• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Souls Series and Bloodborne

... yes.

it's from a kamen rider show called Wizard, and at one point the main character uses a ring to make himself buff.

Last edited:
I find it annoying that FromSoftware apparently gave up on Ultra Greatswords completely and just said "Ah screw it, lets make them look like turds from now on". I will still try them out but… meh.

Kung-Fu run could be real though.

I read this thing about muscles and can only remember of one character:

Furisode Girl Fiona

RmjPsdX.jpg

(next img is spoilered for potential nsfw)

Just finished the DLC, I have one Boss-fight left but from what I heard it's just a bland reuse of the first boss in the new area -.-

The fight against the Ivory King was really good though, definitely worth it! I liked the DLC overall, really cool architecture and weather, and you have more of an overall story compared to the other ones.

But don’t expect anything amazing out of the secret when you have all three crowns, just saying, you will be disappointed.

so here's what i heard about all 3 DLCs

When Manus was beaten by the Chosen Undead, he split into 4 waifus.

so here's what i heard about all 3 DLCs

When Manus was beaten by the Chosen Undead, he split into 4 waifus.

You heard right :D

And I think the waifu from the latest DLC is actually the daughter of Artorias and Princess Dusk.

no working laptop means no third dlc for a while which super sucks for me X.X
i'm intreseted in what the reuse boss is.

But don't expect anything amazing out of the secret when you have all three crowns, just saying, you will be disappointed.
Quoted for emphasis. Yeah, it's REALLY underwhelming. -_-"

And I think the waifu from the latest DLC is actually the daughter of Artorias and Princess Dusk.
Nah. At some point, she's explicitly referred to as a "Child of Dark" and we all know what that means by now.
Besides, it was the Chosen Undead who saved Dusk so why would she put out for Artorias? :P
And shipping Arty with anyone but Ciaran? Fo' shame! Shame on thee!

Anywho, since we're on the subject of confusions, I recently read something interesting about the Throne Watcher. Apparently, the Watcher might be a lady. According to moonspeakers, all of the Watcher's gear description in the Japanese version uses gender neutral language. To make things more interesting, the English version refers to the Watcher as a man while the German version refers to the Watcher as a woman. I personally don't think that the Japanese text makes a definitive argument especially knowing that the Japanese looooove the gender-ambiguous character trope (the majority of Paku Romi's curriculum). I wouldn't be surprised if the disparity between localizations was done on purpose to keep the confusion.
throne-watcher.jpg

EDIT: played a bit of the DLC. Like OIK, it's almost easy provided you respect the game and tread careful and attentively. The enemies are free (FRAAAAYYYYYY!!) to poison. The graphics are really nice, namely the effect of snow clinging to the player character; I can see why this took some extra time to be released.
So far, only died once while navigating the area (against a sneaky AI invader) but then I got to the first boss. This is Sanctuary Guardian on magic steroids. T_T

Last edited:
Oh yeah, so about the recent patch or something with the UGS nerf. How were they nerfed? And does said nerf make them really bad for PvP? Because a lot of my friends have been complaining about the UGS nerf.

Awwww Yeaaaah, Dark Souls II works just fine on this little computer of mine. Sometimes when I'm in large areas and there's lots of stuff going on I can hear her working pretty hard, but not once has the game crashed or stuttered. This is awesome, I'm enjoying the game so much more on my laptop. Although I expected to be invaded more.

Awwww Yeaaaah, Dark Souls II works just fine on this little computer of mine. Sometimes when I'm in large areas and there's lots of stuff going on I can hear her working pretty hard, but not once has the game crashed or stuttered. This is awesome, I'm enjoying the game so much more on my laptop. Although I expected to be invaded more.
yea invasions don't happen a lot except for in certain areas, though in ng+ there's a fair amount more of invasions.

That's boring, I want people to try and murder me.

That's boring, I want people to try and murder me.
there are a couple relaly good places for that, also you could work on being one of those poeple, i tend to have fun invading others.

