually leave and abandon them. Sparks also has an attraction for women (except those who are police officers) and constantly flirts with almost every beautiful one he meets.. until they reject him in favor of other men thanks to his criminalist mind.

The closest thing he has to a friend is Bloody Marie, who employed him as her servant/bodyguard thanks to his similar powers to his sister and darker heart. Although Sparks dislikes being bossed around, he enjoys working for her because he thinks she is cute and of all people he meets, the is the only one who doesn't like his sister more than him, and almost never compares him to her. Even when she does, she brings the comparisons to his favor. Compared to Marie's other servants, she admits that he is by far her favorite one as he is the only one who willingly works for her without making him mindless (like her other undead minions) or capturing him. He does however, question why her main concern is the Medici Mafia, thinking that she should worry more about the Anti-Skullgirl Labs and everyone pursuing her for the heart instead, considering how they are all out to attack her. He also has a desire to take the heart for himself so he can sell it to some dumb sucker to make a fortune, but would have to fight and harm Marie to get it; which would make him lose his one and only "friend".

He is also the only one who is actually loyal to her, unlike Double (who planned to take her down thanks to the Trinity's wishes) and Valentine (who only joined by force thanks to the Last Hope's conflict). For this reason, Sparks will never face Marie in his story mode ever, replacing the boss fight with the Trinity themselves instead (who he saw as a threat to his friend and everyone in his world). He can still fight her in Arcade Mode, but even then, her pre-fight quote to him confirms that its merely just a practice fight and no personal conflict between them.

Sparks gameplay is unique in a way that he is the only character in the game who does not use Dramatic Tension Meter (although he can still build it). Instead he uses his own version of a super meter that gets one bar maximum for all of his Supers, and it doesn't take very long to build it either. Not only can he use it for his Supers, but he can also use meter for ES moves (Enhanced Special Moves) to power up his specials for more damage, faster startup/less recovery, and other benefits. This allows his damge output to be relatively high and very fast compared to everyone else who rely on dramatic Tension to win. He's great at building meter since he won't be using it, and may be desirable on point position of a team (not very good at anchoring). One of his great strengths however, acts as a double edged sword: The Super Meter will slowly drain overtime if you do not use it quickly enough or get the chance to, preventing you from saving the meter for later use.

Pros:
  • Great meter builder without needing to use any
  • Builds up meter quicker than everyone else since he has no super past level 1
  • High Damage output
  • Combos are relatively long and can go on until the opponent dies
  • High Stamina
  • An amazing Projectile
  • Very good Air Dash that makes him float immediately above the ground
  • Good overheads and Jumping Normals
Cons:
  • Cannot use Outtakes (unless he's not in a team) since he uses no Dramatic Tension
  • Relies heavily on teammate support to win
  • Slow Ground Speed and relies too much on jumps to approach
  • Super Meter depletes overtime if not used quickly enough.
  • Really hard to land Blockbuster Sequels with him

Last edited:
Now about Shockbrave's "Brother" (hope this thread isn't totally dead): Sparkthug. Sparkplug + Thug, another play on words name (does anyone have a better name that isn't a pun? I'm kinda iffy about it)
Unless you can come up with really good pun names like Ms. Fortune, Painwheel, or Parasoul I recommend you just use regular names because Shockbrave and Sparkthug are not that good. I'm just being honest here, sorry.

Someone ressurect this thread
It's not even close to being dead, it's only been inactive for about 4 days.

The Wulf Den has gone far longer without any activity.

Reactions: Kaname-madoki
Unless you can come up with really good pun names like Ms. Fortune, Painwheel, or Parasoul I recommend you just use regular names because Shockbrave and Sparkthug are not that good. I'm just being honest here, sorry.

I only agree that Ms. Fortune is good and Sparkthug is lame. Everything else you said, I cannot comply.

Corny as it may be, the name Shockbrave has grown on me a little and I intend to keep this name.

Painwheel is a clever name, but nothing spectacular. That's no better than my name*+points thumb at self*!

Parasoul a good pun name? In my opinion, No Way! At least not for the character herself that is.

Denizen said:
I recommend you just use regular names

Ex:

Dudley in Street Fighter series
Dudley Puppy in TU.F.F. Puppy
Dudley (dog), a type of labador retriever
Dudley Dursely in the Harry Potter books
Dudley More, a real life actor and comedian

And that's why I don't use regular names. Sooner or later you'll find another fictional or realistic character with a similar name. Just kinda bores me, but that's how I am.

But even though I (almost) completely disagree with your opinions, I have to thank you for expressing them anyway. Some critique is better than none at all.

The difference between Painwheel and Shockbrave is that one is recognizable as an actual pun while the other sounds more like combination of two words that sound cool. When I first heard Shockbrave I didn't think "Oh that's a pretty good pun on the word Shockwave", what I thought was "What is this guy trying to do with a name like that?" Basically if you're going to use a pun name then make sure it actually sounds like a pun.

There's no way to say this nicely so I'll just say it. As names Painwheel and Parasoul are much better than Shockbrave and the fact that you think otherwise confounds me.

Also when it comes to real names you really shouldn't be worrying about other characters having the same name. There are only so many names in the world and they're all taken, so you might as well stop worrying about it.
In fact I'm willing to bet that there is a bad Sonic OC out there who already has the name Shockbrave.

I'm not telling you to change that name, I'm just telling you what I think, which is that it's not good.

Sorry.

The difference between Painwheel and Shockbrave is that one is recognizable as an actual pun while the other sounds more like combination of two words that sound cool. When I first heard Shockbrave I didn't think "Oh that's a pretty good pun on the word Shockwave", what I thought was "What is this guy trying to do with a name like that?" Basically if you're going to use a pun name then make sure it actually sounds like a pun.

There's no way to say this nicely so I'll just say it. As names Painwheel and Parasoul are much better than Shockbrave and the fact that you think otherwise confounds me.

Also when it comes to real names you really shouldn't be worrying about other characters having the same name. There are only so many names in the world and they're all taken, so you might as well stop worrying about it.
In fact I'm willing to bet that there is a bad Sonic OC out there who already has the name Shockbrave.

I'm not telling you to change that name, I'm just telling you what I think, which is that it's not good.

Sorry.

Denizen said:
As names Painwheel and Parasoul are much better than Shockbrave and the fact that you think otherwise confounds me.
Well that's your opinion, not a fact. Not to be rude, but next you shouldn't make it sound like a statement, just saying. And again, I still disagree with you. I get what you meant by that they should sound like pun, but in my own opinion you forgot the other difference between these names:

From my story written about her, it shouldn't be hard to see why my OC got the name that she did if you read it: Has electric shocking powers and a brave personality. Painwheel, while I don't like the name too much, also has a reason for her name: She has a sawbuzz pinwheel weapon that will make you weep with pain and blood if she decides to use it on you.

Now Parasoul on the other hand.. I fully understand the para and the fact that she's named after an umbrella. What I don't get is the soul part.

• Can she talk to ghosts and dead people from beyond the grave? Never seen her do it or hear the canon mention it, so I'm gonna assume not.
  • Can she summon the undead like Bloody Marie can (but with ghosts instead of skeletons)? No.
  • Is she a ghost herself? Still no.
  • Does she eat and devour the souls of others? I heavily doubt that.
What I'm basically saying is: Even though she has the word in her name, what does this Jessica Rabbit look-alike have to do with souls? Correct me if I'm wrong, but apparently the answer to that is: Nothing. You might say otherwise and it may not bother you, but to me: it just seems really pointless to make someone's name a pun when that someone his/herself has almost nothing to do with the one of the words that formed the pun in the first place. If the name belonged to someone that pertains to both umbrellas and souls at the same time, it would be a good name. But the ugly truth is, its not.. at least in my opinion it isn't. I feel that Parasoul didn't even need a pun name to begin with (or at least not this one) because of it, and that she's the one who could've just gotten a normal name. Even if my OC's name isn't good, at least it's got a reason for the pun on both words; where Parasoul's character has only partial reference to her own name and I feel that the 2nd part of the compound word was added only because is its a homophone of "sol" and they had to make it a pun at all for some anonymous reason... nothing more.

Denizen said:
There are only so many names in the world and they're all taken, so you might as well stop worrying about it.
You're right, but that's why you gotta take that name before other people while you still can (which in my case, consider me lucky). A lot of people have real names and a lot of people use them in fan fiction, but not everyone is going to go after the same made-up name. Even if some people already made SB as a name, I'm sure that they are extremely scarce and not really noticeable, though admittedly you could say the same thing about my OC. In fact, I've only found one other person use this name (which was after I used mine), which has nothing to do with fictional characters and is merely just someone's name on a (Seemingly) unpopular online game with only 9 players online.

And even with a lame name, that doesn't change that the rest (okay, most of it) of my character is pretty good so far, right? Right? I don't mean to toot my own horn, but I'm rather pleased with how Shock's currently turning out and for a first-timer making an FC, I don't think I'm doing too bad. I liked her so much that I even forgot about the other 2 OCs (and others to come) I made, making them look a little worthless in her light. If Lab Zero Games were to ever make fan contest to submit their fanmade characters, I would without a doubt submit Shockbrave and would hope to get at least a small honorable mention from them, even if I knew I had a 0% chance of the slightest bit of success. The only reason I wouldn't is because I'm a terrible artist and couldn't draw a good picture of her. Even then, I would just try to get help from good artists and do it before its over.

I know something like that would probably never happen, but a guy can dream. Adventure Time had an episode with a fanmade character..

Another umbrella user? Not bad, but I think it would look kinda redundant if you put him next to Parasoul, and even more redundant if Umbrella (Parasoul's little sister) gets added to the roster as well. This is just me; but I think that if you made him use a staff, mace, shovel, or something else instead another umbrella; it would've been cooler.
Huh, I didn't really think about him next to the rest of the SG roster. I guess giving him an umbrella does seem a little boring. But to clarify, he doesn't use the actual umbrella for combat (outside of the specials), he uses the sword. Chameleon Tongue is more of a stealth weapon. The sheath takes the form of every-day items to hide the blade, so it can be carried around anywhere and no one would suspect it was a lethal weapon. The two stances show the main two ways John would use it. The umbrella shows the quick strikes that end fights before they begin, while the cane shows how he would fight if one strike isn't enough. Also, I feel that an open umbrella is a great distraction and is the best visual representation of a counter based play style that Chameleon Tongue could transform into.

Also,
Nothing deserves to be compared to a bad Sonic OC. No - thing. *shudder*

Name Stuff
Likewise everything that you say is an opinion as well, so this is going nowhere.
However you should always consider the possibility that the vast majority of people you speak with may disagree with you, and if that happens then there is definitely something wrong, despite the fact that they're only opinions. That's just a general tip which is only partially directed at you.
And even with a lame name, that doesn't change that the rest (okay, most of it) of my character is pretty good so far, right? Right?
Just listen to @CHAOS_FANTAZY's criticism, you don't want to hear what I have to say.

@SunnyRei
Really? :o Well, that's definitely an honor to hear, I'm really happy if you liked mine. :) That's the least I can do.

Karla seems pretty interesting (though I do agree that coming up with a good "stage name" for her would be useful). She definitely has a very well-developed backstory and the (synthetic?) parasite sounds cool. I think my main commentary would be that I'm sorta surprised she's not a Lab 8 experiment with those science/healing origins, but from the escape on, she integrates nicely. She sounds like she could have been a synthetic parasite beta test they wrote off as a failure lol. Aside from the tricky aspect of outside scientists having as good synthetic parasite research as the ASG Labs (which certainly isn't impossible and can be supported with good backstory), I like the write-up you did of her.

It's cool that she'd have an antagonistic relationship with the Lab characters too; I realized when I made Gardenia that it helps if your OC can have some links/interaction with the cast, though obviously nothing really deep or interconnected with canon. Like one of my headcanons now is that Gardenia has a hero worship crush on Hive, who she never actually gets close to because her plants freak out if they see a giant bee approaching them because they think it'll pollinate them. :P

Karla's I.N.K abilities sound really cool and could have a lot of neat callbacks to Venom or Bayonetta - sorta in between Filia and Double I guess? Or Filia but a lot crazier options. The 'split fighting' thing IMO might intrude a little too much on Eliza's gimmick with Sekhmet, but I think the rest of it is really strong as it is. I also really like her art pic! If you drew that yourself, you did very good. :)

My soul can now rest in peace...
Hearing you opinions on my character made my day, it's true she needs a stage name for her.. I'm still thinking for a fitting name, I will also update her backstory based on some things you mentioned also will update her look, right now her outfit is not final but I'm quite happy with were it's at heh..(yup I drew her).

Her sinthetic parasite allow her to basically make a clone of herself, one part (her 'shadow' and suit) separates and can go arround kinda like a puppet and has stroger attacks and quicker speed, and the other part is Karla who stays in place.. without most of her suit away from her, her scarf is her only way of blocking (making her very vulnerable to take damage)... What I'm getting at is that I didn't imagined her having a "transformation" phase like Eliza, more like she 'splits' into two entities connected by a string of ink.

Reactions: Denizen
@SunnyReiHearing you opinions on my character made my day
I haven't gotten my criticism from Sunny yet, but I can wait. She has a life of her own and she should take her time.

Reactions: Karlaaldana
Huh, I didn't really think about him next to the rest of the SG roster. I guess giving him an umbrella does seem a little boring. But to clarify, he doesn't use the actual umbrella for combat (outside of the specials), he uses the sword. Chameleon Tongue is more of a stealth weapon. The sheath takes the form of every-day items to hide the blade, so it can be carried around anywhere and no one would suspect it was a lethal weapon. The two stances show the main two ways John would use it. The umbrella shows the quick strikes that end fights before they begin, while the cane shows how he would fight if one strike isn't enough. Also, I feel that an open umbrella is a great distraction and is the best visual representation of a counter based play style that Chameleon Tongue could transform into.

Oh a stealth weapon, gotcha. But if its a stealth weapon, there are lots of things out there besides an umbrella:

Rakes

Pickaxes

Golf Clubs

Paintbrush (which could magically create mini baby chameleons to attack the opponent or something?)

Cooking Tools (Spatulas, Spoons, Rolling Pans, etc.)

