• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Souls Series and Bloodborne

I'm glad you said that Balder, I'm really looking forward to playing with the Majestic Greatsword.
Yeah though, I'm going to balance my stats across the board and rely on technique to do well in both PvE and PvP. Hopefully my newfound skills in parrying comes in handy. I might equip a parry rapier to help that out.

I'm really starting to get into the lore of this series. It's amazing how you can play through these games without discovering what is essentially a library of information shrouded by enigma. PlagueOfGripes said it best, the writers of Dark Souls tell their story beautifully by keeping their fucking mouths shut. Say Little, Imply More.

most of the times i clear the game i'm at around level 130 or so you don't need to be much more to beat it. maybe a bit more for the dlcs but otherwise not really. after like lv 120 or so its much more important to have a +10 weapon
I cleared it at SL70 (just like in DS1). That said, the DLCs were a real struggle and I brought help (human or AI) for practically every boss besides Raime, whom I made it a point of solo'ing...and took like a week to do it. <:3
It's just that I have this silly "ritual" of leveling up gradually through game cycles (NG > SL70; NG+ > SL125 > NG++ > SL175).
But yes, gear trumps SL...hence why people keep getting trounced by mega-mulers with low SLs and maxed end game gear.

Yeah though, I'm going to balance my stats across the board and rely on technique to do well in both PvE and PvP.
(...)
I'm really starting to get into the lore of this series.
That was pretty much my first build in DS1. I didn't know about the "unwritten rules" so I just invested points in everything. Not a planned thing but I got to play with all the best toys so it's all good.
Personally, I enjoy the idea of a build having strengths and weaknesses as it encourages different approaches. Per instances, my paladin (STR/FTH) build in DS1 couldn't even use a bow. Getting past the Anor Londo snipers was quite the interesting experience. <:3

I think you'll really enjoy the second game (DS1; can't speak for Demon's Souls) then. It's more complicated in some of its mechanics (namely weapon infusions) and PvP is even more about finding the Cheese Factor™ but the story and world are a lot more engaging, namely the NPCs, and even some of the bosses, who leave very strong impressions. Especially Gwynevere. Amazing chest indeed.

That was pretty much my first build in DS1. I didn't know about the "unwritten rules" so I just invested points in everything. Not a planned thing but I got to play with all the best toys so it's all good.
I'm not really going for a jack-of-all-trades build, I'm going for a build that gives me a lot of options in battle. Downside is that I won't be able to do a lot of raw damage, but I can move nimbly while still taking a hit.
I've put a lot of thought into it and this build definitely suits my odd style while still staying strong.
I think you'll really enjoy the second game (DS1; can't speak for Demon's Souls) then. It's more complicated in some of its mechanics (namely weapon infusions) and PvP is even more about finding the Cheese Factor™ but the story and world are a lot more engaging, namely the NPCs, and even some of the bosses, who leave very strong impressions. Especially Gwynevere. Amazing chest indeed.
The lore is what I'm most excited about in Dark Souls I, I've watched a lot of game play and I see that Dark Souls II is definitely superior in that regard. In terms of story the first game feels more like a Souls game than the second.

Sorry for double posting but I'm nearing the end of the game. Before I kill Nashandra I need to know something.
Does the DLC affect the ending in any way?

Sorry for double posting but I'm nearing the end of the game. Before I kill Nashandra I need to know something.
Does the DLC affect the ending in any way?
not that i know of, though going through the iron king definitally couldn't hurt in the final boss since there's a hidden item there that helps with her fight a fair amount.

Alright, good to know.
I'm just gonna take her on now.

Has the lost crowns been very successful for From? If so I'd expect more DLCs.

You may get your wish. You know how there were special palette swap versions of weapons to celebrate each section of the Crowns DLC placed in the chest in the Majula mansion basement?

Well, that treasure box (http://www.darksouls.jp/pc/treasurebox/) has a four more to go.

• Black Rapier
  • Gold Greataxe
  • Bloody Great Club
  • Red Caestus

I wonder what From Software is waiting for. Best case scenario: four more DLC expansions. Realistically though, they might be simple promotions. Like here's a gold weapon for Golden Week in Japan, or here's a black weapon to remind ya'll Bloodborne just came out.

Is that what that Longsword was? I just visited the Majula Mansion Chest for no reason and noticed that it was closed. I was confused to find just a plain old Longsword inside, and even more confused when I noticed it had a blue tint.

I missed the first two Majula chest giveaways. (.__.)

Anyway, breezing through NG+ (in comparison to NG, of course) and currently in The Gutter. In the true Slowpoke fashion that characterizes me, I finally gave the Large Club a shot and was quick to realize why it receives so much favor. Relatively small STR requirement, lite for its size and S scale in STR have their benefits. With 30 STR, I'm one-shotting NG++ spiders (and it's funny as heck to squash them with the 2 hand R2).

In more dismaying news, I just learned I can't "double dip" the Heirs of the Sun rank rewards. It's one Sun Parma, one Sun Sword and one Sunlight Spear. <:3
That said, I will continue with my Sunbro duties. Jolly cooperation is its own reward! \[T]/
2ba.png

tumblr_ndho9nhszr1rkn25go1_1280.jpg

When PvP takes a turn for the worse.
526.jpg

Reactions: Denizen and Jimbob
Isn't fucking the sun dangerous?

<GETS TURNED ON BY DANGER.

I haven't killed Nashandra yet because I wanted to tie up some loose ends. As I said before I don't want to initiate New Game+ for this character because I feel like I'd be undoing all the work I've done. Completing every quest line and optional objective takes a lot of time and effort. If I want more challenges then Ascetics should do just fine.

Anyway, I think the best Covenant for fighting is the Bell Keeper's Covenant.
It has tangible rewards, creative combat arenas, there's actual risk involved, and several people can join in a fight. The only real downside I see is that fighting is restricted to the Belfries.

<GETS TURNED ON BY DANGER.

I haven't killed Nashandra yet because I wanted to tie up some loose ends. As I said before I don't want to initiate New Game+ for this character because I feel like I'd be undoing all the work I've done. Completing every quest line and optional objective takes a lot of time and effort. If I want more challenges then Ascetics should do just fine.

It has tangible rewards, creative combat arenas, there's actual risk involved, and several people can join in a fight. The only real downside I see is that fighting is restricted to the Belfries.

Killing Nashy doesn't automatically start NG+. Yes, you have to sit through the credits, but you don't hit NG+ until you go back to the Majula bonfire and specifically select to start NG+.

Reactions: Gamesandgoodies
Killing Nashy doesn't automatically start NG+. Yes, you have to sit through the credits, but you don't hit NG+ until you go back to the Majula bonfire and specifically select to start NG+.
I know that, I wasn't implying that though. I think you misread what I was saying. I meant I was tying up loose ends in the main game since after I kill Nashandra I'm going to move on to the DLC. I also just wanted to explain why I won't be doing NG+. Also You only need to quote the part of my post you're replying to.

The only problem with the Bell-bangers is, like the Forest Hunters in Dark Souls, a wild sense of anything-goes. Any knight in glossy armor looking for an honorable duel will be disappointed to face 2 vs. 1 battles. However, I enjoy the chaos and unpredictability but I can see why some might be upset by it. I got a few messages over PSN whining about fairness and even one from a fellow Bell-bro complaining of kill-stealing.

The only thing about Bell Keepers I disapprove of is a gray spirit hiding until he/she gets backup of another gray. Get out there and fight, earn your titanite chunk!

Speaking of farming for materials, I don't want to spoil the DLC, so I'll be vague when I complain that there is an area intended for farming. I find it quite vexing that this area is susceptible to the 12 rounds then despawn rule. Yeah, if you kill an enemy enough times, they won't be there after 12 or so times. So with this reluctant bonfire ascetic, I wonder if it is even worth the grind.

After you kill Shanaynay, Chloanne sells unlimited amounts of Chunks so the reward is 'meh' at best. The true downside of that covenant is that being its member makes one a twat. :3
But really, with the SM system, you'll likely get the short end of the stick in many battles. If it were like DS1's SL threshold system, you might get paired with even-leveled players, but here, even my humble SL110 can be made to fight a SL300 quick-dodge hexing Havelyn.

IMHO you'd be better served if you look for fight clubs but that does require more involvement with the community. Alas, I don't know the details about 'em other than the fact that they exist.

Speaking of farming for materials, I don't want to spoil the DLC, so I'll be vague when I complain that there is an area intended for farming. I find it quite vexing that this area is susceptible to the 12 rounds then despawn rule.
the Lair of the Imperfects in Shulva? They drop Dragon Bones like candy but I hate fighting those pricks.
Speaking of farming and DLC, I gotta say, the additional chapters really helped. Going through the main game in NG+ (which I haven't done in a while), I see how absurdly stingy the game is with Twinkling and Bones. :/

There is a infinite farming technique for said materials. I linked a video and explanation in post #561 (page 15).

Side note, I got a new patch last night while booting up the game. Calibration 1.12 IIRC.
I'm trying to find patch notes but all I find is a trollish log with made-up stuff. Pretty damn funny though.

Reactions: Denizen
The only problem with the Bell-bangers is, like the Forest Hunters in Dark Souls, a wild sense of anything-goes. Any knight in glossy armor looking for an honorable duel will be disappointed to face 2 vs. 1 battles.
"Honorable Duels" are overrated, one-on-one battles on flat and even terrain bore me, I do that enough in real life. It's way more satisfying to use resourcefulness and pragmatism to take on two or even three opponents at once.
I don't know how the BnB and the Sentinels can stand grinding out a hundred duels in those bland arenas of theirs.
The true downside of that covenant is that being its member makes one a twat. :3
But really, with the SM system, you'll likely get the short end of the stick in many battles. If it were like DS1's SL threshold system, you might get paired with even-leveled players, but here, even my humble SL110 can be made to fight a SL300 quick-dodge hexing Havelyn.
Pfft, those punks knew what they signed up for when they stepped onto my turf. Those Blood Bros are the real dicks.
Seriously though the Soul Memory system makes me kind of nervous. It implies that as long as I keep fighting the average Soul Level of my opponents will increase. So far I've been capable of handling anything that comes my way because of my combination of physical and fire damage, but what if it comes to a point where I'm consistently 200 levels under all of my opponents? I don't want to level up past 173.

Pfft, those punks knew what they signed up for when they stepped onto my turf. Those Blood Bros are the real dicks.
Seriously though the Soul Memory system makes me kind of nervous. It implies that as long as I keep fighting the average Soul Level of my opponents will increase. So far I've been capable of handling anything that comes my way because of my combination of physical and fire damage, but what if it comes to a point where I'm consistently 200 levels under all of my opponents? I don't want to level up past 173.

poeple overeagerate the extremeness of level differences. I have spent 30+ hours on multiple characters mostly pvping and i have yet to notice a huge soul level difference. even if they're like 30 or so level higher it's honestly not that much of a difference as at that point equipments matter much more than levels. like you have to spend a massive amount of time on one character playing and getting a huge rediculous soul memory, like 10 million soul memory and things may be different then. but 173 should be a fine enough level at most any soul memory except maybe like 30+mil soul memory. i wouldn't know that though since i never got that high.

Yeah, eventually I saw that keeping the character at 150 for PvP was pointless. Here's a thread on reddit that best explains why: The SL 150 PVP Meta, and Why It's All Wrong...

The meat of the argument is that Dark Souls II wants you to level up more than the previous game and if you restrain yourself too much, you are only limiting your options.

I had one character I strictly kept at 150 (Alita) and another I let level up to what was sensible to the build I was going for. That resulted with a Faith/Dex build called Belwas currently at 202.

the Lair of the Imperfects in Shulva? They drop Dragon Bones like candy but I hate fighting those pricks.
There is a infinite farming technique for said materials. I linked a video and explanation in post #561 (page 15).

Close, but not there. Your tip you mentioned is way more valuable than the hassle of fighting those things. Dragon bones and twinkling titanite is well in control.

The farming place I was indicating is a hot spot surrounded by icy cold. A place you can drop in and farm a certain something that only exists within the enemies there. Apparently those enemies despawn. They even have a pathetic intro animation like they are about to appear and then nothing. Time to burn an ascetic I guess.

"Honorable Duels" are overrated, one-on-one battles on flat and even terrain bore me, I do that enough in real life. It's way more satisfying to use resourcefulness and pragmatism to take on two or even three opponents at once.
I don't know how the BnB and the Sentinels can stand grinding out a hundred duels in those bland arenas of theirs.
Well, I prefer the "honorable duels" with gentlemanly bows and good ol' melee but I'm a stick-in-the-mud like that. :P
Incidentally, got jumped while talking to Casper and it was one such a duel. Just melee between equally leveled builds, each lugging a big ass weapon. None of that try-hard build bs. That kinda PvP I enjoy. Feels like the first Soulcalibur or even a 3D Samurai Spirits.

Blood Bros and Blue Balls grind duels to earn Cracked Orbs. In DS1 the similar covenants (Darkwraiths and Darkmoon) give the player a complete orb with unlimited uses. And in 2, well, you know how it is in 2.

people overeagerate the extremeness of level differences. I have spent 30+ hours on multiple characters mostly pvping and i have yet to notice a huge soul level difference. even if they're like 30 or so level higher it's honestly not that much of a difference as at that point equipments matter much more than levels.
My NG++ hexer is sitting on 5,000,000+ souls and my NG+ melee build on around 3,000,000. My characters have a very high SM, at least when compared to their SL. If I kept investing those is SLs, I could have builds roid-raging on levels. This isn't even much about PvP meta, I personally just enjoy the idea of a build having strengths and weaknesses. You are right that equipment is the most important thing but remember that certain stats affect performance of equipment; the most obvious examples being scaling bonuses and VIT for equipment load. DS2 never got that bad, but remember the ninja-flipping Havel moms in DS1? :/
And it really doesn't take much to boost SM, especially if you Sunbro or farm for certain materials (lol Shrine of Amana).

Anywho, I admit I "bumped" my personal limit from SL150 to SL175. My hexer was a anemic mess that ran out of breath in 2 seconds just because I wanted a little more STR to play with the Scythe of Want.

The farming place I was indicating is a hot spot surrounded by icy cold. A place you can drop in and farm a certain something that only exists within the enemies there.
And let me guess - you need 50 of that drop? :3
If it is what I'm thinking it is, you are better served doing co-op for that fight. The drop rate is higher for phantoms. Alas, and this ties to what I said above, watch your SM sky-rocket.

Side note, I lucked out against the two Pursuers and managed to get the Ring of Blades +2 from the first I beat. *keikaku.jpg*

Side note, I lucked out against the two Pursuers and managed to get the Ring of Blades +2 from the first I beat. *keikaku.jpg*
agianst those two persuers i have had somet funny things where sometimes the first one drops it, but also if one of you stabs you with the magic stab they tend to leave right after and make it a one on one that still gives ROB+2.

also lv 175 seems like a reasonable soul level to stay at with characters.

So I need someone to put my mind at ease.
I'm not the only one who likes to round off his stats to fives and tens right?

against those two pursuers i have had some funny things where sometimes the first one drops it, but also if one of you stabs you with the magic stab they tend to leave right after and make it a one on one that still gives ROB+2.
That's pretty much how I went about it. Baited the curse stab, the other one left and the one who stayed, dropped the ring. Then came back for that piece of Twinkling (you know this crap is a commodity when the game makes you kill a Pursuer to get a piece of it).
I know they are "manageable"; there's a video in this thread with one nutcase schooling those tin cans with his bare hands but I went with the official pussy strat. (.__.)

I'm not the only one who likes to round off his stats to fives and tens right?
My hexer falls off in a couple of stats because I really had to invest them all minutely but, rule of thumb, I'm all about dat OCD. They're also reliable reference points for when stats begin to give diminishing returns.

I see now why the Iron Keep Bridge is such a popular PvP hot-spot. There's a bonfire right next to an even battleground with a spectator's space, and you're right next to Magerold of Lanafir and Belfry Sol.
It's obviously designed for PvP, but I still don't like it. Iron Keep is just really hard on my eyes. All that fire, magma, and metal is painful to look at.

With only the Throne Bros and Nashandra to take care of, I got the main game practically done in my NG+ and moved on to the DLC areas. It's true to every type of build but melee builds really begin to shine in NG+ with the +2 rings of Blades, Steel Protection and Royal Guard. Shining so well, I even managed to beat BOTH Velstadt and Vendrick at first attempt. Maybe it was all the abuse I took from Raime but Vendrick was PATHETIC.
Something I failed to do in NG was clear the quest lines for Lucatiel and Benhart, which I finally pulled through...but it was tough. Lucatiel got stomped by the Sinner and barely made it past The Rotten.
Ben was even worse because that sunovabitch is crazy! Dumbass goes "LEEEEEEEEEROY JEEEEEEEEEENKINS!!!!" into every fight and with both Looking Glass Knight and Giant Lord he pulled through with practically 0 HP. He never makes it against Nashandra so I had to let Giant Lord kill me whenever he didn't survive the fight. I still think he's popping shrooms when we're not looking; I mean, "I know how swords think"? Reliable phantoms don't do drugs, Ben! His sword is pretty cool even if it doesn't have magic, and it upgrades with standard titanite, which is always a plus!
But not all is roses and sunshine and I'm getting smacked silly in Shulva. Ya know that ascetic trick in Tower of Prayer? Yeah, it's come to bite me in the derrière. Bonfire intensity 34 is serious business. <:3
At least From was magnanimous enough to ascribe the area with all the ghost knights to a different bonfire.

Side note, I wish I could Fashion Souls the Ivory King Helm. It's like a classy version of Smough's helm but that thing looks downright goofy in most armors.

Anywho, to add something of actual value to this post:
He hints that the next video will be a 'Prepare to Cry' to do with the Iron Crown DLC + a look at Lords of the Fallen.

PvP after beating Nashandra is a whole different ball game. I'm always going to love my Drangleic Sword but the lack of reach is a huge problem. I'm switching back to my old Claymore for now. I really wish there was a greatsword that's exceptionally good at parrying, I'd be willing to take a damage nerf for that.

So apparently if you used the Key to the Embedded to free the Milfinito in Drangleic Castle you can get another one by using a Bonfire Ascetic to fight the Demon of Song one more time. This is my new favorite weapon.
I don't give a fuck about how weak it is, it's a giant key. That's my shit.

So apparently if you used the Key to the Embedded to free the Milfinito in Drangleic Castle you can get another one by using a Bonfire Ascetic to fight the Demon of Song one more time. This is my new favorite weapon.
I don't give a fuck about how weak it is, it's a giant key. That's my shit.
It's a shame it can't be upgraded. Even if its "purpose" is supposed to be some weird non-key item, they should've given the option to get it stronger.

It's a shame it can't be upgraded. Even if its "purpose" is supposed to be some weird non-key item, they should've given the option to get it stronger.
It's base physical damage is like 220 so at least it isn't useless, it's as powerful as a fully upgraded Straight Sword. I've actually been doing some pretty decent damage for a fast greatsword like this. I should mention that it has one distinct advantage over every other greatsword. Its counter strength is 150, that's really fucking high.

Last edited:
Can it be buffed?

It can be buffed, I actually love using it with the Pyromancy, Flame Weapon.
I don't know if it can be infused though.

Gunna have to use it now.

Color me surprised as I recently discovered that "gitting gud" is actually a thing.
NG+, SL120 melee build going solo against Raime/Fume Knight and I managed to beat him at first try with very little complications. This was the boss that took me around 50 attempts in NG and that I once declared was likely the hardest boss in the game. Guess all that Sunbro duty helping CASULS get past him did pay off! o_0
Meanwhile, Alonne still keeps beating me like a drum. It just looks like NOTHING works on him in terms of dealing damage. <:3

And a very special shout-out to Elana - Fuck you and your grime thug! t(-_-t)
Elana is just one of those moments where the game goes full retard on the difficulty. It wants you dead, fairness be damned! Machine gun Resonant Soul spamming, calling Velstadt Mk.II again IMMEDIATELY after you take it down, keeps teleporting across every corner in the room while you're getting chased by a maniac with a giant mace (really, why isn't Yakety Sax her battle theme?) and makes it a point to always be placed in a manner where you can't keep an eye on both, etc.
I think From needs to strongly consider a graphical patch for this fight - replace the defeat message YOU DIED with a big, flashing neon NOT A FRAUD. #iaintevenmad

6d2.png

Colour Elana in strong shades of bullshit.

Fuck Faith Hexes
Fuck Homing Soulmass
Fuck Santier's Spear
Fuck the Red Rust Twinblade
Fuck the Ice Rapier
Fuck Halberd Twirlers
Fuck Great Magic Barrier
Fuck Havel's Set
Fuck Water

Also you're a faggot if you use the No Way gesture after winning.

Pvp troubles?

Not hearing complaints about katanas and Helix Halberd so I don't think Denizen still got to enjoy the full PvP experience package. :3

Anyway, to atone for my SHAMEFUR DISPRAY in NG, where I bested Sir Alonne with the help of a Sunbro, I made it a point in beating him solo this time around. Most will probably say that Raime is the tougher of the two but to me, it's very much the other way around. I find Alonne's charge attack very tricky to dodge given the wildly differing delay timings, his habit of mercilessly punishing any attempt to chug and, this especially, his huge HP coupled with abnormally high resistance to practically everything.
That said, after several experimental attempts, I finally bested him with the Red Iron Twinblade (Yorgh's Spear also seemed like a good choice). And did so in less than 12 attempts since the area wasn't cleansed of enemies.
It's a very enjoyable fight so, unlike Elana, the Queen of Bullshit, I don't mind the losses. Like Raime, it's a very fair test of skill and if you're up to it, the improvement is clear. Unfortunately, the Memory of the Iron King area is very unpleasant to traverse and I think that taints some of the enjoyment.
I think From should consider patching in a Boss Practice Mode that lets the player pick any boss fight and play it with maybe the option to respec the build so the player can try different approaches. Just a idle thought.

For a bit of random trivia, it just came to my knowledge that Sir Alonne's weapon is a nagamaki.

Possibly my favorite track in the game. (Sorry, Skeleton Lords.)

Not hearing complaints about katanas and Helix Halberd so I don't think Denizen still got to enjoy the full PvP experience package. :3
Unless those Katanas are buffed with Dark then I really don't have a problem with them. I've fully reinforced my Royal Soldier Set so I can take a hit from smaller weapons. As for the Helix Halberd I just haven't seen any yet, which is understandable because of how well hidden it is.

Question, does the back step have invincibility frames like the roll?

Royal Soldier Set? That's some Poverty Souls shiat right there. But since you're rocking it, you should totally troll invaders in the Forest by pretending you're one of them. :3

Helix Halberd is very close to Amana's second bonfire, in a Pharros Lockstone-hidden area. I confess I wouldn't have found by myself.
Anyway, the point of HH is that its heavy attacks cause a spike to thrust out of the weapon's shaft and if you can get the target with just that spike, it deals significantly more damage. So, like the reaper class weapons, it's a "sweet spot gimmick" weapon.
Together with Syan's Halberd, it's currently regarded as the go-to weapon for try hard builds.
4d6.png

As for backstep, yes, it does have i frames but I don't know if the ADP stat affects it like it affects rolling.

Anyway, here's a solid PvP tutorial.

Reactions: Denizen and Jimbob
Royal Soldier Set? That's some Poverty Souls shiat right there. But since you're rocking it, you should totally troll invaders in the Forest by pretending you're one of them. :3
Nah man, you're thinking of the Hollow Soldier Set, I'm rocking the Royal Soldier Set, the fresh and swag version of the crappy armor. It matches well with my weapons, especially my badass keyblade.
As for backstep, yes, it does have i frames but I don't know if the ADP stat affects it like it affects rolling.
That's super useful information, I was just using to get out of range of thrusting attacks.

Helix Halberd is very close to Amana's second bonfire, in a Pharros Lockstone-hidden area. I confess I wouldn't have found by myself.
4d6.png

Anyway, here's a solid PvP tutorial.
wow i didn't know where that was until now and looked up where it was.

also doesn't that double sword thing not work anymore cause of another patch?

Nah man, you're thinking of the Hollow Soldier Set, I'm rocking the Royal Soldier Set, the fresh and swag version of the crappy armor.
No. I know what I'm thinking. :3
Rocking Defender's set with Mask of Judgment made me a Fashion Souls snob. (.__.)

Speaking of gear, I've started farming the Rampart Golems for drops and got their shield. It's really good, kinda like a lighter version of the Rebel Greatshield - crummy physical defense (around 70.0) but all the elemental defenses are 90.0+. It also upgrades with regular titanite which is ALWAYS a plus.
Also started to use the Estoc as my main weapon for most PvE (and possible PvP encounters). Without the need of Royal Soldier's Ring +2 to avoid fat rolls, I replaced that with the Stone Ring which increases poise damage. #TryHardBandwagon
These two combined usually give enough equipment load leeway to carry both Drakekeeper Shield and Rampart Golem Shield for optimal adaptation. Still swap to Greatsword whenever bosses are involved.

also doesn't that double sword thing not work anymore cause of another patch?
From what I've gathered, it seems they fix things and then people rush to the next broken thing and then they fix that and then the first broken thing is broken again. @_@
Currently, it seems Ice Rapier is the one allowing the most obscenely broken stuff, like infinite stun-locks.

Side note, some pretty cool gifs of the attacks of the several bosses in Dark Souls 1 are being gradually added to the Wikia. Here's a few just so I can mess with your crappy 56K modems. :P (I lived through those Dark Ages.)
People new to the series fight the Old Dragonslayer and don't understand why the old timers still shake in their boots when they see that push over. Well, here's one of the several reasons why:
S-Ornstein-Impale.gif

Bonus fluffy tail:
Priscilla-Double.gif
Priscilla-Mist.gif
Priscilla-Mist-Spread.gif