I don't challenge others, but I'll accept any challenge. That's why I don't like invading, but I love being invaded.
It's super exciting, tell me these places where invasions are common. I've heard that when it comes to playing online that it doesn't matter what your Soul Level is, all that matters is your Soul Memory. Even so I would think that around a certain Soul Level online play becomes more frequent. I'm guessing it's around SL 150, tell me if I'm right? I've got one more question, can an invader in true New Game+ invade a host in an area where an ascetic was used, or does the bonfire level of an area not matter at all?
misc_023.png

Last edited:
lucky for you theres a ring that makes you more likely to be invaded.
The Delicate String, that thing is awesome.

Oh yeah, so about the recent patch or something with the UGS nerf. How were they nerfed? And does said nerf make them really bad for PvP? Because a lot of my friends have been complaining about the UGS nerf.
Haven't heard of it. I think it was already established that UGS are a relatively poor choice for PVP. (I read katanas are the best.)
Anyway, here's the latest patch notes:
Version 1.08
Fixed the issue where the soul of Nadalia cannot be acquired at the Brume Tower, after defeating the Fume Knight (If the Fume Knight is already defeated and all the Souls of Nadalia are in possession, it is automatically acquired.)
A new exchange weapon is added to the shop line up after defeating the Smelter Demon at the Brume Tower
Fixed the issue where the tower mechanism could not be re-triggered if the player dies after triggering it by using the Scorching Iron Scepter at the Brume Tower.
Fixed the issue where the NPC the user can summon to battle against Sinh, the Slumbering Dragon (Shulva, Sanctum City) stops moving.
Addressed the issue whereby users were unable to proceed when the enemies stop appearing at the entrance of Drangleic Castle
Fixed the issue where the Ancient Dragon disappears when returning to the user’s own world after being summoned to co-op play at the Dragon Shrine
Fixed the issue where the player becomes an enemy of the Ancient Dragon when returning to their own world after being summoned during the battle with the Ancient Dragon at the Dragon Shrine
Fixed the issue where the player stops moving or being hit by attacks after using “Darkstorm” at the Shrine of Amana against Amana Priestess
Fixed the issue whereby the elevator stops working in Drangleic Castle during online play
Fixed the issue in online play where the game stops during the battle against “The Imperfect” in Shulva, Sanctum City if the host leaves.
Fixed the issue in online play where parrying the enemy attack becomes impossible.
Fixed the issue in online play where the player stays collapsed without damage when attacked by the enemy from behind.
Fixed the issue in online play where the spell triggering time used by other players don't synchronize.
Fixed the issue in online play where the wet conditions don't match.
Fixed the issue where the player can't move by summoning or invading at the connection area between Drangleic Castle and Shrine of Amana.
Fixed the issue where the player can't move by summoning or invading at the connection area between Huntsman's Copse and Harvest Valley.
Fixed the issue where there is no hit judgment at the end of the strong attack 1st swing of the two-handed weapon, “Great Scythe”.
Fixed the issue whereby player's status for certain attributes went up when they equipped items that change those status
Fixed the issue where the character's hair becomes invisible when wearing the armor, “Penal Straightjacket”.
Fixed the issue where there is no difference in the stamina consummation amounts between one-handed and two-handed when guarding the enemy's attack with the weapon, “Shield Crossbow”.
Fixed the issue where the motion becomes one-handed dash attack when the player triggers the two-handed dash attack from the back step with “Bandit Greataxe”, “Lion Greataxe”, “Gyrm Greataxe”, “Black Dragon Greataxe”.
Fixed the issue where the weapon, “Bewitched Alonne Sword” isn't in the line up from the beginning when playing 2nd time through and beyond.
Fixed the issue where the cross is displayed divided when equipped with the armor “Prisoner's Tatters”.
Fixed the issue where the rolling attack becomes the dash attack if the R1 and X buttons are pressed at the same time immediately after rolling.

Calibrations 1.11
Adjusted down the attack power correction value when the transformation enforcement to mundane is performed using the weapons, “Dagger”, “Parrying Dagger”, “Bandit's Knife”, “Shadow Dagger”, “Thief Dagger”, “Broken Thief Sword”, “Manikin Knife”, “Royal Dirk”, “Mytha's Bent Blade”, “Black Flamestone Dagger”, and “Blue Dagger”.
Adjusted down the amount of time a parry is accepted when Small or Normal Shields are held two-handed.
Additional explosion effect for the two-sword both-handed strong attack of the weapon “Smelter Sword”.
Fixed abnormal amounts of damage being caused by certain weapons.