Dino Grabber Toy

Stuffed Animals, which are secretly his orphaned Parasites in disguise? (Intended to be a special move only though; to use as a shield, projectile, or whatever)

What would be an interesting Blockbuster is to see one of his adopted Parasites turn into a miniature horse (or rather the horse be one of them) for Jon to ride on for a brief amount of time. or if he's an elf, why not a reindeer? :P

:HK: + :LP: (don't have a name though: Increases Speed (if he isn't fast already) and gains him Super Armor, changing his kick attacks and giving him 2 new specials and one other Blockbuster. Lasts for 10 seconds and then the horse runs away offscreen.

:360: :P: Joust Getting started: The horse gallops towards the opponent and john sticks out the chameleon tongue (in the form of a spear) towards the opponent and impales them on it if it hits. After hitting them, John slams him/her onto the ground with the spear and then the horse jumps right on top of them, as if he were a wrestler. Kinda like a blockable command grab, very unsafe on block but heavy damage if landed. If the :LP: version is used, the horse won't gallop at all and the grab becomes unblockable, though it shortens the range.

:B: Charge :F: :K: Bullrush: Chameleon Tongue changes to a double pointed spear (or some other weapon) and John holds it in front of the horses head while the horse charges forward and hits multiple times depending on version. The stronger the Kick Button, the more damage and hits are dealt (and also becomes less safe on block)

BlockBuster:

:360: :PP: (Level 2) Stamp-ede: Chameleon Tongue morphs into a Rope and John throws him to grab the opponent and then chuck her/him onto the horse. Then, it starts rampaging an trampling all over the screen like bulls at a rodeo, brutally injuring the opponent and John too. Finally, the horse does a kick that pushes the opponent to the wall (leaving a footprint of his Horseshoe on the opponent's back, hence the title STAMPede) and bouncing back right in front of john (who is looking dizzy) and completely prevents tech rolls. Deals so much more damage than most level 3 moves that not even Cerebella or Big Band could deal and can setup another free combo once the horse goes away. It's whiff animation also only happens on very rare occasions and the grab will not activate if the opponent is not in range, making it relatively safe to use to avoid you making accidents. The only downside to this move is that John receives fatigue from that rampage and as such takes a small amount of recoil damage, similar to moves like Double Edge or Flare Blitz in the Pokémon series.

But then again its your character and just do what you come up with. Although I think the fighting game genre really needs a character who fights horseback, and your OC would potentially sound like a decent candidate for this.

It's his character Funker, give Bucky a chance to do something himself.

You're intruding a bit, maybe even a lot.

It's his character Funker, give Bucky a chance to do something himself.

You're intruding a bit, maybe even a lot.
*facepalm*
But then again its your character and just do what you come up with. Although I think the fighting game genre really needs a character who fights horseback, and your OC would potentially sound like a decent candidate for this.

Did you not read this part or what? At the very end, I very clearly stated that I know its his character.

Did you not read this part or what? At the very end, I very clearly stated that I know its his character.
Well then I guess it's OK if I break into your home and start forcing some interior design tips down your throat as long as before I leave I say "It's your house though, do whatever you want with it."

We could keep arguing like this but we should first see what Bucky thinks.

Last edited:
Well then I guess it's OK If I break into your home and started forcing some interior design tips down your throat and just before I leave I say "It's your house though, do whatever you want with it."

We could keep arguing but we should first see what Bucky thinks.

Then that means it's also ok to be a hypocrite then, doesn't it?
You're intruding a bit, maybe even a lot
I can say the same about you too.
Saying "sorry" doesn't make it much better ya know.

Then that means it's also ok to be a hypocrite then, doesn't it?
A hypocrite!? Are you kidding me? I said sorry not because I was saying something wrong. I said sorry because I knew you would get all pissed off about the legitimate criticism I gave about your character, and I was right.

All I did was give you my criticism about your character's name. You went ahead and tried to write the entire move set for Bucky's OC. That's intruding.

Last edited:
Uh, wow. How to respond? I guess I should mention that since this is a public forum, criticism is totally welcome, and I appreciate that Funk took the time to think up some stuff.

On the other hand, some of the ideas he has implies that either I might not have been clear enough on my descriptions, or he just kinda skimmed through some of them. John doesn't adopt parasites, he aids parasite hosts. Also, I should have been clearer (again) on what Chameleon Tongue can transform into and why I picked what I picked for his regular transformations. I said that Chameleon Tongue transforms into things of roughly the same shape and size. This is because, no matter what form it is, it is still a sheath for the blade, and therefore, must still be able to hold a blade. So a rope is not a possible candidate. I picked a cane and umbrella because those are what he is most likely going to have with him. He is a famous business owner, not a gardener or construction worker. A pickaxe or rake would raise suspicion. Though a golf club could work, but only if he's going golfing. That's not to say that he can't have Chameleon Tongue transform into the suggested things for specific attacks. It's just that a cane and umbrella make the most sense for him to be carrying around on a daily basis. Hopefully that clears things up!

