• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Souls Series and Bloodborne

Ooh, I usually don't even try the AI phantoms, clearly humanity has fallen short once again.

Since I'm playing through DkS I, I'll try using the Greatsword of Artorias more for maximum swag. But on the subject of DkS I, the Artorias of the Abyss DLC is tough, especially those one things that cast dark magic. The roll times are a bit tricky, but I can easily slay them when they laugh. Any recommendations on a good shield to use to approach them? I've been using the Grass Crest Shield, but that hasn't been doing me much good since the dark magic drains all my stamina and a good amount of health in one hit, even when I block.

Last edited:
Ooh, I usually don't even try the AI phantoms, clearly humanity has fallen short once again.
For the bosses it's a good idea in general to have any summon regardless of npc or not, this way you have a chance of the boss targeting them so you can get a breather, this was essential for me final being able to beat the boss. Also i completely missed the bonfire next to raime until after i beat him X.X

That guy is Whamu, don't tell me that he isn't.

On topic, I'm still having trouble with running Dark Souls II on my Macbook Pro.
I tried Bootcamp and it's too unwieldy, installing Wine the traditional way just didn't work. Apparently there's a very easy way to just directly download Wine but I'm not sure if that will work either, it seems too easy.
Well there's no harm in trying, I want those computer graphics.

Wait, that's still off topic. Whatever, fuck the po-po.

Thanks for the help @Gamesandgoodies and @Balder for your help, i managed to kill off those stupid DLC bosses. Not much of a payoff in terms of loot, but it's a moral victory. You guys are awesome :D

Reactions: Balder
no problem, and sir alonn's sword is pretty nice, also make sure to get the collectable soul as well since it gives you an awesome pyromancy.

NEW PYROMANCIES?
WHAT ARE THEY?

NEW PYROMANCIES?
WHAT ARE THEY?
one you get from killing all the idols and trading the soul to straid, one of them is found in a side room in the area where you see the second idol, and the third is found in a chest somewhere I forget where.

I said what not where.
What do the new fire spells do.

the nadia one, Outcry, is an area one that is both fire and dark magic it does butt tons of damage, the Dance of Fire sends a line of fire to go horizontally in front of you where the target is and the, Fire Snake is a long range one that sends flaming pillars from you to where the target it and has moderate homing abilities.

i managed to kill off those stupid DLC bosses.
Details, man! Give us details! The "sordidier", the better! :3

Dance of Fire sends a line of fire to go horizontally in front of you where the target is
tmw you realize they added a pyromancy for the Senator Armstrong RP builds. #FanserviceSouls

On the subject of fanservice, I was talking about how Dark Souls doesn't do any'a that pandering stuff, while forgetting they pretty much brought back the Father Mask ("the best fukin mask in the gaem!"). Kinda slow day doing Sunbro duty at Raime's so I ended up playing Fashion Souls while waiting....I should have invested my Twinkling in the Throne Defender set. It looks really cool with the Pharros Mask. Likewise, Raime's armor goes really well with King's or Drangleic's gauntlets and leggings. Why can't we buy Twinkling Titanite like before? T_T
I'd gladly cough 50K per piece. My hexer is "sitting" in about 4.500.000 souls...

Couple of sides note, two days ago, ran into a generous patron to fight Raime and, for starters, learned that a NG build can be summoned into NG+ or above (even ended up going against a NG++ one). Must be the SM system...
Secondly, I think I was helping a MMer*. I'm a gullible person, I like to think people are who they claim and their accomplishments achieved legitimately but something was not right. For assisting a player several times in taking down Raime, I was offered a couple of items, specifically the rings earned for clearing the game with no deaths and no bonfire rests. The player stated they were surplus recently earned and already had other builds but bearing in mind how long it took to beat Raime, the skill didn't seem one of someone who pulled such a feat...of course, he could have been having a bad day. What made me suspicious was when a party of three was assembled and he did something similar to the now-removed binoculars glitch. To add to the suspicion, the other player left once he saw that.
I just wanna sunbro in peace... *sigh*

*MMer (Mega Muler) - player using a hacked save file commonly known as "Mega Mule" which grants the player EVERY equippable (fully maxed, I believe) as well as maximum amounts of every consumable and material. Its legitimacy is still a hot topic in the community, some argue it's just a victimless crime to circumvent farming, others argue that you need to earn those things yourself.