Anywho, finally cleared most of Eleum Loyce (just missing the challenge area).
Like OIK, the difficulty feels a little unbalanced. It starts very manageable and it is for the most part but the difficulty really spikes in a few select areas.
The Ivory King's fight has a interesting idea where you basically have to hold back a onslaught of enemies and defeat a certain number of enemies until he appears. And by the by, his appearance is ultimate badassery. Overall, he's pretty cool, almost flamboyant with Throne Watcher backflips and Pursuer jump slashes. Sadly, the gauntlet is too overwhelming and kinda taints what would be a really fun duel. I beat him at first try because I took the AI phantoms to help me deal with the mob.
Also, there's a kind of annoying farming process you need to got through to get Ivory King's armor as well as the Loyce set - you need 50 Loyce souls which are dropped by the Charred Loyce Knights, the mob that only spawns in the Ivory King's chamber. The rewards are the full Loyce set (offered by Alsanna), Alsanna's soul and the Ivory King's armor is added to Maughlin's inventory.

Now, for the lore, while there isn't a large connection to the history of Drangleic, it is pretty interesting. The Ivory King was awesome. He's a leader who's in the front lines. Burnt Ivory King? More like Based Ivory King.
Now what is possibly the biggest surprise, is The Old Chaos. People familiar with Lordran might know what that means.
Waifu Alsanna is probably the most interesting part. Like her sisters, she is a child of Dark, a fragment of Manus. She openly states it and talks more about her origins than any other child of Dark-related item description hints at. I think the twist is remarkably clever. You'd think that like her sisters, she'd want to mess everything up but she is quiet, borderline submissive to the Ivory King and this is because the emotion that she embodies is Fear. She says it herself - "I am a reincarnation of my Father's fears."
The children of Dark embody the base emotions of Man.
Nashandra - Desire
Elana - Wrath
Nadalia - Solitude
Alsanna - Fear

10/10 fanservice (other games give you boobies, Dark Souls gives you stuff to read and think about)

Loved the Ivory King DLC, definitely my favorite DS2 DLC. The last fight for the Ivory Crown is loads of fun.... if you do it right, that is. I hope you paid attention where the ice was blocking your path before!

I haven't played DaS 2 yet because I heard it wasn't super good, I'm thinking I'll get Bloodborne first which looks really cool.
Are we gonna talk about Bloodborne/Des in this thread or is it specifically Dark Souls only?

I haven't played DaS 2 yet because I heard it wasn't super good, I'm thinking I'll get Bloodborne first which looks really cool.
Are we gonna talk about Bloodborne/Des in this thread or is it specifically Dark Souls only?
dark souls 2 is still really amazing. if dark souls is a 9.5 dark souls 2 is like a 9.25, so ofcourse poeple will say it's complete garbage cause sense. dark souls 2 is an amazing game but because some things are slightly different than the also amazing dark souls poeple will say it's bad when it really isn't.

also imagine a thread would be made for bloodborne since that's in a radically different world than the DaS DeS world.

Reactions: Denizen
1. The game is much easier this time around. I've only beaten the game once on the PS3 and I never finished my second attempt but I feel like a much better player this time. I know where all the items are, I know how to complete every optional quest line, I know how every boss behaves, and overall the game is no longer intimidating. This first file will definitely be my favorite, I'm going to try and complete it as much as possible.

2. I became good at parrying all of a sudden. Before it was something I could only do with the Parrying Dagger and certain rapiers but this time around I can do it with shields, greatswords, and even my bare fist. Cool story, after defeating The Last Giant I felt tough so I immediately took on the Pursuer. After dying twice I decided to do something really risky, but it payed off. I parried his initial charge slash which left him stunned within the path of a ballista. I rushed over to said weapon and nailed him with a direct hit which nearly killed him in one shot. That was the coolest thing I've done in the game so far. I think that playing Skullgirls has improved my reaction time and that translated into DSII.