As for the whole making a move list thing, I don't really mind too much. I mean, having people speculate moves for a character you created is kinda nice, even if you aren't interested in using said ideas. I mean, that's what people do in the unreleased character threads. I guess some could see it as him saying that his ideas are better, but maybe he was just trying to give ideas on how to make my character unique from the rest of the SG cast. Constructive criticism and all that. I mean, this is the internet. People misunderstand each other all the time.

Anyway, let's stop all this arguing (or at least take it somewhere else) and go back to making silly and serious characters and then stating personal opinions on them in a civil manner! Yeah!
~(-u-)~

Anyway, let's stop all this arguing (or at least take it somewhere else) and go back to making silly and serious characters and then stating personal opinions on them in a civil manner! Yeah!
~(-u-)~
Don't worry, I don't intend to entertain this farce any longer, neither here nor anywhere else.

Uh, wow. How to respond? I guess I should mention that since this is a public forum, criticism is totally welcome, and I appreciate that Funk took the time to think up some stuff.

On the other hand, some of the ideas he has implies that either I might not have been clear enough on my descriptions, or he just kinda skimmed through some of them. John doesn't adopt parasites, he aids parasite hosts. Also, I should have been clearer (again) on what Chameleon Tongue can transform into and why I picked what I picked for his regular transformations. I said that Chameleon Tongue transforms into things of roughly the same shape and size. This is because, no matter what form it is, it is still a sheath for the blade, and therefore, must still be able to hold a blade. So a rope is not a possible candidate. I picked a cane and umbrella because those are what he is most likely going to have with him. He is a famous business owner, not a gardener or construction worker. A pickaxe or rake would raise suspicion. Though a golf club could work, but only if he's going golfing. That's not to say that he can't have Chameleon Tongue transform into the suggested things for specific attacks. It's just that a cane and umbrella make the most sense for him to be carrying around on a daily basis. Hopefully that clears things up!

Oh sorry, guess I misunderstood your story a bit. My bad, you kinda made it sound like he temporarily adopted (what I meant to say was "orphaned") those parasites until they find a good home. But unless he pretends to be a feeble old man who can barely walk (does he?), I really don't see how a cane would raise less suspicion than those things I mentioned.

1. Walking Sticks can and have posed as lethal weapons in real life and other, both in assaults and self defense. While he doesn't his own cane as a walking stick, Sly Cooper is a shining example of such FCs who use canes as weapons. Speaking of Sly, did you take a small amount of inspiration from him when making John?

2. They are also sometimes used for corporal punishment to spank Naughty Kids!

3. While not necessarily blatant, some canes can conceal knives or swords inside them, which are called swordsticks or cane-swords.

Even though I'm not really making any suggestions right now, I just don't see how a cane couldn't raise any suspicion compared to the stuff I mentioned (especially not a Stuffed Animal) because of these reasons.. unless he (again) is posing as a weak and/or ill old man.

And yeah, all I was trying to do is provide suggestions to make it seem more unique to the SG cast, never thought my idea was better. As much as I like my own fan character I named ShockBrave, I have to admit that there is no way I could've thought of a chameleon-like creature as a living weapon.

Oh sorry, guess I misunderstood your story a bit. My bad, you kinda made it sound like he temporarily adopted (what I meant to say was "orphaned") those parasites until they find a good home. But unless he pretends to be a feeble old man who can barely walk (does he?), I really don't see how a cane would raise less suspicion than those things I mentioned.

1. Walking Sticks can and have posed as lethal weapons in real life and other, both in assaults and self defense. While he doesn't his own cane as a walking stick, Sly Cooper is a shining example of such FCs who use canes as weapons. Speaking of Sly, did you take a small amount of inspiration from him when making John?

2. They are also sometimes used for corporal punishment to spank Naughty Kids!

3. While not necessarily blatant, some canes can conceal knives or swords inside them, which are called swordsticks or cane-swords.

Even though I'm not really making any suggestions right now, I just don't see how a cane couldn't raise any suspicion compared to the stuff I mentioned (especially not a Stuffed Animal) because of these reasons.. unless he (again) is posing as a weak and/or ill old man.
Canes can also be used to look stylish. And yes, a cane can be used for fighting and there are fighting styles that focus around the cane. Yes, there are cane-swords (Killer #2 is my favorite example). But that doesn't mean that every time some one sees somebody holding a cane they think, "That guy knows how to use that in combat!" The point of a cane, from a combat point of view, is that it is something that can be brought anywhere. It is something that has uses outside of fighting. It just so happens that it can be used for combat as well. The point is that John is supposed to look young and stylish (most of the time), so holding something that can be used stylishly ties into his character. At least, that's the way I see it.

And yeah, all I was trying to do is provide suggestions to make it seem more unique to the SG cast, never thought my idea was better. As much as I like my own fan character I named ShockBrave, I have to admit that there is no way I could've thought of a chameleon-like creature as a living weapon.
Thank you very much!

