• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Beowulf SPOILERS - Beowulf Story Mode and Other Lore

Thanks for this @Night Phyre, I'm picking up what you're throwing down!

My attempt:
1. True Hollywood Story Theme: makes me think we'll get a Squigly/Big Band style intro, perhaps just flashbacks, maybe with voice over or maybe it will be an actual celebrity piece akin to the newsreel in Parasoul's story mode.
2. You think I ain't worth a dollar, but I feel like a Millionaire: Beowulf is living the highlife but is without purpose.
3. Sharpen the Blades: He get's back in shape with a new found drive to beat the Skullgirl.
4. Perverse Nurse: He fights Valentine I guess. This is pretty standard, almost everyone goes after her, DLC characters included.
5. Orgazmo Theme: This is pretty forward... which makes me think I'm missing something. Mostly why so early in the story mode? Makes sense for the ending or when he finds his purpose again, but why smack in the middle? He nails Parasoul, that's my only guess.
6. Who am I?: Wow this is getting harder to even speculate on... Maybe he fights his doppelganger or maybe he learns something about his past/origin. (I feel the second is unlikely because I was under the impression that Alex didn't go too lore heavy for Beowulf.) Either are a perfect time for a certain character to make an appearance:
7. Double Helix: Double.
8. One is the Loneliest Number: He loses his teammate? Whoever that may be? I'm starting to wonder if this story mode will make me sad. Or he beat Double and now he's the only Beowulf left. "There can be only one!!!!"
9. You're not Alone: Makes me think he's going for his showdown with Marie, accompanied by somebody?
10. Knocking on Heaven's Door: Ending 1- Beowulf dies? And he is remembered a great timeless hero, with giant monument in his honor. Women cry.
11. Ain't no Mountain High Enough: Ending 2- Beowulf stands as the still undefeated champion. He's found purpose, a life, a love and is ready for the sequel.
12. Rock n' Roll Gangsta: Ending 3- Beowulf talks Cerebella out of the mafia.

Really fun and clever challenge! Really enjoyed it.

Last edited:
Val wanting to "examine" Beowulf. to test him for drugs? oh my *blushes at the thought of the drawings*

*Val Level 3 Super'd Beowulf*
*Cue a different camera angle, anywhere is fine.*
"Let me get a few sample of your genetics, and before I do, I have learnt a long time ago that the best genes comes from the most sensitive part of the human body. Don't get your hopes up."
*Put whatever Val will do to Beowulf here.*

Thanks for this @Night Phyre, I'm picking up what you're throwing down!

My attempt:
1. True Hollywood Story Theme: makes me think we'll get a Squigly/Big Band style intro, perhaps just flashbacks, maybe with voice over or maybe it will be an actual celebrity piece akin to the newsreel in Parasoul's story mode.
2. You think I ain't worth a dollar, but I feel like a Millionaire: Beowulf is living the highlife but is without purpose.
3. Sharpen the Blades: He get's back in shape with a new found drive to beat the Skullgirl.
4. Perverse Nurse: He fights Valentine I guess. This is pretty standard, almost everyone goes after her, DLC characters included.
5. Orgazmo Theme: This is pretty forward... which makes me think I'm missing something. Mostly why so early in the story mode? Makes sense for the ending or when he fins his purpose again, but why smack in the middle? He nails Parasoul, that's my only guess.
6. Who am I?: Wow this is getting harder to even speculate on... Maybe he fights his doppelganger or maybe he learns something about his past/origin. (I feel the second is unlikely because I was under the impression that Alex didn't go too lore heavy for Beowulf.) Either are a perfect time for a certain character to make an appearance:
7. Double Helix: Double.
8. One is the Loneliest Number: He loses his teammate? Whoever that may be? I'm starting to wonder if this story mode will make me sad. Or he beat Double and now he's the only Beowulf left. "There can be only one!!!!"
9. Distant Worlds III: Makes me think he's going for his showdown with Marie.
10. Knocking on Heaven's Door: Ending 1- Beowulf dies? And he is remembered a great timeless hero, with giant monument in his honor. Women cry.
11. Ain't no Mountain High Enough: Ending 2- Beowulf stands as the still undefeated champion. He's found purpose, a life, a love and is ready for the sequel.
12. Rock n' Roll Gangsta: Ending 3- Beowulf talks Cerebella out of the mafia.

Really fun and clever challenge! Really enjoyed it.

