• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Skullgirls PC Beta Updates Discussion

Happy Thanksgiving! The Patch Notes BGM Quartet has the day off.

General
- Bugfix: Increase launch height of Big Band's snapback because, well:
1.jpg

YouTube™ Video: Big Band has the best snap-out in Skullgirls
Views: 371
We're gonna be here for a while. Found this bug in a random ranked match VS. ImmaDoktah.

Thanks 5quilliam.
- Bugfix: Airdashes can now be cancelled into negative-edge and motion+P+K specials/supers, in addition to regular motion+buttonpress moves. Oops. Thanks sev!
- Bugfix: As per the Beta Experiment, after pushblock you still return to neutral even if there is blockstun remaining, but you can't call an assist until your blockstun WOULD have ended normally. You can still pushblock-guard-cancel into attacks, tag, etc, just not assist. Turns out - through a series of lucky choices, like everything else in that game - that this is how MvC2 works, too!
- Bugfix: Ms. Fortune can recall her head between Downs. This involved changing how locking moves during Downs works, so if you notice any bugs with other moves PLEASE report them!
- Bugfix: The first 2f of Cerebella's Kanchou slide startup are now super-cancellable, to help with run->super if you aren't perfect with your 2 punches. Thanks wikkit.

Beowulf
- Temp character select art. No more white squares!
- Finished in-game palettized portrait. No more white squares there either!
- Updated NMO Arena, and added Empty Arena with similarly temp music. WILLY YOU ARE THE BEST!
- Bugfix: Characters would occasionally auto-tech his air and ground throws, now they won't. Thanks BrandX and Inferno!
- Bugfix: Addressed collision issues with F/B+P and j.D+P in the corner when assists are out. Thanks Bang Camaro!
- Bugfix: Grab mode time would occasionally be shorter after ground or air throws, now is always the correct length.
- Bugfix: Can pick up the chair between Downs.
- Added Headbutt in grab mode (neutral + P). Now we're getting there! Counterhit grab gives 2-hit version. (This will probably not stay on CH, the 2 hit version is destined for greater things.)
- Adjusted grab mode time after various starters.
- Chairless s.HP hitbox extended downward, can grab crouching Valentine. Thanks Bang Camaro.

Beta Experiments
Fukua
- The fireball wraith returns quicker, and the tracking is much better.
- Fukua herself makes fewer fireflies when a fireball is out.
- Fireball returned to normal damage and chip damage.
- The wraith grants Tension (meter) upon returning to Fukua. The farther the return the more she gets, up to 2x the Real Game meter for travelling the full screen. If the fireball hit (including vs assists or projectiles) you get the most, if it was blocked you get less, and on whiff you get none.

I'll play this out for the day and give my inputs ASAP.

Edit: have a nice thanksgiving everyone!

@Mike_Z lp chair toss red bounce or at least green bounce please?

would be nice, but i think its already easy to pick up and catch. i can see this benefiting if you're standing far away to hop in and catch the otg.

I know solo Squigly is rarer than good Mexican food in the Northeast, but would it be unreasonable to experiment letting her charge between Downs?

I know solo Squigly is rarer than good Mexican food in the Northeast, but would it be unreasonable to experiment letting her charge between Downs?
I think Squigly is one of the better 1v1 characters so I don't see how this would be warranted
Downs don't exist in 1v3

Last edited:
Yeah I think Squig is fine 1v1. She's got some bad MUs to be sure, but she's not awful.

She's got a learning curve which might explain some of her rarity as a solo, but the good Squig's (of which I do not count myself as one) are fucking horrifying.

Reset hell to say the least.

Reposting from the Betawulf thread...

I found a bug today with Beowulf's headbutt.

http://imgur.com/a/7Q81m

From chairless j.HP, you can glitch the grab by hitting down + P on the ground and do an infinite amount of headbutts. Grab tech doesn't work and the only way to get out is if Beowulf moves anywhere but forwards. Sorry I can't get a video.

Would it be too OP if Fukua's fireball had a hitbox on the returning wraith thing? For example, if a player were to jump and intentionally whiff the fireball over the opponent's head so the wraith would hit as it came back to her. She still wouldn't be able to use another fireball until it came back, but I feel like it'd have a bit more utility than just giving her extra meter as it does now.