Dang, now that I think about it, John totally looks like Killer #2 most of the time, just with sunglasses. And with a less serious personality. And less murderous. And his hat would be a similar color to his suit, instead of always red.
5080_5.jpg

The movie is Bunraku if anyone's curious. It's decent, but it's definitely a case of style over substance.

Canes can also be used to look stylish. And yes, a cane can be used for fighting and there are fighting styles that focus around the cane. Yes, there are cane-swords (Killer #2 is my favorite example). But that doesn't mean that every time some one sees somebody holding a cane they think, "That guy knows how to use that in combat!" The point of a cane, from a combat point of view, is that it is something that can be brought anywhere. It is something that has uses outside of fighting. It just so happens that it can be used for combat as well. The point is that John is supposed to look young and stylish (most of the time), so holding something that can be used stylishly ties into his character. At least, that's the way I see it.

Thank you very much!

Dang, now that I think about it, John totally looks like Killer #2 most of the time, just with sunglasses. And with a less serious personality. And less murderous. And his hat would be a similar color to his suit, instead of always red.
5080_5.jpg

The movie is Bunraku if anyone's curious. It's decent, but it's definitely a case of style over substance.

Can't argue with that I guess, seems great! But didn't you say John looks like an elf? Wouldn't that be different from Killer #2?

And if its not too much to ask, would you have the time to look at my OCs too and say what could be fixed for improvement? One is on Page 7, the other 2 are on pg 6.

You know, I would kinda like to see a fan game starring various OCs.
Technically Skullgirls is a game starring various OCs, they're all Alex Ahad's OCs.

Actually this could be said about every game ever made.

Reactions: Bucky Barkley
And if its not too much to ask, would you have the time to look at my OCs too and say what could be fixed for improvement? One is on Page 7, the other 2 are on pg 6.
Whew. That was quite a bit of reading! I have a bunch of little story-based, nit-picky criticisms, but for now, I'm going to ask just a few of the bigger character related questions.

For [Insert name], what exactly is his ally? Does it look pretty much like a backpack, or is it a bit more monstrous in appearance? It's appearance is kinda vague. If it can come off completely, does that mean it's a remote parasite? How does he use it in combat? Does [insert name] have any combat skills of his own? 100 pounds is a lot to suddenly be lugging around, does the parasite give him the strength to carry it around, or is [insert name] just that strong.

For Shockbrave and Sparkthug, what exactly do the electricity powers entail? For example, is it based on static electricity, electricity absorption, the ability to shoot arcs of electricity, etc.? Does water short them out? Are they're powers identical or are there some differences? Also, how did Sparkthug not decay after sitting lifelessly for over a month?

Overall, though, I do like the twist to the Frankenstein story. It's kinda interesting to see these "monsters" be taken in by families and even become successful instead of having angry mobs coming after them. Though, I do have some small gripes with how accepting people are with their circumstances. I mean, we've seen how Valentine reacted to Ms. Fortune. I could only imagine the siblings sparking the same curiosity within the scientific and medical communities. Heck, I could even imagine the military wanting to find out what make them tick. An army of basically invincible undead would be rather valuable.

Edit: Ack! I totally forgot to ask! Do Shockbrave and Sparkthug age?

Last edited:
I think everybody ages,wanting or not.Every second you're living you age.The Time you're alive is the time you age.

I meant physically. Will they look the same forever, or will their bodies grow and change over time? After all, they don't need to eat. That could imply a lack of a metabolic process. No metabolism, no growth.

That was deep though Madoki, I liked it.

I have a literal theme to what the Chess Kingdom's leader looks like plus some ideas, but I dare not reveal anything. With that being said, what's the majority take on incorporating chess into a fighting style? Using the actual pieces for fighting, or turning the pieces into types of soldiers and weapons (or something more creative than just military things)? I have the first style worked out as a zoner who relies on his tools (pieces), but the second one is definitely more Skullgirls-esque.

I'm all for working anything into a fighting style. Lay it on us, Phish!

Phish I have an idea. Alex Ahad said that the Chess Kingdom's society relies heavily on magic in contrast to the Canopy Kingdom's reliance on technology. I always imagined that the Ruler of the Chess Kingdom would be highly skilled with magic, a king of sorcerers you might say. If your character uses chess pieces to fight then maybe consider him being a zoner/trap user who creates chess pieces out of magic.

For exmple, I'm imagining a move where he creates a large Rook out of energy that stays on screen and periodically shoots a beam of energy when an opponent comes within range, sort of like a tower defense turret. I want to hear what your take on the Chess Kingdom Ruler is, don't be afraid to tell us.

