• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Splatoon

You people realize that I'm not actually affected right?
Because Scythana actually had the potential for interesting gameplay mechanics that would've in some way changed the game she's in.
And the squid idols are just
squid idols.
They serve no function other than to be cute.

says the guy with the Scythana avatar.
M4038.jpg

I get why people like the pop idol squids, but I absolutely hate them.

I know it's supposed to be in the squid language, but their singing sounds like poorly done K.K. Slider Nightcore... but somehow way worse.

Reactions: TheMightyBox
Personally I don't see why people are getting so uppity on the Squid Sisters (not just here but elsewhere too). They serve their purpose, to fill up a game with memorable characters that would normally have very little to no memorable characters, that and have an actual news reporters than just text news flashes Al-a Mario Sunshine or Pokemon. As well to give a world we are being introduced to to have more depth.

Splatoon apparently has pretty decent worldbuilding overall from what I've heard yet avoided because spoilers perro. Kind of impressive for a game that started out as a block shooting paint everywhere.

You people realize that I'm not actually affected right?
Because Scythana actually had the potential for interesting gameplay mechanics that would've in some way changed the game she's in.
And the squid idols are just
squid idols.
They serve no function other than to be cute.

Nononono.

Shhhhh.

It's okay my dear baby. ilu

it could be worse
they could just waitresses

And besides, the Squid Sisters ARE more than just idols.

They're also secret agents.

I'm not a huge fan of passives assigned to apparel, especially since some of these passives actually look pretty strong.

Haunt and Tenacity in particular seem like they could be an issue, but I'll reserve judgement for the full game.

Also, I am so glad that the Octoling Set is unlockable apparel; those goggles are the most evil looking thing.

I'm still internally debating if this is a "Good enough to get at launch even with no preoder incentive" game, especially given how much stuff is getting added LATER.

Though speaking of Apparel I'm kinda the School Uniform from the Amiibo won't be the only school thing you can wear.

I'm still internally debating if this is a "Good enough to get at launch even with no preoder incentive" game, especially given how much stuff is getting added LATER.
This looks like an evergreen title so I doubt you'd save money by waiting. If anything you'd just end up with less playtime/experience. That said, priorities do exist so saving or spending the money on other things is just fine.

But concerning incentives...

Getting at launch: You get nothing for waiting. Nintendo is really pushing the game so price probably ain't going down for a while.
Pre-order incentives: if you need a pre-order incentive to get the game you're probably not interested enough

I'm not a huge fan of passives assigned to apparel, especially since some of these passives actually look pretty strong.

Haunt and Tenacity in particular seem like they could be an issue, but I'll reserve judgement for the full game.

Also, I am so glad that the Octoling Set is unlockable apparel; those goggles are the most evil looking thing.
Haunt could easily be one of the worst passives on that list depending on the duration. If it's only like 5-10 seconds then it doesn't tell your team much more than they already knew. It's also worth noting that you get a lot of vision in this game just by paying attention to the map and looking at where your turf is getting painted over.
Tenacity looks ridiculous though. I can imagine a lot of strategies involving kamikaze attacks to proc that thing.

I have a weird feeling that tenacity isn't equippable, but something you get automatically if you have a DC'd member? Unless it triggers while your allies are dead or something, in which case, dang that is crazy for like solo carrying games.

I dont think tenacity completely fills the special gauge. If anything it probably just steadily increases (constant rate) special regardless of how many of your team is down.

it's more fun to imagine those as all different species that are just in a band and that's their album cover

who's to say it isn't happening concurrently, just in a different part of the world

Squids take over Isle Delfino > Super Mario Sunshine > Adult Timeline > Squids return > The hero fails to return > The Shine gods flood the earth to get rid of them > Considering the enemy is squids it's a bit obvious in retrospect > Squids rule earth on remaining oil rigs and factory roofs.

Why am I such a fan of the idea that this game's timeline is somehow related to everything?

Well, it was nice of Nintendo to give us an extra hour after the server time-out earlier.

I had lots of fun. Also, my favorite ad song for it has an extended version.

Wait, they extended the demo by an hour? Dang it, I turned off the Wii U once 3:55 rolled around and I couldn't connect.

Then again my sister was waiting the entire time for the demo to connect her to people and it never did. The most she got to do was play the tutorial and that little squid jumping game.

Advanced Roller Tech

Huh, I'll definitely keep that in mind when I get the game. That's actually really neat. It makes sense, a roller's hitbox should be on the ground after all.

Huh, I'll definitely keep that in mind when I get the game. That's actually really neat. It makes sense, a roller's hitbox should be on the ground after all.
If they seem mildly competent they have a lot of time to slam the roller on your face when you run up and jump on them repeatedly so I wouldn't actually use the strategy in the gif unless you just want to disrespect someone. Could still be useful but you're much safer backing away from a roller than jumping all over them.

Last edited: