• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Skullgirls Team Building Thread

So is:

Painwheel -- (MP or HP) Gae Bolga Stinger
Ms. Fortune -- (HP) Fiber Upper
Squigly -- Center Stage

alright?

Also Pinion assist is acting weird.

I would suggest squigs' assist being c.hp
since PW with Low assist is really scary. however Center stage surprises people but really isn't an assist and can get tagged and doesn't do much for fortune. PW i would say c.mp would help squigs and fortune for assist

Debating on whether or not to add a 3rd character to this team, I feel like i need to round it out but then again i just started playing again so maybe its just my lack of skill and execution.

Valentine // cr.MK or Savage Bypass H
Squigly // Center Stage or cr.HP

Note that I only use center stage for Mortuary Drop gimmicks with valentine; im aware that she has much better actual assists.

Im thinking about anchoring the team with either Eliza or, as was recently suggested to me, Big Band. Still not sure though.

I played Double/Filia/Cerebella a bit with M Bomber/Updo/Loch-n-Load

However I've been trying some Filia/Cerebella/Double and i'm not sure which assists work better for Filia/Cerebella

I've been having doubts between Copter/Loch-n-Load and Bomber(L or M *Don't know which either*)/Slide, since I don't know what works better for Filia, but having Slide would be nice for DDrop conversions
I'd like tips on what type of assists work good on her specifically

Thanks a ton in advance

Personally I would do filia (updo)/copter/bomber, both LnL and copter are great assists for filia but LnL does basically the same thing as bomber so it would be redundant to use both IMO. Bomber to get you in and copter to keep you in and set up mixups is pretty strong. I don't play bella but slide seems like kind of a gimmicky thing that wouldn't be worth losing bomber for. For filia assists in general I would prioritize assists that get you in since that's the hardest part of playing filia (so in a filia/bella duo I would definitely run LnL), but both lockdown and horizontal space control assists are strong. I don't like dp assist for filia as much because she has a DP already and you really want to be playing more agressively.

L bomber vs M bomber, L bomber is a horizontal DP so the invuln frames let it get through a lot of stuff, and it also covers horizontal space so it's not bad for getting in. M bomber loses the invulnerable frames, but not only covers more space but also has more hits which can keep the opponent in place longer, giving you more time to get in. The first time I played filia/double I used L bomber because it seemed to be the more popular version, but playing with it longer I'm really becoming more fond of M bomber, for filia at least. Both are good assists and I don't know which would be better for bella since I dont play her, so I advise trying the team with both versions of bomber and seeing which you like more.

Reactions: Minimo
So is:

Painwheel -- (MP or HP) Gae Bolga Stinger
Ms. Fortune -- (HP) Fiber Upper
Squigly -- Center Stage

alright?

Also Pinion assist is acting weird.
What @Dreamepitaph said is pretty much on point.
I ran both center stage and stingers for a while and I don't think they are really worth it. I know it's really cool to full screen in a second and in the next BAM jMP in their faces and I still think it has a lot of potential, but Cremation (cHP) is way more consistent. You can do some nasty stuff with it.
PW doesn't have really good assists so cMP is kinda "meh, I guess you'll have to do".

I like squig cHP/pw LPinion/para pillar

HPinion might give fullscreen hshot spam conversion but thats not my thing and m and h both just feel awkward

but L is just weird and has decent startup time and a good hitbox and it has good hitstun and idk it kinda helps me get in? its a weird assist. easy combo extension. helps with some confirms from longer ranges. not sure what to think about it, but after being underwhelmed by literally everything else bar specific stuff (like bb/hpinion is dope, and taluda using throw is cool) LPinion seems to be the thing for me for the chars i play PW with and the way i want to play them

ye

edit:

as contribution to the topic above, if you don't like using fiber assist (i don't, i don't like using painwheel cMP either when i usually have squig cHP or bomber or hairball or anything i like better, copter, whatever) (i just dont like fiber assist, i mean, it doesn't suit me, its good. it doesn't suit me. pw can use it!)

IF YOU DONT LIKE IT sHK is still really good and i think gato/sMK is the combo for gato assist. slide assist is tempting, but you end up with cMK assist until you take her head off and uhh. huh. fair.

but gato might be underwhelming
so anyways

sHK is magic
sMK is also cute and own't change on you if you lose the head, two hit lockdown/combo extension

but sHK headless is launcher and you can pretend is mclone up close in combos and do a vortex with it

launcher vortexxx do it

a loch is a scottish word for lake.

Finally Got rid of Brass Assist and sticking with Beat Extend Assist.