You know, I would kinda like to see a fan game starring various OCs.
While I would be absolutely honored to have my characters in a game (I'd even put my nose to the grindstone, write out complete movesets, get a mic and try to voice-act Eus), I consider it highly unlikely that that would happen. I mean, recreating Skullgirls's mechanics would (Probably—don't quote me on this) be easy enough, but just think about all the artwork. What was it, again? The character with the fewest frames has ~1,400? That's a lot of work. And our fandom, ardent as it is, has barely even begun to start working on fan animations for the canon characters (I'm lookin' at you, jam1220 and Skullmageddon, you magnificent, wonderful people). Imagine the time and effort it would take to get fan characters made to that level. I can't see it realistically happening.

Granted, in this hypothetical situation, we could not use the Skullgirls art style, but still.

Last edited:
Whew. That was quite a bit of reading! I have a bunch of little story-based, nit-picky criticisms, but for now, I'm going to ask just a few of the bigger character related questions.

For [Insert name], what exactly is his ally? Does it look pretty much like a backpack, or is it a bit more monstrous in appearance? It's appearance is kinda vague. If it can come off completely, does that mean it's a remote parasite? How does he use it in combat? Does [insert name] have any combat skills of his own? 100 pounds is a lot to suddenly be lugging around, does the parasite give him the strength to carry it around, or is [insert name] just that strong.

I haven't fully decided what the Ally should look like, so that's a tough one. But for now I'll say: the Ally looks more like a monster than a backpack; but he does function like one by clinging onto [insert name]'s back (carrying [insert name]'s objects in his mouth when he goes to school, etc.); but the appearance really depends on whether he's in his good form or the bad one. If the ally is in his negative side, he bears a similar monstrous resemblance to Samson considering how he's an offspring of the original, even calling him "Pops". When he's in his goody two-shoes form however, he hardly looks anything like Samson and doesn't look like he could hurt even a fly (or at least WOULD hurt one), losing his teeth and getting a smiley face I guess? Idk what exactly they should look like. But I meant to say that [insert name] was the one who weighs around 100 lb, not his parasite. Compared to most teens his age, he's supposed to be smaller than average in both weight and height. But yes, his ally is a remote parasite since he can just freely come off his host at anytime and technically doesn't replace any body part unlike his original and Leviathan. Alex Ahad said that if a parasite is removed from its host, they'd both die from the process. But since the ally isn't really a part of his host, nothing happens to either one of them when they separate; where Filia is pretty much stuck with Samson for the rest of her natural life :)

But when fighting, [insert name] and his ally both do an equal amount of the fighting and in most of their attacks, they combine together instead of just walking his parasite from place to place like Filia and Squigly do. They usually do it by morphing together into other animals and objects like a Giraffe, Armadillo, Snake, Elephant, or their personal favorites: an Alligator (when in bad form) and a Frog (when in good form). For example, one of their blockbusters is a command throw where they together form a giant snake and swallow the opponent whole, riding their combined body onto a roller coaster track to damage their swallowed enemy inside both their bodies (kinda gross though) who is getting rocked around from all the motion without any seatbelts. Without [insert name], the parasite would be too small and skinny to even put the opponent in his mouth, nor would he have the finesse to control the way he's going and would fall off the tracks. Roller Coaster Snake FTW

The main problem with this duo is that I think I made it a little too similar to Filia. For that reason, I made them interact only once and the two never see each others' faces again (despite saying they would), although I did make an untold alternate story where the two have a much bigger interaction between each other:

His ally remains in his bad, negative form almost all the time and rarely shows his goody two shoes dies, becoming even more brutal and darker than Samson. This occurs to the point of him persuading his host to become a full-on criminal and encourages him to commit lots of crimes, causing lots of mischief in the kingdom. Basically changing who he was: A good (but lonely) citizen transforming into a troublemaker. He also no longer has an interest in cop shows and is now pursued by the police (who formerly liked him as a good citizen). Filia, who helped him gain his new friend when they first met, regrets her actions (or rather Samson's actions, since it was he who propagated the ally from annoyance) for turning a good kid into a devious crook. So she is in pursuit of them as well, with the ambition to remove that "fiend" (as she put it) from [insert name]'s body and separate the two for good, and hopefully clear his good name so that the police would stop chasing him down and take the beast who transformed him instead. If he gets angry at her for doing it, she plans to try and convince him (and fail horribly) that he never needed [insert ally name], all he really needed was a nicer, normal friend. When they met, he could've just asked her to be his friend instead of having Samson reproduce one for him, had she known the events that would follow.

I dunno if I should tell the whole story though, this thread is kinda shallow when it comes to activity and I don't wanna feel like I typed it for nothing. Need a bigger audience before I tell the rest.

For Shockbrave and Sparkthug, what exactly do the electricity powers entail? For example, is it based on static electricity, electricity absorption, the ability to shoot arcs of electricity, etc.? Does water short them out? Are they're powers identical or are there some differences? Also, how did Sparkthug not decay after sitting lifelessly for over a month?