Hm... since you've put it that way excuse me as I use your content as a format of how I interpret the playlist:

1. True Hollywood Story Theme: We see Beowulf's backstory, maybe before his career as a wrestler.
2. You think I ain't worth a dollar, but I feel like a Millionaire: Beowulf has a very messy appearance but he's actually rich OR people don't think he's worth anything because he retired early but he's actually feeling really contempt by letting go of his guilt from killing Grendel's mother.
3. Sharpen the Blades: I feel that this is only mood music where Beowulf fights against Grendel.
4. Perverse Nurse: He meets Valentine. Oddly, this occurrence with Valentine seems earlier than the rest of the cast (others would have Valentine fight with Double), meaning that he'd have a special meeting with her. If it's revealed somehow that Beowulf is FtM, that would mean that this is when Beowulf either gets teased by Valentine that he's not a natural man or receives surgery (from the Labs probably).
5. Now You're a Man: OK, OK it's either Beowulf being an FtM transgender, a girl who was cosmetically changed into a man, or that it's a mood song where Beowulf feels proud that he can come out of his retirement. Maybe all of them.
6. Who am I?: If Beowulf is trans: he would wonder if he's a man or a woman, and wonder if he would be able to wish upon the Skull Heart or not, knowing the Skull Heart's nature of fulfilling women's wishes, not men's. If otherwise: He wonders what his use to the world will be. He wonders if he has a purpose or not. Is he a hero or a killer?
7. Double Helix: He fights against Double. This would be before Marie, as she tells him "You will regret challenging the Skullgirl."
8. One is the Loneliest Number: I wonder if Grendel will be involved in this. Somehow Grendel saves Beowulf from... maybe Double and dies in front of Beowulf, forgiving him for murdering his mother.
9. You're Not Alone: OK maybe there's Grendel, maybe not. Someone from the cast will comfort Beowulf after the One is the Loneliest Number scene and become his assist against Marie.

Possible Endings:
10. Knocking on Heaven's Door: Beowulf dies, just like in the poem. Perhaps it's the effect of him wishing on the Skull Heart, maybe it's something else.
11. Ain't no Mountain High Enough: Beowulf finds ultimate victory and celebrates it (romantically?) with the character from the You're Not Alone scene.
12. Rock n' Roll Gangsta: Beowulf joins the Mafia. This would be more possible if Cerebella becomes the supporting character (and assist?).

If there are more speculations like this I might put them in the OP.

I don't want Beowulf to become evil either, but it's still a possibility. Who knows if he thinks the Mafia is actually doing good? I hope not.

well my guess is that he's going to support Bella cause he would feel some sort of connection with her. Most likely showing her what kind of person Valtie really is and helping her and Fang get out of the circus, and maybe into the ring. Bella as a star wrestler and Feng as... uh... idk supporting coach?

Idk i just want to see bella hang with beo in the end enjoying a good icecream, both bashed and bruised from taking down the skullgirl together.

Cerebella: "That was the best fight I have ever had in my life."

Beo: "Yeah you said it kid."

"..."

Beo: "Do you want to do this sorta thing in the ring? Make it like a tagteam special? The crowds would love it."

Bella: "Nah, I've got someone to take care of. And the circus act won't be the same without me. But for right now I just want to enjoy this moment." *places ice pack on her head and uses vice versa to playfuly punch beo's arm*

I may have forgotten a song or two. I might remember to add them the day before the story mode drops.

This isn't really lore related but, @Night Phyre now that it's revealed that you are the voice actor could you tell us who else auditioned for the role? Specifically I want to know if Ian Sinclair was ever considered. If that falls under an NDA then I completely understand.

This isn't really lore related but, @Night Phyre now that it's revealed that you are the voice actor could you tell us who else auditioned for the role? Specifically I want to know if Ian Sinclair was ever considered. If that falls under an NDA then I completely understand.
In reality, the full list was never revealed to me, nor do I understand that to be common procedure (it certainly isn't with any other type of contracting I regularly do). I have no idea if Ian Sinclair was ever considered. I was let in on a some names, but I'll refrain from mentioning them out of professional courtesy. What I do know (and will share) is that the auditions represented a selection of major video game and anime voice actors, so I suppose Ian Sinclair could very well have been among the auditions.

That double helix music video was the weirdest video I have ever seen ever. Weirder than the "Turn down for what" music video.........Don't watch that video FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DONT DO IT!!!!!

So according to the Skullgirls Wiki, Peacock said "[...] make it out to Andy!" in her quotes, right?

I heard the clip and she said "Hey <something>, make it out to Annie!" That "something" sounds like SAI-mus. It sounds very weird. I though it would be "sign us" but there's an "m" sound. What if that name is Beowulf's real (or just his non-Beowulf name) name? It might be Seamus, based on popular Beowulf translator Seamus Heaney. I found that you pronounce is as "SHAY-mus" when I thought it's pronounced "SEE-mus". The pronounciation of Seamus as "SAI-mus" might be an effect of Peacock's accent.

It might be a stretch, though. I also wonder how Peacock and the gang would know Beowulf's real name.

I heard her say "Sign this, and make it out ta' Andy!"
I have no idea how that turned to Seamus.

E:
Re-listened to it and she says "Hey! sign this, and make it out ta' Andy!"

Last edited:
I really can't wait until Beowulf's biography page appears on the main site.
But I don't remember if that typically comes after he's released.

... Alright, I can't resist. Here's my theories as to what everything could mean.

1)Nostalgia/memories/backstory

2) We're back baby! (Beo deciding to come out of retirement)

3)Painwheel was the first character I thought of, but I doubt that's what this is. Maybe someone is coming after Beowulf? Lyrics mention "cleansing of the soul", maybe that's important? "sharpen the blades and cut through opposition" ->Maybe Beo is taking down people opposed to him returning?

4).... Yeah probably Valentine.

5)... Can't believe you threw this in here! Hilarious movie. This is such a wacky pick, I'm not really sure what to make of it... Where it's placed, it could mean Beo bangs Val, but I doubt it. I'm guessing this is actually more backstory about Beowulf's motivation to be a wrestler in the first place. I'm guessing he had some love interest that he wanted to impress.

<Maybe some missing scenes/fights here>

6)Beowulf likely questioning is motivations/self-worth/identity. I'm guessing around here (maybe in that missing earlier section...) someone revealed something about his past, like maybe something about the Grendal fight was rigged making his victory and subsequent fame weren't really his doing, but someone pulling the strings. I feel this fits nicely into the "someone's trying to stop his return" idea, since if someone was pulling the strings, him coming out of retirement might throw off their plans.

7)Weird ass music vid.... Anyways, probably a Double fight. That seems too obvious though... based on what came before (him questioning who he is), this could be a mirror match fight where Beowulf faces himself (his "double"...... Stunt double? nah) as a sort of symbolic fight for him regaining his confidence in himself.

8)So, Beowulf is by himself or he lost someone. I'm guessing it's the love interest from earlier (that got him to start fighting). My guess is that she(?) was either captured or killed by whoever is trying to stop Beo from coming out of retirement.

9)....OHMYGOD I love Final Fantasy IX (and its soundtrack), I can't believe you put this in here too <3
*ahem* ANYWAYS. Hearing this, most likely Beo finds some friends who are willing to help him either A)Find/get the people who kidnapped/killed the person he cares about, or B)This is the resolution to the identity crisis posed at #6.

Hmmm... Based on this new insight, maybe the flow of #'s 6,7, 8, and 9 goes something more like this:

6)Beowulf learns that his love interest and person who got him to start wrasslin', who he possibly married(?), was actually in cahoots with the people pulling the strings in his career and didn't actually care for him, making his life a lie.

7)Beowulf confronting his self doubts in the form of a mirror could still be thing... OR!
The person/love interest in question was actually Double all along! Then, this fight is a fight vs. Double, but Beowulf is also technically fighting the person he cares about :O

8)You win (of course) but in doing so Beo now must face the truth that the person he cared about was a fake and (possibly) years of his life were seemingly meaningless and he believes himself to be alone in the world. Maybe he's thinking of killing himself (would be pretty dark, but maybe).

9)His friends show up to give him some much needed moral support and Beo is able to pull himself together ( :PUN: ). Beo maybe decides to go after whoever was pulling the strings.

<possibly some missing scenes/fights here>

~Endings~
10)Well. I'd say either 1)this is depressing and Beo died by actually killing himself, 2)This is depressing and he died as a result of fighting whoever was the mastermind (maybe he fights the medici's and Bella winds up offing him? =[) or, 3)This is supposed to be more bittersweet than sad, Beo didn't actually die but the resolution wasn't exactly happy (like he couldn't rescue the person he was possibly trying to save?). (I'm actually going to call it now and say we get a bittersweet ending)

11)Yay happy end! Maybe/probably? Based on some of the lyrics, maybe he does rescue the love interest/whoever, who was captured?

Now that I think about... Maybe the Double mess from earlier wasn't that Double had been there the entire time through his career. Maybe Double just replaced the important person in his life, he goes off to rescue them, and succeeds.

12)lol this music really gives my the 60's/70's "love funk" vibe.
Happy Bella end? An "into the sunset" ending? Not really sure with this one. Could be him just returning back to the ring, even after all that's happened

So yeah. I have to say, I'm pretty hyped for Beo's story now, after these hints. The DLC story modes have really been stepping up their game compared to the vanilla stories (which I mostly found kind of ho-hum).

I haven't been trying to decipher Night Phyre's clues because;

A. He could very well be taking us all for a ride for shits and giggles.
B. I want to experience the story without any possible spoilers.

I won't make the same mistake I made with Gurren Lagann.

Last edited:
Back