Bella and Band are interchangeable for point position.

Wulf is just for backup when I need to switch out for a new team. with Hurt'n Hurl or Wulf Tackle mk version.

I use my assists more of a combo linker than a ways to get in now a days. The terrible habit of using Brass far off and using tumble run to close the distance was way to risky and I got more birthdays than I wish to count. I'm hoping I can get used to using BeatExtend more often in matches...

mg7rRhm.png

???

Loch-n-Load is also the name of a Demoman weapon in TF2, but that's neither here nor there
:y

Loch-n-Load is also the name of a Demoman weapon in TF2
Yup I was 2 used to that, had a good laugh tho

currently running:

val (point) with c.MK, robo with saw assist
not sure if i should stick either add another character (would prefer not to, but, eh) or change up the assist at all. saw feels good right now

Last edited:
Cerebella/Peacock/Fukua, Cerebella/Peacock and Cerebella/Fukua teams with LnL(H)/George(L)/Lovedart(H) assists (for now) respectively. Which assists should I use? I need an assist for Peacock to improve her zonning/defense, create an opening for Fukua and compensate Cerebella's low mobility.

Last edited:
I'd only change Love Dart to Heavy Drill.

Battle Butt + Drill Assist is safe and really abusable if you are smart with it.

Any of Bella's jump ins or pokes + Drill Assist lets Cerebella dash back in for a cLK/MGR/Bait set up where normally she would just get push blocked out immediately.

It's really scary.

Also I guess H Drill is a better Alpha Counter option for Peacock compared to love dart.

I think Drill is more solid and consistent for Cerebella than the Love Dart full screen gimmick strings with Peacock.

Also H Dart and L George sorta do similar things for Cerebella so that's kind of an unfortunate overlap in assist utility.

Still up to player preference though, as always!

A team I've been playing with is Filia/Squigly (c.hp)/<Double/Big Band> (M bomber/ M brass). Squig c.hp is obviously the setup assist, and bomber/brass provide horizontal coverage at neutral. There are a few things however that I'm still trying to work out, the two most prominent are:

Double or BB? I have experience with running both of those characters behind Filia in a duo and while bomber I think has a slight advantage over brass as an assist for Filia, I believe that Big Band is a better anchor (though that could be just due to inexperience with Double). Squigly however is a character I have picked up very recently and so I'm not sure which anchor would be better for her. I've mostly run the team with Big Band anchor and I do like brass for squigly (makes it easy to get charge and I can convert with center stage) but maybe bomber can accomplish the same thing? I dunno.

The other issue is that I'm very unsure of what assist to use for Filia, particularly in the fil/squig/bb team. Hairball is an assist that I am very fond of for BB and I don't personally think updo provides him with much. On the other hand hairball/<brass/bomber> is assist redundancy for Squigly, and updo is not only good at neutral but also gives squig a DP to alpha counter into if need be. Updo is also my preferred assist with Double, so the question about what assist to use for filia really only applies if I use band anchor. If I have to choose between having my point's assist be more or less useless for my 2nd or my anchor, which is preferable? I lean towards the anchor getting a subpar assist from the point since the 2nd would (presumably) be using the assist earlier, and in a momentum-heavy game like Skullgirls I'm more hesitant to take a disadvantage earlier in a game for an advantage later.

Hello I've played both x/Squigly/Big Band and x/Squigly/Double. imo Squigly gets a ton off Brass and not enough off Bomber.

Brass is rly good for Squigly since you can call it and charge punch stance at the same time, giving you a way to safely charge a stance. If the Brass happens to hit you can just let go of the button you were charging for stance, which was MP, and get a combo off the assist. You can also call it early in a combo to add a ton of damage to the first chain of your combo. You can do that with a lot of characters obv but with Squigly you can do it anywhere on the screen since you have Silver Chord. I also like having Big Band behind Squigly because it gives Squigly a good reversal option when she has 2 bars (Opera DHC SSJ).

I don't think Bomber is that good for Squigly. She has trouble converting off it in my experience, due to her slow dash speed. You can Opera to convert but even then you still have to be pretty close to them since otherwise they'll bounce on the Opera at a weird angle and you won't be able to continue the combo; it will basically never work from a max range assist call. I also don't think the DHCs between Squigly and Double are as good.

As far as the Filia assist goes I don't think it actually matters what Big Band gets off the assist since your point is rarely going to be assisting your anchor, that's not something that frequently comes up in normal play. That said, I don't think Hairball is redundant with Brass. They're both horizontal, but one of them is better from point blank because of more blockstun and the other is better from far away because it travels faster and has armor.

Reactions: Pickles
Why use M brass instead of H? Also what do you get from brass with filia?

I don't think Bomber is that good for Squigly. She has trouble converting off it in my experience
About this, charged chord is a very reliable way to convert from most of the screen (j.hp, bomber, silver chord is pretty incredible), if you call bomber assist during pressure you get a free charge and if they get hit you can convert, and even for combo extensions it makes her get ~9k for one bar and starting with no charges. About the DHCs I agree that it works a lot better with bigband, but still, I think she gets plenty off bomber.

And I'd probably go with updo, squigly could definitely use a defensive assist, and L beat extend + H updo assist is actually safe so it's not like bigband has no use for it (and he gets a 10k corner combo).

Hi, I like parasoul, and I plan on maining her. Now who do I play her with? I'm pretty OK with playing everyone except for beo and val. Val just makes me uncomfortable idk. Anyway I have tried play parasoul with a lot of the others.

Para/doubs

This is probably what I play the most, I'm not sure how I feel about it considering lk butt is weird for me to combo off of. Other then the butt thing I'm pretty OK with this.

Fuk/soul

I play this a lot too and I like it a lot simply because I don't have to worry about using otg when I get them with pillar. I also feel kinda confident with this team.

Para/squigly
This team is kinda nasty, I love chp assist but squigly is hard as heck and idk if I'm ready for her.

Para/Eliza

I'm pretty decent at both of these characters but... Assists? People have told me m sekhmet is really good with her but I'm guess I'm not using it right? Idk.

Para/mfortune

This team is kinda fun I guess, I play it both ways.

Para/pain

This is the same situation with swuigly, except I ckinda wanna learn PW

That's everyone I think? I would play val but... Her combo is too hard don't ask me why

Why use M brass instead of H? Also what do you get from brass with filia?

M has the same amount of armor and H doesn't slide as an assist so the only benefit of H over M is damage, while M is fast enough that I can use it to make overhead approaches safe (or the safe ones safer/more damaging) and in certain crossup setups. Obviously it provides horizontal pressure as well similar to LnL, and the armor also makes M brass better for countercalling than M bomber.

About this, charged chord is a very reliable way to convert from most of the screen (j.hp, bomber, silver chord is pretty incredible), if you call bomber assist during pressure you get a free charge and if they get hit you can convert, and even for combo extensions it makes her get ~9k for one bar and starting with no charges. About the DHCs I agree that it works a lot better with bigband, but still, I think she gets plenty off bomber.

And I'd probably go with updo, squigly could definitely use a defensive assist, and L beat extend + H updo assist is actually safe so it's not like bigband has no use for it (and he gets a 10k corner combo).

Haven't tried using H updo to make BE safe but that's pretty neat, I'll probably use updo with the BB team then cause like you said it's really good for squigly. Like I said I've mostly been doing the team with BB anchor so I haven't played much with squig/double but it sounds like she does have some synergy w/ bomber at least.

and even for combo extensions it makes her get ~9k for one bar and starting with no charges.
Give me your 9k combos

e: please

e2: and thank you

9k combos
The corner combo with squigly + assist that gives you time to charge is this:

c.lk, c.mp, s.hpx2, assist, charged one inch punch,
otg s.hpx2, silver chord, daisy,
charged dp,
s.hk,
j.mk, j.hp,
j.lp, j.mk, j.hk, H dive kick,
dash s.lpx2, s.mp, c.hp, drag n bite.

you can just not do the H dive kick and do s.mp before the s.hk, does a bit less but keeps them in the corner and it's a lot easier.

also if you do sbo c.hp after that you get 9.7k with M bomber

The corner combo with squigly + assist that gives you time to charge is this:

c.lk, c.mp, s.hpx2, assist, charged one inch punch,
otg s.hpx2, silver chord, daisy,
charged dp,
s.hk,
j.mk, j.hp,
j.lp, j.mk, j.hk, H dive kick,
dash s.lpx2, s.mp, c.hp, drag n bite.

you can just not do the H dive kick and do s.mp before the s.hk, does a bit less but keeps them in the corner and it's a lot easier.

also if you do sbo c.hp after that you get 9.7k with M bomber
Oh it's corner only? Is there anything interesting you can do midscreen? I did find you can call bomber and then silver chord to bring them back to you but for some reason the bomber adds undizzy even though I'm calling it in the first chain, it's weird

Oh it's corner only? Is there anything interesting you can do midscreen? I did find you can call bomber and then silver chord to bring them back to you but for some reason the bomber adds undizzy even though I'm calling it in the first chain, it's weird
If you don't walk while charging silver chord from the s.hp it doesn't use the undizzy (lol), but I don't really know what do to there, I'm not really getting any more significant damage than just doing a regular bnb after silver chord into daisy pusher (~8.3k).

Hi, I like parasoul, and I plan on maining her. Now who do I play her with? I'm pretty OK with playing everyone except for beo and val. Val just makes me uncomfortable idk. Anyway I have tried play parasoul with a lot of the others.

Para/Double

This is probably what I play the most, I'm not sure how I feel about it considering lk butt is weird for me to combo off of. Other then the butt thing I'm pretty OK with this.

Para/Eliza

I'm pretty decent at both of these characters but... Assists? People have told me m sekhmet is really good with her but I'm guess I'm not using it right? Idk.
I like these two the most.

You can use Bird assist for Eliza if you don't want to use M Sekh.
I think M Sekh makes more sense for Parasoul though?
Not sure how well Eliza's bird assist does on defence since she can be hit out of it even after the snap.

Converting off L Bomber should be as simple as dash OTG 2LK 2HP.
If you have lots of time, 6LP will re-stand the opponent.
Also practice with using L Shot with a LP MK Macro.
4...6 + Macro 1.

That way if the shot hits, Double should pick them up for you and you'll have time to dash with 2LK 2HP.
It's very useful.

Reactions: RQ
Most optimized mid screen assistless I've found with squigly is about 8.4-8.5k for 1 meter with punch charge.

Currently, I'm playing Painwheel(L/H Pinion Dash) / Big Band(M A-Train) and really love how it plays. A Train is useful for resets and burst baits (more so baits in the corner), and L Pinion helps me get in. I love the full screen H Giant Step + H Pinion conversions (though I need to practice it, all I can muster in an actual match is A Train haha). :D

However, I feel like I'm in need of an assist that either works as a reversal or that helps in neutral. You peeps have any suggestions? I'm willing to learn just about any character as long as they synergize pretty well with both characters/assists.

Thanks!

However, I feel like I'm in need of an assist that either works as a reversal or that helps in neutral. You peeps have any suggestions? I'm willing to learn just about any character as long as they synergize pretty well with both characters/assists.

BEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

(seriously beat extend does basically everything a-train does and more)

Reactions: mcpeanuts
A-Train only if you want to do excellabella shit without cerebella.

BEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

So yeah, I was wrong. Beat Extend IS pretty amazing.

I went into training mode to see who can convert off of H Pinion with relative ease. Came up with:

Painwheel (H Pinion)/Big Band (L Extend)/Squigly (c.HP)
or
Big Band (L Extend)/Squigly (c.HP)/Painwheel (H Pinion)

Squigly can convert off of H Pinion with relative ease thanks to H Divekick.

So yay! After a couple hundred hours of searching, I think I finally found my main team. :D

If Big Band lands H Giant Step he can convert off it with a timed H Pinion.

He can also convert off Giant Step x Super Sonic Jazz or simply Super Sonic Jazz by landing an OTG giant step after their landing with a timed H Pinion.

It's what makes BigWheel pretty menacing.

There's also other neutral timing set ups that make it difficult to punish Band if he does H/M Step, H/M A-Train, or Brass H/M.

Quick question for yall, what would you say is the best team you can make that satisfies the following criteria

1) Has Squigly
2) Does not have Big Band

Quick question for yall, what would you say is the best team you can make that satisfies the following criteria

1) Has Squigly
2) Does not have Big Band
Eliza (Spiral) / Squigly (cHP) / Parasoul (Pillar)

Eliza assist can also be Couch or Divekick if you prefer either of those

- Squig cHP is pretty good for Eliza and Sekhmet
- Eliza builds pretty decent meter and doesn't really need any, which is neat for Squigly
- Pillar is defensive assist with air control on a char that doesn't suck on anchor and isn't Band
- Spiral is pretty good for both Squig and Soul (closerange chip pressure) but has some overlap with Squig cHP so if you manage to land in Para+2Assist order a bunch, could consider switching Liza assist to either of the others

Umm.....

Fortune/Squigly/double (Team dolfinh)

A really good team. Always has meter, Fortune is a cool character and can function on her own but doesn't offer much to squigs so maybe no.

Most likely.........

Parasoul/Squigs/Bella or......... double/Squigs/Para
Pillar/c.hp/copter or H lnl L bomber/ Dnb/ L shot

@mcpeanuts are there any additional requirements?

Reactions: mcpeanuts