Overall, though, I do like the twist to the Frankenstein story. It's kinda interesting to see these "monsters" be taken in by families and even become successful instead of having angry mobs coming after them. Though, I do have some small gripes with how accepting people are with their circumstances. I mean, we've seen how Valentine reacted to Ms. Fortune. I could only imagine the siblings sparking the same curiosity within the scientific and medical communities. Heck, I could even imagine the military wanting to find out what make them tick. An army of basically invincible undead would be rather valuable.

Edit: Ack! I totally forgot to ask! Do Shockbrave and Sparkthug age?

Made a 2nd comment since I found the first one to have gotten too long.

To be honest, all of those: Static electricity, Electric Projectiles and Absorbing some. I guess it never occurred to me what water would do to them if they touched it, but for now I'll say: Water doesn't really short them out, but it can hurt them and its very painful, also electrocuting the water around them. There are differences between their use of that power though:

Shockbrave mainly uses hers to:
  • Stun the opponent and paralyze them as an electroshock weapon, like a taser.
  • Create an electric field around the battlefield that harms neither her nor the opponent she is currently fighting. Instead, it prevents them from using Ensembles/Assists or tagging in/out. If they do either of those, the character who comes in immediately gets shocked and loses 25% of their health. Based on entry hazard moves from the Pokémon series: Stealth Rock, Spikes, and Toxic Spikes.
  • Use it to dazzle and create light around herself. Making the opponent temporarily blind and dizzy.
  • Form an electric column around her as an anti-air move. Like Sasquatch's Big Towers in the Darkstalkers series or Blanka's Ultra Combo, Shout of Earth, in Street Fighter 4.
  • Act as a lightning rod to attract electricity and heal herself with it.
  • Emit status electricity to anyone who touches her, decreasing their attack speed and frame advantage.
She also fights using movie effects and references to famous real life movies, such as transforming into a Giant Monster similar to Godzilla and breathing fire. Basically can bring movies to life, which she uses in combat. No one, not even she, herself knows how she can do this.

Sparks (renamed since I hated the name Sparkthug) uses his powers to:
  • Fire it as a projectile like an energy beam
  • Use it to help him float above the Ground like a UFO. He doesn't have a normal jump because of it.
  • Electrocute his own normals to let him increase damage, cause juggles, and destroy projectiles; at the cost of being unable to cancel them into special moves if he does it.
  • Control thunderclouds and use them as a shield to protect him.
  • Power up the artificial weapons inside him (he once tricked the Anti-Skullgirl labs into upgrading him like they did to Big Band) like Lasers, Missiles, etc.
  • If he dies, he discharges every bit of electricity inside him to leave an aftermath of damage to the one who defeats him.

Since he was built with robot parts as well, he fights using more robotic weapons.

Gameplay wise: Sparks was inspired by these 2 characters:

ShockBrave doesn't really have very many Gameplay inspirations aside from Pokémon. But I did take a small amount of some here:

No they don't physically age because they are already dead. There is a loophole around it though: If either of them wanted to look older, they could simply cut off their body parts and switch them with other ones they keep in refrigerators (so they don't rot too quickly) and stitch them on. They kinda have a healing factor like mutants in the X-Men Comics, so the stitches aren't really noticeable so they keep their good-looks without anyone grabbing their torches and pitchforks.. at least for Shockbrave anyway.

3rd: The army thing kinda sounds like The Incredible Hulk: Bruce is pursued by the military not only for being a monster, but also so they can make their own Hulks as super soldiers. That's actually a really good idea :) An interaction between Sparks and Parasoul (attempting to draft him into the Black Egrets army as punishment for his crimes) would be interesting, given Sparks' said dislike for royalty and attraction for women, plus their mutual dislike for the Medici Mafia (although Sparks' only hates them because Marie does, and is more concerned about Anti-Skullgirl Labs and the Trinity & Double instead). But my other 2 OCs already interact with her. It feels kinda lame to do it 3 times in a rows, and I would prefer them to have interactions mixed up with other people this time.

I did plan to have Valentine interact with one of them though once I finish my story that's work in progress to find out how they work, though she only needs to meet one of them instead of both. She chooses Shockbrave because of her naïve personality, lower IQ, and gullibility; which makes her far easier to trick and deceive than her brother. She is also much less aggressive and friendlier than him, which would mean that she's less likely to fight back and try to resist even if she wasn't gullible (only to be proven wrong).

After meeting with Marie, Sparks is sent to spy on Anti-Skullgirl Labs and pretends to be an ally, with the intent of getting them to upgrade his body and then destroy their base afterwards. He gets into conflict with Peacock (though he calls her by her real name, Patricia), but handicaps when fighting her since she is a friend of Marie's and was advised not to destroy her. He gets into bigger conflict with Big Band, another agent of the labs, although this rivalry is somewhat unexplored since Big Band's story mode isn't really out yet (besides being rebuilt with musical weaponry and being one of its agents) and it could change later.

Last edited: