• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Souls Series and Bloodborne

it's about as finished as dark souls 1 was.
Where was the advertised lighting? The actual attempts to make characters with interesting story? Unique bosses and enemies? Non-rushed areas ?

Where was the advertised lighting? The actual attempts to make characters with interesting story? Unique bosses and enemies? Non-rushed areas ?
the lighting idea they had sounds cool but honestly I think it would be more burdensome and less fun for the majority of people. Like for example the nice new way they handled duel wielding would be completely pointless since you would be spending most of the game with a torch on. also i said it was as complete as dark souls 1 and there is no system like that in dark souls 1. Also as another thing is that advertisements for game are full of lies and it's a truth that has to be dealt with when dealing with any game coming out.

The story of King Vendrick and Nashandra is good and interesting, Lucatiels arc of hopelessness and fading out was much more interesting than the common DS1 NPC arc of
"hello chosen undead i'm going to firelink shrine, cya there."
"nice to meet you at firelink shrine chosen undead, I'm going to fuck off and die"
*fucks off and dies*
And benharts journey was all kind of cool

Though in dark souls 1 there is much more NPCs with multiple events in their story, but these are much easier to miss and their story aren't that much better it's just the Vaatividyas make them much more awesome. (Speaking of which he just made a great one on Alonne and the Iron King) Dark souls 2 NPCs have less story with them but the dark souls 1 npc stories were too easily miss-able, that is a problem of the story of dark souls 1 npcs that many people don't seem to acknowledge. and those videos of them add way more than what the game has in it.

Finally the fact you can miss ever invader in dark souls 1 by being hallowed (which is honestly the ideal state to be in in dark souls 1) is fucking bullshit and makes the invader npcs in ds 2 much better, also the DLC ones are sublime.

When people talk about unique bosses they seem to omit an important part of a boss being unique, the way you fight it. Both dark souls 1 and 2 have the problem one main strategy for the majority of bosses, In dark souls 1 it was get in that ass and stay there, in dark souls 2 it was circle strafe in the direction opposite of their weapon hand. also astectic wise dark souls 1 has the same looking boss 3 times..
for unique bosses strategy wise there gwyndolin, gwyn, moonlight butterfly, perscilla and all the DLC ones. there's also fire centipede and bed of chaos which are unique but they are unique for being poorly done bosses, at the fire centipede the camera just shits itself and the bed of chaos is just poorly designed.
Most all of the DLC bosses are amazing and in the base game the executioners chariot, old iron king, nakaja, and darklurker are all different feeling bosses from the main strategy for bosses.

for enemies you must really be nostalgic and conveniently forget the fact that the main enemies in most every area in Dark Souls 1 is either hollows or hollow soldiers who all look alike. this post is ridiculously long so I won't post a list comparing the areas in dark souls 1 and dark souls 2 which don't have hollows or hollow soldiers. Instead I will ask you to make this list in the response to this and see for yourself how many areas in dark souls 1 and dark souls 2 don't have the similar hollow soldiers.

The areas in dark souls 2 are more linear and less connected than in DS 1 but the levels are still better and less linear than most games. also Blighttown is the most poorly designed level in any of the games because the enemies can't even properly traverse it, and even slight backing up breaks their AI and ability to climb ladders.
also once again the DLC levels are all great.

the biggest problem most people have with dark souls 2 is their own nostalgia and even when bringing up all of these things i can't really change the nostalgia. The first souls game a person plays is the hardest and most memorable. and looking back on things it's always better than it actually was.

so i started to make a faith strength build and i have very little idea what i'm going to do with it weapon wise. I may use the butcher's knife cause it's a really fun and good weapon. anyone have any other weapon ideas for this build?

Also how do i make a lv 175 hexer build? i tried making one and it is super anemic and wonky to play. i think i may ignore the faith hexes and just got with the int ones lowering my faith and putting some more much needed stats into vgr/end. which sucks cause i really wanna play around with dark dance.

anyone have any other weapon ideas for this build?
Sacred Chime Hammer? It is the token Paladin weapon, after all.

I'm going to re-spec my SL175 melee build to be DEX/FTH and already have my arsenal ready. Some suggestions still apply:
Defender's Greatsword with LTN infusion - even with the nerf, it's arguably the best weapon for FTH builds.
Elana's Wrathful Axe - the second most demanding STR/FTH weapon, might be worth toying around with.
Sun Sword - A scaling in both STR and DEX. Cast Sunlight Blade to make the best of it. One of the best "multi-purpose weapons" IMHO.
Dragon Chime with LTN infusion - mandatory for every FTH build and should go without saying.

Also how do i make a lv 175 hexer build?
I'm not entirely certain how mine is, but I think it went:
VGR - 20
END - 10
VTL - 9
ATN - 30 or 40
STR - 16
DEX - 20
ADP - 15
INT - 50
FTH - 50
Also not sure about END and VTL but they are the weakest stats. STR was pulled to 16 just to fiddle around with the Scythe of Want.
Regarding Dark Dance, you can always use spices to lower the requirement. The hex will not be as effective though.

Side note, I bought Demon's Souls relatively recently...though I don't know if that speaks of my enthrallment with the series or the miserable state of the industry where I have to get 5 year old games. <:3
It's still very enjoyable and given that these games all have modest budgets, the difference in graphics isn't too big and what the game lacks in graphics, it makes up in ambiance (Tower of Latria - 2spooky4me). Definitely agree with the statements that DeS has a much stronger Berserk feel than DaS, even if the references in the later seem more direct.
Currently playing as a Thief class with balanced stats leaning towards DEX. Will eventually try a Paladin build because I simply have to goof around with Hands of God.
Also, Maiden in Black >>>>>> Potato Herald

EDIT: new Bloodborne trailer

Last edited:
So after some more play and lots of losing then a bit of winning i think i'm finally begning to understand how playing a hexer works. it's really hard against poeple who know how to roll spells, but having a quick melee weapon helps alot. also throwing items is nice and handy.

Since I haven't even gotten to dark souls 2 due to still playing dark souls, do you think it would just be best to wait until the updated version of the game?

yea prolly best though older versions are getting everything expect better graphics and 6 player multiplayer.
also i can't dodge crystal homing soul mass at all, it's silly how bad i am at dodging it.

So would it matter if I get the updated version on ps3 or could I get a copy of the game, wait for the update and then get all the dlc, although If i do the getting dlc separately I might not be able to get them all in one go given the internet situation.

So would it matter if I get the updated version on ps3 or could I get a copy of the game, wait for the update and then get all the dlc, although If i do the getting dlc separately I might not be able to get them all in one go given the internet situation.
ah there is that, then you prolly will want to wait for the new version since it will come with the DLCs

So, I got Dark Souls II for Christmas from a Cousin, i haven't started it yet.
Question, do I need to play Dark Souls 1 before it, or should I just go right ahead?
I still would very much like to own DS 1 for PS3 at least.

Also should discussion for Bloodborne go here or in a new thread

"Media dump threads ban" is not the equivalent of "no videos/pictures allowed!" as I made it perfectly clear in the rules. As long as the videos are relevant to the discussion and is not the discussion your fine.

I'm getting Bloodborne on the first day I can.
Which is good because I'm planning to get my PS4 next month.

So should I still get Dark Souls 1 or.

Duly noted, I asked because I was about to order it, but the seller on Amazon has it for $4 Shipping and even if I packaged it with something else it doesn't qualify for free shit.
Which is pretty dumb.
I'll just hope Amazon restocks it soon.

But yeah, hype for Bloodborne too

So should I still get Dark Souls 1 or.

Well if you like the general style of dark souls 2 I would get the first one. All of the areas are designed better and most of them are more interesting than the second game's areas.

The first game's combat kinda seems worse but the enemies are designed better, especially the bosses. In general I would say dark 2 is a better game but dark 1 is a more interesting game.

So if you like dark souls get dark souls 1. Playing through souls games from newest to oldest is a weird experience though, cause you get to see how mechanics only get more confusing the more you go back. When I played demon's souls for example, I got super butthurt about not being able to roll diagonally.

That does sound weird.
Alright, I'll keep that in mind.
If worst comes to worst and I can't get a copy of Dark Souls 1 I should be able to check out those lore things.

Darkmoon Covenant...in the original Dark Souls. Have fun serving a complete twat. :3

A lot of those people put the hours on PgP (Player griefing Player) though.
The lag can be really atrocious at times. My very first invasion in DSII, I was literally backstabbed from across the room; it's what really happened, this isn't a comedic exaggeration - my character got pulled across the room to be on the receiving end of a backstab. What's worse is that it was a US player (probably with internet running on hamster wheels).
PvP can be fun, depending on how you want to approach it. Judging by your request of assurance by a fighting game player, I take it you are looking for 1x1 duels. There are covenants that specialize on that - the Brotherhood of Blood (it focuses both on invasion and dueling between its members) and the Dragon Remnants (they leave a sign for the player to call and challenge them).
If you have a friend, preferably in the same region, you can easily set up some duels and IMHO that's where the PvP experience shines. There's a item that lets you narrow down servers to make it easier to meet. The only issue is the new Soul Memory system where both players must have to be in a certain threshold of total obtained souls for the matchmaking to work.
I personally recommend the entrance to Cathedral of Blue for dueling, it's a square area large enough to move around but small enough to prevent one player to run off and go ham with spells, but if you want that, the immediate adjacent areas deliver. There is also a bonfire nearby.
The Dragon Remnants are the ideal covenant for this as their summon sign is of unlimited use. The Brotherhood of Blood duels are all done in a specific arena and you have to clear a area and have a item to access it...but the same applies to the Dragon Remnants. Both are tricky to access. Theoretically, you can join the BoB much earlier but it requires using a Cracked Red Eye Orb to invade a player and defeat it so you can earn a Token of Spite.
Alternatively, if you want unfair fights, join the Bell Keepers to be called to defend the area from players that enter it (area enemies will be on your side and you can even have a second player join you) OR if you want the reverse, just dawdle around the Belfry areas and get invaded.
Overall note, if you don't have people to duel with, I recommend disabling inter-regional play because getting jumped by people from across the world and die to a stupid ass lagstab is really obnoxious. I enjoy PvP when the players have similar stats and builds and it becomes a game of footsies and spacing, a little like a 3D Samurai Shodown where things can be decided in a few clean hits. It's also good when you're opponent isn't a dirtbag that never stops circling you in hopes of winning the backstab lottery.

Sorry if I overdid my exposition but I don't know how familiar you are with the game and I get the impression your decision of buying it is hanging on this matter.

I SHIP IT.
804.gif
I ship it like fedex Nashandra x Nito OTP

Last edited:
Everyone ready for Bloodborne this month?
Taking a break from DS II to prepare myself for it.

So, Bloodborne's out, anyone gone out on their Nightly Hunt YET?
Mine's installing and I'll play it later today.
Mayhaps we should decide on a searchword?
Searchwords are basically ways to narrow down who you want to co-op with, for example.
If you put in the Searchword "Panacea", you'll only co-op with other people with the searchword "Panacea"
So if we were to decide on a searchword, we'd be able to have co-op with each other.
If we can type in anything for it, I vote we use the searchword "WhensAnnie"

So, Bloodborne's out, anyone gone out on their Nightly Hunt YET?
Mine's installing and I'll play it later today.
Mayhaps we should decide on a searchword?
Searchwords are basically ways to narrow down who you want to co-op with, for example.
If you put in the Searchword "Panacea", you'll only co-op with other people with the searchword "Panacea"
So if we were to decide on a searchword, we'd be able to have co-op with each other.
If we can type in anything for it, I vote we use the searchword "WhensAnnie"

So its like the friendship ring from das2?

I suppose so, that's what people are saying it's like.
You also don't summon phantoms or anything like that, your hunter buddies are physically there.
So I'm curious to see how PvP or PvE (if there's any sunbro equivalents) works with that in mind.

More info on Bloodborne MP, including PVP.

EDIT: Because this forum can't support timestamped links for SOME REASON, relevant info is at 1 min 32 sec.

Probably because Sony bought the rights to it?

although, there is some talk about a PC version. I don't know what's for certain though.

Last edited:
So I'm getting Bloodborne and it's box sometime next week,
but my copy of Xrd came in today.
Why must fate hate me so?

(Also it may be a good idea to rename the thread to include Bloodborne if this is the way things are going)
(Also also Skullheart searchword sounds like a good idea)

Played up to the point of past the first two bosses, I like it, but I'm not liking how they handle co-op.
Wanna co-op? You need Insight.
What's insight? oh not much, just stuff you get from meeting people and beating bosses.
Just super fucking rare.
it's 1 insight to summon, but if you want to BE summoned, you wanna get a diff bell.
What's it cost?
10 Insight.

Also kinda peeved you can't level up until you at least encounter a boss.
If you're dumb like me and can't see a boss arena coming, you'll wander into a boss arena, die, and now you can level up!
...with 0 Blood Echoes.

Also kinda peeved you can't level up until you at least encounter a boss.
If you're dumb like me and can't see a boss arena coming, you'll wander into a boss arena, die, and now you can level up!
...with 0 Blood Echoes.

It's actually when you get Insight, which there is an item in the sewers for.
Insight also apparently becomes trivial when you get to the Chalice Dungeons.

Reactions: Kai
Gamespot and IGN you have failed me for the last fucking time.
If I known I could've done that I'd still have 8000 Blood Echoes.

But good, if it becomes trivial then that's very good.

Loving Bloodborne so far! Just beat the first boss last night - sort of regretting getting the whip/cane weapon, it's great for crowd control, but does not do very much to bosses...

Once you beat the first boss (Or get Insight, maybe), you can buy other weapons (starters included) from the Bath Messenger.
Also, don't buy the Sawspear because you can find once, if you've found that room that's above the sewers it's in a corpse hanging way above it.

Right now I'm kinda pouring strength into my stats to get the Kirkwall Hammer

So, maybe 4 hours ago I dropped the 500 bucks or so to buy the Box and the disc that goes in the box, waited for maybe an hour for installs, then played for a few hours. The Spoiler Beast is currently combining my face with the pavement (Or cobblestone, I suppose) and am taking a short break lest I die of a stress-induced heart attack. This game is great, made even better by the fact that, after the first two bosses, I know next to nothing.

Back