Also, what if the meter she gains from the return was actually stolen from the opponent ala Morrigan in UMvC3?

Last edited:
Would it be too OP if Fukua's fireball had a hitbox on the returning firefly thing? For example, if a player were to jump and intentionally whiff the fireball over the opponent's head so the firefly would hit as it came back to her. She still wouldn't be able to use another fireball until it came back, but I feel like it'd have a bit more utility than just giving her extra meter as it does now.

Also, what if the meter she gains from the return was actually stolen from the opponent ala Morrigan in UMvC3?
regardless of whether it would be op, if this type of thing were to be implemented, wouldnt it go against the point of the wraith being there in the first place? that being rewarding players for well placed fireballs (aka hitting something) and being punished for whiffing by having more recovery before being able to throw another one and less meter.

regardless of whether it would be op, if this type of thing were to be implemented, wouldnt it go against the point of the wraith being there in the first place? that being rewarding players for well placed fireballs (aka hitting something) and being punished for whiffing by having more recovery before being able to throw another one and less meter.
I was thinking about that as well. At the moment, I don't think the meter gain she has now is a good enough reward for what she's been losing through their changes. It could just be my playstyle, but I can't imagine myself in a position where I'd benefit from intentionally placing myself at ranges that would give me maximum meter gain from the fireballs. It doesn't feel like a reward as much as it feels like compensation for finding myself in an extremely disadvantageous position. It's kind of like if Peacock received more meter for hitting projectiles at close range, or if she received more meter from throwing.

If the wraith got a hitbox of some sort, it would add more utility and kind of make the fireballs feel the way they did in the beginning. I.e. a utility that can help with positions and control, but potentially wouldn't be as oppressive as it was then.

If the fireball got meter steal, it would also be a neat utility that could also help control the opponent, albeit from a different perspective.

Last edited:
if I may put my 2 cents into an idea?

what if Air Drill gave sliding knockdown?
you cant use it off of drill which prevents the "invulnerable move into hard knockdown for free mix up" issue
it is blockable post flash
not invincible until the 5th frame
one of her least damaging supers
and you can still combo near the corner if you have OTG left

what do you guys think?

if I may put my 2 cents into an idea?

you cant use it off of drill which prevents the "invulnerable move into hard knockdown for free mix up" issue
it is blockable post flash
not invincible until the 5th frame
and you can still combo near the corner if you have OTG left

what do you guys think?
I'm not sure how much of a difference it would make, but who knows. I'm pretty much open to any change in this move. As it is, I almost never use it because I just don't see any reason to. At least if it had a sliding knockdown, you could use it in some kind of funny setups.

Oh hey I just took sliding away from her super fireball, for a very good reason. No.

Her most damaging Lv1 super if you do it from a decent height. Tied with, or slightly ahead of, ground drill super. And you can combo after it in the corner.

As it is, I almost never use it because I just don't see any reason to.
Then you're missing out on damage, and the ability to combo after it.

As for the wraith hitting, NO. The point is that she has to NOT have an active hitbox out for a while. "A while" being like 45 frames at fullscreen, around the same cooldown as Val's fireball. Look at it as a compensated nerf instead of a buff.
I tried it stealing meter, it was honestly kinda dumb.
(It gives you HELLA meter now, you know. You get a bar with like TWELVE on hit and twenty on block, as opposed to something like 19 on hit and 30 on block previously!)

It's Thanksgiving, I don't have time for this.

Thanks for clearing that up. Since we're probably not getting the old fireballs back, guess I'll have to make the most of it. I can't seem to get any good result from Air Drill though. When I try to build combos around it, I always lose damage. (Probably because I'm bad.)

It's Thanksgiving, I don't have time for this.

Hope we didn't ruin it with our scrubbery D:

@Mike_Z Sorry in advance

In short. I like the direction of this change and this kinda feels close to what the next retail might or might not be i want to share my input.

So, the fireball cooldown is ok. most people would automatically call it a nerf and while it sorta is. i call it a simple adjustment. the most of my experiences didn't change much in this change. the fireball wraith returns as well as it should have so thanks for that.