3. I haven't used any outside help or cheap tactics in this play through at all. I've only used NPC summons, otherwise I've taken on every boss on my own, and I've always done it head on. I used to deal with large enemies by shooting arrows through small openings they can't get through, or by summoning help to distract them for me. Not anymore, my Claymore solves all of my problems.
TL;DR: This time around playing DSII feels like a challenge rather than a problem. I might have more to say but right now I feel like I'm over-inflating my own ego, instead check out this funny GIF from KYM.
ba8.gif

The game goes significantly smoother once we're familiar with things (hence all the nasty surprises in NG+) but, overall, PvE in DS is manageable, provided we respect the game, pay attention and don't go swords blazing into the middle of fights. That said, it still has some parts where it's obvious the game wants you dead, attention and preparation be damned.

Anywho, after 4 long sessions of Sunbro duty at the Grand Cathedral, I finally got those bleepin' 50 Loyce Souls. Gwynevere's rack! Those things are a handful to farm. Doesn't help that the knights drop their own set and now I'm sitting on seven complete Charred Loyce Knight sets (including sword and shield) among even more assorted surplus.
Which brings me to an actual point: in the Ivory King DLC, enemies are basically soul piñatas. Your SM is going to sky rocket in this area alone. I got 2,500,000+ souls just from playing this area.

Random observations:
- Waifu Alsanna talks about meeting more of her sisters but they're all supposedly dead by now (with CIK being the last chapter added). More DLC chapters coming?
- Ivory King set looks really badass and just reinforces my wish for sets having "shining armor" and "decrepit" versions. The game already does this with some sets (Mastodon, Ironclad and Loyce) but I'd love to Fashion Souls with polished versions of the Ivory King, Raime, Imperious, etc. sets.
- Speaking of Fashion Souls, also wish there was a option to color edit equipment pieces so to coordinate pieces. Maybe assign that to a NPC like a blacksmith or a seamstress that could do it for a cost and the player chooses from a palette chart of tasteful options.

While I'm here: anyone has a spare Monastery Headcloth? Totally not making a Masked Lumen build. :3

- Speaking of Fashion Souls, also wish there was a option to color edit equipment pieces so to coordinate pieces. Maybe assign that to a NPC like a blacksmith or a seamstress that could do it for a cost and the player chooses from a palette chart of tasteful options.
Same here, I've always wanted to combine the Desert Sorceress Hood with Alva's Armor, but they don't quite match. On an unrelated note I've been researching some Dark Souls Lore and I've learned that Knight Artorias is the biggest lone wolf bad-ass motherfucker who ever walked this side of the abyss. I want an Old Wolf Ring.

Whats the go-to strength wepon in ds2 without dlc, other then the great sword.

Whats the go-to strength weapon in ds2 without dlc, other then the great sword.
Get your hands on any hammer you can, they kick ass in this game.

Reactions: Jimbob
thanks

Whats the go-to strength wepon in ds2 without dlc, other then the great sword.

reinforced club from the merchant in the undead burg. It got me through the entirety of most the game until I made a poor decision and changed it to smough's hammer which is super cool and all except you will never be able to block with it.

I'm a dingus who can't read. The reinforced club isn't as good in 2 but the basic mace can get you through pretty much the entire game in this too. I think strength might have better options in dark souls 2.

You could get the dragon bone crusher if you've got the dlc or even the regular caestus. But yeah theres a ton of big dumb swords for every kind of strength build.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jimbob
Same here, I've always wanted to combine the Desert Sorceress Hood with Alva's Armor, but they don't quite match.
DS has really good armor designs and it lets you rock practically every NPC get up there is, with the added bonus of being able to mix and match pieces...but actually getting good combinations of gear is probably the hardest part in the game. :3
Meanwhile, Dragon's Dogma has kinda unremarkable equipment but it's so swag friendly you can burn hours playing Dragon's Catwalk.

Whats the go-to strength weapon in ds2 without dlc, other then the great sword.
Weighing 3.0 and with A scaling in both STR and DEX, the Sun Sword (Heirs of Sun rank 2 reward) is one of the best weapons for a quality build.
That said, the weapon that got me through most of the game (before the DLC chapters came) was the Claymore.
Currently, I'm rocking the Red Iron Twinblade, which is really good for it's minimal requirements.
Finalized build ambition is using the King's BFS, play with it for a few minutes, realize it's completely unviable and drop it. (.__.)

Funny you mention that as I've finally cleared the entirety of the CIK chapter and while tying some loose ends before going into NG+, I went on a adventure with piggu friend to acquire the Pickaxe. Seems like a stupid novelty thing but it has a A STR scaling and packs quite the punch. This toy is for keeps.

Reactions: Jimbob and Denizen
Seems like a stupid novelty thing but it has a A STR scaling and packs quite the punch. This toy is for keeps.
Also it's classified as a Great Hammer, but all of it's damage is thrust based.
That's different and very useful.

- Waifu Alsanna talks about meeting more of her sisters but they're all supposedly dead by now (with CIK being the last chapter added). More DLC chapters coming?
It is kind of interesting how these "Daughters of Manus" are totally a thing now.

Has the lost crowns been very successful for From? If so I'd expect more DLCs.

Warning, too much talking ahead.

I've slain the Four Old Ones and I'm about to begin my journey through Drangleic Castle. I'm strong enough to wield the Drangleic Sword so I've abandoned my Claymore in favor of it. I think this sword gets way too much hate.
I always hear complaints that it's too short, too heavy, and too difficult to use. I think the real problem is everyone's dependence on a shield. If you grip the sword with both hands the way it was meant to be used then it begins to show its true colors. It also solves the weight problem by removing your shield.

It's fast and it consumes less stamina than other greatswords. It scales well with Dexterity and its swings combo into each other seamlessly. It's flashy move set is difficult to parry and can easily stun lock an opponent.
Yes it's short but I prefer a shorter sword because I like to get up close and personal anyway, plus it just looks cool. Personally I think that its only major drawback is that it upgrades with Twinkling Titanite, which is tough to find.

It is kind of interesting how these "Daughters of Manus" are totally a thing now.
In before Shanalotte is the last daughter - the augur of deception.

Warning, too much talking ahead.
>too much talking
>2 paragraphs
Weak wall-of-text game, brah. :3

If I may pry, what's your current Soul Level? Words kinda hint at a relatively low SL...

Anywho, with CIK completed, I finally stepped into NG+ with my melee build. It's going smoothly; the biggest highlight was the Fashion Souls epiphany I received. Was lucky to get a Heide Knight Chainmail right on the first Heide Knight and that thing coupled with Creighton's Steel Mask, Dark Gauntlets, Dark Leggings and a Butcher's Blade thrown in for good measure looks really badass.

Anywho, here's a interesting video about the lore nuances that stayed with the Japanese text.

If I may pry, what's your current Soul Level? Words kinda hint at a relatively low SL...
I'm SL 114, I don't know if you consider that low but I have an explanation for why I wasn't able to use the sword until this late in the game. My personal build will max out around SL 173 and keep each one of my stats between twenty and thirty. My goal is to fight using a Dexterity Greatsword alongside Pyromancy without a shield. With this in mind I've been training Dexterity, Strength, Faith, and Intelligence almost equally. That's why it's taken this long to get my stats high enough for the Drangleic Sword.

Reactions: Balder
When I read people plowing through NG at SL200 or above, I'd say that's pretty low. I mostly play the game for the PvE experience so I tend to place a self-imposed SL per run. That said, I finally caved in and decided to finalize at SL175. Ended up adding 10 levels in my NG build (70 - 80) before beginning journey 2.

Yeah, fire damage requires both INT and FTH IIRC. I do know it fire damage soft caps at SL60 of the combined levels of INT and FTH (like 10 INT + 50 FTH, 30/30 each and whichever combinations).
If you're making a balanced build, you can roll with the Majestic Greatsword and the Ruler's Sword as those require a sizable investment across all stats.

Personally, I'm aiming for a tank build because I like those stupidly impractical UGSs. After that, I'm going to use a Soul Vessel and try a DEX/FTH build - Twinblade, Dragonslayer Spear, miracles, the works.

most of the times i clear the game i'm at around level 130 or so you don't need to be much more to beat it. maybe a bit more for the dlcs but otherwise not really. after like lv 120 or so its much more important to have a +10 weapon