Last edited:
Reactions: Denizen
Details, man! Give us details! The "sordidier", the better! :3
Still pretty fresh on my mind, actually! I ended up going for another hex build - I tried a 'glass cannon' style before, and that's actually how i got through my first playthrough, but I've settled on using the Crypt Blacksword with Resonant Weapon and GRS and Dark Orb backup (for now anyway).

I took on the Blue Smelter Demon first, I had a strong Havel-set summon pretty much stay on him for 3/4 of the fight until he died - I had pretty much used all of my range attacks and Whispers of Despair by that point anyway, so there wasn't too much left to do from close range damage. And after the loot, I.... fell out of the cave and off the ledge... um, intentionally. Because that feather takes too long to get back the bonfire.

I actually killed Sir Alonne on my first try with the newest build - my sunbro died on the way to fight him though, so I had to go it alone.
:PUN:
Anyway, I think it was due to a lighter equipment load that I was able to dodge a little easier and get the timing for his attacks down. The fight seemed to take a really long time, but it wasn't so bad.

I did find it curious that I had a more difficult time against these punks than the Ancient Dragon, but that might be the NG++ healthbars talking. But in any case, I'm glad that they've been put down, now just to wait for the 3rd DLC...

On the subject of fanservice, I was talking about how Dark Souls doesn't do any'a that pandering stuff, while forgetting they pretty much brought back the Father Mask ("the best fukin mask in the gaem!").

Couple of sides note, two days ago, ran into a generous patron to fight Raime and, for starters, learned that a NG build can be summoned into NG+ or above (even ended up going against a NG++ one). Must be the SM system...
well dark souls always had the silly little references, like in dark souls 1 paliden leeroy, it's just not it can reference itself and actually make sense.

Also are you sure they didn't just use a bonfire ascetic? I had that happen to me before when I was sunbroing. And are you the type of sunbro who helps gank invaders?

What do you mean no fanservice? What about the fucking sunbro statue that some how survived to the dark souls 2 timeline, which is even being shined on with a ray of light. The same statue was in ds1.

I actually killed Sir Alonne on my first try with the newest build - my sunbro died on the way to fight him though, so I had to go it alone.
Well, you're a better heir to the throne than me, then. I soloed Raime, but after about 15 tries against Alonne, caved in and brought the twinblade AI Phantom. (.__.)

well dark souls always had the silly little references, like in dark souls 1 paliden leeroy, it's just not it can reference itself and actually make sense.

Also are you sure they didn't just use a bonfire ascetic? I had that happen to me before when I was sunbroing. And are you the type of sunbro who helps gank invaders?
It's true. When iLoli mentioned Artorias making a comeback, I said DS has always been above that sort of fanservice but after putting some thought into it, the game does have it's share of fanservice and little nods, but is usually discreet about it.
And yes, the player was using ascetic. I helped him beat NG+ Raime and immediately went to fight him in NG++.

I'm very detached from the PvP side of things. My build and equipment are usually optimized for fashion, fun and PvE.
I don't think I ever fought a invader while sunbroing but, theoretically, I think I'd back away OR be the first to fight the invader (assuming the host backs off).
I admit I ganked a LOT during my Bellbro days. I hate that covenant (both as a member and enemy). :/

I don't think I ever fought a invader while sunbroing but, theoretically, I think I'd back away OR be the first to fight the invader (assuming the host backs off).
I admit I ganked a LOT during my Bellbro days. I hate that covenant (both as a member and enemy). :/
okay good cause as a frequent invader I hate it when hosts summon others to help gank. and when i was a sunbro i never helped the host fight the invader or i fought them first.

Also I love being in the bellbro covenant for lots of reasons. It's best when being the second invader who comes in to stop the host from running away and chugging. though if it's ever too cruel i do use the "i'm sorry" wooden thingy. also i tend to fashion souls also, pretty much running the flower skirt on most all of my builds.

I don't know about you guys, but I have really been trying to enjoy ds2, but I cant. It made so many improvements but something just does not click with me and I don't know why.

I don't know about you guys, but I have really been trying to enjoy ds2, but I cant. It made so many improvements but something just does not click with me and I don't know why.
can't say what's wrong with your personal experince since i personally had much more fun with dark souls 2 than i did with dark souls, i think a big reason for this was online, though i did my best to completely avoid that option in dark souls 1 by staying hallowed the whole. I think a big change that made me like dark souls 2 more was how hallowing out was actually a bad thing and didn't help in anyway.

Oh yeah, I still need all the Archtree woodcarving locations in DkS I. But are they only in the DLC in DkS II?

Oh yeah, I still need all the Archtree woodcarving locations in DkS I. But are they only in the DLC in DkS II?
no you get them from the npc guy in iron keep pre-dlc or anything they're just available to buy from him.

Screen shot 2014-09-11 at 12.22.09 AM.png

no you get them from the npc guy in iron keep pre-dlc or anything they're just available to buy from him.

Awesome, I was trying to get to Iron Keep anyway, and I love those things, so I'm glad I can pick them up there.

Awesome, I was trying to get to Iron Keep anyway, and I love those things, so I'm glad I can pick them up there.
yea also the merchant is just so cheerful and lovely to talk to. the way he says things is funny and i like it.

What's his name? Is he like the merchant under the bridge in DkS I?

bellbro covenant
d62.gif

My experience wasn't all that good. One, I feel bad about hassling the poor folks just trying to make it past that place; two, I got tired of all the trolls, Havelyns and all those thirteen-in-a-dozen builds; three, I don't even have "don't get jumped by my own" privilege, wtf?

*Dark Souls: in Summary*
I still think that theory about Priscilla is asinine...
The bit with Kaathe always cracks me up though.

What's his name? Is he like the merchant under the bridge in DkS I?
Magerold of Lanafir. And yes, with his chirpy, friendly disposition, he's very much like Domhnall of Zena. But there's more to Magerold though...some even say he's Jester Thomas.

By the by, he's the one who sells the sets for Raime and Alonne so don't be surprised if Maughlin does not have them in stock.

Side note, because I usually play at night with the sound on the low side, I never got to fully appreciate the OST for the DLC chapters.
Listening to them at the moment, I'm going all "how the heck was I missing out on this?"

Awesome, I loved Domhnall of Zena. He was a top tier bro.

Sir Alonne's OST is amazing, sometimes i would phantom to help others just to hear it. I also put a "praise the sun" sign down by the right window and would try to point them to it so I could get more rates on it >.>

Oh no, I'm looking at other weapons and I just can't make a decision now.
You know what, who cares? I can use whatever I want 'cause this is Dark Souls!

Awesome, I loved Domhnall of Zena. He was a top tier bro.
his location at firelink wasn't the best though

and back on the best friends playthrough, i just remembered the worst merchant location in DS1.

its Quelana. everytime you need to see her, you gotta deal with blighttown swamps and those barbarians AND you need to exhaust the mosquito respawns.

his location at firelink wasn't the best though

and back on the best friends playthrough, i just remembered the worst merchant location in DS1.

its Quelana. everytime you need to see her, you gotta deal with blighttown swamps and those barbarians AND you need to exhaust the mosquito respawns.
I never ran into her and had to look her up to see who she is.

Finally managed to pull through enough Raime fights to get me a Sun Sword and while figuring what to do, finally I caved in and started asceting the crap out of Tower of Prayer in order to farm Twinkling Titanite and Petrified Dragon Bones. I wish there was a more "legitimate" way to do it, but I just don't have the patience to go through the chore of farming Amana and Lair of the Imperfects.
That said, sure feels good to have almost everything maxed! :3

Anyway, while looking around the Wikidot and YouTube for things that I may have missed (Helix Halberd, Agdayne's stuff and the Steel Set), I stumbled upon some interesting stuff.

http://darksouls2.wikidot.com/unused-content - this list gave away the Queens' names before the DLC came out.

A lore discussion video about Nashandra:

And a interesting theory I read regarding the Sunken King and The Rotten. Basically:
The Sunken King is The Rotten, his corpse fused with others. Also possible his body is the one on The Rotten's shoulder as it seems to be the one controlling the whole body.
The statues are of Elana, the Squalid Queen (meaning he's lamenting the loss of his queen).
Elana poisoned Sinh. (Personal note: after the lore video, I feel bad about killing Sinh. Despite everything, he was a innocent party in all this. I mean, if he truly were a violent, raging dragon there wouldn't be two bricks standing and yet, the whole city remains.)
The Gutter may have been constructed by refugees of Shulva's poison disaster.
By building his kingdom underground, the Sunken King drove the rats away and thus started the beef with them.

And a interesting theory I read regarding the Sunken King and The Rotten. Basically:
The Sunken King is The Rotten, his corpse fused with others. Also possible his body is the one on The Rotten's shoulder as it seems to be the one controlling the whole body.
The statues are of Elana, the Squalid Queen (meaning he's lamenting the loss of his queen).
Elana poisoned Sinh. (Personal note: after the lore video, I feel bad about killing Sinh. Despite everything, he was a innocent party in all this. I mean, if he truly were a violent, raging dragon there wouldn't be two bricks standing and yet, the whole city remains.)
The Gutter may have been constructed by refugees of Shulva's poison disaster.
By building his kingdom underground, the Sunken King drove the rats away and thus started the beef with them.

o that's really cool, an odd thing i noticed while working on a new character is the statue in the prowling magus bossfight has a rag in her left hand similar to the chime you get from nadalia's boss soul.

Can we all come to terms that burning the windmill mechanic in DS2 is complete bs

Reactions: iLoli
Can we all come to terms that burning the windmill mechanic in DS2 is complete bs
It was pretty silly but not that bad considering there's a bonfire right there you can light a torch for.

It was pretty silly but not that bad considering there's a bonfire right there you can light a torch for.
The problem with that is they introduce a new game mechanic no one has to use up until that point and have no hints to let you know you need to burn the windmill to beat the boss. Not too mention odd placement too. It seemed unnecasry to force that situation on the player, but I digress.

The problem with that is they introduce a new game mechanic no one has to use up until that point and have no hints to let you know you need to burn the windmill to beat the boss. Not too mention odd placement too. It seemed unnecasry to force that situation on the player, but I digress.
it's silly but it definitely didn't feel like the first time dark souls did something like that.

Half an hour to spend? Why not Old Iron King DLC lore videos? :3

I'm probably the only one who thinks Mytha was wed to the Old Iron King's son and not the King himself. Said son, is the prince in love with a princess from the rival kingdom. Because the Old Iron King was a small time lord who ganked the shit out of everyone with Sir Alonne established his position by means of war, I'm inclined to think he skipped the whole princedom thing and went straight for king.
Also, IIRC, there was mention of him banishing Mytha because of her nasty ass poison bs and leaving shed skins all over the couch.
Dunno...also have to concede there's a lot of merit to the prince being the Old Iron King as well.

Another interesting theory I read: the Lost Sinner is the Princess of Venn. Besides the proximity and connections between Belfry Luna and Sinner's Rise, some people have noticed that there are several architectural common points between the Iron Keep and Sinner's Rise.
My two cents: I think this validates the Prince being the King's son because the Old Iron King was the one locking up Undeads and maybe the Princess wanted to light the First Flame to be with the Prince but it somehow led to his death - that could explain the King locking her in the deepest part of the Bastille as well as her desire to punish herself.

fe2.gif

(The stop motion kinda creeps me out though.)