A selfish request: for once can we try out the following: Fukua's fireballs still have the recovery mechanic, but can use 1 ground fireball and 1 air fireball and then must recharge with the recovery mechanic.

The reason for this selfish request is that its extremely easy to avoid the fireball via superjump,Dash under(some characters). and at mid close range there's almost no point in throwing a fireball for 80% to miss whether its a grounded fireball or an air fireball.
You'll probably say no and i'll happily eat this change.

if you wanted fukua to be fair in your search through these changes. this is probably your best result yet.

Edit and no i do not want 2 fireballs on the screen at once just the ability to use one ground and air fireball on their own.

Last edited:
Edit and no i do not want 2 fireballs on the screen at once just the ability to use one ground and air fireball on their own.
Explain how that's possible while still not having two onscreen at once, cuz if you mean being able to throw a ground one while the air wraith returns, that's the same as not having any cooldown at all, which sorta eliminates the point of cooldown. Plus not being able to tell the wraiths apart...

When I try to build combos around it, I always lose damage.
Even at regular jump height, fully scaled air drill does more damage than fully scaled super fireball or fully scaled BFFs, and lets you OTG after it. So at a minimum, anything into air drill super to ground drill super does more damage than any other 2-bar ender you can do. Ending with launch into sj.air drill to ground drill does around 2400 just for the two supers, fully scaled. That's 400 more than BFFs to ground drill and 900 more than super fireball to ground drill.

Explain how that's possible while still not having two onscreen at once, cuz if you mean being able to throw a ground one while the air wraith returns, that's the same as not having any cooldown at all, which sorta eliminates the point of cooldown. Plus not being able to tell the wraiths apart...
Like fukua is restricted to one ground fireball and one air fireball (like when fukua can only use one fireball and couldn't use another one until the first fireball disappeared) then all of the fireball wraith energy is used and must be recharged.

Like i said in my spoilers. if this is the intended final change then its a simple adjustment.

Like Mike said, having air and ground wraiths essentially would make it so the wraiths didn't exist in the first place because you'd get the first wraith back while throwing out the second.

Also, having air+ground wraiths would be confusing.

Well, it wouldn't be confusing if the ground and air fireballs were different colours and fukua had two colours of fireflies on each palette.

Like Mike said, having air and ground wraiths essentially would make it so the wraiths didn't exist in the first place because you'd get the first wraith back while throwing out the second.

Also, having air+ground wraiths would be confusing.
no no no!
umm i meant like using 2 fireballs (restricted to ground and air fireball) uses up the wraith and then must be regained.

not one ground fireball= one wraith and one air fireball= one wraith cause i would understand why that would be defeating the purpose.

this way if you mess up both fireballs and it whiffs you can't use the fireballs for 30-40f until the wraith comes back.

Edit: i'm honestly not sure if you guys are understanding what i was trying to convey. if you do and you think its stupid then just say so and i'll shush.

Edit: i'm honestly not sure if you guys are understanding what i was trying to convey.
I'm really not. What happens if you just throw one? Does it have a wraith? (Sorry for picking the word Wraith, heh.)

I'm really not. What happens if you just throw one? Does it have a wraith? (Sorry for picking the word Wraith, heh.)
yes if you throw one fireball.you still have wraith. but if you throw another fireball, which would be your second fireball, then you used up your wraith and now is in cooldown.

Remind me what exactly happened to Filia (and fukua?) that he lowered the sprite or something?

It's messing with stuff because she either falls faster or lands sooner or something.

Example: I can't really do 5HP > j.MP(1) > j.MK > AD > j.MP (crossunder) because the j.MP will whiff (so it's worse because they have more time to react/do stuff out of it, I can still use LP or w/e, but just saying this is a thing)

Example 2: Trying to do moves low to the ground like j.HK that normally works in retail, doesn't in beta.

Example 3: There's a re-jump combo in the corner where you do something like j.LP > j.MK > j.HP > rejump > w/e

When you hit j.HP you land before it comes out.

I remember reading about this, but I don't remember where to find it or the specifics of it.

Hm... this beta update made my beta stop working. The game simply quits after the initial loading screen. Does anyone knows how to fix this? Is the first time something like it happened with me.

Back